As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Thing that shocked me
    Why was the girl with no arms the one driving?

Am I the only one who didn't notice that until the final scene of the first episode Friday? Because that made me feel really dumb.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Thing that shocked me
    Because she's the best driver obviously.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Thing that shocked me
    She was closest to the drivers seat when the driver bailed on them (since she was the one with the pointy water dagger pointing at this kidney).
    Didn't look like they had a bunch of space in the back of that truck, so shuffling around to let someone with hands get to the wheel doesn't really seem to be an option when the guards are about to bust in and ruin their day get their days ruined.

• Options
    Let's be honest though. The real reason is because it was hilarious.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Also because she had least access to her element maybe?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    On a bridge?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2014
    So, question: No-Arm Girl is the first we've seen of a waterbender doing the water-arms thing, right? I didn't recall having seen it. But then later on, wasn't there a scene with one of the good benders also doing the water-arms thing? Was I mistaken about seeing someone else do it? And if not, are these the only two waterbenders who've done it? And if so, is there any significance there?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Huh? Using water as a limb extension is something both Katara and Aang did in the cave fight under Ba Sing Se IIRC. But that was more like a pair of whips connected to the arms. Forming it into an actual limb doesn't seem much of a stretch though, based on that – I figure most waterbenders just never see the need?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So, question: No-Arm Girl is the first we've seen of a waterbender doing the water-arms thing, right? I didn't recall having seen it. But then later on, wasn't there a scene with one of the good benders also doing the water-arms thing? Was I mistaken about seeing someone else do it? And if not, are these the only two waterbenders who've done it? And if so, is there any significance there?

Define arm thing. Katara and other water benders semi routinely used the technique. But for them it was more an extension of their regular limbs whereas Ming Hua uses them as actual limbs.

Quid on
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »
    On a bridge?

Compared to the rest, yes. That was a pretty high bridge, IIRC.
    And somebody has to drive, if you're going by who's got the easiest access to their abilities, the water bender falls behind the guy who can create tornadoes with the air, the guy who can turn the road they're on into lava and the chick who can blow stuff up with her mind.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone else has ever done 'arms with fingers', but there are plenty of water-tentacles made in the original series.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just catching up. Zaheer's Earth Guy is really something else.
    Superheating the shuriken in his first ep was fair enough, but just turning a patch of stone into magma in a second? Ho shit. I wonder if a firebender could manipulate superheated rock?

These guys are all super bad news.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Superheating the shuriken in his first ep was fair enough, but just turning a patch of stone into magma in a second? Ho shit. I wonder if a firebender could manipulate superheated rock?

Roku and Ozai gave it the old college try.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Roku and Ozai gave it the old college try.
    Now how about Toph

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Worrying thought:
    If he can heat rock, can he heat metal? Like, the metal that makes up most of the city that the person he's after is protected by?
    I wonder if Korra ever played 'the floor is lava' as a kid...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

Worrying thought:
    If he can heat rock, can he heat metal? Like, the metal that makes up most of the city that the person he's after is protected by?
    Floor is lava? Probably not.
    Floor is razor sharp ice spikes? I could see that being a game.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »

Worrying thought:

Come on now klemming.

Zaofu is the safest place in the world.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I can already tell this is going to be this series's "There is no war in Ba Sing Se"

• Options
    At a guess

造福

Is Zaofu's characters. Means to create benefit.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    the thing with the goofy dude who had his head shaved and then sensed the incoming net with scalp ripples made me lose my shit

i may be biased because i have a shaved head but that was so perfect

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Episodes 4 & 5 showed up on Amazon today, not sure about other streaming services.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Since it is mid-week and I am starved for Korra, anyone care for some art appreciation?

tumblr_n92osgVPNh1tg23rco1_500.jpg

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Ok just saw the episodes.

"She has no arms" is the new "Toph is blind."

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    "Can you give me a hand?"

"No."

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "Sorry, I prefer a hands-off approach."

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen Toph's boyfriend?

Neither has Toph.

• Options
    Since it is mid-week and I am starved for Korra, anyone care for some art appreciation?

https://33.media.tumblr.com/f800c53a62a2da31609757bca1ac140c/tumblr_n92osgVPNh1tg23rco1_500.jpg

"Devotion to Mother" fyi hth

• Options
    I really appreciate what a shitty parent Toph was. Following Aang last season, these goofy hero kids who could do no wrong really weren't all that cut out for babbys, huh?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Opal is adorable and I'm very happy that Bolin has finally gotten to meet a nice girl.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else notice that during their fight Lin used mostly earth-bending and Suyin used mostly metal-bending. That was the most earth-bending I think we've ever seen Lin use. Not quite sure what that was trying to say, but I thought it was interesting.

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that during their fight Lin used mostly earth-bending and Suyin used mostly metal-bending. That was the most earth-bending I think we've ever seen Lin use. Not quite sure what that was trying to say, but I thought it was interesting.

I'd imagine that Lin mostly sticks to metal bending in the city to minimize collateral damage. Tearing up a chunk of road to smash a getaway car would probably be frowned on.
    But, when it comes to laying a beat down on a younger sibling that's got it coming, it's giant rock time. Accept no substitute.

• Options
    I kinda imagine Lin's metalbending is limited to the stuff she uses as a cop - the cable things, maybe stopping cars or moving false walls. She's got very rigid uses for it, whereas Su does creative metalbending every day.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I kinda imagine Lin's metalbending is limited to the stuff she uses as a cop - the cable things, maybe stopping cars or moving false walls. She's got very rigid uses for it, whereas Su does creative metalbending every day.

I highly doubt that's true.

You're talking about Toph's daughter.

I liked the idea that earth is just way more dangerous and she thought "fuck it, this ain't my city, let's throw some rocks"

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    They made it a point to play up that Lin was weakened by the whole acupuncture thing, so she may have been sticking to earthbending because of it. Like, I'm pretty sure if they fought again when Lin was at full strength, she'd win.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So, Opal for Airbender member of Team Avatar? Or one season character?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Lin might also have been a little hesitant to metalbend as how she got her scar was still pretty fresh in her mind following the acupuncture memory.

I'd be ok with her sticking around, but she's just a one season character. Team avatar already has two airbenders (three if you count Kai who is the much more likely one to stick around).

• Options

What are the odds for "surprise twsit: she's a villain"?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

What are the odds for "surprise twsit: she's a villain"?

What's her motivation for that?

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Lin might also have been a little hesitant to metalbend as how she got her scar was still pretty fresh in her mind following the acupuncture memory.

I'd be ok with her sticking around, but she's just a one season character. Team avatar already has two airbenders (three if you count Kai who is the much more likely one to stick around).

I think if Kai remains a character, then neither he nor Jinora are going to be "Team Avatar". If Kai leaves somehow, I could Jinora taking a more permanent place, especially if she gets her tatoos.

Otherwise, I see Opal being a much more emotionally integrated member of the team.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I'm figuring that Opal is going to be like Suki. Features prominently in a few episodes and shows up for major moments but is very much a background character.