As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Landmark] is gone and all we have are memories (and screenshots)

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    They were also sending out codes to people who hadn't played in a while to lure them back I think? unless it was just people at random, if it was to lure people back, I feel bad for the people who were still playing up to the wipe..

It basically sounds like "If you actually play the game, you get nothing" but "If you watch other people play, or just don't play yourself, you get swag!"

I've started work on the dragon bones, so far, so good.. but I imagine legs and claws and wings will be a lot more difficult than the ribcage and spinal column. I'm not even going to try to make a skull, just gonna drop a boulder where the head should be, and toss little pieces of ivory around.

It definitely could have been a thing of people not playing in a while. Since I had a lot of issues with low FPS I hadn't logged in for a long ass time. I also think I might have a beta code or two left from my trailblazer purchase. I should look into that.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    They were also sending out codes to people who hadn't played in a while to lure them back I think? unless it was just people at random, if it was to lure people back, I feel bad for the people who were still playing up to the wipe..

WOW that's a massive fuck-you to the people who supported the game all along.

I paid $100 for the privilege of testing their game. And I have played quite a bit, submitted bug reports, given tons of feedback, etc. I've also bought Station Cash multiple times.

WHY don't they just sell the damn thing? It's like they're really enjoying holding it over our heads because they know how badly we want it.

So. Mad.

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    So, I am now equipped all in Dusk gear, with the highest tiered accessories, got the highest rated founders pickaxe, made a sifter, and have a crap ton of materials.

I am scared to start building...It's daunting and I have watched quite a few how-to videos.

I managed to make a huge sphere of water and place it on top of a mountain, then smoothed it out, but I haven't tried ANYTHING extravagant. hehe That sentence is silly.
    Anyway, I'm going to delve into the videos some more until I know a little more about how to make shit.

Also, it's funny to log off in a hole you've just dug and when you log back on, be falling through the void.

Also, also...where are all the chests? Are they just in the caves that you find top side or are there chests in the lower layers?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Also, also...where are all the chests? Are they just in the caves that you find top side or are there chests in the lower layers?

There's both. I've found them at the bottom of deep underground caves, but there's also a chest that spawns fairly regularly in the entrance to the surface cave right by my house. That maaaaaay have been part of my reason for laying my claim right next to it. (If you lay your claim ON a surface cave, the chest won't spawn. But down the street? Daily loot!)

Kylindra on
  • Options
    Not really sure what to make of this. No more blueprint, focus shifting to EQN....have to say, feeling disappointed and a lot less hopeful:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/producers-letter-june-2015.55243/

And this:

http://www.mmo-central.com/2015/06/05/exclusive-interview-with-terry-michaels-senior-producer-for-everquest-next-and-landmark/

"Now that we’re focused on some of the big pieces for EverQuest Next, there will be a little bit longer times between when they’re going to happen. That may be a couple of weeks or it may be six weeks that go by between any major updates to Landmark because we’re focused on the things we have to get done and get right for EverQuest Next. We’ll still do hotfixes as necessary, but we’re not going to make people wait five weeks or three weeks when there are bugs we can get fixed. We’ll still do those as regularly as we possibly can or as often, it will never be regular. "

Doesn't really sound good, does it?

Although this at least gives me pause:

" So I can’t really tell you a year from now how many of those things are going to be in the game because right now one of the things we’re focused on is the combat for EverQuest Next."

If that means Landmark combat might get better soon, yay. If they mean EQN combat is totally different and Landmark combat is done.......ick.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Not really sure what to make of this. No more blueprint, focus shifting to EQN....have to say, feeling disappointed and a lot less hopeful:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/producers-letter-june-2015.55243/

And this:

http://www.mmo-central.com/2015/06/05/exclusive-interview-with-terry-michaels-senior-producer-for-everquest-next-and-landmark/

"Now that we’re focused on some of the big pieces for EverQuest Next, there will be a little bit longer times between when they’re going to happen. That may be a couple of weeks or it may be six weeks that go by between any major updates to Landmark because we’re focused on the things we have to get done and get right for EverQuest Next. We’ll still do hotfixes as necessary, but we’re not going to make people wait five weeks or three weeks when there are bugs we can get fixed. We’ll still do those as regularly as we possibly can or as often, it will never be regular. "

Doesn't really sound good, does it?

Although this at least gives me pause:

" So I can’t really tell you a year from now how many of those things are going to be in the game because right now one of the things we’re focused on is the combat for EverQuest Next."

If that means Landmark combat might get better soon, yay. If they mean EQN combat is totally different and Landmark combat is done.......ick.

Dunno most of what I read seems to be pretty on point. Overall resources are shifting to EQN which means of course development updates for Landmark will slow down.

I enjoy Landmark a lot and it still has a ways to go, but I'm not gonna lie I enjoy Landmark mostly because it makes me excited for what we'll see in EQN. Up until this point I didn't even think they still were working on EQN so this news is pretty awesome for me.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I need to figure out how to make (large) Skeletal Legs, Claws, Shoulder Blades, and Wings, the rest of the chained dragon skeleton is complete (well, the skull is shards of ivory beneath a large boulder...)

I'd say "Come visit my claim to see!" but I seal the entrance to the underground section before logging out.

• Options
    my gawd the amount of obsidian i need to paint my floors!

• Options
    my gawd the amount of obsidian i need to paint my floors!

Find one of the dessert biome islands, and head down to the 4th layer.. and only refine raw obsidian in the Replicator. (it's worth whatever resources you need to build it!)

I'm at over 200,000 Obsidian in my build.. luckily, that's only like 70-80k I actually had to dig up, but I'm going to need a few more obsidian expeditions before I'm done.

• Options
    Sorry for the double post, but here, have a picture!
    fix4mqhizv4y.jpg

Slowly but surely getting things done!

• Options
    what is a replicator and how do you get it?

• Options
    what is a replicator and how do you get it?

To my surprise the wiki is updated for this one! http://landmark.wikia.com/wiki/Replicator

Also, some minor hotfix notes: https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/hotfix-notes-3-june-2015.55218/

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    fix4mqhizv4y.jpg

That screenshot makes me want to play EQ really bad for some reason.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Stragint wrote: »
    fix4mqhizv4y.jpg

That screenshot makes me want to play EQ really bad for some reason.

Makes me think I'm doing something right!

I have no idea how I'll do the wings.

I've never touched an EQ game before.

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    Made the replicator...that thing would have come in handy earlier.

Question about claims: if I delete all my claims do I get all my materials back?

Is there a way to move claims?

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Yes, if you delete a claim you get everything back. And you can also copy your entire claim, delete it, go somewhere else, then paste the copy. Boom, your claim moved.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Yes, if you delete a claim you get everything back. And you can also copy your entire claim, delete it, go somewhere else, then paste the copy. Boom, your claim moved.

oooh, brilliant!

bye bye mountain fortress/mansion whatever the hell you were

edit: also, emitters are just the best things ever

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edit: also, emitters are just the best things ever

My steamy hot spring, pillar of fire/lava, and undulating pool of evil inky blackness all agree with you.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Tell me more about your pool of evil inky blackness, sir?

• Options
    Interesting note on respawn issues and the temporary fix, which is to restart the servers three times a week a specific schedule:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/a-note-on-respawn-issues-in-landmark.55352/

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/server-restarts-mondays-thursdays-and-saturdays-at-5am-pacific.55359/

So I guess the best time to go do things is right after a reset? Or I guess, right before, if you've figured out the location of the hard-to-get-to areas that everything is concentrated in by the end of the cycle.

• Options
    Question re: base extension claims bought for moneys...will these carry over to the live game?

Or is that an unknown factor at this point?

I would hate to spend $25, in a beta no less, and then not have any of that stuff carry over to the live version.

• Options
    Well I bought them...having too much fun so fuck it.

Also, waterfall emitters are...they are so....I just can't stop placing them.

• Options
    Minor patch:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-24-june-2015.55375/

Only really interesting part of this is the option to paste interior air but not exterior. That is going to be SOOOOO nice for placing building-sized templates into new terrain (like when you move your claim!).
    Question re: base extension claims bought for moneys...will these carry over to the live game?

Or is that an unknown factor at this point?

I would hate to spend $25, in a beta no less, and then not have any of that stuff carry over to the live version.

Everything you buy for real money you will never lose, not even if they do another character data wipe, which at this point they've said is very unlikely. There is not one planned. The wipe for open beta is scheduled to be a CLAIM wipe, not a character wipe.

The only way you can lose something you bought is by deleting your character yourself. Don't do that.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Man, after server restarts my game completely shit the bed.

At first it was the launcher fail error, fixed that, now it just has a black screen at the login screen.

edit: looks like it's happening for a lot of folks. No estimate on when it will be fixed apparently.

edit edit: finally got in, after 10 minutes waiting for the play button to show up and another 20 minutes at 50% loading...then half my plot was gone, and after about 45 minutes, it came back, the doors/chests still didn't work and I "fell" to my death and I was unable to port to the graveyard....but hey, at least I was able to log in.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    Haven't posted Landmark news in awhile (not actively playing, just logging in every day to extend my claim time (I'm up to 43 days!) and loot the two treasure chests next to my house). But a few interesting things have happened:

John Smedley Situation
    https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/changes-at-daybreak-game-company.55522/

"Daybreak Games confirms that John Smedley will be taking some time off from the company for the near-term and transitioning to a different role to be determined. Upon finalization of his plans, further communication will be provided."

I suspect this has something to do with this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/harassed-dev-tells-lizard-squad-hacker-im-coming-f/1100-6428738/
    http://kotaku.com/daybreak-games-hit-by-ddos-after-ceo-threatens-lizard-s-1717014668

From the second article:
    "For the past couple of days, the studio Daybreak (formerly called SOE) has been getting hit by Distributed Denial of Service attacks that have rendered games like PlanetSide unplayable. They’re in the clear now, they say, but it was a rough past few hours.

As is typical in the murky world of internet sabotage, it’s unclear exactly who’s responsible for these attacks, but this outage followed some high-profile comments by Daybreak CEO John Smedley about Julius Kivimaki, a Finnish teenager who was recently convicted on various charges of computer fraud. Smedley threatened to sue Kivimaki and his parents—”I’m coming for you Julius,” he wrote after news of Kivimaki’s conviction came out."

Recent Updates and Hotfixes
    https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/hotfix-notes-1-july-2015.55427/
    https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/new-materials-07-02-2015.55439/
    https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/hotfix-notes-23-july-2015.55525/

Mostly just bug fixes and adding new materials. More colors of cloth and cloth is prettier now, which I appreciate because cloth was pretty bland before. Also some very shiny colorful metals. They also upped the voxel storage limit for templates.

Island Property Available
    Lastly: I noticed today that my neighbor moved out. I'm in a beautiful coastal area and there's an island across from me that's practically deserted now. If any of you have been looking for your own private island to build on, come be my new neighbor! I'm on Serenity - Forgotten Hills.

Map showing vacancy

• Options
    Minor hotfix: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/hotfix-notes-6-august-2015.55577/

Basically they're just adding a ton of materials for the Halas competition. The Takish competition just ended, they showed them off on the stream the other day.

So.......I know "helping to build EQ Next" was one of the things Landmark was supposed to do. But I'm starting to feel like it's the ONLY thing it's supposed to do. The part where we could also make our own games inside it seems to have evaporated.

The only people who still play seem to be the people donating their free labor to make art assets for EQN. A task they paid money to be able to do. I guess if you're really into EQ and you want to brag that some bridge or whatever was one you made, that's cool I guess. But like....I'm starting to get a weird feeling from this. On the stream the other day showing the competition winners, they seemed more excited about this giant empty platform than a lot of the more creative builds. Like the platform was exciting because it's easy for them to plunk it into EQN. "We could put a lot of different stuff on that!" Well, that's....nice? I guess?

I'm just not that interested in EQN at this point. The promise of Landmark beings its own game where we could use their tools to do our own thing was what got me interested. They've been promising us AI tools for a long time but they suddenly stopped talking about them. Did they give up on Landmark? Should we too?

It's still a very pretty world with really amazing building tools. And they keep adding more amazing building tools, and I still love wandering around looking at what other people have built. It's like wandering in a natural landscape full of art. But I'm still waiting for them to get back to the part where it's also supposed to be a GAME.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Okay, I wasn't expecting to post here again for awhile, but this deserves it:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/build-mode-the-mega-palette-camera-time-controls.55761/

Basically they are adding a Build Mode. This isn't creative mode where everything is free a la Minecraft, just a separate hotbar and keybindings to make the UI more usable.

Why is this worth mentioning? Because they basically took my exact suggestion from months ago:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-problem-with-keybindings-isnt-just-about-keybindings-its-time-for-build-mode.49446/

I don't know if they got this idea from me, from lots of people, or were already thinking it themselves. But I know that they are doing the exact thing I was hoping they would do and I feel like my feedback made a difference.

Feels good.

Kylindra on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I heard through some back channels that EQN has more or less been put on production hold due to money issues, which is really disappointing. Not sure what that means for Landmark, but I was really hoping to make EQN my mmo swan song, just to go full circle.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    I heard through some back channels that EQN has more or less been put on production hold due to money issues, which is really disappointing. Not sure what that means for Landmark, but I was really hoping to make EQN my mmo swan song, just to go full circle.

Agreed, that's rough to hear.

• Options
    They certainly haven't come out with any new patches in awhile except for adding materials. There's still a small team there, as evidenced by occasional livestreams, but it seems that right now Landmark consists of a handful of developers and like maybe 100 players who are super-creative types who like donating their labor to the creation of EQN. What little updates there have been to Landmark have been EQN-focused: they have a contest to get players to make a certain type of building (Takish, Halas, etc) and then there's a small patch to add materials and props specific to that. Then the contest consists of a small group of elite players who make stuff that will go into EQN.

So it's not completely dead, but definitely in a coma. Which is a shame, because the building part of the game is stellar. I got the urge the other day to build a library. By the end of the day, I had this: http://imgur.com/a/RkVuq . And I'm not even good at it!

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I did a lot of that voxel magic thing when this was still in early development. It was fun to make some really shady stuff to voxels and bend them to my will.

I hope that they can get a proper game out of this, the team deserves it.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Today is a sad day.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I bought into landmark without playing much, figuring I'd still be satisfied by the end when Next came out. Whoops.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    They say they're still going to focus on launching Landmark. I mean, I'm still happy with a world builder that uses EverQuest assets and allows me to be all Minecrafty with it. There's a fair bit they could do with just that IP.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Well.... that's that.

26904.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Actually, this is great news for Landmark fans!

I was getting REALLY worried that they were only going to develop Landmark as a sidenote to EQN, when Landmark has far more potential. And now that can never happen! No guarantees that they will ever fully realize the promise of player-created content in Landmark, of course, but I'm still pretty excited about this.

Especially in light of this: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/landmark-launch-frequently-asked-questions.56140/

And these:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/introducing-build-mode.56085/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/lets-go-on-an-adventure-together.56109/
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/landscapes-and-claim-sites-and-caverns-oh-my.56105/

They're releasing the game! And they're adding actual content. And improving on the already stellar building tools! This train might actually be going somewhere.

Now all they need to do is give players the ability to add NPCs and we are GO for something awesome! (Yes, that's a big ask, but they did promise it at one point....)

This is probably the most hopeful I've been for this game in the last year! (Which isn't saying much but still earns a few exclamation points!) :)

Edit: Forgot this upcoming feature as well, making the time of day an option you can set on your claim + free camera mode:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/claim-time-and-cameras.56063/

Kylindra on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Well color me incredibly sad. Though I knew this day was coming as soon as SOE cut them loose.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    HOLY FREAKING SHIT YOU GUYS IT'S HAPPENING:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/build-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick-combat-is-coming.56205/

"In the world of Landmark, you can build anything you can imagine, and share your stories with your friends. But what if you want to tell tales of adventure, combat, and dungeon crawling? As part of the coming update, storytelling just got more exciting as we give you the ability to add characters to your claim site, both friends and foes!

You'll start with a basic selection of characters and can collect more as you adventure! They can be found in your Props list under "Characters", and are placed just like a prop. Their icons indicate the type of creature, and its weapon and damage types."

We're getting GM tools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I've been waiting for! This was the whole point all along! Not just to build amazing buildings, but to PUT MONSTERS IN THEM.

AhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhI'msoexcitedahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Looks like we get to choose from different monsters (or friendly npcs), give them spawn location, respawn timers, set up pathing........holy crap. They'll even give out treasure!

Get out your GM hats guys! Also your player hats because you can play stuff that other people make! Also.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

They still haven't announced when this mega-patch is hitting but I'm guessing Very Very Soon!!!

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Well, they probably want to do something with all the EQN assets that won't be getting used.