As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prime 2014 Must See Panels

adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy WifeKalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
Each year I always seem to miss that one amazing panel that everyone is talking about after PAX. I'm curious what your must see panels are this year?

For us each year we always make sure to hit the Giant Bomb live show.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I've heard amazing things about of dice and men and kicked myself for missing it in 2011. I'll be going to that screening for sure.

• Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    This is obvious, but the acquisitions incorporated panel

RidleyDragon on
    PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    SmashX5000SmashX5000 The Guy Who Draws Things WashingtonRegistered User regular
    For me this year, it's gonna be the Game Grumps panel. Each year I usually go to the Mega 64 panel and the Make-a-Strip panel, but this year there's no way I could go to both, so I might end up skipping both and just spending more time in the Expo Hall.

YouTube | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Formspring | Smash Time - My Webcomic
    PAX Prime Preparations - [X] - Fri-Sun Pass [X] - Panel Schedule [X] - Hype [X]
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Was poking around the schedule while I ate lunch and found a panel called breaking down the internet. Basically an hour of some of our fav people making fun of stuff on the internet. I think this just make it on my list of must see panels this year. There are two different panels - PG and not so PG rated.

http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/404ing-it-breaking-down-the-internet

adias.angel on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    did you mean to link a panel from east?

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    did you mean to link a panel from east?

*face palm* No. I blame it on lack of sleep from GenCon. ;) Fixed now.

• Options
    BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    Giant Bomb live is a must. They are going out with their premium subscribers after the panel. I thought about going but my friends wouldn't sub with me just to go to a party. :(

• Options
    BadNews65 wrote: »
    Giant Bomb live is a must. They are going out with their premium subscribers after the panel. I thought about going but my friends wouldn't sub with me just to go to a party. :(

We only have one account for our house so my husband almost didn't sign up because we both couldn't go. At least one of us is getting to go. Guess I will be hitting a different after party. ;)

• Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    Mindcrack. In just this last year, those guys have shown me the joy of Minecraft; given me purpose beyond work, drinking, and sports. I owe them. Speaking of sports, I've got to show up at the Sportsball panel... I've been walking the nerd/sports bridge for years. Rounding out my top 3 is Video game music trivia; actually participated in that one last year (didn't win, though; not enough old school stuff.)

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    piriyuupiriyuu Registered User regular
    I've heard amazing things about of dice and men and kicked myself for missing it in 2011. I'll be going to that screening for sure.

Seconding this. We happened across it the year it was a live performance, and I was wiping away tears by the end of it. Highly recommended.

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    I personally love Improv Initiative. I've grabbed front row seats the past three performances they've done (Prime 2012, East 2013, Prime 2013) and it's always been the highlight of my day. They've extended it to two hours now too, so I'm pretty sure my Saturday night is going to be made. The only downside is that it's over Acq Inc, Giant Bomb, and Game Grumps.

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Lazorz wrote: »
    I personally love Improv Initiative. I've grabbed front row seats the past three performances they've done (Prime 2012, East 2013, Prime 2013) and it's always been the highlight of my day. They've extended it to two hours now too, so I'm pretty sure my Saturday night is going to be made. The only downside is that it's over Acq Inc, Giant Bomb, and Game Grumps.

I went to this panel by myself in 2012. I almost died laughing. I've never managed to make it to Acq Inc before since in the past it was back to back with the Wil Wheaton awesome hour and not possible to get into both. Do you have to follow Acq Inc online to have a good time at this panel?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Lazorz wrote: »

I went to this panel by myself in 2012. I almost died laughing. I've never managed to make it to Acq Inc before since in the past it was back to back with the Wil Wheaton awesome hour and not possible to get into both. Do you have to follow Acq Inc online to have a good time at this panel?

I started watching the YouTube postings last year. I started at Prime 2012 maybe? Some of the older references I didn't get, and I had no clue where they were in their quest, but that didn't stop it from looking and sounding AWESOME. I've since started working my way through their back catologue of podcasts, and getting myself set up for this year's panels so I can be more informed.

TL;DR
    There's some references you might not get, but it will still be epic as shit.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Friday
    2:30p - Hironobu Sakaguchi Reflection (Final Fantasy VI, or Final Fantasy III US, was my favorite game ever before college, so I will go see anyone that was even alive and working at Squaresoft at the time that game was made)
    7:00p - PRESS START III: TURBO EDITION (not a PAX panel, but a gallery show at LTD Art Gallery, very cool and I highly recommend checking them out during PAX. 7:00pm is just the opening time, the exhibit should be up for around a month or so I believe)

Saturday
    10:30a - Making Firewatch (Campo Santo guys, formerly of Idle Thumbs)
    5:30p - Maestros of Video Games (some AMAZING composers for video game companies, definitely a "must see" in my book)

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    One persons must see could be another persons bleh wtf did you recommend THAT for? Hard to know what you will like. Best to youtube previous panels and read the descriptions if possible.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »
    One persons must see could be another persons bleh wtf did you recommend THAT for? Hard to know what you will like. Best to youtube previous panels and read the descriptions if possible.

Not only has this helped trying to figure out what panels we may want to see this year, but it also eases some of the pain that comes from missing one panel over another event.

gorgeousplanet on
  • Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    I'm definitely aiming for the Sakaguchi and the Grim Fandango panels. Nostalgia for the win.

I just hope there won't be a massive line for the Sakaguchi autograph session at the Paramount by the time I hoof it back from Benaroya =/

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    giantrygiantry Registered User regular
    So for the gearbox panel how early do you guys think I would have to get there to make sure Im able to get a seat?

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »

I agree. if I were to pick panels it would be game show night and acquisitions and maybe the omegathon finals..but none are required by any stretch. must see is subjective.

• Options
    giantry wrote: »
    So for the gearbox panel how early do you guys think I would have to get there to make sure Im able to get a seat?

Last year it filled pretty quickly. Follow the paxlines twitter account for sure.

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Really excited about the next Gears, so Rod Fergusson's Fireside Chat is probably the one for me this year: http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/rod-fergusson-fireside-chat

"Perception is reality." -unknown