As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

History of RMS Oceanic [chat]

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    tehsloth why are you so similar to me

we are 2 peas in a [chat]

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i used to read so much for pleasure

i would like to do that again

i manage it in bursts but then i lose momentum and then i just don't do it for a while
    (i guess the same thing with video games too)

this damn... internet smartphone world we live in

and i have no attention span

books require attention span, it's true

but there is something so satisfying about

i usually read on the subway

it's also usually where i write

i alternate between writing new poems/editing old ones/reading other people's poems/reading trashy fantasy usually on a daily basis

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    http://www.salon.com/2014/08/12/in_defense_of_black_rage_michael_brown_police_and_the_american_dream/

this
    Racism is not that tangible, that explicit. [...] I believe that racism exists in the inexplicable sense of fear, unsafety and gnawing anxiety that white people, be they officers with guns or just general folks moving about their lives, have when they encounter black people. I believe racism exists in that sense of mistrust, the extra precautions white people take when they encounter black people. I believe all these emotions have emerged from a lifetime of media consumption subtly communicating that black people are criminal, a lifetime of seeing most people in power look just like you, a lifetime of being the majority population.

poo
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I'm not really a reader

If I'm travelling, I prefer listening to music or writing or something

If I'm at home, I just dick around on the Internet

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I remain uncertain whether racism can really be engineered away without constant and deliberate propaganda by the state to obliterate competing senses of ethnic identity

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »
    I just dick around on the Internet

my existence

poo
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I think audio books might take slightly more attention than I can give them on my commute, might just have to give some other readers a shot.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    @TL DR

it would be a lot more effective weapon if it had spikes and was on fire

food for thought

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Poor Arron is always screwed over in Exodus movies. He is always one of the first things to be changed because we can't have Moses not interacting directly with the Pharaoh.

Also they never include the part where God tries to kill Moses but is stopped by some weird circumcision stuff.

• Options
    and also
    http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/08/michael_brown_and_our_obsession_with_respectable_black_victims.html
    Let me be clear: Unarmed college hopefuls don't deserve to be shot. Unarmed kids heading to work or trade school don't deserve to be shot. Unarmed kids floundering aimlessly through life don't deserve to be shot. Unarmed kids who have been in trouble—even those who have been nothing but trouble—don't deserve to be shot.

The act of pinning the tragedy of a dead black teen to his potential future success, to his respectability, to his "good"-ness, is done with all the best intentions. But if you read between the lines, aren't we really saying that had he not been on his way to college, there'd be less to mourn?

That's dead wrong.

poo
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    I remain uncertain whether racism can really be engineered away without constant and deliberate propaganda by the state to obliterate competing senses of ethnic identity

Eh, this is a pretty cynical position. In America, we are only about 60 years outside of the civil rights movement and things are already noticeably better. However, the attitudes that they were fighting against still live in some people and some of those people had kids.

It's likely something that will take several generations, maybe as long as 200 years to disappear organically. Even then, it won't be completely gone.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Being a english student at university killed my ability to read for fun since we had to analyze stuff so closely

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I don't read much anymore

I had an idea earlier to never sit in bed with my computer like I'm doing now. Make it easier to sleep early, and also, like I used to do for all of my life, just have a stack of books by my bed, pick one up and open it somewhere random and read it a bit. I've read hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy probably like ten times by just reading random bits like that.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Kanye Wests continued existence is a constant source of joy.
    bV0SZlR.jpg
    K5ExWV2.jpg
    XHKOEXi.jpg
    wPzihhM.jpg

EDIT:
    The Golden Rule: Treat others like Kanye treats Kanye.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    @Shivahn

The Matasano crypto challenges have their own website now http://cryptopals.com/

*recedes back into the shadows*

Sarksus on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    So I started using free weights Sunday. Intellectually I knew I'd go down in weight to where I was at on machines. I also knew I would be in more pain than I normally am. I was still shocked at how much I had to lower my weight, and how much pain I was in.

• Options
    also "the state to obliterate competing senses of ethnic identity" is hella racist

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I accidentally pasted in your name instead of the URL because I copied your name to make sure I spelled your name right because maybe there are other people on this forum with a similar name but I fixed it

*recedes back into the shadows for real this time*

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    So I started using free weights Sunday. Intellectually I knew I'd go down in weight to where I was at on machines. I also knew I would be in more pain than I normally am. I was still shocked at how much I had to lower my weight, and how much pain I was in.

Yup

That's your body going "oh shit, I need to be responsible here"

• Options
    can you elaborate why it would be racist to want to erase the concept of racial identity

mostly because I smell an interesting argument to be made for that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Eh, this is a pretty cynical position. In America, we are only about 60 years outside of the civil rights movement and things are already noticeably better. However, the attitudes that they were fighting against still live in some people and some of those people had kids.

It's likely something that will take several generations, maybe as long as 200 years to disappear organically. Even then, it won't be completely gone.

Looking at the history of other ethnic conflicts across the world would point to a cynical view being a reasonable forecast, unfortunately.

That said, the Civil War was only two grandmas ago, so maybe we have a chance here. It would be immoral and irresponsible to not make the attempt at any rate.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Sloth, listen to Dresden Files

The guy who reads them is awesome

• Options
    I think the only books I've read in the last two years were written by Bo Burnham, Bill Hicks and Patton Oswalt.

• Options
    MrAnthropy wrote: »

Looking at the history of other ethnic conflicts across the world would point to a cynical view being a reasonable forecast, unfortunately.

That said, the Civil War was only two grandmas ago, so maybe we have a chance here. It would be immoral and irresponsible to not make the attempt at any rate.

Oh, for sure, but I think it's not really an honest summation to think that it's not possible given the progress that has been made in such a short time, at least in America. Other countries definitely have wider gulfs to cross.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Sloth, listen to Dresden Files

The guy who reads them is awesome

That's one of the ones I was thinking of -- once I actually get around to going to the library and activate my card I can then check out audio books online and I'm pretty sure they have it.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Humanity's fight against hatred and racism is actually reflected really well in the narrative of Mass Effect. Every generation gets a little closer to solving it, something happens that sets us back, then we get a little further.

Since I'm pretty sure there aren't any jake lloyd deus ex machinas to fuck us over, I am confident we'll get it eventually.

• Options
    lol someone posted a pic of herself doing an upside down split on a pole she has in her living room on facebook
    l o l

poo
  • Options
    @ludious what kinda stuff are you doing, do you have a routine

poo
  • Options

I am willing to advance the notion that the integration of German-Americans into a white identity is essentially an accidental product of economic forces rather than persuasion or appeal to universal enlightenment values, and can be reversed under similar economic forces, as happened partially to Hispanics

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Humanity's fight against hatred and racism is actually reflected really well in the narrative of Mass Effect. Every generation gets a little closer to solving it, something happens that sets us back, then we get a little further.

Since I'm pretty sure there aren't any jake lloyd deus ex machinas to fuck us over, I am confident we'll get it eventually.

Have hope. Maybe we'll find/create some aliens/non humans for us to all hate on.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    anybody who is of the opinion that ethnic identities can never disintegrate is invited to meditate upon the former Yugoslav republic

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I have a cobbled together routine right now that is pretty much forward shoulder lifts with dumbells, then side..arm lifts..where you keep your hands at your side and raise them up into a sideways curl? I like to call them sideways curlyblots. Then I do the shoulder shrug thing. Then I rest. Then I do the behind the head shoulder raise thing with one dumbbell, then some of those starting at your side and raising your arms into a curl twisty bit.

Then I get on the bench and I do bench presses...with just the bar..because god damnit.

Doing 10x3's with everything because my stabilizers are way too weak to attempt 5x5s.

Ludious on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The guy playing Goliath in the new 50 million dollar movie is going to be taller than Goliath is described as being in the Bible. The guy playing Goliath is seven foot four while Goliath as described in the Bible is about six foot nine. This bothers me for absolutely no reason.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Stares at chat, begs Chelle to use her account then laughed at.

• Options
    anybody who is of the opinion that ethnic identities can never disintegrate is invited to meditate upon the former Yugoslav republic

ethnic identities in former yugoslavia are what now?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

I am willing to advance the notion that the integration of German-Americans into a white identity is essentially an accidental product of economic forces rather than persuasion or appeal to universal enlightenment values, and can be reversed under similar economic forces, as happened partially to Hispanics
    nonsense

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

I have a cobbled together routine right now that is pretty much forward shoulder lifts with dumbells, then side..arm lifts..where you keep your hands at your side and raise them up into a sideways curl? I like to call them sideways curlyblots. Then I do the shoulder shrug thing. Then I rest. Then I do the behind the head shoulder raise thing with one dumbbell, then some of those starting at your side and raising your arms into a curl twisty bit.

Then I get on the bench and I do bench presses...with just the bar..because god damnit.

Doing 10x3's with everything because my stabilizers are way too weak to attempt 5x5s.

If there are leg exercises you can do inbetween that would help with some of the muscle fatigue in your arms too btw. Not to say you aren't already but I always found it helped to have a couple of things mixed in that gave the muscles I was focusing on a bit of a chance to rest so I could the most out of the exercises I did.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The guy playing Goliath in the new 50 million dollar movie is going to be taller than Goliath is described as being in the Bible. The guy playing Goliath is seven foot four while Goliath as described in the Bible is about six foot nine. This bothers me for absolutely no reason.

How tall is the guy playing David?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
This discussion has been closed.