Options

Playstation Portable: What do I need?

2»

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Out Run 2006: Coast 2 Coast is an excellent conversion of one of last-gen's best arcade racers. It's got the full Out Run 2 and Out Run 2 SP arcade games with a shitload of extra stuff too. If you want to do everything in it it'll take you a long time. It's a perfect fit for the system, 'cos it's great for a five minute session or you can play it for a couple of hours straight and not get bored.

Check your copy of GTA:LCS and see if it has the version 2.00 update on it. If it's that version, you'll need it for downgrading later firmwares (the first step in installing custom firmware). As a result it's become a pretty sought-after game, whereas later releases of it aren't. It's actually a damn fine game, too.

MGS: Portable Ops is well worth getting, although it's a little light in the story department and the squad management isn't as deep as it pretends to be. It's still a fantastic game, though, and seeking out new comrades from wi-fi hotspots is a ton of fun.

Other I'd highly recommend are already the "usual suspects" in this thread; especially Wipeout Pure, but be prepared to give it a good 70MB of memory stick space for its downloadable content, which is awesome and free.

I've also had a lot of fun using it as a movie player... I had quite the UMD collection at one point. Seek out used/discounted ones for $10 or so a pop, and enjoy.

Finally, custom firmware... the process can (although very probably won't) 'brick' your PSP. I'm currently using version 3.10 OE-A by Dark_AleX on mine and it's great: all the functionality of the official 3.10 with the homebrew capabilities of 1.50. Back in the day I used to go between versions 1.50 and 2.00 easily, but the process now is definitely more involved (going from official 3.03 back to 1.50 and up to custom 3.10 OE-A took me about an hour total), but if you're a semi-knowledgable tech-head you should be fine. It really comes down to what you want to do with your PSP. (I'm waiting on region-free UMD playback which 3.10 OE-A was supposed to offer, but didn't.)

Good luck, and enjoy your PSP, it's a great little system.

Jazz on
  • Options
    chomamadogchomamadog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mr_Snuffle wrote: »
    jimmy8091 wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    What can you do with custom firmware?

What interests me about the PSP is that being a PS3 owner i can do that whole remote play, access your PS3's harddrive from anywhere thing. If I ever want an mp3 player, it's going to be a PSP.

Homebrew, and rip+convert your own PSX games to play.
    The question is not "can you do with custom firmware?", it's what can't you do.
    • Wirelessly stream video to your PSP
    • Control your Xbox Media Center
    • Control your PC
    • Emus
    • Interweb radio
    • Universal remote
    • Connect to AIM, ICQ, MSN, Gtalk, and YIM
    • .... the list goes on & on.

And ScummVM :)

edit - Oh, and Bookr is awesome too

How is it that no one mentioned the PSX > PSP funtionality? Step 1, rip PSX game, Step 2, run PSX game through PSX > PSP converter program (I forgot the name of it), Step 3, play PSX game anywhere you want.

Edit: As a movie player it is also awesome, PSP Video 9, free PSP movie encoding software.

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    chomamadog wrote: »

What interests me about the PSP is that being a PS3 owner i can do that whole remote play, access your PS3's harddrive from anywhere thing. If I ever want an mp3 player, it's going to be a PSP.

• Control your PC
    • Emus
    • Interweb radio
    • Universal remote

How is it that no one mentioned the PSX > PSP funtionality? Step 1, rip PSX game, Step 2, run PSX game through PSX > PSP converter program (I forgot the name of it), Step 3, play PSX game anywhere you want.

I did. In the very tree you quoted.

yalborap on
  • Options
    chomamadogchomamadog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    chomamadog wrote: »

• Control your PC
    • Emus
    • Interweb radio
    • Universal remote

I did. In the very tree you quoted.

Oh, damn, I can't believe I didn't see it. I really just read over the starred items and I was like, "are you kidding me?"

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png
  • Options
    PolishElvisPolishElvis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pursuit Force and the SOCOM Fireteam Brova series are good games. Also try to get a 1 gig or more mem stick for riping DVD's. UMD movies just arn't that good.

PolishElvis on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I fully endorse the custom firmware. It's really quite easy to set up and as long as you follow the correct directions and do everything properly the chances of your bricking your psp are very very very slim.

I just thought I'd mention since it's really cool that recently someone released a homebrew version of triple triad from FFVIII with an MMO play format for the PSP. I've yet to try it but it looks really freaking awesome.

edit: trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP8QGAkRs1s

Scosglen on