As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] djmitchella travelling through snow to rfind duplicate dates for singletons

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the documentation built into XCode is pretty good

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So can someone recommend some good tuts and guides on API info?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id881256329?mt=11

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    No time to program today, updating all my linux machines instead.

I only caught a glimpse of it, but is there already a fix out for it?

Yes, Maybe? Depending on your vendor you will have a patch. The first series of patches to bash itself only stopped a subset of the issue, I believe bash now has a second set of patches to fully fix the issue. I know that yesterday RedHat applied custom patches to bash that fixed both use cases before bash upstream did.

The real problem is that numerous exploits have been discovered in the wild as it is horribly easy to write them.

Oh thank god

Just dodged a bullet

Our embedded platforms are using ash from busybox.

*phew*

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Not sure if happy and relieved or sad and relieved.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    No time to program today, updating all my linux machines instead.

I only caught a glimpse of it, but is there already a fix out for it?

Yes, Maybe? Depending on your vendor you will have a patch. The first series of patches to bash itself only stopped a subset of the issue, I believe bash now has a second set of patches to fully fix the issue. I know that yesterday RedHat applied custom patches to bash that fixed both use cases before bash upstream did.

The real problem is that numerous exploits have been discovered in the wild as it is horribly easy to write them.

Oh thank god

Just dodged a bullet

Our embedded platforms are using ash from busybox.

*phew*

You are lucky.

• Options
    You are lucky.

If a vulnerability was ever discovered in busybox though, I would be so far up the creek it's not even funny.

Half our customers wouldn't even consider upgrading/patching their devices, because "Hey, it already works, right? Why patch something that already works?"

Luckily, most of them won't connect our devices up to the internet, but man...

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Updated PAdev.

Apparently there still is some related vulnerability that is not patched yet though? :|

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Yeah looks like Ubuntu only has the partial patch?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    A final patch is not available yet, at least not from upstream. But the current patch cuts the worst edges off.

• Options
    Yeah it depends on your distro. The original patch fixed the simple case for the vulnerability, but didn't handle more elaborate cases.

so version 1 handles:
    env var='() { ignore this;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c /bin/true  

and version 2 handles:
    env X='() { (a)=>\' sh -c "echo date"; cat echo

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    A final patch is not available yet, at least not from upstream. But the current patch cuts the worst edges off.

Woops you are correct it looks like version 2 isn't ready yet.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Debian just released their v2 patch, still waiting for it to show up in Ubuntu.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    So with all this bashing going on, good luck folks.

Question on other things though. Anyone know of a way to compile a .java file to .class file without installing the jdk? I'm on a computer where JDK is not installed and I can't install. If not, I will just check my program tonight when I get home, but I'm writing it in onedrive (which recognizes java files!) but cant test.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I think the real question is: why is a shell ever exposed externally?

it doesn't need to be exposed directly

Consider a CGI script that fork/execvs a shell script. That shell script would get all those HTTP_* environment variables.

Luckily, even CGI scripts have been on their way out for a long time anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled with what/why bash is even doing with those environment variables where this came up though

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Ubuntu patch #2 out about an hour ago.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I must hate my life to test my code using

http://www.jdoodle.com/

But, strangely, I'm still doing this.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    End wrote: »

it doesn't need to be exposed directly

Consider a CGI script that fork/execvs a shell script. That shell script would get all those HTTP_* environment variables.

Luckily, even CGI scripts have been on their way out for a long time anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled with what/why bash is even doing with those environment variables where this came up though

Environment variables are a horrible way to transfer that information! And shell scripts shouldn't be providing web services!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »

Question on other things though. Anyone know of a way to compile a .java file to .class file without installing the jdk? I'm on a computer where JDK is not installed and I can't install. If not, I will just check my program tonight when I get home, but I'm writing it in onedrive (which recognizes java files!) but cant test.

I'm guessing not. Can you not download the .zip of the JDK instead of running the installer? There's got to be a way to do that instead, right?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

The fun part is that it doesn't really have to be.
    ssh -o SendEnv=CraftedEnvFromSystem user@ip

Since the OpenSSH server sets up the environment before handing over to the shell (but at least after authentication), you could possibly break in to the system on any user with a shell set to BASH and run commands that normally would not be allowed.

This of course requires the server you're connecting to to be set up stuipidly to accept remote user environments, but the POC is pretty simple. Even if that is closed, you can craft various ForceCommand directives to SSH as well.

Except isn't this pretty irrelevant? If you have to be authenticated, then you're already a shell user in the first place, with shell user privileges.

It wouldn't work for any other shell then bash (i.e. git-shell or something).

• Options
    It seems like it would be running in the context of the openssh server process, which could be root

• Options
    edited September 2014
    why would it set it in the server process? it's for the session...

but I'm not sure certain git-shell and friends are safe anyway, since providing a command to ssh manually invokes it via the shell (or at least, it ended up using the shell builtin when I tried it with "echo"), and I wouldn't be surprised if authorized_keys does the same

(I should note, in my gitlab install at least, it still uses /bin/sh as the shell user, and overrides using command= in authorized_keys. I don't think it's actually touching the user's shell though, just always uses /bin/sh for commands, since I tested via my own authorized_keys and still hit the shell builtin)

End on
  • Options
    I'm guessing as part of its fork-setup env-exec path?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    sure, after fork and after you've started setting up the user's session

assuming there isn't some dumb pam module involved, the only shell involved is going to be the user's long after you've assumed the user's id anyway

the only problem ssh has is (probably?) restricted shells where you wouldn't already get dropped into a real shell

End on
  • Options

I'm guessing not. Can you not download the .zip of the JDK instead of running the installer? There's got to be a way to do that instead, right?

I can look for that. I'm thinking of getting a portable as It seemed there was an option for that. I love portable apps. I was able to get a lot done using that web site, was just painful. I had to edit my .java, copy and paste, execute, repeat.

I don't know if I program right, but I make minor changes, test, repeat. I don't like to make large swaths of changes when righting.

• Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So yeah, typical compose methods, like Clojure and most js libs are right associative.
    compose(a <- b);

Transducers.js port from the new Clojure stuff is left associative for some reason.
    compose(a -> b);

I'm pretty sure this is just to fuck with JS people.

jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Starfuck wrote: »
    So yeah, typical compose methods, like Clojure and most js libs are right associative.
    compose(a <- b);

Transducers.js port from the new Clojure stuff is left associative for some reason.
    compose(a -> b);

I'm pretty sure this is just to fuck with JS people.

Trying to right wrongs that were never wrong to begin with. Although to be fair, in math, there is both a right-to-left compose operator g ∘ f and a left-to-right compose operator f ; g.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    i wonder how different Bash is from version to version.

I actually have a client project with a mission critical bash script of the several hundred line variety

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i wonder how different Bash is from version to version.

I actually have a client project with a mission critical bash script of the several hundred line variety

I don't think bash has really changed in 20 years.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

I can look for that. I'm thinking of getting a portable as It seemed there was an option for that. I love portable apps. I was able to get a lot done using that web site, was just painful. I had to edit my .java, copy and paste, execute, repeat.

I don't know if I program right, but I make minor changes, test, repeat. I don't like to make large swaths of changes when righting.

I prefer smaller changes myself. Would rather have to troubleshoot 20 lines of code than 200 lines of code. But that's just me. The other guys hate me because I make a bunch of commits and deployments.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

The fun part is that it doesn't really have to be.
    ssh -o SendEnv=CraftedEnvFromSystem user@ip

Since the OpenSSH server sets up the environment before handing over to the shell (but at least after authentication), you could possibly break in to the system on any user with a shell set to BASH and run commands that normally would not be allowed.

This of course requires the server you're connecting to to be set up stuipidly to accept remote user environments, but the POC is pretty simple. Even if that is closed, you can craft various ForceCommand directives to SSH as well.

Except isn't this pretty irrelevant? If you have to be authenticated, then you're already a shell user in the first place, with shell user privileges.

It wouldn't work for any other shell then bash (i.e. git-shell or something).

Well yeah, except it provides a way for users to bypass any ForceCommand directives setup in sshd_config. So a user that is only supposed to be able to run, I dunno, git commands or whatever, would now be able to run any executable on the system they had permissions for. It isn't nearly as bad as the CGI exploits going around based on this, but it is a significant attack vector.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hooray, the v2 patch for Fedora is out now. Is the v2 patch the final one (for now)?

• Options
    Looks that way.

• Options
    Woo I can finally write code at work using C++11! (Well a subset so far)

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    My :rotate: moment of the day -

I'm between projects right now, so I figure I should finally do the home site revision I wanted to do for the last, oh, 2+ years. It's pretty stupid to be like, "Hey, I'm a freelancer! Hire me!" if I don't actually have a website that's up and running at the moment. I haven't touched ASP.NET MVC in a few years, and I really like C#, and I have some free Azure space, so I'm just like, "Fuck it, I might as well learn about the cloud and shake the rust off my Microsoft skills."

Now, my old, horrible homesite is on GitHub, and I used GitHub for Windows to transfer over a local copy. I have my new project working with Git locally, but when I try to push, it gives me an error about how it can't do it because there's a remote branch with the same name as a local branch. Well, duh. That's how VCS works. So, apparently, VS 2013 will only push if the branch was created through it. Otherwise, it won't. Which is moronic.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah it depends on your distro. The original patch fixed the simple case for the vulnerability, but didn't handle more elaborate cases.

so version 1 handles:
    env var='() { ignore this;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c /bin/true  

and version 2 handles:
    env X='() { (a)=>\' sh -c "echo date"; cat echo

A relevant fyi about zsh (I prefer fish shell, but certain things at work make it hard to replace zsh with fish, so I stick with zsh)

https://superuser.com/questions/816622/does-the-shellshock-bug-affect-zsh

Basically, zsh isn't vulnerable itself, but just because your shell is zsh doesn't mean things don't use bash all the time.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I learned how to use Git this week for my senior design project. It is hard to fight the irrational fear that I will accidentally overwrite everything the first time I click "commit".

On the other hand, it is quite a bit more elegant than sharing a google document.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My poor wife is on-call this week and was up until 5:30am last night. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    i've been fucking around with HSV color interpolation on and off for weeks and I realized that the reason I was never getting good results is because my shading algorithm was much with the borked

finally fixed all that, so I am going back to the HSV later on... although I'm not sure it's purely necessary. It's good enough now to take a video so I will this weekend

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    I don't suppose this is the place to talk about a Blue Screen of Death, is it?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I don't suppose this is the place to talk about a Blue Screen of Death, is it?

Not particularly, but usually, BSoDs nowadays tend to be symptoms of hardware failure, as opposed to crappy software/drivers...

Edit: But feel free to post more details.

The worst that'll happen is that we'll all go Pop? on your post because we have no idea, and the hardware may have popped or something.

ecco the dolphin on