As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Heart of Thorns - first expansion announced! Release date betting pool started!

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Buncha mojo parrots up in here flapping for delicious new content.

I flapped for content back when it was uncool! Hipsters!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    I've just started playing a little bit in short bursts again. I was doing the Warming Grawnk's Heart jumping puzzles. I completed all but one; I just realized that all the locations for the Gold Ball Ornament are in a level 80 zone. My character is only level 39. Is there a way for a lower level character to get one of those puzzles, or am I pretty much out of luck?

I'm glad you linked that, because until yesterday I had been doing Wintersday stuff, but I had forgotten to start this process, and had it not been linked I probably would have forgotten again. Thanks.

• Options
    Thats a pretty cool shoulder scarf.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    I've just started playing a little bit in short bursts again. I was doing the Warming Grawnk's Heart jumping puzzles. I completed all but one; I just realized that all the locations for the Gold Ball Ornament are in a level 80 zone. My character is only level 39. Is there a way for a lower level character to get one of those puzzles, or am I pretty much out of luck?

I'm glad you linked that, because until yesterday I had been doing Wintersday stuff, but I had forgotten to start this process, and had it not been linked I probably would have forgotten again. Thanks.

For anyone who hasn't started it yet, it takes 3 days to complete (2 days of quick stuff and then 1 day of jumping puzzles), so make sure you start it at least 3 days before the end of Wintersday. This may be the only chance to get the empyreal fragment-eating star and the tree that gives you a present every day. The star is like a Maudrey II but for empyreal fragments and is much, much easier to get.

Edit: It's also worth noting that this gets you the title "Deer Commander", which is how the spelling-challenged orphans address you in their plea for help. But I picture this:
    eAbmlW7.jpg

Kylindra on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Thats a pretty cool shoulder scarf.

On a charr it's a king-sized bedsheet.

k140y2K.png

On the upside, if that lionguard gets uppity i'm sure I could use it to improvise an asura-sized straitjacket.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Everything looks cooler on Charr :|

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Except most hats... though in compensation the little top hat looks incredibly cool on Charr.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    mojo you should come back. WvW is getting real.

There's a 4 way war for T2. Basically there are four server's trying to get 3 spaces and tier 3 doesn't have enough people to support any of the four. Super wacky stuff is going on. One server literally tried to buy another (ok that might be my doing...) and hoo boy.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    nope. needs more meat. dhrama alone cannot sustain me.

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I don't know if any of you are watching the Grindies thread, but I think many of you will agree with my nominee for MMO of the Year. ;) Now if only it weren't so true. :(

Kylindra on
  • Options
    Kylindra wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you are watching the Grindies thread, but I think many of you will agree with my nominee for MMO of the Year. ;) Now if only it weren't so true. :(

im glad i read all that pre commenting. Flap on lady.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I think it says more about the current state of MMO's than it does about GW2 that I nominated it as GOTY in the grindies. It was sort of a vote made in objection because out of the MMO's I've played this year (and complained about) it still wins out.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Entaru wrote: »
    I think it says more about the current state of MMO's than it does about GW2 that I nominated it as GOTY in the grindies. It was sort of a vote made in objection because out of the MMO's I've played this year (and complained about) it still wins out.

Yeah. Thank swtor/eso/wildstar for that. Big budgets for MMOs may be over.

this year?

SWTOR? latest expansion shows massive massive cracks in the game. Less $$$ resources are being used on the game and it is starting to show in the breadth, depth and quality of the content. Yikes.... nerp.
    Wildstar? WTF were they thinking? My god what a mess. awesome ad campaign! Nerrrrrrp
    Eso? Feels pretty good just.... to single player-y and didn't hold many folks for long. its just okay. nerrrrp
    Archeage- brilliant concept brought to america by a good company- hindered by language barriers and the foreign company they are beholden to. XL games couldnt code or secure thier game if thier lives depended on it. Giant shame. Nerp
    WoW - its amazing but you have done this before. like for 8-10 years you have done this. I mean.... its a pretty baller expansion. its a valid choice but it feels dirty.
    GW2 - its been talked to death. its too little. its not on schedule even though its little etc etc.

Result- we all lost this year there is no winner. it literally would take a solid(not even great) GW2 expansion for them to topple the struggling market over like bad MMO Jenga tower. But they REFUSE. WoW is gaining ground again- because whats the alternative?

Because there must be a winner: Best MMO = super mario brothers for the NES. Lets all go raid 8-4. the turtle-dragon boss is retarded loot.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    VanderbrentVanderbrent Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Because there must be a winner: Best MMO = super mario brothers for the NES. Lets all go raid 8-4. the turtle-dragon boss is retarded loot.

hate to break this to you mojo but:
    there is no loot at the end of 8-4. The princess just thanks you then sends you on a new quest.

Vanderbrent on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    if SAB made a return in 2014 I would have been happier.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

this year?

SWTOR? latest expansion shows massive massive cracks in the game. Less $$$ resources are being used on the game and it is starting to show in the breadth, depth and quality of the content. Yikes.... nerp.
    Wildstar? WTF were they thinking? My god what a mess. awesome ad campaign! Nerrrrrrp
    Eso? Feels pretty good just.... to single player-y and didn't hold many folks for long. its just okay. nerrrrp
    Archeage- brilliant concept brought to america by a good company- hindered by language barriers and the foreign company they are beholden to. XL games couldnt code or secure thier game if thier lives depended on it. Giant shame. Nerp
    WoW - its amazing but you have done this before. like for 8-10 years you have done this. I mean.... its a pretty baller expansion. its a valid choice but it feels dirty.
    GW2 - its been talked to death. its too little. its not on schedule even though its little etc etc.

Result- we all lost this year there is no winner. it literally would take a solid(not even great) GW2 expansion for them to topple the struggling market over like bad MMO Jenga tower. But they REFUSE. WoW is gaining ground again- because whats the alternative?

Call me crazy/biased/fanboy/whatever but I feel you may be missing one from that list....

Not to mention the one that may actually "win" on the various "Best MMO of 2014" lists out there, for whatever that's worth.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

this year?

Call me crazy/biased/fanboy/whatever but I feel you may be missing one from that list....

Not to mention the one that may actually "win" on the various "Best MMO of 2014" lists out there, for whatever that's worth.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! and that one may for reals be the winner. if for no other reason than the monumental effort to get the game in the massively good state its in. All with a grain of salt as I didn't have time to use my trial up on that game.... never gave it a full shot. but You are correct, all reports are that FF is baller.

And @vanderbrent I was saving that game for later! you ruined it!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Edit: Whoops, thought I was responding to posts in the Grindies thread.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I was going to get the rest of the heritage armour skins, but then I played GW1 and remembered how much I didn't like it.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I was going to get the rest of the heritage armour skins, but then I played GW1 and remembered how much I didn't like it.

Easiest way to get the additional 3 points (after the ones you get linking the accounts) you need to unlock all the heritage armor skins is through the Fellowship Monument. All you need is Nightfall + EotN (though having all three base campaigns will make it go a bit quicker.)

First, you can get a level 20 pet (Elder wolf, specifically) for one statue simply by rolling a PvP Primary Ranger and taking that character to the Zaishan Menagerie. After that, you start a Nightfall Character and play until to can do the challenge mission in Dajkah Inlet and replay that until you have enough Stolen Sunspear Armor to unlock the upgraded armor for four of your companions (Koss, Melonni, Dunkoro, and whichever Acolyte you ended up picking). If you have all the base campaigns, you can pick up M.O.X. in outside of Kamadan (who can be dedicated to the Fellowship monument the moment you get him with no upgrades) once you hit level 10, and therefore only need three sets of armor. Then it's unlock secondary Ranger for that PvE character (if s/he wasn't already some form of ranger) swing by the Battle Isles for that level 20 wolf, then start the EotN campaign, play till you get to the HoM, then unlock Fellowship, place a common pet + four hero statues, and tah da! Now you can outfit your ranger in that snazzy retro ranger armor without ever touching GW1 again, if you so chose.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    vOv

Honestly outside of changing rules and class balance I dunno what they could add to WvW. I guess they could add some classes or abilities, maybe some new traits. I mean, they've already shown with EoTM that they can't make a new map for shit. There's not really anything wrong with that though. Dota and LoL have gotten along just fine in that regard. There was a period of time when I wanted new maps but now I don't really care. Maybe tweak hills a bit? I dunno. Despite being well known and played there's still a lot of variability to how you can play the borderlands and EB imo.

I'm still eagerly awaiting Camelot, but from what I've heard about the development I'm pretty cold on it right now. You want to implement old school mechanics because why exactly? Is sitting in one place to use an ability still fun for you? Really? The white swords change has kinda blown but actually the PPK change has fixed coverage issues a bit; I've definitely warmed up to it. Hopefully they make one permanent and the other not.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Most important is to stay away from the core campaign/Prophecies. If it's a game you really wanna get into, go for it, otherwise do nightfall or factions and hit level 20 so fast you'll be finishing the campaign before your prophecies character would even hit 20.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Easiest way to get the additional 3 points (after the ones you get linking the accounts) you need to unlock all the heritage armor skins is through the Fellowship Monument. All you need is Nightfall + EotN (though having all three base campaigns will make it go a bit quicker.)

First, you can get a level 20 pet (Elder wolf, specifically) for one statue simply by rolling a PvP Primary Ranger and taking that character to the Zaishan Menagerie. After that, you start a Nightfall Character and play until to can do the challenge mission in Dajkah Inlet and replay that until you have enough Stolen Sunspear Armor to unlock the upgraded armor for four of your companions (Koss, Melonni, Dunkoro, and whichever Acolyte you ended up picking). If you have all the base campaigns, you can pick up M.O.X. in outside of Kamadan (who can be dedicated to the Fellowship monument the moment you get him with no upgrades) once you hit level 10, and therefore only need three sets of armor. Then it's unlock secondary Ranger for that PvE character (if s/he wasn't already some form of ranger) swing by the Battle Isles for that level 20 wolf, then start the EotN campaign, play till you get to the HoM, then unlock Fellowship, place a common pet + four hero statues, and tah da! Now you can outfit your ranger in that snazzy retro ranger armor without ever touching GW1 again, if you so chose.

I'll see what I can do probably tomorrow. Thanks!

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So the PAX South panel schedule got released, and this is happening:
    Join ArenaNet president and co-founder Mike O’Brien and Guild Wars 2 game director Colin Johanson for an exclusive sneak peek at what’s next in Guild Wars 2 and be among the first to hear how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe. The Living World was just the beginning.

The panel is about 2 weeks after the finale of Season 2. The President of the company is running it??

Flap harder

EDIT: Correction, that is 10 days after the RETURN of Season 2, not the finale.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    RilkeRilke Balthazar bless my strength, teach my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Rilke on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    So the PAX South panel schedule got released, and this is happening:
    Join ArenaNet president and co-founder Mike O’Brien and Guild Wars 2 game director Colin Johanson for an exclusive sneak peek at what’s next in Guild Wars 2 and be among the first to hear how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe. The Living World was just the beginning.

The panel is about 2 weeks after the finale of Season 2. The President of the company is running it??

Flap harder

EDIT: Correction, that is 10 days after the RETURN of Season 2, not the finale.

Slightly hopeful. Guess we'll see soon enough.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    ill flap to it. I mean its the pres-o-dent. if his ass is drug out it must be more than this living story baby nuggets.

But i swear to baby cheesus, if they announce something dumb like living story 3.0 and arent boo'd.......... Ill eat my hat. *

* mojo is wearing a nacho hat and it is delicious.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Surely its something big. I logged in two days in a row.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Okay, I'll admit to being out of the loop.

Can someone explain the "flapping" meme to me?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Mojo wants an expansion with Tengu in it.

"Flapping" is his expression of that.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Ha HAA! While you all got excited for East and here I was with my South ticket thinking I'd miss things!

I can't promise I'll be at that panel but I'm darn sure gonna try.

• Options
    At least the first three heritage skins are the most important of the set.
    2fnmkhpsgv98.jpg

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    The light shoulders are some of the best in the game.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Mojo wants an expansion with Tengu in it.

"Flapping" is his expression of that.

And as is usual mojo set trends and others flap too.

The 'we want content' flock flaps for hope. You can express your unhappiness with anets choices... its a bleak time... and still flap out your still alive hope and love of gw2.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Hmm.. big sneak peek at something for expanding GW2 that is not the living world. The wording seems to suggest it is something "new" though.. so.. not a traditional expansion?

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Enig wrote: »
    Hmm.. big sneak peek at something for expanding GW2 that is not the living world. The wording seems to suggest it is something "new" though.. so.. not a traditional expansion?

Lookit man. They want to save face maybe? Its the new "living content" boxed upgrade, its definitely not an expansion- but it has all the stuff an expansion would. look how different we are!

Its not about an xpack- its about getting a fresh content and systems dump on a very stale game.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »

Maybe a mission pack, or a new campaign, or DLC, or some other word to discuss a sudden addition of vast amounts of new content.

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Extension Pack! They're not expanding the game, they're extending the array of content available to the players.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Anyone know how FA is doing in west coast time right now? I probably won't be able to play east coast time for a while but I can play later.

Also what's the meta like now?

• Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    Doe
    Anyone know how FA is doing in west coast time right now? I probably won't be able to play east coast time for a while but I can play later.

Also what's the meta like now?

PVE is same berzerker as always... metabattle.com has a good list of builds for all content.

SPVP in a nutshell, celestial engineers and eles are doing well, and also zerk rangers. There are decent builds for all classes but some fall a bit short, especially necro.

This discussion has been closed.