Options

[Board Games] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    @Sageinarage if you can try Trains: Rising Sun, go for it. It adds some cool randomized objectives to the map that can drag players into more interactions on the board.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Trains has definitely gone over well that last three or so times I've played it, and the point spreads have been really close. Definitely debating on using some gift cards to get Rising Sun for more.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I had the opposite experience with Trains. It was an interesting experience but it was so dry I have really no interest in playing it again.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    @Sageinarage if you can try Trains: Rising Sun, go for it. It adds some cool randomized objectives to the map that can drag players into more interactions on the board.

Yeah I'm sure, but I'm trying to not buy expansions for games until I feel I've at least experienced the breadth of the game - there's still cards I haven't even played with yet.
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    I had the opposite experience with Trains. It was an interesting experience but it was so dry I have really no interest in playing it again.

Yeah, Trains is definitely a game you play for the mechanic's sake, and not for the theme. The best thing that can be said about the theme is that it stays out of your way while playing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Woo! My buildings have shipped! Should be here Friday if UPS estimate is correct.
    Unless it didn't make tonight's shipment.

Edit: Upon further review it was printed late, so probably after UPS picked up the shipments for today. So probably will arrive Sat or Mon. Either way is fine and before our next game night.

Edit2: Upon further review, because I'm addicted to UPS tracking, it did ship out today and was picked up by UPS! So it should arrive Friday! Yay!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Yeah I'm sure, but I'm trying to not buy expansions for games until I feel I've at least experienced the breadth of the game - there's still cards I haven't even played with yet.

Well, technically Rising Sun can be played standalone. It also has really good two player boards.

Honestly, I'd recommend people pick up Rising Sun as their base game, and only grab the original if they want an expansion.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I kind of get a kick out of the theme of Trains but I think having lived in Japan and riding trains there for two years makes all the difference.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

Well, technically Rising Sun can be played standalone. It also has really good two player boards.

Honestly, I'd recommend people pick up Rising Sun as their base game, and only grab the original if they want an expansion.

shut up shut up shut uppppp

Actually, with both of them, did you combine them into one box? How would all those boards even fit in there? It seems like there's barely the room for 1 board in the trains box.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    After many games of the Steam/PC version of SENTINELS OF THE MULTIVERSE, it has come to my attention that Absolute Zero is really Absolute Worthless.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

The two player boards in RS are different than the promo ones they put up for P&P on the website, right? (Saitama and Texas.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    What with the holidays and 3 small children and such, not too much big stuff played recently, but here's a rundown of small stuff:

-- One Night Ultimate Werewolf: Mentioned a lot recently, won't belabor it, but it's really really good.
    -- Sushi Go: Drafting game similar to Fairy Tale, or more distantly to base 7 Wonders. Definitely filler. It's good, I guess, but my wife REALLY likes it. Easy to teach to new players.
    -- Pixel Tactics (3): Awesome light 2-player game! I'm way late on this bus, but this kind of tactical card play is right up my alley.
    -- Coup: One of my favorite thinky filler games. Fun all the way up to 6 players.
    -- Red7: Holy cow. Okay, if you haven't heard of this, it's a card game played with cards of different color ranging from 1-7. There's a "rule" in play that says how to win. You play cards face up in front of you. You can add a card to your tableau, but you can also play one of your cards to change that rule (i.e. all reds cards say "highest card wins", all violet cards say "most cards under 4"). You often NEED to change that rule, because you must be winning the game at the end of your turn or else you're eliminated. Rounds are quick, and in the "advanced" rules your winning cards are saved as points between rounds, and first to X points wins. This is "filler" I can get behind. Great game, dirt cheap. Designed by the same guy who made Innovation and Impulse.

I also got a bit of Descent played with family, but it didn't go well due to factors outside the scope of board game quality, such as one of the player was tired and also 9 years old. They still want to continue, though, so I am totally up for that. Just got the Splig lieutenant pack, which includes "threat" and a neat "plot" deck. Also bought Splendor as a late Christmas gift for a buddy, so I hope to play that one soon as well.

EDIT: Oh, I introduced Impulse to my gaming group. They were intrigued, but I've never shown this game to people and had them LOVE it immediately. Except me! But I'm a nut for that kind of thing.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

The two player boards in RS are different than the promo ones they put up for P&P on the website, right? (Saitama and Texas.)

They are different, yeah. Chiba and Kyushu. Though I believe Rising Sun actually comes with Route objective components for the promo maps, which is a nice touch.

shut up shut up shut uppppp

Actually, with both of them, did you combine them into one box? How would all those boards even fit in there? It seems like there's barely the room for 1 board in the trains box.

I haven't combined them yet, but Rising Sun is just one more board. On one side is a 2-4 player map, and on the other is two 2-player maps.

One of them has a cool mechanic where you can either play it normally, or you can start in one of 3 places at the bottom of the map, so it becomes more of a literal race across the board to the high point spots. Its a nice change up. And added with the new Routes, it is a really solid stand alone if you can get some use out of the 2-player maps.
    jergarmar wrote: »
    What with the holidays and 3 small children and such, not too much big stuff played recently, but here's a rundown of small stuff:

-- One Night Ultimate Werewolf: Mentioned a lot recently, won't belabor it, but it's really really good.
    -- Sushi Go: Drafting game similar to Fairy Tale, or more distantly to base 7 Wonders. Definitely filler. It's good, I guess, but my wife REALLY likes it. Easy to teach to new players.
    -- Pixel Tactics (3): Awesome light 2-player game! I'm way late on this bus, but this kind of tactical card play is right up my alley.
    -- Coup: One of my favorite thinky filler games. Fun all the way up to 6 players.
    -- Red7: Holy cow. Okay, if you haven't heard of this, it's a card game played with cards of different color ranging from 1-7. There's a "rule" in play that says how to win. You play cards face up in front of you. You can add a card to your tableau, but you can also play one of your cards to change that rule (i.e. all reds cards say "highest card wins", all violet cards say "most cards under 4"). You often NEED to change that rule, because you must be winning the game at the end of your turn or else you're eliminated. Rounds are quick, and in the "advanced" rules your winning cards are saved as points between rounds, and first to X points wins. This is "filler" I can get behind. Great game, dirt cheap. Designed by the same guy who made Innovation and Impulse.

Splendor is really good! Its simple and quick, but a real nice puzzle. The only player interaction is snagging something before someone else can get it, but there is a certain thrill to cornering the market on a particular stone and locking nearly everyone else out of it. For a game with almost zero actual theme, it sure manages to feel thematic sometimes.

Also, I guess I need to just make a PnP copy of One Night Ultimate Werewolf until I can actually find a copy to purchase. And You may have just sold me on Red7 as well!

• Options
    I think there is an expansion coming out for ONUW coming out in February/March called Daybreak. It's an expansion/standalone.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    I think there is an expansion coming out for ONUW coming out in February/March called Daybreak. It's an expansion/standalone.

Oh, I played Daybreak at BGG Con. It's CRAZY but really fun. Personally, I wouldn't play with those roles alone, even though technically it's a stand-alone game. Judicially add in roles to the base set.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I would like to give a shoutout to Arcane Wonders' customer service. I had a board in my copy of Sheriff of Nottingham that was cut twice, and had some pretty ugly half-cut marks on all the tokens. So I contacted Arcane Wonders yesterday, and 2 hours later I got a shipping notice for a new board even though I live in Denmark. I had imagined I would have to wait at least a few days for a reply, but 2 hours is pretty amazing.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    That's good customer service!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Woo! My buildings have shipped! Should be here Friday if UPS estimate is correct.

Edit: Upon further review it was printed late, so probably after UPS picked up the shipments for today. So probably will arrive Sat or Mon. Either way is fine and before our next game night.

Edit2: Upon further review, because I'm addicted to UPS tracking, it did ship out today and was picked up by UPS! So it should arrive Friday! Yay!

Mine hasn't even been picked up yet.

And my Cthulhu Wars has't shipped yet.

Or my Dungeon Keeper Anniversary Edition.

I swear I'm on a KS Shipper Blacklist, all my stuff ships dead freaking last.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

I played Daybreak the other day, so it must be out somewhere?

Anyway, I played 3 more games of drafted Marvel Dice Masters. Still just using the two cores from AvX and Uncanny X-Men. Still great, I am a horrible zerging bastard with Quicksilver, Shadowcat and other 'Bolt' heroes. Meanwhile my opponent was doing well with Captain America leading a bunch of cowardly turtling blockers.

I also played a game of Rune Age, the Quest for Power scenario from the expansion. I thought I was going to walk it, but we were playing 2p, and my friend clawed back point after point until the whole game came down to one roll of the attrition die against a neutral enemy whose death would have taken me with it. That has to be the most under-rated game I know.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Bezier Games has it listed for February release. There may be some Kickstarter editions floating around out there.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    One of the options in the ONOW Daybreak kickstarter was to chip in 5 extra bucks to get it shipped to you in November rather than February.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I assume there are plans to reprint ONUW at some point, right?

Because I keep hearing about this game, but it's not available anywhere. Ever.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Yes. Bezier Games says they are doing another printing this month.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    I just bought myself a copy from a store here in Sweden. Sounds like a fun game.

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    Completed my second insert last night. Everything worked a lot better this go around. Cleaner cuts, better angles, better design.
    DYjzBB6.jpg

pLZVdSR.jpg

I just ordered a ridiculous pack of 10 foamboard sheets on Amazon because I think I'm going to do this for another 12 games. Still working my way up to enough skill to try my hand at Caverna since that game was really the catalyst for doing any of this. I'm very excited to not deal with plastic baggies anymore.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Mine hasn't even been picked up yet.

And my Cthulhu Wars has't shipped yet.

Or my Dungeon Keeper Anniversary Edition.

I swear I'm on a KS Shipper Blacklist, all my stuff ships dead freaking last.

:(
    Dark White wrote: »
    Completed my second insert last night. Everything worked a lot better this go around. Cleaner cuts, better angles, better design.
    DYjzBB6.jpg

pLZVdSR.jpg

I just ordered a ridiculous pack of 10 foamboard sheets on Amazon because I think I'm going to do this for another 12 games. Still working my way up to enough skill to try my hand at Caverna since that game was really the catalyst for doing any of this. I'm very excited to not deal with plastic baggies anymore.

Those look fantastic! I think I might need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby on Saturday and try my hand at this.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Tried the Mascarade expansion last night. It adds a bunch of roles that accelerate rounds and some nice manipulative stuff, letting you customize the game to be about manipulation or swapping to varying degrees.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    DYjzBB6.jpg

pLZVdSR.jpg

Which pack/brand did you grab off Amazon? I've been thinking about getting into foamcore inserts but I've been a little intimidated. I have a little extra amazon money lying around though so it might be as good a time as any to do it. It would definitely be easier/more convenient for some games.

• Options
    I bought the Black Elmer's 20x30, 3/16" Foamboards in a 10 pack. I can't speak to any other brands, but the Elmer's gives me exactly what I was looking for.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I bought the Black Elmer's 20x30, 3/16" Foamboards in a 10 pack. I can't speak to any other brands, but the Elmer's gives me exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a tutorial online that you'd recommend? ...is there a tutorial online you've made? :biggrin:

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    @Dark White

Those look great and inspiring, you should do a video of some of the things you've learned and post it. ;)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    If you google: 'Foam Core Esoteric Order of Gamers' you'll find the three videos I learned from. It's pretty much all you need to know/do unless you want to get fancy with curved cuts or angular walls.

• Options
    If you google: 'Foam Core Esoteric Order of Gamers' you'll find the three videos I learned from. It's pretty much all you need to know/do unless you want to get fancy with curved cuts or angular walls.

I was watching them this morning, and it looks simple enough. Want to try my hand at some custom inserts for Fief, X-Wing (I currently have a loose X-Wing rolling around in my box! Ahhh! Also an E-wing but those seem more sturdy), and Doomtown (that insert is a joke). I'm sure there are many other games I could do, but those are the three I'm thinking of starting with.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

I was watching them this morning, and it looks simple enough. Want to try my hand at some custom inserts for Fief, X-Wing (I currently have a loose X-Wing rolling around in my box! Ahhh! Also an E-wing but those seem more sturdy), and Doomtown (that insert is a joke). I'm sure there are many other games I could do, but those are the three I'm thinking of starting with.

I feel like Suburbia and Castles of Mad King Ludwig are DYING for foamcore inserts. Probably Keyflower too.

• Options
    Suburbia was the first one I did, I posted it a few pages back. It was super simple, turned out to be a pretty good initiation project.

• Options
    Hmm, Imperial Settlers could really use a foamcore insert. This is pretty tempting.

Steam
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    New Sentinels of the Multiverse expansion was announced: Villains of the Multiverse. Good news: There will be 10 villains in it? Wait a minute... that's divisible by 5... which leads to the Bad News: It's Vengeance format (you fight multiple villains at the same time). Pre-orders start next week on Monday.

God dammit. I'm not a fan of Vengeance format. Most games with only one villain take less than an hour to complete (with a few exceptions), but Vengeance pretty much adds 10 minutes to the game per extra villain. :( Ah well. I still haven't broken out Wrath of the Cosmos yet. I will also need a bigger box.

There are a couple of Sentinels Tactics expansions coming out, but I'm not sure I'm going to go for them at launch. Maybe eventually, when we are playing the Tactics game again at a later date.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Whereas I really enjoy the Vengeance format and welcome additional permutations of that. It's certainly not something I want to do all the time, but I prefer it to, say, The Ennead.

• Options
    Hey @Zombie Hero I've been taking a pretty hard look at Imperial Settlers. How is it?

• Options
    Hey @Zombie Hero I've been taking a pretty hard look at Imperial Settlers. How is it?

It is good. I don't know how much of a look you have given it, so forgive me if there is a lot of stuff you already know in this paragraph. It's a card game, where each player can draw from two decks: a deck unique to their empire, and a common deck. Each deck is made up entirely of buildings. You can use common deck cards either by building them, which may give actions, production, or passive bonuses (features), or by razing them, which costs you the card but you do get the resources indicated on the card. Unique decks you can either build, or use food to make a 'deal' with it, which means you produce whatever good is indicated immediately and at each production phase. What this sets up is that each card can be used in two ways. You have to weigh the advantage of building each card as a building or as a resource generator.

The successful turns involve chaining a lot of actions together with production, razing, etc. You could exchange two workers for food, then use that food to make a deal that immediately gives you a stone, use that stone and a wood that you may have started with to build a common building that produces more resources .....). Since you cannot keep most resources at the end of each turn you also have to worry a bit about resource waste as well.

Unique buildings tend to cost a pre built building to make. So you have to build a common building, and then spend it in the cost to make your Egyptian\Japanese\Barbarian\Roman building. You have to balance card draw, and production, and then actually how to build your empire to actually generate victory points.

It's nice that there is a lot to think about in each game, which is awesome but it can be a drawback if you have a lot of heavy thinkers in your group. Since the factions are asymmetrical, they may feel a little unbalanced (barbarians are easier to play than Japanese, for instance). You can attack other people's buildings, but only their common ones, so people may get frustrated that they can't deal with a faction building that is being a nuisance. I haven't played it enough to figure out how much legs it has long term.

So far I enjoy it a great deal, but I've only played it like 3 times (and also 6-7 solitary games), so I don't know how strong of a recommendation I can give.

Steam
  • Options
    Friend of mine decided that since I get a wide variety of games he would be the guy to get munchkin. He told me he ordered some stuff. I just got this picture.
    URhvgBR.jpg

Wow.

4dm3dwuxq302.png