As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IIIIIIIIIII'm Hooked on a [Superhero Thread]

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    To continue my Bat-discussion with @Lars

I think the quibble I'm taking is with the word obsession. Entirely not your fault, but to me, obsession implies something psychologically irregular or deficient.

And I don't see that in Batman villains. Or rather not in the places you've cited. They're almost all delusional, but the examples you're citing aren't examples of their delusions. They're examples of their humanity. Freeze doesn't love Nora because he's crazy, he loves her because he is in love. He may be otherwise delusional, believing that he is the only one who can save her and refusing to accept any help, but what drives him is terribly, frighteningly normal.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    @mxmarks‌ I just caught up on the last thread and I noticed that no one answered your question about Secret Avengers.

Basically when Ales Kot took over the book, he added MODOK and it became immediately a 100% better book. Just start with Secret Avengers vol. 3: To M.A.I.M. a Mockingbird, you'll be fine.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    F8WbWZn.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    IT IS APPROPRIATE TO CLAP!

CLAP FOR M.O.D.O.K.!

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    two face is definitely often depicted with severe ocd and having to make decisions based on the outcome of a coinflip

i really liked the arkham asylum comic where his treatment was to try and get him to move past 50/50 chance and start using a dice and then a bigger dice and then cards, trying to pull him out of it.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    so the spider-verse panel gave basically no new information about the event but announced two mini-series by bad writers

hooray

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    two face is definitely often depicted with severe ocd and having to make decisions based on the outcome of a coinflip

i really liked the arkham asylum comic where his treatment was to try and get him to move past 50/50 chance and start using a dice and then a bigger dice and then cards, trying to pull him out of it.

Yeah true

I'm down with that, so long as it is comorbid with the dissociative identity disorder

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Joaquin Phoenix is a very good actor.

It'd be an interesting choice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I really want to play a game of One Last Job based on M.O.D.O.K.'s 11.

• Options
    Joaquin Phoenix is a good actor and I have full confidence in him and all that

But it's not one of those choices that feels either inspired (RDJ) or totally out of left field (Pratt)

Which just leaves me feeling lukewarm

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    so the spider-verse panel gave basically no new information about the event but announced two mini-series by bad writers

hooray

I like Gage! Or at least his Avengers Academy run.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Is Joaquin Phoenix the dude from her

Isn't he known for being uh

Fairly difficult to work with/sorta flighty

I don't know if you should build a franchise around that

But I mean I guess that's what they did with RDJ

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I liked Gage's X-Men Legacy too.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Thorn413 wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    I am sure Avengers 2 is going to be good but I was honestly a little bit disappointed that it looks like they've just done the thing where there's a whole lot of cannon fodder enemies again.

Honestly the New York showdown was my least favorite part of the movie, the aliens were just kind of running around generally causing havoc and the only sense of peril I felt came when SHIELD sent that missile. There just wasn't much... I don't know if this are the right word but I want to say it didn't have much direction, the alien strategy seemed to be 'go through the portal and then....just kind of run around randomly blowing things up I guess?

causing general chaos, yeah

there was at least one bit where they cornered some people and were about to kill them when Captain America showed up

I mean

what did you want them to do? There's no objective for them to go for - no flag to capture, so to speak.

So, yeah, they just went around blowing stuff up, hunting down humans, and fighting the Avengers

I guess I'm saying that "peril" wasn't really what Whedon was going for? "hopelessness" maybe. For all the damage the heroes are doing, the Chitauri aren't exactly relenting.

It doesn't seem it, but I'm under the impression the fight lasted for at least an hour - there's a bit towards the beginning where a cop (Enver Gjokaj) says it'll be an hour before the national guard can mobilize. Then towards the end, Potts is listening to the news which claims the Army has gotten involved.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Joaquin Phoenix is an actor-ass actor

He damn near burned his entire career down for the sake of a mockumentary nobody could know was fake until it was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz6CU7pgiKc

If he's interested in playing Doctor Strange, he will 100% fully commit to it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

he spent a year doing a bit for that "I'm not there" thing but I'm not sure there have been a lot of reports about him being super difficult to work with

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    a bit disappointed with Marvel's SDCC "live" feed. Turned it on today and it's looping videos from yesterday

I don't know what I was expecting, exactly, but looping interviews weren't included

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    RDJ was a washed up drug addict so I doubt they're too worried about Phoenix being difficult

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I have read zero recent spider man things but like

is this spider verse thing as dumb as it looks?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NU8j7t1.jpg?1

• Options
    Also, a Star-Lord print by Francesco Francavilla:

WamAeLY.jpg

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I have read zero recent spider man things but like

is this spider verse thing as dumb as it looks?

well we can't really know until it actually comes out

but it is looking that way

the main villain is possibly the worst villain they ever tried to make a big deal out of

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Also, a Star-Lord print by Francesco Francavilla:

WamAeLY.jpg

where do i buy this immediately

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    At the Mondo booth at SDCC :(

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    What else has Francesco Francavilla arted

He's like 80% of why Afterlife with Archie is so damned good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    There's

TheBlackBeetle_NoWayOut_01_variant_cover_low.jpg

Which I need to read at some point

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Hey is that Francavilla Black Beetle thing from the last thread available digitally?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I'm kind of surprised that Afterlife with Archie is apparently as good as it is

I mean, I know I for one am kind of immediately turned off by the "take a franchise and fill it with zombies" approach to storytelling

So it's interesting to me that Afterlife with Archie has made that great

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Joolander wrote: »
    Hey is that Francavilla Black Beetle thing from the last thread available digitally?

Yes, but it's a Dark Horse book so you can only buy it from Dark Horse: https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/3681.the-black-beetle-no-way-out-1-4-bundle/

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

https://digital.darkhorse.com/browse/volume/565/

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Furu wrote: »

hooray

I like Gage! Or at least his Avengers Academy run.

Yeah Christos Gage is decent enough writer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Oh my god, one of the SDCC exclusive minifigs is The Collector:

lego-minifigs-630x558.jpg

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Marvel has been very light on announcements

2 Spider-Verse minis

A Cap digial series

Rage of Ultron OGN

I'm hoping they announce a bunch of books at the Avengers NOW panel in a hour

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Is that the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh

• Options
    I think SDCC is just more focused towards the film/TV stuff. The comics announcements seem to go to NYCC/Emerald City/C2E2.

This discussion has been closed.