As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread from last year....

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Is it worth training cooking? I'm about to start doing dungeons to progress the main story line and I figure food buffs would be nice. But what I found on the market board was fairly expensive for me. Since I can't even sell stuff yet without a retainer.

Also, the first few dungeons are basically to train you how to do them right? So I shouldn't have any problems if I'm pugging?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    I heard we were talking about how awesome blue is.

Blue is best.

cyan nyan

• Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Finishing up my first book tonight; should have just enough myth to get the second one. What's the best way to earn 1500 myth every 2-3 days? Just daily roulettes?

Chubby Bunny on
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    @PierceNeck‌ Culinarian is worth leveling if you want to craft at some point. Their level 37 cross-class skill is considered mandatory for end level crafting. If all you want is the food buffs and the XP bonus, just buy cheep foods at independent culinarian NPCs in any of the main cities' marketplaces.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Is it worth training cooking? I'm about to start doing dungeons to progress the main story line and I figure food buffs would be nice. But what I found on the market board was fairly expensive for me. Since I can't even sell stuff yet without a retainer.

Also, the first few dungeons are basically to train you how to do them right? So I shouldn't have any problems if I'm pugging?

You can train cooking up into the mid-20s using only stuff sold by the guild vendor (and the fishmonger). It's definitely worth it as a first craft (though not necessarily as the first one to take to 50).

Caveat: Without retainers, cooking can seriously eat into your inventory space. Vendor foods are cheap, don't keep anything you don't need. Sell off any non-HQ mats you can buy at-will.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Finishing up my first book tonight; should have just enough myth to get the second one. What's the best way to earn 500 myth every 2-3 days? Just daily roulettes?

Best way by far is Hunts if you can get the info in time. You can get 1000 myth in a few hours that way. A ranks are 80 myth a pop and S ranks are 200.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Finishing up my first book tonight; should have just enough myth to get the second one. What's the best way to earn 500 myth every 2-3 days? Just daily roulettes?

Best way by far is Hunts if you can get the info in time. You can get 1000 myth in a few hours that way. A ranks are 80 myth a pop and S ranks are 200.

80! Thought they were 50. Okay, I need to get into a good hunt LS.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    @ringswraith‌ make sure to check the market board for ilvl 70 gear too. It's nice filler gear for collecting myth and seals for the i90 gear.

Or ask around! Some of us can probably throw together some fairly solid gear for you.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Even with 4 retainers, with one dedicated to cooking materials, you'll be very hard pressed to keep everything you may need on hand. It's far better to gather/obtain materials on demand and keep in mind what materials you need for specific foods that are 'important', and to craft things in large batches. Also, use the Libra Eorzea database along with XIVdb to narrow down what stuff can be bought, especially the stuff from the Beastman tribe vendors. Being able to source lumber, ingots, cloths and some very high demand cooking ingredients like salt and flour really helps when doing large batch crafting or conserving shards

Probably the biggest relief when it comes to keeping crafting materials on hand is when you get to all DoH 50 and HQ gear and you can 100% HQ anything short of the star recipes with NQ mats. All of a sudden, you don't need any HQ mats on hand for the lesser stuff and just send them straight to the MB, and keep only NQs

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Papagander wrote: »
    @PierceNeck‌ Culinarian is worth leveling if you want to craft at some point. Their level 37 cross-class skill is considered mandatory for end level crafting. If all you want is the food buffs and the XP bonus, just buy cheep foods at independent culinarian NPCs in any of the main cities' marketplaces.

The other nice thing about Culinary is that the Spicy Tomato Relish recipe is by far the easiest to HQ of all the items used as currency for the BiS Crafting glasses. Even all the 1 & 2 star foods can be crafted with no/minimal materia melding.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Did we ever get further on that thought of throwing together a Hunt LS based in our FC?

• Options
    Ok so I don't understand what you guys are talking about.

Time to hit up a wiki and learn what all of that means!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Did we ever get further on that thought of throwing together a Hunt LS based in our FC?

We created one! There aren't too many people in it just yet but just ask in the FC and people should be on that can invite you. I'll make some more leaders to night to make it easier to get FC members into it.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

We created one! There aren't too many people in it just yet but just ask in the FC and people should be on that can invite you. I'll make some more leaders to night to make it easier to get FC members into it.

Woo! Sweet I will certainly join up!

• Options
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Papagander wrote: »

The other nice thing about Culinary is that the Spicy Tomato Relish recipe is by far the easiest to HQ of all the items used as currency for the BiS Crafting glasses. Even all the 1 & 2 star foods can be crafted with no/minimal materia melding.

Wait... food as currency? What slice of heaven the game does this?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Even with 4 retainers, with one dedicated to cooking materials, you'll be very hard pressed to keep everything you may need on hand. It's far better to gather/obtain materials on demand and keep in mind what materials you need for specific foods that are 'important', and to craft things in large batches. Also, use the Libra Eorzea database along with XIVdb to narrow down what stuff can be bought, especially the stuff from the Beastman tribe vendors. Being able to source lumber, ingots, cloths and some very high demand cooking ingredients like salt and flour really helps when doing large batch crafting or conserving shards

Probably the biggest relief when it comes to keeping crafting materials on hand is when you get to all DoH 50 and HQ gear and you can 100% HQ anything short of the star recipes with NQ mats. All of a sudden, you don't need any HQ mats on hand for the lesser stuff and just send them straight to the MB, and keep only NQs

Wait what?! 4 retainers?

How? How? How? How?

I need so much more inventory space.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So I thought I was making the magic class that would turn into black mage.

Apparently that was thaumaturge.

Also conjurer is not the summer class like I first thought but is in fact the healing class.

Apparently Arcanist is the summoner class. I wondered why my up front damage was so weak.

Names.

They are not very good at them.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Ok so I don't understand what you guys are talking about.

Time to hit up a wiki and learn what all of that means!

Whoops, we sort of fast forwarded a bit there...

So crafting is kind of its own meta game, complete with gear and stats and cross class abilities just like the battle classes. It's not a bad thing to poke around with at low level, just to get a feel for it and see if you like it, but it's definitely not required for anything. As in any economy driven game, there's the opportunity to get rich playing the market board. Another added bonus is the ability to repair your own gear for a fraction of the cost.

For your original question, you can get food from NPCs very cheaply in the cities and towns, it's definitely worth using the buff all the time for the +3% exp. The food also scales based on your stats, you'll get like 3% of your total [stat] up to 6 or something... So at low level you're probably not going to have 200+ of whatever stat to get the full benefit of anyway, so the cheap stuff is fine.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I like the fishing.

With my controller set to vibrate I can just close my eyes and chill out.

I'm too busy punching things to really bother with it on moku.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I've been thoroughly disenchanted by early level Magic classes; no matter which one I go with, I always end up needing to kill mobs by smacking them with my stick. Hellooooo, see these puny biceps ? Narrow, undeveloped shoulders ? Chest scrawnier than Barack Obama's ? Do I look like I should be tickling monsters to death ?

• Options
    I like the fishing.

The controller vibrate is such cheating: I was a able to fish up the Silver Sovereigns for the upgraded rod while wandering around my condo cooking, cleaning, bathroom breaks, getting a drink, laundry, etc.

I considered putting it in a ziplock bag so I didn't have to stop for a shower, then realized that might cross the line into insane.

• Options
    I have never bludgeoned monsters with my stick/wand/book, except by accident or for a lark.

Are you running out of MP during mob fights somehow?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Wait what?! 4 retainers?

How? How? How? How?

You have to purchase additional Retainers on the mog station as an additional service. Once you have done that you can create them in game.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    I like the fishing.

The controller vibrate is such cheating: I was a able to fish up the Silver Sovereigns for the upgraded rod while wandering around my condo cooking, cleaning, bathroom breaks, getting a drink, laundry, etc.

I considered putting it in a ziplock bag so I didn't have to stop for a shower, then realized that might cross the line into insane.

hahaha

its not cheating

its the only way

i would hate fishing otherwise
    I have never bludgeoned monsters with my stick/wand/book, except by accident or for a lark.

my cat chopped a bat with his book sideways
    it was like some kind of kung fu move

WATA

Morninglord on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

That would be a Yes. All the danged time.

• Options

Wait what?! 4 retainers?

How? How? How? How?

You have to purchase additional Retainers on the mog station as an additional service. Once you have done that you can create them in game.

Aw dammit. Real-world cash? I shoulda guessed.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

That would be a Yes. All the danged time.

It always seems that my spells bring the thing down to a tiny sliver of health. Rather than spend five seconds casting a 2 second spell with a 3 second cool-down I'll just hit it once to make it sit down and shut up.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Someone please remind me where I can get another retainer, and how much it costs?

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Tea wrote: »
    People rolling ninja be like:

http://youtu.be/YQTn1QxCZ2s

What am I watching and how can I watch more of it.

It's The Hero Yoshihiko and the Demon King's Castle, a no-budget series from Japan that's basically a huge parody of Dragon Quest (and RPGs in general).

There's a couple seasons of it, and it's been fansubbed by a couple groups of you search around.

I find it incredibly funny, and there's not too much untranslatable Japanese humor in it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

It's The Hero Yoshihiko and the Demon King's Castle, a no-budget series from Japan that's basically a huge parody of Dragon Quest (and RPGs in general).

There's a couple seasons of it, and it's been fansubbed by a couple groups of you search around.

I find it incredibly funny, and there's not too much untranslatable Japanese humor in it.

Excellent, thanks! Definitely gives off a Journey to the West vibe.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Someone please remind me where I can get another retainer, and how much it costs?

MogStation, at $2/month/retainer.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »

Excellent, thanks! Definitely gives off a Journey to the West vibe.

Having watched the whole thing as well I can attest to it be hilarious and quite silly.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Does housing have upkeep?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Does housing have upkeep?

Nope.

But personal housing is very expensive and extremely limited at the moment. They will be doubling the available wards in 2.4, however I would wager those plots won't last very long on our server as people snatch them up.

I would also wager however that they will periodically add wards over time as demand dictates, given how expensive they are however it would take a fair amount of time (depending on how you earn gil) to earn enough to purchase one.

In the interim there are Personal rooms available in the FC house which are a more reasonable price (you can earn the 300k gil needed in one week just from doing all your daily stuff each day. However the personal rooms don't have available gardens for gardening and are more just for decorating with furniture and baubles.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    $2 per month?

Screw it. I'll just deal with inventory management.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Edit: Never mind.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    $2 per month?

Screw it. I'll just deal with inventory management.

Remember that this allows you not only to have more space, but more items on the MB, and more ventures run.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Ok, one last question. The quest says I have to use the duty finder to get in to Sastasha.

Do I actually have to use the duty finder? Or can I just ask around to form a party?
    Because apparently I'm the only one trying to do that quest. I got so tired of waiting on my archer, I decided to just go level up the pugilist class and wait to do the dungeon another day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok, one last question. The quest says I have to use the duty finder to get in to Sastasha.

Do I actually have to use the duty finder? Or can I just ask around to form a party?
    Because apparently I'm the only one trying to do that quest. I got so tired of waiting on my archer, I decided to just go level up the pugilist class and wait to do the dungeon another day.

You can form a party ahead of time, but then you need to still use the duty finder to enter the dungeon (although with a full party there won't be a queue). Queue times on DPS are a bit rough at times, if you can queue with a tank or healer it will go much faster.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You can form a party, but you still have to use the duty finder. With a full party it won't try to match you with anyone, and you will get right in.

And if anyone is doing Roulette they will be matched with you, so it isn't that everyone is actively avoiding that dungeon. DPS just has a terribad long wait.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
This discussion has been closed.