As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Women, basketball, hos and radio hosts

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm loving how saying someone is stupid is now a worthy argument.

No one has the right to fire him from his job over this.
    "Racist asshole" is not a protected class.

Elendil on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007

His employers do. In fact, they just did.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    scottman wrote: »
    celery77 wrote: »
    TxdoHawk wrote: »
    With the right laws, the music industry could be regulated to the point where any musician that created material deemed racist by enough people could be blacklisted and barred from ever having CD's produced by labels.
    No but see -- that would be barring free speech. Placing public pressure on a commercial institution to remove a controversial figure is not barring free speech, i...........radio personalities are paid via advertising and their broadcasters, so you target their advertisers and their broadcaster.

It's like -- hey, new page, gotta say it again -- NO ONE IS ADVOCATING A LAW AGAINST WHAT HE SAID. Man ... jeez ... this is just getting dumber by the page.

If we really wish to get dumb with it[/] here is some help on the free speech thing:

Congress shall make no law respectin' an establishment uh religion, o' prohibitin' de free 'esercise dereof; o' abridgin' de freedom uh speech, o' uh de press; o' de right uh de sucka's peaceably t'assemble, and t'petishun de Guv'ment fo' some redress uh grievances.

--- just thought the Jive translation would be of use.

That's Imus class, right there.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

If your livelihood depends on your popularity and you do something to mess that up it kind of makes sense that you would lose your job.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sweet, you don't even know him, but his comments over the Intarnets suddenly paint him as a racist!

He should not lose his job over a racist comment. That is patently violating Freedom of Speech.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Perhaps ya' should 'espand yo' mind and use some oda' fo'm uh insults besides dojigger callin' :D? Afta' all ain't dat whut dis about -- "he called me some nappy haided ho! Preach it loud, bruddah!! Right on!, ah' wants' mah' mommy" :lol:
    'cism

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Radio is a business. If the sponsors don't wish to buy airtime during your morning show, you get a new show. If you want to blame someone, blame the sponsors for pulling out; but don't claim they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »
    With the right laws, the music industry could be regulated to the point where any musician that created material deemed racist by enough people could be blacklisted and barred from ever having CD's produced by labels.
    No but see -- that would be barring free speech. Placing public pressure on a commercial institution to remove a controversial figure is not barring free speech, its placing public pressure on a commercial institution to achieve what you want. That is what not buying bad rap music is, and advocating that others not buy it as well. In the case of a radio figure, you advocate for his removal and threaten a boycott of his advertisers. When the advertisers pull out, the broadcaster must decide if they want to continue airing a radio figure who can't get air play. That's what happened here, public pressure on a commercial institution. Rappers are paid via record sales, so you attack the record sales, radio personalities are paid via advertising and their broadcasters, so you target their advertisers and their broadcaster.

It's like -- hey, new page, gotta say it again -- NO ONE IS ADVOCATING A LAW AGAINST WHAT HE SAID. Man ... jeez ... this is just getting dumber by the page.

For the most part we rely on the the system to be self-regulating. It works wonders. Most people don't even realize when it happens sometimes. Like cable channels aren't governed by the FCC but 99.9% of the time the channels pretty much follow the same rules. You know why? It's not worth the trouble to not go along.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sweet, you don't even know him, but his comments over the Intarnets suddenly paint him as a racist!

He should not lose his job over a racist comment. That is patently violating Freedom of Speech.
    Okay maybe he's not a racist, but he definitely says racist things, which is definitely something that racists do. Something about walking like bigoted ducks goes here.

Also I refuse to believe you're even trying with that second line there, and no I'm not really going to take the time to explain freedom of speech or the right to work to you. google that shit up yourself, cap'n.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Perhaps ya' should 'espand yo' mind and use some oda' fo'm uh insults besides dojigger callin' :D? Afta' all ain't dat whut dis about -- "he called me some nappy haided ho! Preach it loud, bruddah!! Right on!, ah' wants' mah' mommy" :lol:

We really don't take kindly to actual racism in this forum.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    Fuck the basketball, baseball, hockey, football, soccer, and jai alai players. When Imus insults somebody IMPORTANT, let me know.

Try this. Can't guarantee who you may or may not think is "important," but there are some non-athletes in there.

Er, that was kind of my point. Maya Angelou was the poet I referred to earlier, and Gwen Ifill was the writer. What was the public outcry over insulting either of those women? If you guessed "none", you're absolutely right! Tell the man what he's won, Rod Roddy!

Seriously, though. Girls whose good fundamentals make up for an inability to dunk do little to advance our society. I'm not familiar with Gwen Ifill's work and I think Maya Angelou's poems border on silly, but I'm sure that both women have more to offer the world than ladies who can spin an orange ball on their fingers.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Radio is a business. If the sponsors don't wish to buy airtime during your morning show, you get a new show. If you want to blame someone, blame the sponsors for pulling out; but don't claim they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

Well I think the last level of blame would fall on the public since ultimately their opinion are what makes something acceptable or not.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Well I think the last level of blame would fall on the public since ultimately their opinion are what makes something acceptable or not.
    Yes, "blame" the public for not tolerating racist remarks on their airwaves.

• Options
    scottmanscottman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

We really don't take kindly to actual racism in this forum.

We'll I would sincerily appologize to the remarks I have made if they _truly offended anyone_ my remarks were not intended to hurt they were intended to share a different perspective toward the issue at hand. If I am labeled as a racist for that, so be it, I know it to be untrue. I do see some similitude in the argument and the issue however. I will try not to preach in a different aspect of interpretation next time.

scottman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Okay maybe he's not a racist, but he definitely says racist things, which is definitely something that racists do. Something about walking like bigoted ducks goes here.

Also I refuse to believe you're even trying with that second line there, and no I'm not really going to take the time to explain freedom of speech or the right to work to you. google that shit up yourself, cap'n.

I'd like to see how trying to egg you on is being a racist. Anyone can say anything without being labelled as some derogatory term or another.

Scott has never in his life been a racist, just because he pokes fun at racism and the fact that people are so reactionary towards it does not suddenly make him one.

In fact, until now, absolutely no one - black, asian, mexican, white, purple, orange, green - has called him ar acist until you suddenly pulled it out of your ass like a first-grader learning a new word. You throw around "he's a racist!" like a curveball to try and destroy someone's argument. It doesn't work.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'd like to see how trying to egg you on is being a racist. Anyone can say anything without being labelled as some derogatory term or another.

Scott has never in his life been a racist, just because he pokes fun at racism and the fact that people are so reactionary towards it does not suddenly make him one.

In fact, until now, absolutely no one - black, asian, mexican, white, purple, orange, green - has called him ar acist until you suddenly pulled it out of your ass like a first-grader learning a new word. You throw around "he's a racist!" like a curveball to try and destroy someone's argument. It doesn't work.

Perhaps he should take his Jive talk to some black guys and see what they think. Or does he just do it on the internet for a good chuckle?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    He's talked in jive with a few of his black friends before, and they didn't give a shit.

Scott's known throughout our school as a fun-loving guy who can't really be taken serious. No one does, and that's what makes the sudden anger-filled reaction towards him on this forum all the more hilarious.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    @ Zephyr_Fate -- you're a moron and your friend's a moron, and everyone besides you two and your moronic econ teacher seem to know it. I'm not going to bother with you any more, but yes, actually, saying racist things makes you a racist, and no, saying racist things is not an argument, and no, you have not presented a coherent or cohesive argument whatsoever in any of your time here, because you are a moron who hangs out with moronic people. I am not going to bother responding to you any more, because as I've said, you're a moron who is not interested in reasonable discussion.

Go read a book, I personally recommend The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

• Options
    edited April 2007
    @ Zephyr_Fate -- you're a moron and your friend's a moron, and everyone besides you two and your moronic econ teacher seem to know it. I'm not going to bother with you any more, but yes, actually, saying racist things makes you a racist, and no, saying racist things is not an argument, and no, you have not presented a coherent or cohesive argument whatsoever in any of your time here, because you are a moron who hangs out with moronic people. I am not going to bother responding to you any more, because as I've said, you're a moron who is not interested in reasonable discussion.

Actually, by everyone you mean just you and a few others on this forum. Everyone at our school, yes, I do mean everyone, doesn't care what we say or do. We haven't offended anyone yet.

Poking fun at racism doesn't make you a racist. You're a moron who jumps the shark about any fucking thing that anyone says, pointing out racism that doesn't exist so you can try to prove a point.

I'd recommend a book, but there isn't one on being a gigantic, presumptuous asshole.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    No Zephyr, I really mean everyone knows you're a moron.

Also, there's lots of books about being a gigantic, presumptuous asshole, but you wouldn't know because you're apparently not well read. Because you're a moron.

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Words never said about someone who wasn't a dipshit: "If you just knew him."

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I <3 your vocabulary. And that the only way to achieve status of high-mindedness in your opinion as it seems is to name call (the same action u are debating against..."nappy----o" remember?). It really is beautiful to see how my comments can be taking so out of proportion.

... But as I was saying, maybe we should all call everyone names and just lower or selved to the usage that Mr. I-man did.

scottman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    For the record I haven't called anyone a cracker or a honky in this thread.

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »

I won't ever presume you are a racist if you said something that could be likened to such a title.

I don't presume shit about people over the Internet, I don't know them nor should I pretend to. Neither should celery, IronMan, or yourself.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Seriously, though. Girls whose good fundamentals make up for an inability to dunk do little to advance our society. I'm not familiar with Gwen Ifill's work and I think Maya Angelou's poems border on silly, but I'm sure that both women have more to offer the world than ladies who can spin an orange ball on their fingers.

Personally, I don't think "what you have to offer the world" should be taken into account when determining whether having some old racist asshat say racist shit about you on the airwaves is acceptable or not.

Perhaps it is a good question why the media has covered this more extensively than they have his past slip-ups. Doesn't really make this particular instance any more or less offensive, though. Doesn't make me any less happy to see him off the air.

If I had to guess I'd say the reason this one finally "stuck" is probably a mixture of random luck, changing social values of society as a whole, and the buildup of other stupid shit and that "straw that broke the camel's back" effect.

It's not because they're athletes...because he's said shit about athletes before and still not been fired.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So Zephyr -- you're just playing a moron for rhetorical purposes?

• Options
    edited April 2007
    For the record I haven't called anyone a cracker or a honky in this thread.

You have however used the terms, moron, racist and others to try to bulster your argument, which may not be racist in it self but it is not very dignified or very successful in advancing your possition.

-- oh and the usage "for the record" is quite redundant, after all a forum is a record is it not? and it goes without saying.

scottman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Personally, I don't think "what you have to offer the world" should be taken into account when determining whether having some old racist asshat say racist shit about you on the airwaves is acceptable or not.

Perhaps it is a good question why the media has covered this more extensively than they have his past slip-ups. Doesn't really make this particular instance any more or less offensive, though. Doesn't make me any less happy to see him off the air.

If I had to guess I'd say the reason this one finally "stuck" is probably a mixture of random luck, changing social values of society as a whole, and the buildup of other stupid shit and that "straw that broke the camel's back" effect.

It's not because they're athletes...because he's said shit about athletes before and still not been fired.

These things have a tendency to snowball. The comment wasn't that awful compared to half the other shit he's said over the years. This one just caught people's attention for some reason. Why knows why. Maybe someone in the media was listening that day. Maybe it's because the players started complaining. In any case next thing you know the entire media is up in a roar about it.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    -- oh and the usage "for the record" is quite redundant, after all a forum is a record is it not? and it goes without saying.

BWOOP BWOOP PEDANT ALERT PEDANT ALERT BWOOP BWOOP

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »

I won't ever presume you are a racist if you said something that could be likened to such a title.

I don't presume shit about people over the Internet, I don't know them nor should I pretend to. Neither should celery, IronMan, or yourself.

We're not presuming, we're concluding. We base our conclusions on your words, because over the internet, it's all that what we have.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Other factors include a) the young age of the girls and b) their total and utter innocence - have they even said a word to the media before this moment? There's nothing for Imus to claim he's taking issue with, like a poet's words or such; it's just a simple, unprovoked hateful burst.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Other factors include a) the young age of the girls and b) their total and utter innocence - have they even said a word to the media before this moment? There's nothing for Imus to claim he's taking issue with, like a poet's words or such; it's just a simple, unprovoked hateful burst.

I wouldn't have called it "hateful." More just misguided and ignorant. Bit narrowminded. But not hateful.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Look, defending Imus is your opinion, and I think you're completely wrong in your reasoning, and probably a little willfully ignorant, but hey that's what opinions are all about.

Defending Imus and capping your position with a little jive talk is just idiotic. I know you're still in High School, but maybe I could beg your indulgence as to how someone might infer from the two statements in conjunction that you really are a racist?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Look, defending Imus is your opinion, and I think you're completely wrong in your reasoning, and probably a little willfully ignorant, but hey that's what opinions are all about.

Defending Imus and capping your position with a little jive talk is just idiotic. I know you're still in High School, but maybe I could beg your indulgence as to how someone might infer from the two statements in conjunction that you really are a racist?

I could indeed see how that could arise and I thank you for your ability to form meaningful retort. I just believe that we as a society should be able to speek in dialects foreign to the norm as an attempted at humor, with openness and a loving heart towards the people it is birthed from.

scottman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh yeah, as they say around here:

For the record I do not support Mr. Imus; I do support the expansion of liberties.

scottman on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    All right, show of hands... who was even familiar with Don Imus before this scandal? I'd like to know.

(For the record, I couldn't tell Imus from the crazy scientist in Back to the Future before Rutgers-gate)

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I could indeed see how that could arise and I thank you for your ability to form meaningful retort. I just believe that we as a society should be able to speek in dialects foreign to the norm as an attempted at humor, with openness and a loving heart towards the people it is birthed from.

I don't know how you thought spewing a stereotypical "translation" of "jive" would be funny or offer an "alternative"?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Man, what? They have every right! He is speaking for his employer and by extension, his sponsors. If they don't like what he says while he is on the air of course they can fire him.

scott, you remain an idiot if you can't tell the difference between using jive talk while joking around with your buddies and using it to "get dumb with it" and "put it in a way you can understand". Moron!

edit:
    oh wait... this is the caucasian celebration club guy! Brilliant!

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    All right, show of hands... who was even familiar with Don Imus before this scandal? I'd like to know.

(For the record, I couldn't tell Imus from the crazy scientist in Back to the Future before Rutgers-gate)

I was never a listener, but I knew of the guy and that he had a history of stupid shit like this. I always thought he was just a low-rent and slightly older Howard Stern...only with more racism.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I was never a listener, but I knew of the guy and that he had a history of stupid shit like this. I always thought he was just a low-rent and slightly older Howard Stern...only with more racism.

Same here. I've first heard of him on sports boards, when he was making his comments about the Knicks.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg