As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Burton's Batman killed some dudes.

That was in one-on-one fights though.

He set a clown on fire with the Batmobile's afterburner, didn't he?
    I like the design, but I'd have expected the guns to be a little less prominent. Maybe they pack away?

It seems pretty similar to the design in Arkham Knight. Were they sharing notes, or is this just coincidence?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah his vehicles often have weapons on them for distraction and crowd control.

We saw this in The Dark Knight as well with it's "intimidate mode".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think that actually is a pretty great look for the batmobile. I wish the turret was retractable or something, but it's a nice mix between Burton's and Nolan's vehicles.

Confirmation that this is a shared universe with the Burton/Schumacher batman I should think.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    FoolOnTheHillFoolOnTheHill PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    It looks potentially promising with the deciding factor being how Batman actually USES it. That said, I think the design of the Batmobile should be one of the least worrisome parts of BvS, given how MoS was.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If the machine gun shoots rubber bullets, I'm fine with that. And since this movie does some serious Dark Knight Returns worshiping, that may be likely.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    Its a great looking car, very safe though, its basically just a mix of every screen batmobile+ the video game ones.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That machine gun ain't gonna retract without some pretty egregious ignoring of physical realities.

That's cool, though.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    That machine gun ain't gonna retract without some pretty egregious ignoring of physical realities.

Clearly it's his hood ornament.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    ElJeffe wrote: »

That's cool, though.

it looks like maybe it rotates under the front of the hood or something.

there's a lot of what look like open flanges and mechanisms etc

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    I wonder, is Kryptonite going to make an appearance in this movie?

Did Kryptonite not exist in TDK:Returns that Bruce had to figure it out and make his own? Or did he makes his own with the specific reason of disabling supes enough that he could win a fist fight?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Iirc, he didn't even use kryptonite. Superman had recently been weakened by a nuke and Batman just beat him up via power armor that was hooked into the cities electrical grid.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Green Arrow shot Superman with a Kryptonite arrow in TDKR.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Yeah, but it wasn't synthesized or anything. I think Bruce just had it lying around from the good old days.

• Options
    Yeah, but it wasn't synthesized or anything. I think Bruce just had it lying around from the good old days.
    It wasn't easy to make, Clark. It took years and cost a fortune. Luckily, I had both.

Did this line just exist in the movie? He's implying he had to make it. He goes on to say that if he used a different method for creating it, he could permanently remove his powers. That man beat the god.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQYmDcNCGKs

It wasn't a kryptonite arrow, it was some form of aerosolized kryptonite serum, delivered via arrow (he actually catches the arrow, it explodes in his face). And then Bruce goes on to say that he could have upped the dose and killed him if he really wanted to.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    If it took years to develop that Kryptonite then when did Bruce do it? He had just recently returned to being Batman. Did he think that he was going to fight Superman when he was retired?

Also, Bruce is such a dick. Sure Superman was a government tool but he did just save the world from a nuclear war.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I assume Bruce spent part of his "retirement" preparing for the handful of events it would take to get him back in the costume, and number one on that list would be "Superman goes rogue."

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    If it took years to develop that Kryptonite then when did Bruce do it? He had just recently returned to being Batman. Did he think that he was going to fight Superman when he was retired?

Also, Bruce is such a dick. Sure Superman was a government tool but he did just save the world from a nuclear war.

They were both dicks.

Superman was basically acting like a glorified cop.

Batman was being a vigilante. Nothing Batman did required Superman to "put him down" like Reagan wanted to do, though. So, he was less of a dick, he was just defending himself from an assault.

He developed the Kryptonite because batman always has a plan. And like Astaereth said, that was probably in case Superman went rogue. Him saving the world from nuclear war was mostly his own doing, escalation of power and all that. Bruce has always taken the stance that they shouldn't really involve themselves in the matters of state or diplomacy, only saving lives and stopping crime.

He calls Superman a fool for even letting them get to the point where they thought nuclear weapons was the answer to defeating Superman and the USA.

bowen on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The Dark Knight Returns is so fucking stupid.

I hate everything about it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The Dark Knight Returns is so fucking stupid.

I hate everything about it.

LET ME ABSORB SOLAR ENERGY BY MAKING THESE PLANTS DIE

I AM SUPERMAN

• Options
    The lack of narration in the movie makes that work a lot better. A person with a semi understanding of how nuclear weapons work would assume Superman is causing blight because he's pretty much a walking nuclear fallout zone.

The comic make no sense whatsoever.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

They were both dicks.

Batman was being a vigilante. Nothing Batman did required Superman to "put him down" like Reagan wanted to do, though. So, he was less of a dick, he was just defending himself from an assault.

He developed the Kryptonite because batman always has a plan. And like Astaereth said, that was probably in case Superman went rogue. Him saving the world from nuclear war was mostly his own doing, escalation of power and all that. Bruce has always taken the stance that they shouldn't really involve themselves in the matters of state or diplomacy, only saving lives and stopping crime.

He calls Superman a fool for even letting them get to the point where they thought nuclear weapons was the answer to defeating Superman and the USA.

Batman returning did cause the Joker to come back and kill a bunch of people.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I assume Bruce spent part of his "retirement" preparing for the handful of events it would take to get him back in the costume, and number one on that list would be "Superman goes rogue."

Wasn't superman becoming a tool of the givernment what out Bruce into retirement in the first place.

I imagine him taking Ollie's arm alone would be enough justification to start making that thing.

• Options

They were both dicks.

Joker is responsible for his own actions, but he did put an end to that threat as well, eh?

• Options

They were both dicks.

Joker is responsible for his own actions, but he did put an end to that threat as well, eh?

I don't think someone who is as insane as the Joker can really be responsible for their own actions.

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Dark Knight Returns was a lot better when I was 18 and neither knew who Frank Miller was nor how seriously he took himself and his work.

• Options
    The Dark Knight Returns is pretty significant since it's the thing that was largely responsible for Batman getting grittier in the late 80s and 90s. After years of Batman being more or less a normal superhero, the tone was a revelation.

Much of the actual plot and content of The Dark Knight Returns is self-serious, ham-handed and silly, though.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I wonder if people taking TDKR seriously was what made Frank Miller go crazy. There is so much satire in TDKR and the story can be taken as a commentary against all the grim-dark and "badass" heroes/anti-heroes. He makes fun of Reagan, a teenage girl saves Bruce from himself, and the whole thing ends with Bruce operating in the shadows but casting aside the dark persona of Batman and having learned to live again.

It's like Miller was trying to say that the dark, gritty, badass Batman is pointless and counterproductive but then people took it all seriously and began to revere the grimdark Batman. So Miller just threw up his hands and decided to go with the flow and give people what they want.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    I wonder if people taking TDKR seriously was what made Frank Miller go crazy. There is so much satire in TDKR and the story can be taken as a commentary against all the grim-dark and "badass" heroes/anti-heroes. He makes fun of Reagan, a teenage girl saves Bruce from himself, and the whole thing ends with Bruce operating in the shadows but casting aside the dark persona of Batman and having learned to live again.

It's like Miller was trying to say that the dark, gritty, badass Batman is pointless and counterproductive but then people took it all seriously and began to revere the grimdark Batman. So Miller just threw up his hands and decided to go with the flow and give people what they want.

I'd buy that if The Dark Knight Strikes Again wasn't so batshit insane.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Can i just say , that "The Dark Knight Returns" Animated Movie was Magnificent!? Peter Weller as Frank Miller batman was awesome

• Options
    I would have loved to see Conroy do that movie.

My only problem with Peter Weller is it sounds like he has no emotion or range. It's like he's a robot.
    lol irony

• Options
    I would have loved to see Conroy do that movie.

My only problem with Peter Weller is it sounds like he has no emotion or range. It's like he's a robot.
    lol irony

Which makes him perfectly cast for that piece of artistic integrity.

I really dislike that book to an unreasonable degree.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

Let's be clear.

Burton's Batman killed a huge amount of dudes.

• Options
    Best Batman.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular

Let's be clear.

Burton's Batman killed a huge amount of dudes.

That really bothered me when I saw the movie as a kid, the one thing I knew about Batman was that he didn't kill and I didn't like that in that movie he did.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It still bothers me, honestly. Not that it offends my delicate sensibilities or anything, but stuff like Batman driving into a building filled with thugs, dropping a huge incendiary bomb, and then just peeling out of there, leaving everyone to die as the entire place explodes really doesn't work for me, nor does Batman strafing the Joker with missiles and machine gun fire while he's literally surrounded by civilians.

Honestly, Batman is the worst part of most of the Batman movies I've seen, which sucks because I really like the character in the (regrettably few) comics that I have read.

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    It still bothers me, honestly. Not that it offends my delicate sensibilities or anything, but stuff like Batman driving into a building filled with thugs, dropping a huge incendiary bomb, and then just peeling out of there, leaving everyone to die as the entire place explodes really doesn't work for me, nor does Batman strafing the Joker with missiles and machine gun fire while he's literally surrounded by civilians.

That whole sequence is kind of painful to look back on: The Joker stands absolutely still, the batplane is on a direct approach, and nothing touches him.
    Meanwhile the Joker takes the plane out with a single shot from a comically sized revolver.

• Options
    That's because those movies are bad.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Honestly I liked the first couple of batman movies more then the dark knight trilogy; sure they were campy and silly, but at least I didn't feel like the film maker was trying to make citizen kane with a guy who dresses up like a bat.

• Options
    There's nothing wrong with trying to make Citizen Kane with a guy who dresses as a bat.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.