Options

[Board Games] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Friend of mine decided that since I get a wide variety of games he would be the guy to get munchkin. He told me he ordered some stuff. I just got this picture.

Wow.

That is too much Munchkin for one lifetime.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Is Munchkin Pathfinder considered a Munchkin-themed Pathfinder game? Or a Pathfinder-themed Munchkin game?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Is Munchkin Pathfinder considered a Munchkin-themed Pathfinder game? Or a Pathfinder-themed Munchkin game?
    It's Munchkin with an Alchemist and Witch class. So just another Munchkin game. Yeah.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Friend of mine decided that since I get a wide variety of games he would be the guy to get munchkin. He told me he ordered some stuff. I just got this picture.

Wow.

That is too much Munchkin for one lifetime.

You could say that for any one of those boxes by itself.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    So, got Pandemic for Christmas, and I've played 5 games now (all 2 player). The first we had a runaway victory due to getting several rules wrong (not placing cubes for cured diseases, and not realising we needed to be at a research station to cure). The rest however I'm 99% certain we played correctly, but the fact we've won every time has me concerned I'm missing something. It's a whole load of fun though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    xiears wrote: »
    So, got Pandemic for Christmas, and I've played 5 games now (all 2 player). The first we had a runaway victory due to getting several rules wrong (not placing cubes for cured diseases, and not realising we needed to be at a research station to cure). The rest however I'm 99% certain we played correctly, but the fact we've won every time has me concerned I'm missing something. It's a whole load of fun though

A common mistake is around the trading of cards, could check that rule.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    How many epidemics are you shuffling into the deck? 2-player Pandemic tends to be a bit easier than playing with more players, so I wouldn't be that surprised if you're consistently winning with 4 (or maybe even 5) epidemics in the deck.

Also remember that the player deck is a timer on the game : you don't reshuffle the discard pile if you run out of cards, you just lose.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    mr_mich wrote: »
    It's Munchkin with an Alchemist and Witch class. So just another Munchkin game. Yeah.

Bummer. The thing my friends liked about Munchkin was the theme (but hated the game). They seem to enjoy the idea of Pathfinder:RotR but dislike how serious the theme is. A goofy, cute LCG could basically destroy our lives.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a more mass-market/lighter-themed one yet.

I would kill a man for a Magi-Nation LCG reboot, but that'll probably never happen.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    hey wow a Magi-Nation player :)

the guy who owns the FLGS I go to was the lead designer of that

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Core 4 lyfe, 'yo.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Wow, Magi-Nation. Haven't seen that in a good 12 years or so. Bought into it a little bit when it was out with a couple other guys from my local shop at the time. It was fun at the time.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    New Sentinels of the Multiverse expansion was announced: Villains of the Multiverse. Good news: There will be 10 villains in it? Wait a minute... that's divisible by 5... which leads to the Bad News: It's Vengeance format (you fight multiple villains at the same time). Pre-orders start next week on Monday.

God dammit. I'm not a fan of Vengeance format. Most games with only one villain take less than an hour to complete (with a few exceptions), but Vengeance pretty much adds 10 minutes to the game per extra villain. :( Ah well. I still haven't broken out Wrath of the Cosmos yet. I will also need a bigger box.

Wrath's not bad, but the preorders came with a copy of Guise, who is the best hero of all time.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Played some 2-player Marvel Legendary at a friend's house tonight. It was supposed to be more people, but various things interfered with them attending.

I have to say, with an expansion or two my impression of the game has become much more positive. More heroes and villains makes for more combinations and replayability and with the expansion heroes actually having different art on their different abilities it made telling them apart at a glance much easier.

• Options
    Speaking of Pandemic, I got Pandemic: The Cure for Christmas and it's really, really fun to play solo. I like it more than I liked regular Pandemic (which I math traded a while ago). It's much faster to set up, and faster to play overall. I enjoy also that you always feel like you have a chance. The mechanic where epidemics put the cards back on top is a great one, but it also leads to scenarios where you're like "Well we're absolutely dead next turn since Tokyo is definitely coming up and we have no way to prevent it from outbreaking." You can always hope for good rolls.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Played some 2-player Marvel Legendary at a friend's house tonight. It was supposed to be more people, but various things interfered with them attending.

I have to say, with an expansion or two my impression of the game has become much more positive. More heroes and villains makes for more combinations and replayability and with the expansion heroes actually having different art on their different abilities it made telling them apart at a glance much easier.

Yeah, reputedly it gets much better with just Dark City. The Alien set is also really well done, if a different animal.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I definitely want to check out the Alien set now, since I'm such a huge Alien fan. Someone who frequents my LGS has a copy so I'll see if I can play it with him and some others before actually buying a copy myself.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I definitely want to check out the Alien set now, since I'm such a huge Alien fan. Someone who frequents my LGS has a copy so I'll see if I can play it with him and some others before actually buying a copy myself.

It's one of the better hard co-op games I've played. I'm not super-impressed by the card interactions and design, but there are a few really fun ones (the shock prod on one of the Alien guys comes to mind) available.

Been wanting to try the facehuggers-turn-you-hostile variant but haven't had the chance.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Just ordered Legendary Encounters today, friend picking it up as well as Stone Age on our order.

I've got Roll for the Galaxy and Eldritch Horror en route. :D

Looking forward to some Alien action.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on issues with a seven man game of base bsg.

Plan is to have three cylons and not use boomer/baltar as required to avoid a loyalty card shortage

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Any thoughts on issues with a seven man game of base bsg.

Plan is to have three cylons and not use boomer/baltar as required to avoid a loyalty card shortage

Issue is that it will take 3 years to play.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Pandemic: The Cure for Christmas
    This is a fantastic title for an expansion. I can't figure out what the theme or mechanics would be, but I want to play it.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Just for reference for other people interested.

Yesterday I placed an order for a copy of Dead of Winter from the Plaidhat official website. I'd been doing some research and it seems like they may have gotten a large shipment in recently cause some people were saying they got theres in a few days around X-mas. other research suggested another shipment was coming out in January, so I'll post when i get it as a reference.

Good news for Dead of Winter fans. I ordered on 01/07/15, and I got an email today from the post office saying Someone named Colby Dauch has sent me a package. Confused i googled the name and got a lot of links to the plaidhat site, so I presume my copy of Dead of Winter is in the mail. Wasnt a bad wait at all, so they must have gotten the big shipment in.

Should be getting it next week or so.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    Pandemic: The Cure for Christmas
    This is a fantastic title for an expansion. I can't figure out what the theme or mechanics would be, but I want to play it.

Clearly you play as the Grinch trying to remove Christmas from the world. Christmas trees, mall santas, presents, and carolers spread across the globe and you try to increase humbug.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Disease that makes Gingerbread and Mistletoe and pine trees poisonous?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I'm glad the article gives a shout out to Gnome Games. It's a very well run FLGS that tries hard to better the entire community: they run free "family game nights" at a number of local elementary schools, they sponsor summer reading programs for kids, etc. Truly a class act.

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Draeven wrote: »
    "The rules of the game can be complex..."
    <snort>

That is funny because I find American football way more complex than most boardgames :P

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    <snort>

That is funny because I find American football way more complex than most boardgames :P

PLAYER ONE: "Alright so, basically each turn, the current player tries to bring the ball token all the way to the other side of the field. Obviously that means you want to start as far from your side as possible, and the opposing player has to stop the current player from doing so.

Uh, alright, let's see. According to the rules, the first player takes up to, uh, four turns before the next player gets a chance to move. Okay... that seems kind of overpowered. Also, if a player successfully gains more than 10% of the ground to the goal, that extra turn count gets reset, so I guess they get four more?"

PLAYER TWO: "Wait, ten percent of the current space to the goal? Does a player get more turns the closer they are to the goal?"

PLAYER ONE: "Let me check the FAQ... no, it's always 10% of the total. Also, the 10% starts from wherever the ball starts, not from one of the clearly delineated 10-yard markers on the field."

PLAYER TWO: "Why are the linemen so far ahead of the ball?"

PLAYER ONE: "No, uh, well let's see... No okay, so the ball actually starts up there where the line is, then you throw it backward to the quarterback."

PLAYER TWO: "I am not sure why I'd do that instead of having the quarterback closer to the line, but whatever. So what do I do on my turn?"

PLAYER ONE: "Well, it looks like you either give it to a player to run, or you throw the ball."

PLAYER TWO: "How do I throw it? Looks like I can gain way more ground that way."

PLAYER ONE: "Okay there are a lot of rules about throwing the ball here... Let's see, the quarterback can throw the ball forward any distance according to his throwing, but only up until a certain distance. Then he can't throw it forward any longer. Also, you're allowed to throw the ball backwards at any time, but not just the quarterback, any player can do that.

If the ball hits the ground, the play ends- oh no, wait, that's not right. If you throw the ball forward and nobody catches it, everything stops. If a friendly receiver catches it, they can continue to run forward even though it was a throwing play. If a hostile receiver catches it, you lose all of the rest of your turns and the opponent starts a running play immediately. If the ball hits the ground when someone sort of catches it, or catches it but drops it, then the play continues based on the pawn that picks it up.

Also, I think this is important to kind of a more short term tactical thing? But if the ball hits the ground the turn track stops moving forward, but only if the ball hits the ground during a forward throw that nobody catches, otherwise-"

PLAYER TWO: "Forget it, let's just play a game of Twilight Imperium. This shit is ridiculous."

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Man you didn't even get into the weird rules. Like nobody on the offense can be in front of the ball, except the center can touch it and kinda be over it but really they should be behind it. And the offense has to have an unbroken line of people at the edge of the ball - if one player is a step backwards, none of the other players edgeward can be in line with the ball. And you can grab your opponent to tackle them, except their helmet which is off limits, but you can't grab opponents if they don't have the ball, unless you're on offense, in which case you're not supposed to grab them but you can push them and get in their way but you can't do that from behind. Oh, and you're not suppose to do any of that to the kicker. And don't be too rough.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Also all the vagaries of pass interference, whether or not a player is down, whether or not a ball is still live, etc.

Feetball is nuts.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    To be fair, the NFL rulebook is some 70,000 words which makes it something like 20 times longer than Twilight Imperium.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Looks like XCOM is set to Now Shipping, with a set release of 1/28. Hopefully the Machi Koro expansion will have reached CSI by then so it won't hold up my order.

The app looks really nice, and running through it makes me really excited to play it. Seeing that it doesn't just shuffle up player turns, but individual player phases is pretty cool, as it'll keep everyone focused, and keep everything interesting.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    <snort>

PLAYER ONE: "Alright so, basically each turn, the current player tries to bring the ball token all the way to the other side of the field. Obviously that means you want to start as far from your side as possible, and the opposing player has to stop the current player from doing so.

Uh, alright, let's see. According to the rules, the first player takes up to, uh, four turns before the next player gets a chance to move. Okay... that seems kind of overpowered. Also, if a player successfully gains more than 10% of the ground to the goal, that extra turn count gets reset, so I guess they get four more?"

PLAYER TWO: "Wait, ten percent of the current space to the goal? Does a player get more turns the closer they are to the goal?"

PLAYER ONE: "Let me check the FAQ... no, it's always 10% of the total. Also, the 10% starts from wherever the ball starts, not from one of the clearly delineated 10-yard markers on the field."

PLAYER ONE: "No, uh, well let's see... No okay, so the ball actually starts up there where the line is, then you throw it backward to the quarterback."

PLAYER TWO: "I am not sure why I'd do that instead of having the quarterback closer to the line, but whatever. So what do I do on my turn?"

PLAYER ONE: "Well, it looks like you either give it to a player to run, or you throw the ball."

PLAYER TWO: "How do I throw it? Looks like I can gain way more ground that way."

PLAYER ONE: "Okay there are a lot of rules about throwing the ball here... Let's see, the quarterback can throw the ball forward any distance according to his throwing, but only up until a certain distance. Then he can't throw it forward any longer. Also, you're allowed to throw the ball backwards at any time, but not just the quarterback, any player can do that.

If the ball hits the ground, the play ends- oh no, wait, that's not right. If you throw the ball forward and nobody catches it, everything stops. If a friendly receiver catches it, they can continue to run forward even though it was a throwing play. If a hostile receiver catches it, you lose all of the rest of your turns and the opponent starts a running play immediately. If the ball hits the ground when someone sort of catches it, or catches it but drops it, then the play continues based on the pawn that picks it up.

Also, I think this is important to kind of a more short term tactical thing? But if the ball hits the ground the turn track stops moving forward, but only if the ball hits the ground during a forward throw that nobody catches, otherwise-"

PLAYER TWO: "Forget it, let's just play a game of Twilight Imperium. This shit is ridiculous."

I would love a FAQ for football.

Q: What if it is unclear whether or not a team achieved the required 10% ground for a reset of turns?
    A: Take a picture of the game state and mail it to New York, a team of qualified assessors will determine whether the ball position qualifies for a reset of turns.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dark White wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    <snort>

I would love a FAQ for football.

Q: What if it is unclear whether or not a team achieved the required 10% ground for a reset of turns?
    A: Take a picture of the game state and mail it to New York, a team of qualified assessors will determine whether the ball position qualifies for a reset of turns.
    Or they have a miniature chain gang that you can use for just that purpose. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    After many games of the Steam/PC version of SENTINELS OF THE MULTIVERSE, it has come to my attention that Absolute Zero is really Absolute Worthless.

I've only played like three games of Sentinels, so obviously I am super ill-equipped to judge, but in our first game, my friend made tremendous use of Absolute Zero. Admittedly, he needed a certain combo of cards to be out before he could be a powerhouse, but once that was set up he was one of our main damage-dealers.

To me, Absolute Zero seems good-but-brittle. That is, with some work and setup you can get very good results out of him, but the combo can crumble if some of the pieces get removed. So, a bit of a high-risk, high-reward setup.

(But, again, this is based on three games total, only of them with Absolute Zero in the mix.)

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know a game with a similar basic gameplay mechanic to Kingsburg but with different building mechanics or something like that? I love Kingsburg -- everything except for prioritizing which buildings to go for is super simple and I think it'd be a great game to help me expand my current groups interest in board games that aren't Arkham Horror but I think that a lot of the building trees are just traps which sucks for new people until they get a few games under their belt. The way the main roll dice and spend them in different ways to get material is super fun IMO, and I like the monster invasion mechanic.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Also, I got my copy of Bullfrogs yesterday. Did my best imitation of a lonely-oh-so-lonely, teenage-comedy-style nerd and played the solitaire version of the game. Had a pretty good time with it, probably will try it two-player with my wife this weekend.

Let's be real, though: I now have a bunch of frog-shaped meeple, and that's already worth it.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Alien Frontiers is similiar to Kingsburg in a few ways. It's worker placement but uses dice. Unlike Kingsburg, it's more interested in the dice faces rather their totals. For example, to get a another dice for your pool you need to roll doubles, so either two 2's, two 3's, et. al. And pretty much any power you pickup along the way will be useful for the whole game.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //