Options

Let's punch people in the [Character Action Game] thread!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think that as a woman the most important thing is the feeling you get out of it. If it makes you uncomfortable, that's bad. If it makes you feel empowered, that's good!

THey're not mutually exclusive, though

Bayonetta's a lot of things but I think it can be agreed that the games are not an absolute good in terms of their gender portrayal; it doesn't mean they're bad or that they're good, it just means that there's a lot to dissect there

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    for what it's worth bayonetta's character designer is a woman, though of course the director is not

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Ah, I didn't know that! I'll have to look up more of her concept art, because I really do dig Bayonetta's design.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Crossposting from the backlog thread:

So I decided to finally play the copy of Bayonetta I've had sitting around for years, because the new one's just come out. Just got through the prologue and half of the first chapter because I suck (gonna have to try that bit again).

I am genuinely baffled by this game. It's an absolute blast to play, the music is infectious, and the story is insane. The hyper-sexualized animations for Bayonetta herself are so over-the-top I'm almost tempted to think it's satire? I don't know what to make of it! Guess I'll have to give it some more playtime to solidify my opinion.

All right, so now I've played a few more chapters, and I feel like I have a decent handle on what Bayonetta's all about. I'm still conflicted! Yes, her portrayal is absolutely sexualized to hell and back. Yes, the camera angles are absurd and the innuendo is constant. YES, OKAY, her attacks make her clothes come off.

On the other hand, she's always (so far anyway) portrayed as having the upper hand. She is not being victimized, she's not being pressured. Fuck, she doesn't even seem to be doing all that jazz for anyone's viewing pleasure. If anything, it's so over-the-top as to cause discomfort to those who might normally be into that sort of portrayal in games or movies.

On the OTHER other hand, I'd be far more happy with this interpretation if there had been any female developers on the original team. Not that an all-male team couldn't possibly create a feminist, woman-empowering game, but I'm more likely to question the intent of that team vs. one which had more involvement from da ladiez.

On yet another of my multitudinous other hands, does developer intent matter so much? As a woman playing this game, I find it engaging and I find Bayonetta herself to be delightful. I feel like maybe I should be offended, but I'm having too much fun and it seems like the leading lady is also having a blast.

So yeah, very conflicted. I definitely understand both sides-- if people find it offensive, it's not hard to see why and I don't blame them for it. If people find it empowering, I also can see that interpretation. Probably it's a mix of both, but damn if it isn't fun to play.

Basically, I'd say @Transporter had a good summation earlier in this thread:
    In Bayonetta 1 and 2. Bayonetta was "sexy". But not in a "Oh my god, she's so hot" kind of way, but more Bayonetta proclaiming, in a LOUD voice, "GOD, I AM SO FUCKING SEXTY HOT". It's not a "do you find me attractive notice me and my attractiveness", it's a loud declaration of, "HOLY SHIT, do you see how HOT I AM RIGHT NOW. BECAUSE I AM. TAKE MY TEMPERATURE, I'M BURNIN UUUUPPP".

It's an entierly self-serving "sexy", not for anyone else, just her.

Sorry for the ramble folks, just trying to sort through my thoughts. They might change as I continue playing, too, as I'm still pretty early in the game.

http://platinumgames.com/2009/04/17/designing-bayonetta/
    When we started Bayonetta, our director, Hideki Kamiya, asked me to design a character with three traits:
    1) A Female Lead
    2) A Modern Witch
    3) She Uses Four Guns

The female designer got these instructions and produced Bayonetta.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I do still like how the whole game is about Bayonetta using what are generally considered both intrinsically feminine and intrinsically evil powers (witchcraft) to beat the Hell out of the patriarchal system of Heaven, whose pretension at righteousness is a mask for something even more foul and alien beneath the surface

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Which is ultimately reversed when it's revealed
    that the supreme being of Paradiso (and Inferno) is female.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I've barely played any Devil May Cry games, and I kinda want to play DMC2 all the way through just to have it be my one big exposure to the series.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I've barely played any Devil May Cry games, and I kinda want to play DMC2 all the way through just to have it be my one big exposure to the series.

You're sick, you know that?

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Other than a few good things like Dante riding a motorcycle straight into hell, the "Here's your crown" quip, and Lucia there's really no reason to play DMC2.

As a game it's a perfectly serviceable action game for the time period. The problem is it's not a general action game, it's a sequel to one of the best, genre defining games ever made, so in it's own twisted way deserves all the hate it otherwise shouldn't get.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

You're sick, you know that?

All I've ever played of the series is a few hours of DMC4.

I turned it off once it switched to Dante.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFxjEdig0bg&feature=youtu.be

Cancelling whip throw with umbran spear at the top if its arc will pop them extremely high in the sky, although it is hard to time the maximum height.
    The 360 moves are obvious but I discovered something interesting I didn't know when making this video.
    It doesn't matter where Bayonetta is in relation to the enemy when you do directional inputs like back forward or forward forward. No matter which direction you press on the stick and which direction bayonetta is facing, the resulting move will always head towards the soft locked enemy. You only have to make sure the "back forward" moves are opposite directions and the "forward forward" moves are the same direction.
    You can do eg left to right for tetsu or left left for stinger moves, every time, all the time, and it will always work.
    As a result you can confidently use these attacks in conjunction with umbran spear even if you have no idea where she will be after the teleport!
    Extremely handy.
    I need to get the climax brace so I can test things a lot easier. Being lazy about the crows. :)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    So I defeated Nelo Angelo in DMC1. Third fight, what is pretty definitely the last one.

The story in that game is so paper-thin it's kind of endearing. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare but god damn, I'm most of the way through it and there's barely been any dialogue at all. I guess it's a game of its time.

The part in late-game where you return to the first parts of the game but everything is all dark and some doors are missing is kind of getting under my skin, though. I can see where this originally was a RE game and this part is creepy as fuck.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So I just played the Bayonetta 2 demo

I

Should play that

And the first one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm making a lot of videos for this game showing various techniques. I hope you guys don't mind if I do a bunch of posts in a row over time if nobody replies in between. I don't want these techniques to get missed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROiKCb-EOCg&feature=youtu.be

I put a lot of information in the description of my videos on youtube, so I recommend checking that. Don't worry you wont accidentally read any brain squashing comments.
    I burn idiotic posts off my videos with the cleansing fires of this is not a democracy.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Just played the Wonderful 101 demo again and fucking goddamnit i love that game so much I need to rebuy it

I have made many mistakes this year

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The best part about taunting in DMC 3 is that it's slightly contextual.

If you taunt before a fight, you're egging on the enemy. If you taunt after you do something awesome, you're emphasizing that, yeah, that just happened.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Just played the Wonderful 101 demo again and fucking goddamnit i love that game so much I need to rebuy it

I have made many mistakes this year

Don't sell consoles while games are still comin out for em

You just never know

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If he sold the console how did he play the demo

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I rebought the console

Gamecube adapter, man

Anyway

I got Bayonetta 2

Do I really NEED to play the first game first, or can I just play 2 and go back if I'm still feeling it

Cause I really wanna play 2 and if I play 1 first there is like a 70% chance I burn out on this kind of game for a little while

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I rebought the console

Gamecube adapter, man

Anyway

I got Bayonetta 2

Do I really NEED to play the first game first, or can I just play 2 and go back if I'm still feeling it

Cause I really wanna play 2 and if I play 1 first there is like a 70% chance I burn out on this kind of game for a little while

Skip 1. You really don't miss much and you can just read the wiki.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, Bayonetta

Dragon Age Inquisition has stolen my time. I will come back to you eventually, I promise

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I'm so sorry, Bayonetta

Dragon Age Inquisition has stolen my time. I will come back to you eventually, I promise

This is literally my experience right now, as well

Smash Bros. isn't helping things either

This is a Hell of a couple of months

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Oh man, I haven't even picked up Smash Bros. yet! I'll just have to hope people are still playing it whenever I get around to playing.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOF5EnAITW0&feature=youtu.be

I'm not even aware that other games exist right now.

If my girlfriend wasn't addicted to ff xiv I wouldn't be playing anything else.

I hardly ever read threads outside of bayonetta 2. If I'm not playing it properly I'm testing something in it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    warlords of draenor and shadows of mordor have taken up my time. i did beat bayonetta 2 but i'd like to go back to it still. though the further away i get from it the more afraid i am that i'll just come back and suck at it or forget stuff.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    dmc hd collection for 10 bucks for gold members on 360

a perfect price for me to pay

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i watched my mom play the bayonetta 2 demo over this weekend

she got a bronze on the first fight!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Witch Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMz6SpKQO4I
    Witch time amplifies the effects of your attacks across the board, but especially weaves. It generally increases stuns and keeps enemies in the air, but even if the occasional rare enemy isn't normally vulnerable to regular attacks during witch time they will be vulnerable to weaves. Example: Sloth.
    This is why the Bracelet of Time is so overpowered.
    What this game asks of you, the player, is to fit as much punishment as you can into an extremely small window. This means learning to dodge offset to get to stronger weaves to land and reacting extremely quickly when you dodge in order to disable and stun the enemy long enough to land further punishment outside of witch time.

This was recorded in third and infinite climax, but these rules don't differ across difficulties.

This is an extremely defense focused game. Your greatest attack options come from a strategically integrated defense. A lot of enemies have counter attacks or moves they will do in reaction to you: setting these up in order to get witch time and then countering with that witch time repeatedly through the fight in one long smooth sequence is the foundation for high level play in Bayonetta 2.

If you want to be all offense, equip bracelet of time, but as you can see, there isn't a lot of challenge to it.

A good rule of thumb is to do afterburner kick during witch time. If that doesn't work, that means you need weaves.

Super large enemies like Beloved, Belief etc, have a special system. They can be stunned by weaves regardless of witch time, but they can't be stunned when they are in the middle of an attack.
    So you have to hit them in between their attacks. It's a timing thing. Witch time helps because it lets you land weaves in between their attacks. Launching weaves are best, but knockdown weaves are a good second best.

• Options
    I am most of the way through the first Bayonetta

Uhhhh

That game turns into Road Rash for like 20 minutes halfway through?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yes.
    Yes it does.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I am most of the way through the first Bayonetta

Uhhhh

That game turns into Road Rash for like 20 minutes halfway through?

The Road Rash bit is cool, but I much preferred the....

No, I'll let you find out for yourself.

• Options
    I know about the Space Harrier part

I guarantee I won't like it as much as the Road Rash part, even if it went on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    That part would be cool if it wasn't in the same chapter as the best boss fight in the game what the fuck make these things separate chapters it's not hard.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Well that was an entire chapter for 1 boss fight while surfing in a rainstorm

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The Lumen Sage Infinite Climax Pure Platinum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf-pAVkV90g

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    When we started Bayonetta, our director, Hideki Kamiya, asked me to design a character with three traits:
    1) A Female Lead
    2) A Modern Witch
    3) She Uses Four Guns

The female designer got these instructions and produced Bayonetta.

I don't think it's that simple, I've read before that they worked very closely with her the whole time. She pretty much just took orders from them.

• Options
    Of COURSE that skyscraper was secretly a rocketship intended to fly to the moon and you need to ride a motorcycle up the entire length of it

Why wouldn't that happen

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I just used INFINITONS to punch a resurrected God through the entire solar system into the sun and then the credits started rolling and then the credits were interrupted because the game wasn't actually over

6F32U1X.png