As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    http://korranation.tumblr.com/post/92735712934/book-3-moving-to-digital-release?vcs=social_20140724_28387386

So basically after this weeks episode, the remaining episodes will appear digitally all throughout August.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is it? How much of the viewership, especially here on the forum, watch it day and date on Nickelodean? It doesn't even air in my country on Nick, Korra has pretty much always been an online show for me. It's not any less of a show because of its delivery method. :p

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Is it? How much of the viewership, especially here on the forum, watch it day and date on Nickelodean? It doesn't even air in my country on Nick, Korra has pretty much always been an online show for me. It's not any less of a show because of its delivery method. :p

It's not less of a show, it's just a little disturbing the way Nick is treating it. Digital is growing, but going from TV to digital in the middle of a season still smacks as a downgrade in status, at least in the network's eyes.

Ah well, I'm just happy we're getting the episodes at all.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm one of those people who have season 3 all unwatched on my DVR for later, but that's because I'm trying to find where I can watch season 2. Since nick.com doesn't have all the episodes for season 2 and there aren't any reruns on any of their channels.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's not less of a show, it's just a little disturbing the way Nick is treating it. Digital is growing, but going from TV to digital in the middle of a season still smacks as a downgrade in status, at least in the network's eyes.

It could be a sign that they're starting to experiment with digital-only. (If they have a show that'd do well like that, I'd say Korra over anything else they've got)
    This could be taken as a sign that they're starting to move away from the old system of ad support and Nielsen ratings as barometers of how something's doing.

I doubt it is, but it could be.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

It could be a sign that they're starting to experiment with digital-only. (If they have a show that'd do well like that, I'd say Korra over anything else they've got)
    This could be taken as a sign that they're starting to move away from the old system of ad support and Nielsen ratings as barometers of how something's doing.

I doubt it is, but it could be.

They need experiment with it with a show that isn't Korra. :(

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Meh. Nick execs can hold daily meetings talking about how Korra is a stupid show made of poop and I don't much care, as long as they still give me a venue to watch the show. It's not like Nickelodeon is a big priority of mine. We watch Korra and various shows in the Carlyverse and that's about it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    The first five episodes have finally appeared on Nick's streaming page.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    It's a shame that this stuff is probably an indication of poor performance, but if it leads to someone else picking up the show and doing things like "competent and timely internet streaming" then I'm all for it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    They've already paid for Book 4, right?
    So there's not reason not to get those episodes finished and release them?

If I had to guess they're just starting to animate the first episodes, so we're probably to the point that it would be a bigger waste of money to Nick to pull the plug now than to go ahead and finish it and get some return on their investment. At least that's the hope.

Still... moving to digital? Christ. I mean, yay for getting to see the new episodes and stuff like Orange is the New Black has been successes on digital and all, but man. This reads like almost as big of a slap in the face as it would have been to just cancel it, never to be seen again.
    At the same time, I would have killed for Tron: Uprising to have gone to digital instead of getting killed in a single awesome season due to the usual corporate diddling. Good shows going straight to digital works just fine for me, because that takes me one step closer to being able to ignore the shitpit of broadcast TV where anything less than super-hits get cancelled.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    welp this is definitely the last season then

I hope the game still comes out

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    welp this is definitely the last season then

I hope the game still comes out

Since Season 4 is already being made (i.e. they spent the money), it seems silly not to air it, even if it's only online.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    oh, sweet

4 seasons is a good run and it's crazy we're getting that

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Did they actually start the animation at one point?

All I remember hearing for certain was that voice work was being done. For a cartoon, the voice work is cheap compared to the animation work, so if they haven't started that it could still get cancelled.

Also, I highly doubt Nick would ever let go of the Avatar IP. Typical corporate logic is "if I can't make money off it, then no one will"

• Options
    SiracSirac Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Did they actually start the animation at one point?

All I remember hearing for certain was that voice work was being done. For a cartoon, the voice work is cheap compared to the animation work, so if they haven't started that it could still get cancelled.

Also, I highly doubt Nick would ever let go of the Avatar IP. Typical corporate logic is "if I can't make money off it, then no one will"

The last official word I remember is that all preproduction work was done. Like, done to the point that all that staff had come to the end of their contracts and been turned loose because they had finished everything they needed to do. Voice work (excluding post-production stuff), backgrounds, storyboards, animatics - basically everything up to the point of actual animation being done. And I believe Mike mentioned in one of his posts on this fiasco that Mir was in fact still hard at work, so at the moment I would say that Book 4 is still a go.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Man I haven't watched Nickelodian in years.

Their intro and outro branding for commercials is so nostalgic. Makes me feel old.

Also, I was not aware that children still played with toys.

RT800 on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    But we don't buy shitty toys. So if they want a show that can push a line of cheaply-made merchandise on an undiscerning public, Korra ain't it.

They tried giving us shitty toys for TLA, and apparently they didn't sell very well. Because they were shitty. Then they gave us toys from that war crime of a movie they made, which nobody bought because nobody wants to buy action figures commemorating a war crime.*

(*Battle-Action Space Hitler was the worst action figure ever. Though Ninja Goebbels with Kung Fu Grip was admittedly cool.)

From what I've seen, the toys weren't shitty...

they just were missing half the cast in favor of an obscene number of Aang variants.

No Iroh, no Katara, no Toph, no Azula, but if you wanted a transparent version of Aang, you were set.

Heres the thing woth TLA toys- Mattel made them.( I think)

Mattel bloooooooows. They dont understand that kids dont need or want a million ve.rsions of the hero. They dont get that villians can be just as popular or that lady figures sell.

The other issue is articulation. Your Twilight net armor Aang figure could do liretally no action poses from the show.

Revoltech recently made TMNT figures for the new show though. Theres a decent chance Uhvatar could be next

Revoltech also kinda sucks when it comes to details - especially faces. I guess their main competitor is Play Arts, who don't usually fair much better, but myaaah. Ideal manufacturer of Korra toys; Figma. A little higher end than Revoltech, but still cheaper than Play Arts, they mostly do anime stuff, but have also picked up licenses for Nintendo and Marvel figures. I've yet to see a bad figure from them.

There's Bandai's SH Figuarts line and related ones, plus their Tamashii Bluefin distribution arm is pretty good about knowing what western fans want

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I now believe that Spongebob Squarepants is actually a real person/sponge and the one that's really in charge of running Nickelodeon.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    RT800 wrote: »
    Also, I was not aware that children still played with toys.

I was a kid when that switch happened. It was a major cybernetic event. Like the men in the bunker who first saw an officer's glowing watch, I'm a new type of human. Fuckers gotta deal. I gotta deal with the kids who have Twitter figured out at 8.

But the weirdest thing is that it just happened. Like, everybody shoved their toys under their bed all at once and nobody even fucking knew.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    TMNT has a following in Japan, which is why there's merchandise from some small company (they use Revoltech joints but they aren't from the actual company that does the Revoltech line) coming out for the hardcore Turtle otaku.

Avatar does not have a notable following in Japan.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    TMNT has a following in Japan, which is why there's merchandise from some small company (they use Revoltech joints but they aren't from the actual company that does the Revoltech line) coming out for the hardcore Turtle otaku.

It does have quite a number of pages of Japanese fanart on Pixiv though.

Westaboos exist.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    So the Korra panel is today at 11:15 AM PDT (so 2:15 EDT)

Hopefully we'll get an explanation for why they made the change?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It does have quite a number of pages of Japanese fanart on Pixiv though.

Westaboos exist.

Yes but I'm saying there would have been some kind of Japan-only Avatar merch by now if it was any kind of big deal there, don't you think? TMNT had Japan-only OVAs produced back when the original cartoon was around and they've had a small but steady stream of merchandise over there since.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So the Korra panel is today at 11:15 AM PDT (so 2:15 EDT)

Hopefully we'll get an explanation for why they made the change?

From a friend at the panel's paraphrasing:
    "not cancelled, ratings were much higher online than on Nick, going up next Friday through the end of August" - this was from the Nickelodeon executive, who is moderating the panel
    They're talking about book 4 as if it were a done deal, so that's promising

antherem on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Is there just one episode tonight?

• Options
    I think there's no ep tonight at all, then one next week, then every week after that, one shows up online, but I might be wrong.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What are people expecting? They're not going to bash Nick, and I thought it was pretty agreed that the ratings stunk and that this is Nick just freeing up their schedule for something that will either A)Get higher ratings or B)Sell more commercials

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    What are people expecting? They're not going to bash Nick, and I thought it was pretty agreed that the ratings stunk and that this is Nick just freeing up their schedule for something that will either A)Get higher ratings or B)Sell more commercials

We're hoping for a confirmation on Book 4

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I think there's no ep tonight at all, then one next week, then every week after that, one shows up online, but I might be wrong.

There's one episode tonight. There was going to be two.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I'd believe that. Is it on TV or online?

The original news article was like "we've cancelled all the episodes yet to air except one on August 1st" and I wasn't sure if something had been officially announced to change that.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    The first five episodes have finally appeared on Nick's streaming page.
    ugh, how hard is it to put season/episode number on the videos, Nick?!?!?!? SHEESH

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

The original news article was like "we've cancelled all the episodes yet to air except one on August 1st" and I wasn't sure if something had been officially announced to change that.

TV, I assume.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

TV, I assume.

Spoilered for episode titles
    Tonight: The Terror Within (on Nick at 8)
    8/1: The Stakeout (Online)
    8/8: Long Live The Queen (Online)
    8/15: The Ultimatum (Online)
    8/22: Enter The Void (Online)
    ???: Venom of the Red Lotus

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    "By the time we got to Book Two, the numbers of digital streaming, they greatly outweighed what happened on the channel. Nickelodeon has had a hard time to fit it into their programming. The Book Two finale had insane numbers when it streamed online–it was the biggest number they had all year. It’s just part of this shift. It definitely caught us by surprise. The important thing is the show is NOT cancelled!"

As a warning the link below has some spoilers for the new episode below the picture of Korra.
    http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2014/07/25/sdcc-2014-legend-korra-panel-live/

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    That's pretty believable to me; that the TV numbers would be abysmal but the online numbers would be surprisingly large.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm willing to bet more and more shows directed at younger audiences are going to start making that discovery.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Especially ones with multiple demographic appeal.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    As my cousin's wife told me the other day when watching her 2 year old complain about the cartoon showing on TV.

"She has discovered that when we watch Netflix, we can watch anything we want. Not just what is on TV."

Adults and kids are the same in that regard. We would rather watch something of our own will than sit through bad shows to get to the good one.

It's just a matter of time before it shifts. Question is just if we are then looking at a subscription model for future shows (Netflix ex.) or if advertisers are let in through the backdoor (Youtube ex.).

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yeah I have definitely noticed a thing with my friend's kids where they do not watch TV

Like... at all.

It's almost exclusively Netflix/Prime/other streaming on iPads/Kindles

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Have you watched kids TV lately? There's Korra, Adventure Time, and... that's it. 99% is absolute dreck. Not surprised that decent parents aren't letting their kids watch shit like Uncle Grandpa

Oh brilliant