As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Seth Rogan to play Luthor's wacky henchman CONFIRMED

then who is James Franco playing?

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Seth Rogan to play Luthor's wacky henchman CONFIRMED

But Superman cannot fight him because he's protected by a haze from his Kryptonic smoking habit.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Well, Rogen is working on the adaptation of Preacher for TV, and that comic is from a Vertigo imprint owned by DC. So, presumably, he does have some contact with the folks at WB and DC. However, Preacher is not part of DC's superhero properties, so any policy that applies to those movies probably wouldn't apply to it. It's also being adapted for TV, and Arrow and The Flash have clearly shown that a different policy is in place for TV adaptations of DC properties.

So Rogen might be making assumptions based on his experiences, without really knowing if the people he's working for have much say in how the DC superhero movies are carried out.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Remember too that DC compartmentalizes all of their divisions: TV, Movies, Comics are all not only separate, but almost competitive and antagonistic with each other.

Basically how the TV division runs has no bearing or even info on how movies are run. DC is weird.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Remember too that DC compartmentalizes all of their divisions: TV, Movies, Comics are all not only separate, but almost competitive and antagonistic with each other.

Basically how the TV division runs has no bearing or even info on how movies are run. DC is weird.

And it may be Rogen doesn't fully understand that, and thinks that because he's working on a DC project the policies he has to deal with are the same ones which apply to the movies.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I don't think TV is antagonistic towards animation. In fact, I think the TV people really like the animation people. Comics people suck though.

Also, the comics people are becoming more influential. Geoff Johns is pretty involved in the straight to DVD movies, he was also a producer on the Green Lantern movie.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

And it may be Rogen doesn't fully understand that, and thinks that because he's working on a DC project the policies he has to deal with are the same ones which apply to the movies.

He is a producer on a DC project though, I'm more inclined to believe his insider speculation than I can some writers unconfirmed rumour. Or that he's just too dense to know that TV =/= movies.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Crossposting...

So Scott Mcnairy role may have been revealed...and wow.
    "Scoot is playing Jimmy Olsen, but with a bit of a twist. Jimmy was injured during the battle of Zod vs Superman. His legs where pinned under falling building rubble and that caused him to lose the legs. He now walks with the use of two prosthetic legs." The source goes on to add "He doesn't blame Superman for it [his loss of legs]. He feels grateful that Superman saved the world."
    http://www.thedevilseyes.com/2014/08/exclusive-scoot-mcnairys-role-revealed.html#.U_7xuCV19UN.twitter

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Crossposting...

"Scoot is playing Jimmy Olsen, but with a bit of a twist. Jimmy was injured during the battle of Zod vs Superman. His legs where pinned under falling building rubble and that caused him to lose the legs. He now walks with the use of two prosthetic legs." The source goes on to add "He doesn't blame Superman for it [his loss of legs]. He feels grateful that Superman saved the world."
    http://www.thedevilseyes.com/2014/08/exclusive-scoot-mcnairys-role-revealed.html#.U_7xuCV19UN.twitter

And... in an attempt to fix it he accidentally gets turned into a turtle giant?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Ok, I like gritty dark violent stories (One of my favorite movies is Dredd for fuck's sake.)

But that is being overly grim dark for no reason whatsoever.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Crossposting...

This is bordering on Warhammer 40k levels of ridiculous.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    I think that's a really intersting idea that directly addresses one of the issues people had in MoS, the whole collateral damage thing.

But wasn't there already a gender swapped Jenny Olsen in MoS?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    I think that's a really intersting idea that directly addresses one of the issues people had in MoS, the whole collateral damage thing.

The rubble fell on him really hard

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Crossposting...

Weren't we JUST calling bullshit on how the destruction of Metroplis wasn't addressed? Christ, thread.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Jeedan wrote: »

Allow me to elaborate on my warhammer 40,000 analogy.
    In WH40K, The imperium of man routinely engages in wholesale slaughter. Sometimes it's just by having a big battle with some orcs. Sometimes it's sending millions of guardsmen to their deaths in order to defend this one world without realizing it was over run centuries ago by the tyrannids and they're going to just be food for the bugs.

And sometimes, it's the inquisition bombing the shit out of a city or blowing up a planet because they think theirs a demon or a cult or they're hiding a psychic or they misplaced their TPS reports.

The common folk (instead of being horrified and trying to establish a government that can actually function) are just grateful about how horribly abused they are.

I'm seeing a lot of that here, along with stiff arming peoples legitimate complaints about the original movie.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    They're taking the optimistic "city half not destroyed" attitude.

Maybe that's how Superman will bring hope to the world. He's going to make everything so crappy that people will have to cling on to some shred of hope just to survive.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    They're taking the optimistic "city half not destroyed" attitude.

Maybe that's how Superman will bring hope to the world. He's going to make everything so crappy that people will have to cling on to some shred of hope just to survive.

They say that the great thing about being shitty is that you can only get better...

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Green Lantern was a terrible movie, but the only parts that are even a little bit redeeming are the hal jordan-is-a-joking-asshole parts

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    To be fair, the "No Jokes" is assumed to be an edict by a blogger because he heard that phrase a couple of times - but we don't know in what context that phrase came up. We don't know if it refers to one character (for example, differentiating DoJ Batman from 60s and 90s Batman), to key scenes, to just one movie, to the DoJ Franchise, to ALL DC Movies, or what. It may be as specific as "no wisecracking assholes" and still leave room for Hulk Smashing Loki visuals.

It is probably safe to say that they're not aiming for a tone as lighthearted as, say, GotG - but Cap2 had a bunch of chuckles despite being probably the most serious of the MCU so far.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Well, Rogen is working on the adaptation of Preacher for TV, and that comic is from a Vertigo imprint owned by DC. So, presumably, he does have some contact with the folks at WB and DC. However, Preacher is not part of DC's superhero properties, so any policy that applies to those movies probably wouldn't apply to it. It's also being adapted for TV, and Arrow and The Flash have clearly shown that a different policy is in place for TV adaptations of DC properties.

So Rogen might be making assumptions based on his experiences, without really knowing if the people he's working for have much say in how the DC superhero movies are carried out.

Rogen being involved in Preacher in any capacity is worrying. Remember what he did to Green Hornet? :(

• Options
    I posted this in the SE thread, but the difference between Marvel and DC is that Marvel gets that people use humor as a coping mechanism; they play it up in their stories and it winds up being funny and humanizing. Thus they can deal with grim subject matter while remaining relatively light.

Meanwhile DC seems to want its stories to all be The Dark Knight; they can still be good or uplifting stories, but they always have to be emotionally exhausting. The problem with that approach is that when it doesn't work it really doesn't work and you get Man of Steel, a film where you ultimately don't really find anything worth caring about.

Without the humor.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That's true.

Even in Green Lantern, which I didn't think was as bad as others thought (it was just really mediocre) there wasn't that much humor, or coping humor. Reynolds uses humor in that more cynical way. Oh this stupid lantern thingie, I'm totes cooler than this even though I'll make a hot wheel ramp for a car.

That was bad humor that wasn't funny. Reynolds failed at being RDJ Stark, which is weird since he was funny in Blade: Trinity.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    hal jordan jokes to cover the fact that he's afraid

that's like, practically the central conceit of the character and the reason reynolds was actually a pretty good casting

unfortunately the rest of the movie was pretty bad

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2014

that's like, practically the central conceit of the character and the reason reynolds was actually a pretty good casting

unfortunately the rest of the movie was pretty bad

But Reynolds' did it so badly. GL wasn't a performance he should be proud of.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I thought Hal Jordan was never afraid. Like, crazy person never afraid, which is why he could be a green lantern. It's an entrance requirement. You aren't the guy who looks at danger and goes "Fuck. I would rather be doing literally anything else, but the job's in front of me, and the blood should hide the urine stains." but the guy who goes "I fucking rule. Hey everyone! Watch me be kickass and awesome! I HAVE NO SENSE OF MY OWN MORTALITY!"

Which is why Guy Gardner's so great. He's completely fearless, honest, strong willed and (partially due to the aforementioned qualities) a gigantic asshole who pisses off almost everyone around him.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I thought Hal Jordan was never afraid. Like, crazy person never afraid, which is why he could be a green lantern. It's an entrance requirement. You aren't the guy who looks at danger and goes "Fuck. I would rather be doing literally anything else, but the job's in front of me, and the blood should hide the urine stains." but the guy who goes "I fucking rule. Hey everyone! Watch me be kickass and awesome! I HAVE NO SENSE OF MY OWN MORTALITY!"

Which is why Guy Gardner's so great. He's completely fearless, honest, strong willed and (partially due to the aforementioned qualities) a gigantic asshole who pisses off almost everyone around him.

(Famous line from all versions of Green Lantern) "You have the ability to overcome great fear." Green Lanterns feel fear, they're able to suppress and handle it though. They don't crumple under pressure is the idea. They don't have defective brains that cannot process a fear response.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Rogen being involved in Preacher in any capacity is worrying. Remember what he did to Green Hornet? :(

I liked Green Hornet. Then again, I have a weakness for Christoph Waltz

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I liked Green Hornet. Then again, I have a weakness for Bloodnofsky
    ftfy

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Crossposting...

Superman to be portrayed as a radical Inquisitor, Batman is a puritanical Inquisitor leading to a confrontation. Wonder Woman is an Ecclesiarchy agent attempting to root out a suspected Chaos cult before the Inquisition just levels everything. Lex Luthor is the simple businessman caught in the crossfire who gets mixed up with a Chaos cult after having everything he knows leveled during the mid movie Exterminatus.
    Jimmy Olson is Superman's servitor.

JUSTICE LEAGUE 40K: FOR THE EMPEROR

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Crossposting...

Superman to be portrayed as a radical Inquisitor, Batman is a puritanical Inquisitor leading to a confrontation. Wonder Woman is an Ecclesiarchy agent attempting to root out a suspected Chaos cult before the Inquisition just levels everything. Lex Luthor is the simple businessman caught in the crossfire who gets mixed up with a Chaos cult after having everything he knows leveled during the mid movie Exterminatus.
    Jimmy Olson is Superman's servitor.

JUSTICE LEAGUE 40K: FOR THE EMPEROR

I'd watch it.

• Options
    There's a new official photo of the Batmobile from BvS:DoJ:
    cTUe0Il.jpg

It has a giant machine gun turret on the front because of course it does.

• Options
    cTUe0Il.jpg

It shoots
    fluffy bunnies.

• Options
    Oh come on, we don't have to pick apart everything. The animated version of the batwing had missiles and pretty much every version of Batman carries explosives.

That batmobile looks fine.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    that batmobile looks like a new Michael Bay transformer

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Batmobile is hard to really make out in those picks, so I don't have a really good sense of its shape, but I don't have any beef with it. Looks fine.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Burton's Batmobile had machine guns too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    cTUe0Il.jpg

"Rubber bullets."

"Honest."

I offer three to one odds that line (or a tribute) is in the movie.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Burton's Batman killed some dudes.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    cTUe0Il.jpg

"Rubber bullets."

"Honest."

I offer three to one odds that line (or a tribute) is in the movie.
    It'll also probably have some ridiculous aiming algorithm so that it can rattle off a few rounds near-point blank and not hit anyone, just to scare people. Or just use blanks.

That said, this IS supposed to Old Man Batman (via Frank Miller), so using a machine gun to solve 'big' problems isn't exactly out of character.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Burton's Batman killed some dudes.

That was in one-on-one fights though.

This discussion has been closed.