As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Attention Citizens, Please Be On Alert for an Escaped [Super Hero Movie Thread].

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

nothing it ever objective when it comes to movies, or art in general really

I used to say that and you never agreed with me

you've changed man

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I blame it on....Obama?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I would be perfectly happy with an Angela book written or co-written by Gillen

But man, the thought of him on The View makes me giggle

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    if they're terrible why do you like them

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Oh man, I totally disagree about there not being anything objective to judge about art. This is probably because most of my family, friends and colleagues are artists or work in the arts, but I'm all judgemental up ins.

Sure, you can make assertions about the intention and that something you don't like is a deliberate stylistic choice... and that's fine and valid. But there also the craft that goes into creating the work of art, and you can definitely tell when someone is more skilled at getting their intention across.

Just last month I was doing a casting call and we had some 100 actors by, and yeah, acting is a diffuse art and all that, but some people are just better at it than others.

Sometimes it's really hard to say which of any two works is the better, but it's not a contest, and you'd have to stretch real hard to say that Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li isn't a poorly made movie. Is it a failure of the director to get his intention across? Perhaps; but I'm not judging his intentions, I'm judging his work.

Again, saying that something is poorly made is not the same as saying you shouldn't enjoy it. I enjoy the fuck out of some awful stuff, and I'm happy to do so. And I dislike a bunch of movies, for whatever reason (The Departed was practically a shot for shot remake of Infernal Affairs and did not deserve the praise it got), while still being able to note that they were well made.

I haven't seen T4 (and I keep reading that as Terminator 4), so I don't make any claim about it, and I quite enjoyed the first one! But in terms of telling a cohesive story, the second and third movies were absolutely terrible. They were a spectacle, but so is a fireworks show; a movie has a story. And the storytelling in the Transformers movies is halfhearted at best. So yeah, I'll stand by the statement that the Transformers movies are objectively bad. They're poorly made stories with a whole lot of gloss thrown over to cover it up. Pretty, well-made gloss... but you can polish a turd, etc etc.

• Options
    the transformers movies are objectively movies

if there is even room for disagreement then it is objectively subjective

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    I think it's okay to admit that the Transformers movies are objectively awful, while it still being entirely okay for people to enjoy them.
    These are contradictory statements though

Presumably, the people who enjoy them don't think they are awful and thus they aren't, objectively

I think they're awful

I enjoy them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    -Tal wrote: »

Because enjoyment and quality aren't fixed at a 1:1 ratio. I like certain things more than other things, and if the things I enjoy are bountiful, I'm willing to forgive a lot more faults with the other things. Quality may be quantifiable, but enjoyment is entirely subjective.

Legba on
  • Options
    if they're awful then why do you enjoy them

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Same as above, duder.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I missed the discussion before but Constantine has fucked more than men and women, although it wasn't his choice and it's from Azzarello's run a bunch of people didn't like anyway. Pretty sure we've talked about it enough too much on the forums though.

But it is interesting that although Constantine has been canonically bisexual since his early days the only books where he actually has a relationship with other guys are disliked by most. Not because of the bisexuality but because of the other stuff. I liked Azzarello's run but it definitely was not quite your usual Hellblazer.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So Marve's Cosmic solicitations came out today (The fact that there's now enough books to have cosmic solicitations is pretty crazy awesome.) There's one "oh crap" announcement and one "god dammit" announcement.
    Sounds like Star-Lord is taking on Thanos in his solo book, so that could be cool.

And it also sounds like it's issue #20 that's going to reveal what happened in the cancerverse. Good lord I'm tired of them stretching this out - we have to wait till October for the full story now. :P

EDIT: Strangely, Silver Surfer isn't counted among the cosmic books. At least with Cyclops I can see him being more tied to the X-men, but I'm wondering what solicitation section they include Surfer in now? Spider-Man, due to the Slott connection?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Because I can enjoy very bad things for the parts of them that are enjoyable

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Because enjoyment and quality aren't synonymous? I like certain things more than other things, and if the things I enjoy are bountiful, I'm willing to forgive a lot more faults with the other things. Quality may be quantifiable, but enjoyment is entirely subjective.

if there are aspects of those movies that you enjoy, then could you not describe those aspects as subjectively good, or successful in their goal of entertaining you

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Because enjoyment and quality aren't synonymous? I like certain things more than other things, and if the things I enjoy are bountiful, I'm willing to forgive a lot more faults with the other things. Quality may be quantifiable, but enjoyment is entirely subjective.

if there are aspects of those movies that you enjoy, then could you not describe those aspects as subjectively good, or successful in their goal of entertaining you

Yes

but overall the movie is still bad

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Oh man, I totally disagree about there not being anything objective to judge about art. This is probably because most of my family, friends and colleagues are artists or work in the arts, but I'm all judgemental up ins.

Sure, you can make assertions about the intention and that something you don't like is a deliberate stylistic choice... and that's fine and valid. But there also the craft that goes into creating the work of art, and you can definitely tell when someone is more skilled at getting their intention across.

Just last month I was doing a casting call and we had some 100 actors by, and yeah, acting is a diffuse art and all that, but some people are just better at it than others.

Sometimes it's really hard to say which of any two works is the better, but it's not a contest, and you'd have to stretch real hard to say that Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li isn't a poorly made movie. Is it a failure of the director to get his intention across? Perhaps; but I'm not judging his intentions, I'm judging his work.

Again, saying that something is poorly made is not the same as saying you shouldn't enjoy it. I enjoy the fuck out of some awful stuff, and I'm happy to do so. And I dislike a bunch of movies, for whatever reason (The Departed was practically a shot for shot remake of Infernal Affairs and did not deserve the praise it got), while still being able to note that they were well made.

I haven't seen T4 (and I keep reading that as Terminator 4), so I don't make any claim about it, and I quite enjoyed the first one! But in terms of telling a cohesive story, the second and third movies were absolutely terrible. They were a spectacle, but so is a fireworks show; a movie has a story. And the storytelling in the Transformers movies is halfhearted at best. So yeah, I'll stand by the statement that the Transformers movies are objectively bad. They're poorly made stories with a whole lot of gloss thrown over to cover it up. Pretty, well-made gloss... but you can polish a turd, etc etc.

Objectively does not just mean "universally held to be true by observers," it also means "true regardless of observer." The laws of physics are objectively true even if we are not here to acknowledge that fact. All artistic creation, however, is subjective, because art requires an observer and without an observer nothing is art. The Transformers movies are not objectively anything, in an artistic sense, because their definition as art only exists in a subjective sense. You cannot prove objectively they are art, never mind prove either way that they are good or bad art.

The definitions by which art is art are held entirely by subjective opinion. The definitions by which art is good are held entirely by subjective opinion. Nothing is objectively good art. Nothing is objectively art. Nothing is objectively good.

Solar on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    You can argue about whether or not something is good

But you can also like something and still recognize that it's bad

What matters isn't the quantifiable mistakes and fuckups in the art itself, what matters is whether or not it appeals to you

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options

Yes

if you enjoy the movie overall because of those subjectively good aspects then can you not call it overall subjectively good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Yes

if you enjoy the movie overall because of those subjectively good aspects then can you not call it overall subjectively good

I could but it wouldn't feel genuine

I'm able to enjoy things for small good moments

But 80% of the transformers movies are shit

To me that makes it a bad movie that I enjoy

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I heard that Angela has a new series written by Gillen which makes me wonder if he's writing Doctor Strange like we suspected
    The current rumor is he's co-writing with Margurite Bennett which would definitely allow him to write Strange at the same time

I wonder if Gillen is a better writing teacher than Scott Snyder

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Seriously though, am I the only one who finds the mental image of Kieron Gillen in all his indie/emo music loving bratty British comics writer geekiness sitting down on a couch with Whooping Goldberg and whoever else is hosting The View these days and chatting about an exciting new comic inherently hilarious?

• Options
    if you only like ~20% of the movie I think a better way of expressing that would be "that movie is mostly pretty bad but there's a few parts I like"

"a bad movie that I enjoy" is, to me, a very confusing statement

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Seriously though, am I the only one who finds the mental image of Kieron Gillen in all his indie/emo music loving bratty British comics writer geekiness sitting down on a couch with Whooping Goldberg and whoever else is hosting The View these days and chatting about an exciting new comic inherently hilarious?

Nope. He needs to be wearing his new jacket too

• Options
    I mean even if you ignore the fact that human perception is not objective.

If you say something is objectively bad but you personally enjoy it then it cannot be objectively bad, now can it

What people mean is that something is, when held up to the consensus of quality, good or bad. The consensus of quality and the making thereof is another matter but it is at least accurate to say "this movie is bad by the generally agreed standards but I still liked it."

• Options
    you can of course appraise art objectively, such as on my favorite review site, objectivegamereviews.com

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    if you only like ~20% of the movie I think a better way of expressing that would be "that movie is mostly pretty bad but there's a few parts I like"

But

I enjoy watching the movie

And I think its bad

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am extremely disappointed with how Gamora has been advertised so far.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

nothing it ever objective when it comes to movies, or art in general really

yeah but really tho Bayformers is literal garbage

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

But

And I think its bad

my cpu simply cannot compute this

if you enjoy watching the movie surely it is doing something right, it must be good on some level to the point where the goodness outweighs the badness enough for you to enjoy it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

at what point did it become necessary to carefully word statements for minimal -Tal confusion, though?

Most people understand the concept of something being trashy but fun

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    "This film has many flaws and may fall short of a common standard in any one or several of the following areas: acting, storytelling structure, cinematography, visual effects, editing, attempts at commentary or satire, attempts to evoke any specific mood or emotion at all

Despite these failings (or indeed perhaps because of them) this biological unit was entertained by the experience of watching this film, perhaps due to: loud noises, bright primary colors, attempts at drama becoming comedic, a sense that everyone involved in the movie is aware it is a technically flawed work and thus further ignoring common standards and practices of professionalism, or maybe you get to see someone naked"

Except nobody has the time to lay all this shit out because we're not robots, so for a convenient shorthand we say "this was a pretty bad movie but I liked it anyway"

Furthermore, I hate all of you

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Minimal -Tal Confusion is the name of my post-rock band

• Options
    like, I don't like getting personal but it seems like this problem is entirely yours

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    "This film has many flaws and may fall short of a common standard in any one or several of the following areas: acting, storytelling structure, cinematography, visual effects, editing, attempts at commentary or satire, attempts to evoke any specific mood or emotion at all

Despite these failings (or indeed perhaps because of them) this biological unit was entertained by the experience of watching this film, perhaps due to: loud noises, bright primary colors, attempts at drama becoming comedic, a sense that everyone involved in the movie is aware it is a technically flawed work and thus further ignoring common standards and practices of professionalism, or maybe you get to see someone naked"

Except nobody has the time to lay all this shit out because we're not robots, so for a convenient shorthand we say "this was a pretty bad movie but I liked it anyway"

Furthermore, I hate all of you

That's the spirit!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I didn't hate T4 but I just didn't really care about any of it. Which might be worse, I don't know.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options

But

And I think its bad

if you enjoy watching the movie surely it is doing something right, it must be good on some level to the point where the goodness outweighs the badness enough for you to enjoy it

Nah not really

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    like, I don't like getting personal but it seems like this problem is entirely yours

of course, how could I speak for anybody but myself

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

But

And I think its bad

Nah not really

Like the only movies I really don't like are movies that are too boring to sit through or have no redeeming qualities

Like Fellowship of the Ring

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Objectively does not just mean "universally held to be true by observers," it also means "true regardless of observer." The laws of physics are objectively true even if we are not here to acknowledge that fact. All artistic creation, however, is subjective, because art requires an observer and without an observer nothing is art. The Transformers movies are not objectively anything, in an artistic sense, because their definition as art only exists in a subjective sense. You cannot prove objectively they are art, never mind prove either way that they are good or bad art.

The definitions by which art is art are held entirely by subjective opinion. The definitions by which art is good are held entirely by subjective opinion. Nothing is objectively good art. Nothing is objectively art. Nothing is objectively good.

Look, I'm a moral relativist, and I don't really hold that there are too many, if any, truly objective truths in this world, so when I use the word "objective", you can assume that I'm speaking in terms somewhat below the very laws of nature.

That said, I'm discussing the skill used to express the artistic intent, not the intent itself. Saying that all art requires an observer is kind beside the point: A well-built house is objectively sturdier than a poorly built one, and a well-structured story is objectively more robust than a slap-dash mish-mash. Whether or not someone is there to experience the story, or there to live in the house is only relevant in that neither a story nor a house have meaning without an observer/occupant -- but meaning isn't essential to construction.

• Options
    While Chincy has awful opinions re: Lord of the Rings, he is at least correct in that a movie being boring is far worse, from an entertainment standpoint, than being absolutely terrible on any number of technical levels

If dramas or horror movies are complete disasters I can still find things to laugh at; being merely boring is the greatest sin of bad cinema

This discussion has been closed.