As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I now own a PS2. Never had one before.

StreckStreck Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Games and Technology
I picked up a PlayStation 2 from Goodwill, plus one 8 MB memory card and one controller, for $20.

aom1ZTw.jpg

I never had a PS2 back in the day. My experience with it consists of two Katamari Damacy games, Frequency, and Amplitude, all played on someone else's system, and briefly using it as a DVD player with some college buds.

To say I'm playing catch-up is putting it mildly. Wikipedia says there are almost 4,000 games for the PS2 and I have been collecting suggestions from friends and coworkers. RPGs, sports games, and racing games aren't really my thing (though RPGs have exceptions, mostly when they're combined with action-adventure), but I love platformers, survival horror, puzzle games, and basically anything else. Rhythm games would be okay too I guess but I don't have a lot of people over.

With a library so vast, there have to be a lot of games worth my time in addition to the suggestions I've gotten so far. All I own right now is Ratchet & Clank and Manhunt.

Shadow of the Colossus
Max Payne
Ratchet & Clank (bought this with the system for $4, just started)
God of War 1 and 2
Resident Evil 2 and 3 (played these on GameCube but want to try the PS2 version)
ICO
Metal Gear Solid
Super Bust-A-Move
Various Devil May Cry games
Various Crash Bandicoot games
Various Spyro games
Legacy of Kain
Silent Hill 2-4 (played 2 and 4 on Xbox but want to try the PS2 version)
Various GTA
Alien Hominid
Black
Various Jak & Dexter
REZ
Manhunt (a coworker gave me this on Friday and told me to play it in the dark)
Dead to Rights
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Okami
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain
True Crime: Streets of L.A.
The Warriors
X-Men Legends
Metal Saga
Technic Beat
God Hand
Space Channel 5
AntiGrav

I've gotten a small number of PS1 suggestions as well. I played Twisted Metal 2 and 4 on that back in college, and I watched someone play FF7. I intend to explore that system's library as thoroughly as the PS2's.

Resident Evil 1
Silent Hill 1
Parasite Eve
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot

Care to help a fellow relive a youth he never had?

Streck on

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Unless someone else felt overwise, I'd skip the Crash and Spryo games on the PS2 and only play the PS1 verisons - they were the ones by their original creators and to me were the only ones worth revisiting.

You're right though - the libraries are enormous and figuring out everything to buy would be an enormous undertaking. I could probably spend all day making a response but as some quick notes...

I'd add the Sly Cooper series
    If you like sports - NBA Street v3, SSX Tricky, Def Jam Fight for NY/Vendetta all age well
    Ico/Shadow of Colossus I would only recommend if you don't have access to the PS3 remakes - Ico is one of my favorite games of all time, but Shadow really benefits from the better framerate.

PS1 Add Castlevania SOTN and Tony Hawk 2

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I'm not much for sports games or RPGs (unless they're action-adventure RPGs). And I'm not much for playing against AI. It's just me and myself playing these games...

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    If you've got a PS3, get the PS3 remakes of SOTC/Ico, Kingdom Hearts, and MGS2 and 3.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Onimusha needs to be on that list somewhere. At least the first one.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Too bad pure RPGs aren't your thing cause I've still got a few...

If you like grid based tactical combat with a small real time engagement in an alternated japan, Ring of Red is pretty good.

Max Payne you're better off on PC with (cheap and modible).

If you find a USB headset you can play Manhunt with that. The Director will then only speak through it and you can use the mic for making distraction noises.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    If you find a USB headset you can play Manhunt with that. The Director will then only speak through it and you can use the mic for making distraction noises.
    Ooooh. I really like that idea. A headset wasn't included with my purchase but it should be easy enough to acquire...

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Too bad pure RPGs aren't your thing cause I've still got a few...

If you like grid based tactical combat with a small real time engagement in an alternated japan, Ring of Red is pretty good.

Max Payne you're better off on PC with (cheap and modible).

Bro fist X 1000

Ring of Red was one of my favorite PS2 games. Underrated gem that one.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    If you like Ratchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando and Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal are great. Ratchet: Deadlocked is this weird semi-spinoff that's multiplayer-oriented and pointlessly grimdark. Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank are upports of PSP games, and are only okay.

Since you like platformers, you might want to look into Sly Cooper, which is a platformer blended with light stealth. The first game is a fairly straightforward platformer and is good, but 2 and 3 are like open-world platformers built around wonderfully tight heists. Like great heist movies, there's a lot of preparation leading up to one big heist, which are complex, multi-activity things that invariably go wrong and require last-minute improvization.

Oh, and if you're wondering, the PS2 hard drive was never really used for much beyond Final Fantasy 11. You'll be fine sticking with memory cards.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Mark of Kri!

playstation-49213-31355376923.jpg

Nice, Disney style graphics with brutal murder animations and violence. Still has a cool combat style, where you sweep the second analog stick around to highlight enemies and then you use the face button assigned to that enemy to attack them. It's kind of (but not really) proto- Arkham combat.

Avoid the sequel.

• Options
    Investigating all the PS2 accessories has been a little project in itself. Right now I don't see much use for the hard drive or the network adapter. According to Wikipedia, not many US releases took advantage of the drive. Nothing I'd play, anyway. (There's, uh, The Sims 2, but I'd just as soon play that on the computer, in a universe where I played Sims games.)

Some casual research seems to indicate that I inadvertently obtained one of the older models, which were equipped with a little-used "i.LINK" port (FireWire) for networking in lieu of Ethernet.

This system couldn't be more different from the Xbox in its aesthetic. Both its external appearance and system menus exude a sort of laid-back authority, whereas the Xbox is an in-your-face "please notice us!" It's sleek and Japanese and very sure of itself. Some of that probably just comes from knowing that I will have a good time with this console due to its enormous library.

I've gotten a little into Ratchet & Clark and am absolutely loving it!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    You should check out Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction if you never played it on the Xbox. It was one of the first non-GTA open world games I enjoyed after GTA. It takes place in North Korea after an all-out war has broken out and you have to capture/kill various high value targets. You can order in all sorts of different airstrikes/artillery strikes/bunker busters/etc. to help you get rid of enemy resistance. I really enjoyed it. Here's an old Gamespot review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgJChJGCfRI
    (RIP Ryan Davis)

They made a sequel on the 360/PS3, but it wasn't as well received. It was OK, but just OK.

Another game you might want to check out is Dark Cloud 2. It's an action RPG whose battle system is slightly similar to the 3D Zelda games, but the dungeons are all randomized. As you explore them, you find items to help build stuff in the corresponding town area. There's a lot of stuff to do in the game, including item crafting. fishing, and photography (for use with inventions/crafting). When you complete a dungeon floor, you can even play a (difficult) golf-like game.

I mentioned the town building stuff earlier; basically there are specific areas in the game where you can build houses and other buildings and place them wherever you want. You get a bird's eye view of the area and can move things around pretty easily. I had a lot of fun building up areas and then exploring them on foot.

You don't need to experience the first Dark Cloud to enjoy it. In fact, I recommend against playing the first game. They basically took almost everything good about Dark Cloud and threw out all the bad stuff for DC2.

I couldn't find a professional review from one of the big sites back then, but this amateur one seems to show some of the good aspects of the game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URT56uAZSpc

I completed the game, but I never did finish the bonus dungeon in the epilogue. I believe it was 100 floors long. I think I had spent over 80 hours in the game at that point and decided to "take a break and come back to this game later." My save file is still awaiting my return 10 years later.

Man, the PS2 was such an awesome system. Since you have an older model, be aware you could end up getting the dreaded Disc Read Error problem. Sony fixed mine for free since it had become so common at that point, but I doubt that they do that anymore. It was basically the PS2 equivalent of the Xbox 360's Red Ring of Death. Any time you'd put a disc in, it would try to read it and return a "Disc Read Error." There are DUI fixes that seem to be temporary which involve opening up the system and turning a screw to increase the power of the laser, but I never messed with that.

My original model PS2 hasn't had any issues since it got repaired by Sony 11 years ago, but I also don't play it nearly as much. Maybe once a year at the most.

It's awesome that you're getting to experience Ratchet & Clank for the first time and enjoying it. That series was so much fun.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Oh - for platformers I nearly forgot Ape Escape - such a fun game with cool uses of the dual sticks.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Burnout 3 is still the best Burnout. No other game has had anywhere nearly as satisfying vehicular combat.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Also, if you want a very unique rhythm game, try Gitaroo Man.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8-4K5Q0Zc8

It might be a little pricey these days though.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    You might like Rogue Galaxy. Action/Adventure/RPG with some of the best visuals on the system. From Level-5.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    You should check out Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction if you never played it on the Xbox. It was one of the first non-GTA open world games I enjoyed after GTA. It takes place in North Korea after an all-out war has broken out and you have to capture/kill various high value targets. You can order in all sorts of different airstrikes/artillery strikes/bunker busters/etc. to help you get rid of enemy resistance. I really enjoyed it. Here's an old Gamespot review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgJChJGCfRI
    (RIP Ryan Davis)

They made a sequel on the 360/PS3, but it wasn't as well received. It was OK, but just OK.

Another game you might want to check out is Dark Cloud 2. It's an action RPG whose battle system is slightly similar to the 3D Zelda games, but the dungeons are all randomized. As you explore them, you find items to help build stuff in the corresponding town area. There's a lot of stuff to do in the game, including item crafting. fishing, and photography (for use with inventions/crafting). When you complete a dungeon floor, you can even play a (difficult) golf-like game.

I mentioned the town building stuff earlier; basically there are specific areas in the game where you can build houses and other buildings and place them wherever you want. You get a bird's eye view of the area and can move things around pretty easily. I had a lot of fun building up areas and then exploring them on foot.

You don't need to experience the first Dark Cloud to enjoy it. In fact, I recommend against playing the first game. They basically took almost everything good about Dark Cloud and threw out all the bad stuff for DC2.

I couldn't find a professional review from one of the big sites back then, but this amateur one seems to show some of the good aspects of the game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URT56uAZSpc

I completed the game, but I never did finish the bonus dungeon in the epilogue. I believe it was 100 floors long. I think I had spent over 80 hours in the game at that point and decided to "take a break and come back to this game later." My save file is still awaiting my return 10 years later.

Man, the PS2 was such an awesome system. Since you have an older model, be aware you could end up getting the dreaded Disc Read Error problem. Sony fixed mine for free since it had become so common at that point, but I doubt that they do that anymore. It was basically the PS2 equivalent of the Xbox 360's Red Ring of Death. Any time you'd put a disc in, it would try to read it and return a "Disc Read Error." There are DUI fixes that seem to be temporary which involve opening up the system and turning a screw to increase the power of the laser, but I never messed with that.

My original model PS2 hasn't had any issues since it got repaired by Sony 11 years ago, but I also don't play it nearly as much. Maybe once a year at the most.

It's awesome that you're getting to experience Ratchet & Clank for the first time and enjoying it. That series was so much fun.

Dark Cloud 2 is fucking great and goddamit, where are my town building 3rd person zelda style action games?!? My Life As A King could only take me so far...

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Odin Sphere!

Metal Gear Solid 2&3, especially 3. It's still my favorite of the series.

Shinobi

Zone of the Enders 1&2 (though as was mentioned above with Ico/SotC, if you have access to a PS3, the HD remake is probably easier to find and better)

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Basically any of the Armored Core games. If you want to choose just one, then probably Nexus.

If you're into really bizarre/unhappy stories, and are willing to put up with pretty mediocre-bad Dynasty Warriors-esque gameplay, then I highly recommend Drakengard. Just, uh, turn off the music.

And many more, but if you're not looking for RPGs I'll lay off of them.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    A couple of shooters you need to try and get your hands on: Gradius V and The Red Star. Both awesome, both for different reasons.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hVnNh84PcU

Also The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    War of the Monsters is an awesome competitive multiplayer, 3D brawler about kaiju running amok in various cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfw_Mrffzvo

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Alright.

The Warriors was an awesome beat 'em up.

Play all the PS2 era Grand Theft Autos.

And you mention Resident Evil 1, 2, & 3.

But you don't mention 4.

I'm an RE fanatic.

And my favourite RE by far (yes, even more than 2) is RE4. I have completed it so many times it's not funny anymore.

GET RE4. PLAY RE4.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Kainy wrote: »
    Odin Sphere!

Shinobi

Zone of the Enders 1&2 (though as was mentioned above with Ico/SotC, if you have access to a PS3, the HD remake is probably easier to find and better)

Basically any of the Armored Core games. If you want to choose just one, then probably Nexus.

If you're into really bizarre/unhappy stories, and are willing to put up with pretty mediocre-bad Dynasty Warriors-esque gameplay, then I highly recommend Drakengard. Just, uh, turn off the music.

Although let me just say this about Zone of the Enders: the voice acting/story is pretty cringeworthy. I just finished playing through the game a few minutes ago. I'm still going to move on to the sequel, but I wish I didn't have to hear most of the VO. The lady playing the computer voice wasn't too bad, at least.

It's still pretty fun, at least!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Kainy wrote: »
    Odin Sphere!

Shinobi

Although let me just say this about Zone of the Enders: the voice acting/story is pretty cringeworthy. I just finished playing through the game a few minutes ago. I'm still going to move on to the sequel, but I wish I didn't have to hear most of the VO. The lady playing the computer voice wasn't too bad, at least.

It's still pretty fun, at least!

The original ZoE was a vehicle for the MGS2 demo. ZoE2 was fantastic.

Though some of the voice acting is still pretty bad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Looking at your list, every game on there that I'd recommend already has an HD collection re-release. Jak & Daxter and Zone of the Enders in particular, but Kingdom Hearts and Devil May Cry are good, too.

I'd also throw in SSX3 and Burnout 3, both of which are some of my favorite games of all time. It's been such a long time since I last played any PS2 games that I can hardly remember what my favorite titles were.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    You might like Rogue Galaxy. Action/Adventure/RPG with some of the best visuals on the system. From Level-5.
    ^Seconding this. Great game.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Throw the Persona games on there. Persona 3 FES and Persona4.

Forbidden Siren. That one can be annoying though.

FF12

Dragon Quest 8

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Dragon Quest 8 is as RPG as they come, though.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    qo3zh37vrvpq.jpg

:)

I would look at some titles like SOS final escape, or Ring of Red really great titles that are pretty cheap.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'd suggest Katamari Damacy and We <3 Katamari, in that order, since the original game is fun but the sequel improves everything enough to make the original feel less playable.

• Options
    edited August 2014

But you don't mention 4.

I'm an RE fanatic.

And my favourite RE by far (yes, even more than 2) is RE4. I have completed it so many times it's not funny anymore.

GET RE4. PLAY RE4.

I played RE4 half a dozen times on GameCube and loved it every time, though I never quite got the hang of the Mercenaries game. Is there anything I especially need to see in the PS2 version?

Arteen wrote: »
    Looking at your list, every game on there that I'd recommend already has an HD collection re-release. Jak & Daxter and Zone of the Enders in particular, but Kingdom Hearts and Devil May Cry are good, too.

I'd also throw in SSX3 and Burnout 3, both of which are some of my favorite games of all time. It's been such a long time since I last played any PS2 games that I can hardly remember what my favorite titles were.

I actually don't have any consoles beyond the Xbox/PS2/GameCube generation, so the original releases are my only option until that changes. I honestly don't care about spruced-up graphics at all.

Never been much for sports or racing games, like I said - and I've never found playing against AI, no matter how good it is, to be all that satisfying. The only RPGs I've been able to get into are ones like Deus Ex or System Shock 2 that include elements of other genres, so something like, say, Kingdom Hearts is a possibility. JPRGs I avoid for a variety of reasons, a big one being turn-based combat... just can't stomach it.

Streck on
  • Options
    Streck wrote: »

But you don't mention 4.

I'm an RE fanatic.

GET RE4. PLAY RE4.

I played RE4 half a dozen times on GameCube and loved it every time, though I never quite got the hang of the Mercenaries game. Is there anything I especially need to see in the PS2 version?

I haven't played the PS2 version, but I did play through the Wii version and it included some bonus content from the PS2 game where you play as Ada Wong. It was...ok. I think it re-used a lot of areas from the base game, and it wasn't particularly long.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'd say Destroy all Humans if you want some fun mindless alien rampagey stupidity. Destroy all Humans 2 is also a thing - it went on a really bizarre Austin Powers-y direction however, but otherwise improved on the previous game in a few ways.

• Options
    Seriously, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDf52Q37i-Q

GameCube, PS2 and XBox.

• Options
    SSX 3 can probably be considered the pinnacle of the series.

Loved starting at Peak 3 and just going all the way down to the base city in one glorious run.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Lot of board-sports for Playstation, now that I think about it.

• Options
    Oh yeah. Tony Hawk and the rest of the Pro Series (Pro Skateboarding, Kelly Slater Pro Surfing, Shaun Palmer Pro Snowboarding, Wakeboarding Unleashed).

I'd say start with Tony Hawk 2 or 3.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Streck wrote: »

But you don't mention 4.

I'm an RE fanatic.

GET RE4. PLAY RE4.

Arteen wrote: »

I actually don't have any consoles beyond the Xbox/PS2/GameCube generation, so the original releases are my only option until that changes. I honestly don't care about spruced-up graphics at all.

Never been much for sports or racing games, like I said - and I've never found playing against AI, no matter how good it is, to be all that satisfying. The only RPGs I've been able to get into are ones like Deus Ex or System Shock 2 that include elements of other genres, so something like, say, Kingdom Hearts is a possibility. JPRGs I avoid for a variety of reasons, a big one being turn-based combat... just can't stomach it.

It's the same game. I've never really bothered with Mercenaries. There are two alternate storylines in the PS2 game where you play as Ada Wong. Umm... Did the Gamecube version have the alternate costumes on new game+?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is great. It's a well-done open world thing where it's just a joy to have a weirdly agile Hulk bound across the city and run up buildings.

It also has one of the greatest "stealth" missions ever. And a fun twist on golf.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Check out some youtube clips of Tales of the Abyss. It's an RPG, but the combat system is real-time and has a ton of interesting mechanics. It might be a game that you'd be willing to try over traditional RPGs for the combat system alone (also my favorite PS2 title of all-time).

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Krathoon on