As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's punch people in the [Character Action Game] thread!

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    It's an entire experience, which most games fail at creating.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The story is complete nonsense but the characters are all pretty good which keeps it in line

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Okay just started playing Bayonetta 2

I can't articulate why yet but it just FEELS a lot better to play

Everything seems a lot snappier

And the first game was certainly no slouch in gameplay

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    i played bayonetta 1 on 360 and loved it and felt it played great, but when i played the wiiu port 4 years later it felt a bit sluggish compared to bayonetta 2. i think bayonetta 2 just runs a lot smoother in general. very rarely, if ever, did i experience framerate dips.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Bayonetta 1 actually runs slightly faster on Wii U compared to 360: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-bayonetta-wii-u-face-off

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    When we started Bayonetta, our director, Hideki Kamiya, asked me to design a character with three traits:
    1) A Female Lead
    2) A Modern Witch
    3) She Uses Four Guns

The female designer got these instructions and produced Bayonetta.

I don't think it's that simple, I've read before that they worked very closely with her the whole time. She pretty much just took orders from them.

That's a quote from her.

Follow the link and see for yourself.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    for anyone who is still left wondering:

devil may cry 2 really is that bad

like holy shit

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    for anyone who is still left wondering:

devil may cry 2 really is that bad

like holy shit

Yeah

For the longest time I was like 'they must just be comparing it to the 1st/3rd games, which are great! Of course a mediocre middle game is going to appear worse!

No, it's completely horrible

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    oddly it has the same director as 3

he appears to have learnt all of his lessons at once there, because he hasn't made a game that isn't crazy since.

interesting fact, kamiya was never approached or asked about making it even though he still worked at capcom at the time. they ignored him completely.
    and even though he rightly responded to this by ignoring everything dmc did since...he apparently still would be willing to work on a sequel if they actually asked him

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Umbran Climax Efficiency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7HhAg9RuuQ&feature=youtu.be

Just a couple of examples.

Dat hamma

The first one is something I've seen complained about as being broken so I used it as a baseline.

• Options
    Just fought Masked Lumen in Chapter 4

hey that was RAD AS FUCK

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    can we talk about warframe in here

i like warframe

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I thought Warframe was a shooter

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Vanquish is a shooter and it totally counts.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    warframe's melee stuff takes heavy heavy heavy influence from character action stuff, at the very least

• Options
    Well I'm curious now so explain.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Well I'm curious now so explain.

It's not what you're thinking.

Warframe was a Vanquish-ish shooter where you control SPACE NINJA'S, or Warframes. Each frame has it's own strength and weaknesses and a League of Legends like Power system. 3 abilities and an Ultimate.

Lots of guns, some wall running, POWA SLIDES, the works.

Later on they reworked their melee system to resemble CARS. I put alot of emphasis on RESEMBLE. It does have movelists, and different weapons have their own properties. And while these weapons are as effective as guns, it dosen't go crazy with enemy interactions. There aren't any juggles or shenanagins you can do. Just ground based combos with minor hit detection.

Now if you REALLY wanted to get into a Character Action Game that's disguised as an MMO, it's Vindictus.

That would be right up your ally(it's totally up mines). As in, you got dodges with active invulnerability frames with tight windows and counters and huge REALLY GOOD bosses and I can really go on and on about Vindictus.

But Vindictus can be a GIGANTIC money hole though.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

hey that was RAD AS FUCK

All of the Masked Lumen fights in Bayo2 are kind of amazing

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TOO LATE I'm going on and on about Vindictus.

There is a character with JUST frames on her combos.

One of the characters can block. She can counterattack after blocking(which has invulnerability frames throughout the animation). She can also PERFECT block. Which uses less stamina and causes less shield durability damage.

Like, it's a grounded action game that happens to be multiplayer. You can actually solo anything in the game depending on how good/how patient you are.

UGH I have to stop talking about this I will link some videos.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dhkssuddl/videos

Just gonna leave that there.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    It's fascinating because Oz lol internet means I can never play Vindictus, so thanks for sharing.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

hey that was RAD AS FUCK

All of the Masked Lumen fights in Bayo2 are kind of amazing

The third is my favorite fight in the series on infinite climax.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    60 fps and 1080p resolution — It looks and feels super smooth to play.
    Uprezzed Graphics — Including textures, characters, and cinematics.
    Big Bundle of Content — The game includes DmC: Devil May Cry, plus all released DLC: Vergil’s Downfall campaign, 3 Dante skins, 3 Dante weapon skins, and the item finder.
    New Skins — 2 new character skins. Devil May Cry 1 Dante and Classic Vergil.
    Turbo Mode — Turbo Mode returns to the Devil May Cry series, with the game running 20% faster in this mode.
    Hardcore Mode — Hardcore mode retains the experience of DmC, but with a throwback to the classic Devil May Cry games in terms of balance. In this mode, which can be toggled on all difficulty levels, the style system has been rebalanced to make ranking up much harder and ranks deteriorate much quicker. In addition, Devil Trigger doesn’t launch enemies into the air, parrying takes more skill, and all enemies hand out more damage.
    Manual Target Lock — We’ve seen more requests for this than any other feature! The manual target lock works as closely to the classic Devil May Cry lock on as possible and has fully configurable controls.
    Vergil Bloody Palace — Only second to Manual Target Lock in terms of the number of fan requests! This is a new Bloody Palace mode featuring 60 levels and Vergil as the playable character.
    Must Style Mode — This is a hardcore modifier on an epic scale that can be played over any difficulty level. Players must be at an S rank or higher to deal any damage to enemies.
    Gods Must Die Difficulty Mode — This is DmC Definitive Edition’s hardest difficulty mode. It takes DmC’s ridiculously hard Dante Must Die mode and adds a touch more punishment: All enemies spawn with Devil Trigger active and no items or health drops can be used.
    Rebalanced and Retuned — We’ve studied fan feedback and made a whole host of tweaks and balance changes. The style system has been rebalanced, as have bosses. Exploits have been fixed in combat and some of Dante’s moves rebalanced, such as the Demon Evade. Gameplay tweaks have been made following hardcore player testing; frames have been removed from Kablooey shots, Parry/Evade windows adjusted, and collectibles, keys and doors redistributed.
    Integration of Popular Community Mods — DmC Definitive Edition includes community mods such as an optional timer disable for Bloody Palace Mode, a triple dash for Angel Evade, and the ability to hit red and blue enemies with any weapon.
    New Cutscene — an added cinematic scene that never made it into the original.

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    YESSSSSS

It's not a sequel but I will take it!

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Yep I'm grabbing that not only to play it again and do vergils downfall but to show that I'll pay for new devil may cry content

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm ecstatic they are acknowledging DmC exists and that people liked it

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    There's also a DMC4 Special Edition coming.

I'm way more interested in hearing about if there's anything new in that.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

"As previously alluded, we are indeed also confirming the existence of Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition, which is apparently coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One next summer (2015) and has something to do with that blue guy. Not sure what, exactly. Guess you’ll all just have to start guessing. ;D"

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »

"As previously alluded, we are indeed also confirming the existence of Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition, which is apparently coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One next summer (2015) and has something to do with that blue guy. Not sure what, exactly. Guess you’ll all just have to start guessing. ;D"

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

They're adding Mega Man as a playable character?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    now how about a prince of persia 2008 remaster, ubisoft

DmC and PoP 08 are in the same category to me

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    now how about a prince of persia 2008 remaster, ubisoft

DmC and PoP 08 are in the same category to me

I'd just prefer a sequel to PoP 2008.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

Mm I just bought dmc hd collection and then followed that with dmc4

But I am fine with buying it again, plus now I'm good at it

DMC4 is my favorite I think

Like in terms of positives vs negatives I think dmc3 is the best

But 4 is my favorite

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Okay I am actually impressed as hell will all the stuff they are packing into that DmC port. 108p, rebalancing, manual lock-on, being able to hit any enemy with any weapon, removing the bloody palace timer, adding vergil bloody palace, that is all fantastic. But I beat the game like 4 times already and i don't think i have it in me to do it again.

But give me that DMC4 special edition right the hell now VERGIL'S BACK

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    How does Vindictus do it's money sink thing? Is my progress just going to get super slow after a while? Or are my items going to break and only efficiently be repaired by money? Basically what sort of punishment is this likely to dole out to someone who does not want to throw dollars at it?

• Options
    How does Vindictus do it's money sink thing? Is my progress just going to get super slow after a while? Or are my items going to break and only efficiently be repaired by money? Basically what sort of punishment is this likely to dole out to someone who does not want to throw dollars at it?

No your progression will always be pretty even.

Your punishment will commence 80+.

Money wise, it's pretty damn free up until 70, which is when stats like Attack and Attack speed and Crit and balance and defense all start to really matter. You want the 70 gear, which will cost you around 30-40 mill for the armor(Nighthawk chest legs helm and Apocalypse feet and gloves), and 10 odd mill for a cheap Nighthawk Weapon.

Then you have to get that weapon to +10 to at least sniff 14k attack(Which is the BARE minimum if you want to run some of the 70-80 content), and the enhancement system is your classic korean hate system, since your weapon can break(refunding some mats) after +8(unless you use enhancement runes that you buy in the cash shop! lel).

And that's not getting into the enchantment system(which can also boom your weapons/armor)

Now you can, I mean, CAN, bypass some of the pay2win aspects by devoting a stupid amount of time(Farm all of your own mats+get as many stat titles as possible), but you'll basically be 80 by the time you need you finish.

At 80 you start hitting endgame level gear, and you need 16k attack to run the instances that give you level 80 gear mats, which is possible in level 70 gear, but requires alot of time invested in titles and things.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Integration of Popular Community Mods — DmC Definitive Edition includes community mods such as an optional timer disable for Bloody Palace Mode, a triple dash for Angel Evade, and the ability to hit red and blue enemies with any weapon.

That is super cool. It's sure is nice when developers pay attention to that kind of stuff.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...yeah. I'm getting that.

I never thought DmC was a bad game(liked it a lot honestly).

My only real complaint was that I felt the enemy design was a tad bit too easy. So it'll be interesting to see how they rebalance things.

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    the ability to hit red and blue enemies with any weapon.

wait what no

that kind of ruins a lot of the combat

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    It's a mod

I'm sure you'll have the ability to turn it off

• Options
    Still no taunt eh.
    Vergil in DMC 4 shit hot. Can't wait to see his taunts.