Options

[Marvel MCU] This thread is wrapped, in some kind of rope or wire. Find the new one!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    With Ronan,
    they don't need to bring him back as they can always just introduce some other accuser with a personality closer to that of the comics.
    They should bring him back, as a clone or whatever. He's an awesome character - Ronan's got the potential to be Marvel's next Loki.

Recurring villains need to be people who plot and plan, intricate and elaborate plans that can be different from film to film.

Red Skull could come back, Hammer could come back, Hydra and Loki will obviously be back, but you won't see the Abomination again because he's such a one-trick pony. Villains with complex motivations get to show up again and again, villains with simple ones do not.

Abomination is probably better developed than those other villains except for Loki. They gave him quite a bit of screen time and set up his motivation pretty well. There's also more psychological elements to his character development than the other villains. The whole idea of Blonsky being an aging soldier who still wanted to remain useful and was willing to subject himself to dangerous experiments to do it was pretty interesting.

it is but I dont know he just didn't have the charisma that loki did. hell he wasn't even that imposing I'm sure that could be solved though

Blonsky had greater depth when he wasn't the Abomination, once he transformed he became another blood lusted psychopath. Nothing was unique about him anymore.

• Options
    With Ronan,
    they don't need to bring him back as they can always just introduce some other accuser with a personality closer to that of the comics.
    They should bring him back, as a clone or whatever. He's an awesome character - Ronan's got the potential to be Marvel's next Loki.

Recurring villains need to be people who plot and plan, intricate and elaborate plans that can be different from film to film.

Red Skull could come back, Hammer could come back, Hydra and Loki will obviously be back, but you won't see the Abomination again because he's such a one-trick pony. Villains with complex motivations get to show up again and again, villains with simple ones do not.

Abomination is probably better developed than those other villains except for Loki. They gave him quite a bit of screen time and set up his motivation pretty well. There's also more psychological elements to his character development than the other villains. The whole idea of Blonsky being an aging soldier who still wanted to remain useful and was willing to subject himself to dangerous experiments to do it was pretty interesting.

I liked Red Skull, they can improve on the foundation from The First Avenger.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    With Ronan,

They could easily bring him in as the pawn of another villain/organization, as well. Hell, he could show up in Agents of SHIELD if they had the budget for it. They're technically responsible for containing the Gamma folk. Or they were.

There was a film short on the Thor DVD with Sitwell and Coulson talking about the SHIELD Council wanting Blonsky in the Avengers initiative. There was a line like:

Coulson - They want Blonksy on the team.
    Sitwell - The Abomination?!
    Sitwell -They really don't like when you call him that.

So they definitely haven't forgotten him, as of Avengers.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    It would be cool if they brought Blonsky back as a mercenary or some kind of independent contractor, especially if they depower him and return him to a human, with the enhanced abilities he got from the first serum he took. Tim Roth is a great actor and he would be a great recurring character on AoS. He could be like AoS's version of Deathstroke.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It would be cool if they brought Blonsky back as a mercenary or some kind of independent contractor...
    They could strike from the sky and then be gone in a flash like some sort of... thunder bolt.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    With Ronan,

They could easily bring him in as the pawn of another villain/organization, as well. Hell, he could show up in Agents of SHIELD if they had the budget for it. They're technically responsible for containing the Gamma folk. Or they were.

There was a film short on the Thor DVD with Sitwell and Coulson talking about the SHIELD Council wanting Blonsky in the Avengers initiative. There was a line like:

Coulson - They want Blonksy on the team.
    Sitwell - The Abomination?!
    Sitwell -They really don't like when you call him that.

So they definitely haven't forgotten him, as of Avengers.

Cross bones could free blonsky and they go work for hydra.

cap and hulk have to team up to save the day.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It would be cool if they brought Blonsky back as a mercenary or some kind of independent contractor, especially if they depower him and return him to a human, with the enhanced abilities he got from the first serum he took. Tim Roth is a great actor and he would be a great recurring character on AoS. He could be like AoS's version of Deathstroke.

I still want Loki to discover the Red Skull somewhere in the Nine Realms and they decide to take revenge on the Avengers, and the first thing they do is bust Abomination out of prison so they have someone to fight the hulk.

I.E. Undead Scottsman wants a Masters of Evil movie.

• Options

I still want Loki to discover the Red Skull somewhere in the Nine Realms and they decide to take revenge on the Avengers, and the first thing they do is bust Abomination out of prison so they have someone to fight the hulk.

Avengers 4

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I mean its also a forgone conclusion Cap 3 is going to be Capt taking down what's left of Hydra right?

sure throw in the Hulk

• Options
    I mean its also a forgone conclusion Cap 3 is going to be Capt taking down what's left of Hydra right?

sure throw in the Hulk

Red Skull has to return.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Avengers 4

Mmm-hmmm..

Avengers 6 would Kang. (Who is also the Thanos for Phase 4-5-6)

Not sure what to do for Avengers 5.. Kree/Skrull War?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Loki would be smart enough to know that he can't fight the Hulk with brute force. He'd do something more insidious like injecting Banner with Extremis or using one of those Asgardian rage staves on him.

• Options
    riposte_18riposte_18 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So, I just got done watching Captain America 2, and having watched GotG earlier, there's no more films before Avengers 2, so basically, we must have all the Phase 2 setup in place, via the movies and the chasers for Age of Ultron

So my theory for Avengers 2 is (spoilers for movies and chasers ... wait, do I need to do that anymore?)
    We know Hydra has Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (CA2 Chaser). We also know that Hydra has Loki's Staff (CA2 Chaser). And that Hydra has dabbled in supercomputers for maintaining a genius intellect (using disk tapes no less!). We know that Iron Man technically probably has bits of his tech strewn across the city, when he blew up all his suits

We know that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in Age of Ultron. Baron Strucker also made reference to an 'Age of Miracles', and he is cast as being in Age of Ultron too.

So my suggestion? Hydra is actually the behind the scenes bad guy for Avengers 2. They're working in some way with Ultron. This helps draw in the following Avengers
    - Captain America/Black Widow/Hawkeye - As former SHIELD Agents, they will naturally be working against Hydra
    - Thor - With Loki's Staff in the hands of Hydra, and Ultron in the source material being an AI who constantly upgrades himself, its logical that he might try and incorporate Asgard tech via Loki's Staff.
    - Iron Man - I suspect that Ultron will use Iron Man tech (where else would an advanced AI get advanced tech), either scavenging from his old tech, or trying to steal his newest shiny suit toy.
    - Hulk - Doesn't actually tie in nicely ... No real hints, but mostly because there's been no Hulk movie.

Essentially, with Strucker as the behind the scenes mastermind, Ultrons as the main bad guy and Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver as super powered henchmen, it maps with both what has been laid out in the earlier films, plus what we know of Avengers 2. It also posits why Ultron is a bad guy, as per Hydra's approach of 'Freedom through Control' maybe overlapping with Ultrons logic?

I don't have any idea how it will play out, but I like to think in Phase 1, you can clearly map the big bad in the Avengers, and the way all the heroes are brought together via the outcome of the earlier films in Phase 1. I like to think from the range of Phase 2 movies we have, we can piece together the setup and what draws our band of merry Avengers back together.

riposte_18 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Avengers 4

Mmm-hmmm..

Avengers 6 would Kang. (Who is also the Thanos for Phase 4-5-6)

Not sure what to do for Avengers 5.. Kree/Skrull War?

I'm still hedging my bets that gotg 2 will feature the time stone, and the original gotg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »

Didn't know that John Slattery was going to show up.

This could be far more awesome than I anticipated.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    A higher-res shot.

Well, behind-the-scenes drama or not, Paul Rudd is a good place to start for a leading man. I actually do think it'll work out well.

edzepp on
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    I like Paul Rudd. In his past comedies, he has demonstrated the presence and charisma to be the film's lead ('I Love You, Man' is a personal favorite). I'm excited to see what he does with Ant Man. From what I've heard, he'll be able to match that personality pretty well. :)

Bobby Newport's never had a real job... in his life.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I am encouraged that Marvel continues to pursue different genres for the films within the MCU. In addition to films I'd call "superhero movies" we've had a war movie, a spy thriller, a space opera, and now we're getting a heist movie. A great way to keep things from getting samey.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Catching up on holy shit like 900 posts...
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The tone of Avengers was more upbeat than that. Acknowledging the million folks who just died would've been a huge downer and completely inappropriate for a movie that was about the glorious fuckyeah of superheroes being totes rad. So instead of, "Well shit, we just lost a million people," it was "Booyah, we just saved 6.999 billion people!"

I listened to the commentary for Avengers a while back, and one bit I liked was at the end where even Whedon kind of panned how Stark blowing up the 'base' caused all the enemies to just fall over and die/deactivate, but that he didn't want to have the climax occur and then note that they spent like another 8 hours cleaning up all the stragglers. While realistic, it just didn't fit with what he wanted.

It had been something I'd noticed too, and really liked that he addressed it.

Also, I don't usually do those "What _______ are you!?" things, but I did the Iron Man one, and I got the Mark VII.

Recent life events made me think I was more likely to get the Mark IV ("It's seen a bit of mileage..."), but I'm okay with the shitkicking suit from the Avengers and the one that really continued to up the ante on suit-up sequences.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    riposte_18 wrote: »
    So, I just got done watching Captain America 2, and having watched GotG earlier, there's no more films before Avengers 2, so basically, we must have all the Phase 2 setup in place, via the movies and the chasers for Age of Ultron

So my theory for Avengers 2 is (spoilers for movies and chasers ... wait, do I need to do that anymore?)
    We know Hydra has Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (CA2 Chaser). We also know that Hydra has Loki's Staff (CA2 Chaser). And that Hydra has dabbled in supercomputers for maintaining a genius intellect (using disk tapes no less!). We know that Iron Man technically probably has bits of his tech strewn across the city, when he blew up all his suits

We know that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in Age of Ultron. Baron Strucker also made reference to an 'Age of Miracles', and he is cast as being in Age of Ultron too.

So my suggestion? Hydra is actually the behind the scenes bad guy for Avengers 2. They're working in some way with Ultron. This helps draw in the following Avengers
    - Captain America/Black Widow/Hawkeye - As former SHIELD Agents, they will naturally be working against Hydra
    - Thor - With Loki's Staff in the hands of Hydra, and Ultron in the source material being an AI who constantly upgrades himself, its logical that he might try and incorporate Asgard tech via Loki's Staff.
    - Iron Man - I suspect that Ultron will use Iron Man tech (where else would an advanced AI get advanced tech), either scavenging from his old tech, or trying to steal his newest shiny suit toy.
    - Hulk - Doesn't actually tie in nicely ... No real hints, but mostly because there's been no Hulk movie.

Essentially, with Strucker as the behind the scenes mastermind, Ultrons as the main bad guy and Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver as super powered henchmen, it maps with both what has been laid out in the earlier films, plus what we know of Avengers 2. It also posits why Ultron is a bad guy, as per Hydra's approach of 'Freedom through Control' maybe overlapping with Ultrons logic?

I don't have any idea how it will play out, but I like to think in Phase 1, you can clearly map the big bad in the Avengers, and the way all the heroes are brought together via the outcome of the earlier films in Phase 1. I like to think from the range of Phase 2 movies we have, we can piece together the setup and what draws our band of merry Avengers back together.

IM3 spoiler:
    Banner and Stark are friends so that ties in Hulk.

Given the poster for A2,
    Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver end up good guys, but I could see them starting on the wrong side. That or the Avengers free them from their prison.

Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So after watching CA2 again, I have a question:
    What are the limits on Heimdall's ability to see everything/one? Does he have to know who they are already?
    In other words, after a chat with Steve, could Thor go and ask Heimdall to find James Barnes, a human with a mechanical arm, then tell Steve where he is?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    What are the limits on Heimdall's ability to see everything/one? Does he have to know who they are already?
    In other words, after a chat with Steve, could Thor go and ask Heimdall to find James Barnes, a human with a mechanical arm, then tell Steve where he is?

Thor 2 spoiler
    That's a good question. In TDW Heimdall was shown to have that ability, the only reason why he lost sight of Jane was when she was abducted by the Aether.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Thor 2 spoiler
    That's a good question. In TDW Heimdall was shown to have that ability, the only reason why he lost sight of Jane was when she was abducted by the Aether.

The place she was when she got lost was clearly supposed to be "outside" the realms

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I would imagine that's one of those powers that works in a certain way, right up until it doesn't because movie.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I would imagine that's one of those powers that works in a certain way, right up until it doesn't because movie.

It's the perils of having a shared universe. :)

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I imagine that they can't just call Thor up and constantly bug him with questions for Heimdall because Heimdall has more important shit to do. Thor can can ask waste of time personal questions because he's royalty but everyone else? Nope. And even then, I bet Heimdall would tell him to pound sand if Thor kept nagging him.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

His limits are whatever they need to be to advance the story.
    Heimdall possesses extraordinarily acute superhuman senses, most notably his vision and hearing. His senses are said to be so acute that he could hear sap running through trees, and "the tiniest plant growing in the heart of the hidden hills",[38] and see and hear anything occurring in Asgard or on Earth. Heimdall can also "look across time, as well as space",[38] in one instance seeing the far-off approach of an invading party and correctly predicting that they were still a full two days away from Asgard; this ability to see what has yet to come is retained even after the establishment of the new Asgard on Earth.[volume & issue needed] Heimdall has been said to be capable of detecting the fluttering of a butterfly's wings "a thousand worlds away".[volume & issue needed] Heimdall is able to sense the life essences of Asgardian gods throughout the Nine Worlds of Asgard, and has the ability to focus on certain sensory information or block it out of his consciousness as he chooses, being so alert that he requires no sleep at all.[39] According to Ares in his War Plan for the Siege of Asgard, Heimdall can "see and hear as far as creation", even capable of seeing the Dark Avengers at Avengers Tower from Broxton.[40] Certain magical spells can block his sensory powers. Additionally, his powers of sight are limited if even one of his eyes cannot see; apparently his eyes are capable of sustaining physical injury and require a long time to naturally heal, if ever.[34] At least once, Heimdall has shown the ability to project an avatar (as an enlarged image of his face) to others from just outside Broxton to Manhattan, as he did with Thor, though he claims that he cannot maintain it for long, as his power has diminished with the fall of Asgard.[41]
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I imagine that they can't just call Thor up and constantly bug him with questions for Heimdall because Heimdall has more important shit to do. Thor can can ask waste of time personal questions because he's royalty but everyone else? Nope. And even then, I bet Heimdall would tell him to pound sand if Thor kept nagging him.

Speaking of, given how Thor 2 ended maybe we'll get a Young Gods movie at some point?

• Options
    What about Thor 2 would lead to the Young Gods?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    What about Thor 2 would lead to the Young Gods?

I was just skimming the Wiki page and it talked about Loki being in command ordering Heimdall to fight Thor, smash the rainbow bridge, and head to Earth to convert humans into the Young Gods.

I was combining a huge chunk of text into a small one in my head.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I just want a montage of some of the avengers going to Asgard and trying to abuse Heimdall's power.

"Hey Heimdall, can you tell us where Jimmy Hoffa was buried"
    "He wasn't"
    "Oookay.. thanks big guy"

"Hey Heimdall, can you tell us where the Hydra bases are?"
    "They are everywhere"
    "damn...thanks Heimdall"

"Hey Heimdall.."
    "The Red Skull is not on the planet, the Ten Rings are making something in the Caucasus Mountains, Blizzard is causing trouble in Canada, the Loc Ness monster isn't real, Bigfoot is, and Elvis is dead"
    "Okay.. Tha.."
    "He died on Xandar"
    "..anks?

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    "Hey Heimdall, whatcha watching!?"

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

"Being awesome."

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    So Heimdall, can watch anything in the 7? 9?...ish I don't remember, realms.

What does his porn folder look like?

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    DHS wrote: »

Heimdall doesn't need porn, he can watch it live anywhere at any time.

• Options

He's seen everything.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular

I don't want to get too crude about this but...

nine or whatever realms.

....that shit must get fucking cray. Just....

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options

He's seen everything.

hqdefault.jpg

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

"Midgard has an entertainment device called a 'Netflix'. I am watching all episodes of a saga they call 'Breaking Bad'. At once."

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

I am watching your mother, for her enormity risks collapsing the realms into black nothingness.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.