As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain] THREADS THAT KILL. (OUT NOW)

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I don't disliked games that have stuff like "shaman with supernatural powers", because then I'd dislike most games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Well if you dislike most games then maybe you'd find the time to finally start working on your degree

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know you don't have to be obtuse to defend something you enjoy but whatever. Don't have interest in this argument anyway.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I remember hearing the line, "Vulcan Raven, giant and shaman" for the first time and whispering "awesome"

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    However, I will say i did really have a problem with Paz and how she was treated.

And i think when you use rape as a narrative tool it has to be done respectful or else its just exploitation.

And if the full game is like that i could see myself being fairly disgusted by it.

GZ spoilers
    I thought that whole thing was really well done. The way Skullface 'rewards' Chico by forcing him to rape Paz was holy shit awful. The game didn't present it as anything other than a terrible event tho.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Ground Zeroes was a horrible and disturbing look at Guantanamo Bay and places like it. It's meant to be horrifying and upsetting, and also show that Skullface is an irredeemable monster.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Ground Zeroes was a horrible and disturbing look at Guantanamo Bay and places like it. It's meant to be horrifying and upsetting, and also show that Skullface is an irredeemable monster.

GZ spoilers:

That's the issue a lot of people have, using rape of the sole female character just to provide characterization to one male character and motivation for another, and then killing of that female character (with a vagina bomb of all things) and thus preventing any real serious treatment of what happened to the character.

That makes it a very poor handling in my eyes.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    I hate Quiets design, but I'd rather find out what the "real, serious reason" is that Kojima has been spouting all this time than further baseless speculation at this point.

Honestly I'd rather not because its probably going to be dumb as hell.

i can't be the only person that thinks she is dressed like that because she needs her skin to absorb sunlight to allow her to do her super powers, right? some sort of plant/hybrid person.

belaraphon.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    belaraphon wrote: »
    I hate Quiets design, but I'd rather find out what the "real, serious reason" is that Kojima has been spouting all this time than further baseless speculation at this point.

Honestly I'd rather not because its probably going to be dumb as hell.

i can't be the only person that thinks she is dressed like that because she needs her skin to absorb sunlight to allow her to do her super powers, right? some sort of plant/hybrid person.

Might explain why she can't even be bothered to get a properly sized top.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    GZ spoilers
    'sole' female character out of the cast of four people the plan isn't to rescue her, it's to find out what she disclosed about Mother Base and ZEKE and then kill her. Her death isn't some big motivating force to Big Boss, it's not meant to evoke sympathy or anything along the lines of the usual vidya tropes. She was a spy turned weapon/tool, like just about every other MGS character male or female.

Chico suffers every bit as badly as Paz. Is that treatment more or less problematic?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Ground Zeroes courtesy spoilers
    I was pretty irked by the treatment of Paz in Ground Zeroes. And then I read the CIA torture report released last fall and I stopped being irked by that and started being enraged by the knowledge that people under the employment of and at the behest of my country's government did that and worse to actual real people for decades.

Each MGS story, for all its fantastical elements, has at least one Drum of Serious Social Relevance that Kojima wants to beat. Nuclear warfare, nature vs nurture, countries abandoning their soldiers, the military industrial complex and war profiteering, Mutually Assured Destruction, etc. Ground Zeroes' drum is torture and atrocity and how complicit America has been and sadly continues to be while the public inexplicably condones it.

In the end, Ground Zeroes' treatment of Paz is horrible, artless, repugnant and, saddest of all, made completely relevant and validated by Historically-Accurate Real Atrocities Committed By Actual American Citizens.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I think Kojima made metal gear as a love letter to American spy thriller culture, and then that slowly morphed into a hate letter

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Please, by all means, keep arguing about this and spoiling things. When I mentioned I didn't play PW yet and want to play GZ, what I meant to say was "start talking about things I would learn on my own through playing said games."

Fawst on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Sorry for that, put my post inside of spoilers.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    NP, just me being a bitch about it. :) I can't be that mad re: Peace Walker. It's not like the game is brand new.

• Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    The Metal Gear games have steadily been becoming more and more flagrant over the years with how they sexually objectify some of their female characters. I've wondered if this is Kojima making a point about culture, if this is just how they think gamers want it, or both.

Naw. Kojima had always been this way. You're probably just older and more educated and as such more aware.

Yeah, I almost think it has gotten more obvious over the years, but then I remember playing through Policenauts. Having dialogue options to grope random women you talk with in the game is... odd. Also, the most uncomfortable Kojima has made me with any of his games. I love Kojima, but he has his, uh, quirks, I guess I'll say.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    *spoilers*

*spoilers*

speaking as someone who hasn't played it and didnt intend to play it until the rest of the game came out

thanks man

thanks

it was just really classy, the way you threw down heavy spoilers like that

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    @Morninglord I am so...so sorry for spoiling that.

I sometimes just post without thinking.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    it was both of you
    i actually missed your post, ironically enough
    this is why i asked, waaaaay back, at gz release
    that everyone be really careful with spoiler tags until tpp came out
    and people were like
    nah man don't be silly it wont be a problem
    :(
    sigh

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I find that even when people are careful about this, I always click spoiler tags without thinking and bam

That's why I make the first paragraph in a spoiler super vague

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I was pretty irked by the treatment of Paz in Ground Zeroes. And then I read the CIA torture report released last fall and I stopped being irked by that and started being enraged by the knowledge that people under the employment of and at the behest of my country's government did that and worse to actual real people for decades.

Each MGS story, for all its fantastical elements, has at least one Drum of Serious Social Relevance that Kojima wants to beat. Nuclear warfare, nature vs nurture, countries abandoning their soldiers, the military industrial complex and war profiteering, Mutually Assured Destruction, etc. Ground Zeroes' drum is torture and atrocity and how complicit America has been and sadly continues to be while the public inexplicably condones it.

In the end, Ground Zeroes' treatment of Paz is horrible, artless, repugnant and, saddest of all, made completely relevant and validated by Historically-Accurate Real Atrocities Committed By Actual American Citizens.

I can get on board with him wanting to tackle serious issues, and yet
    was Kojima thinking "And now for something light-hearted and fun," or "This is going to be awesome, guys, seriously," when he created a character named Skullface whose only characteristic is that he has a skull for a face?* If the former, it misses the mark, like if Pennywise the clown was wearing googly eyes. If the latter, he's taking a page from the Pee-Chee Notebook school of writing, but more like a third-grader's. As eyerollingly ridiculous names go, that ranks up with "Hot Coldman." My point being that I love the gameplay and that he's making statements about the overarching themes, but when it comes down to details the writing has always been pretty ridiculous and it tends to buck my enjoyment off the MGS rodeo bull.

*And one line of throwaway dialogue that mentions he has a cowboy aesthetic, which is redundant because we've already had a wannabe cowboy running around since the very first game! Unless... Nah.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    I find that even when people are careful about this, I always click spoiler tags without thinking and bam

for extremely serious spoilers i used to tag them with SUPER SERIOUS SPOILER ALERT and then nest them with

WHY ARE YOU CLICKING THIS? GO AWAY!

in the first spoiler

have they fixed nested spoilers in vanilla?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Bursar wrote: »

I can get on board with him wanting to tackle serious issues, and yet
    was Kojima thinking "And now for something light-hearted and fun," or "This is going to be awesome, guys, seriously," when he created a character named Skullface whose only characteristic is that he has a skull for a face?* If the former, it misses the mark, like if Pennywise the clown was wearing googly eyes. If the latter, he's taking a page from the Pee-Chee Notebook school of writing, but more like a third-grader's. As eyerollingly ridiculous names go, that ranks up with "Hot Coldman." My point being that I love the gameplay and that he's making statements about the overarching themes, but when it comes down to details the writing has always been pretty ridiculous and it tends to buck my enjoyment off the MGS rodeo bull.

*And one line of throwaway dialogue that mentions he has a cowboy aesthetic, which is redundant because we've already had a wannabe cowboy running around since the very first game! Unless... Nah.

Skullface is Ocelot and Ocelot is Skullface... confirmed..?
    Also, the cowboy theme probably explains things. I don't think they ever show it in the actual game, but Skullface's weapon is a Mare's Leg or some cut-down lever-action rifle or something

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

for extremely serious spoilers i used to tag them with SUPER SERIOUS SPOILER ALERT and then nest them with

WHY ARE YOU CLICKING THIS? GO AWAY!

in the first spoiler

have they fixed nested spoilers in vanilla?
    no
    yes

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Or maybe Kojima just has a boner for cowboy themed characters.

Dude's a real hardcore westaboo.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    he's kinda a real hardcore everything a boo

there's cultural stuff from all over the world in metal gear, all mixed into the pot with a big spoon

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I still remember one of the Kojipro livecasts which was going to be a "SUPER IMPORTANT METAL GEAR ANNOUNCEMENT" and then about 45 minutes of it was a show talking about his favourite films and a documentary about H.R Giger

Twitch stream went apeshit

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Or maybe Kojima just has a boner for cowboy themed characters.

Dude's a real hardcore westaboo.

"This is just like one of my Italian spaghetti westerns!"
    (pees self)

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    I still remember one of the Kojipro livecasts which was going to be a "SUPER IMPORTANT METAL GEAR ANNOUNCEMENT" and then about 45 minutes of it was a show talking about his favourite films and a documentary about H.R Giger

oh man i gotta find this, sounds awesome. sounds like it was wasted on twitch streamers though.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Kojima has never had a problem tackling the issue of the day, it's how he likes to build his stories.

About Paz though that I find just a tad hypocritical.
    People not only seem to be forgetting that Paz herself was a monster who tried to massacre everyone on Mother Base, but that Chico was forced to have sex with Paz at gunpoint, and I believe he was a minor, as well as in general being a far more legitimately "innocent" character than Paz.

No one is saying what Paz endured was anything less than horrific and evil, however, she ended up in that position largely due to her own malice. Where as Chico did a dumb thing to try to save a girl he had a crush on, and ended up with his ankles stapled and just as traumatized and abused.

So I fundamentally reject the, "This is Kojima ganging up on women" argument in THIS instance.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    IIRC, Chico is 12 during Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. So let that sink in for a bit.

Paz
    claims to be 16, but is actually in her mid 20s.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Hmm yeah no
    I'm not going to find the treatment of a character any less shit because she was no angel.

Also that sounds really fucked.

I should feel more sorry for Chico because he was forced to rape her. All while saying i should have less empathy for her because she was a bad person.

Like what kind of shit is that seriously?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    @Dragkonias
    The fact that you say Chio was 'forced to rape' instead of Chico and Pax are mutually raped at gunpoint is kinda fucked up in my mind and shows a gender bias, but it might be unintended.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited March 2015

oh man i gotta find this, sounds awesome. sounds like it was wasted on twitch streamers though.

If my memory isn't mixing things up, it was the announcement with the easy-mode Chicken Hat, so it was basically Trolljima Kaioken x10 since the important announcement itself wasn't much more than a wet fart

Could have been something else though

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Feel about it however you want to, the point you don't seem to be acknowledging is:
    We've had 5 pages or so of gender biased discussion about Paz, while the fact that Chicos a minor, and actually a much nicer person than her, has been totally overlooked because apparently he's a guy.

So yes, he had it as bad if not worse. You can't have a discussion about bias while over looking that. In this case, I don't agree it is. Skullface is a monster. Its not Kojima ganging up on women in this case.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    @Dragkonias
    The fact that you say Chio was 'forced to rape' instead of Chico and Pax are mutually raped at gunpoint is kinda fucked up in my mind and shows a gender bias, but it might be unintended.

That word choice and subsequent appearance of gender bias might be a result of how the scene plays out. But yeah, both of them are being abused, for sure.

• Options
    *spoilers*

*spoilers*

speaking as someone who hasn't played it and didnt intend to play it until the rest of the game came out

thanks man

thanks

it was just really classy, the way you threw down heavy spoilers like that

Sorry! We don't usually spoiler mark anything in this thread unless its Phantom Pain related. Just kinda assumed everyone has played GZ at this point. And in my defence I was replying to like 2 pages of unmarked discussion, not sure why you singled mine out :p

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @Dragkonias

Don't play semantics games with me. Also...if you were so worried about phrasing...
    I think you would take more offense at "forced to have sex with". I specifically said "forced to rape" because it implies mutual victimization and it a far more accurate phrasing of what happened.

Feel about it however you want to, the point you don't seem to be acknowledging is:
    We've had 5 pages or so of gender biased discussion about Paz, while the fact that Chicos a minor, and actually a much nicer person than her, has been totally overlooked because apparently he's a guy.

So yes, he had it as bad if not worse. You can't have a discussion about bias while over looking that. In this case, I don't agree it is. Skullface is a monster. Its not Kojima ganging up on women in this case.

No...no no.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying entirely.
    The reason I have a problem with what you said is because you're playing victim olympics.

Trying to create a contest over who was the bigger victim and who we get to feel sympathy for is such a common and reductive tactic that I don't even feel the need entertain it.

Yes, what happened to them is both bad. Which one is worst...I don't give a fuck quite honestly.

That doesn't mean we get to turn our brains off.

Frankly, I don't have any assumptions about Kojima, outside of him being a bit of a perv. That is not why I have these kinds of conversations.

I have these conversations because these are things I feel I, and other people, need to think about.

Also, just so you do know. Forcing a little boy to rape or have sex is seeped in gender politics. Its about having them assert their manhood through domination. Basically, showing they are a "man". Its just like when fathers used to take their sons to brothels to lose their virginity.

And you see. The sad fact of the matter is bringing up Chico is an interesting point. But throwing him out there as some kind of checkmate is complete bullshit.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So, anymore news in the "Kojima is leaving Konami" front?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    There was a joint statement from Kojima and Konami stating he's committed to staying through the development of Phantom Pain, but that's it. No news on Silent Hill.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.