As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Also, log into your old/current account and look at your average usage over the last few months to see if 500 works for you.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Depends. Do you use navigation much? I usually run between about 250 MB to a little less than a gig of my 2 GB plan, purely dependent on how much I use navigation. I do almost everything else with that phone over Wi-Fi.

So I guess it depends on whether they just cut off your data or they charge you overages on the prepaid plans. I'm on a Verizon postpaid, and those overages can stack up quick if you are not careful. (I actually have my phone set to cut off my data a little under my plan limit so I don't do that again.)

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I wouldn't recommend Verizon for prepay. Their best deals involve long term contracts with multiple lines

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I just can't pull the trigger on a Surface Pro 2, the price cut on the 3 is just so tempting...

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I just can't pull the trigger on a Surface Pro 2, the price cut on the 3 is just so tempting...

The pro 3 is honestly such a nice device in every capacity that it's probably worth waiting for

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There doesn't seem to be another choice in our area, AT&T has very spotty service. Straight Talk requires you to buy a phone.

How can I move pictures ànd contacts from my old phone to my PC?

Is there a way to save voice mail messages?

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »

The pro 3 is honestly such a nice device in every capacity that it's probably worth waiting for

I can't really wait. I pretty much have to make a decision soon. My old boss is feeding me contract work do to on my off hours for some pretty good money and I need to invest in some hardware.

• Options

I can't really wait. I pretty much have to make a decision soon. My old boss is feeding me contract work do to on my off hours for some pretty good money and I need to invest in some hardware.

Kickstarter

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I fell on my phone and broke it. My wife and I switched to Straight Talk about 6 months ago, but now we are thinking of switching back to Verizon, so we can have better phones at a cheaper cost. We're looking at their prepaid plans. Is 500 MB enough if we mostly use Wi-Fi?

Its doable but you really need to monitor your usage.

Especially if you're using something like google maps to work out directions etc

and don't stream audio/video when on the road, and watch out for "free" games that make their money by playing video ads. IOS lets you say 'these apps can use non-wifi data, these apps can't', so I've used that to keep anything from getting too out of hand -- but I've still wound up with something using a few hundred meg for no reason that I could discern, too. (I used ~3gb over the entire last year because I'm on a pay-as-you-go plan where I buy data in 1gb chunks, but I'm a:almost always on wifi, and b:am pretty persnickety about when I'll use non-wifi data).

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    500MB shared is not very much. I use google maps semi regulary, few times a week, and it used .17GB last month. So it's really going to depend on your usage. 1GB is plenty for me if I only download files over wifi and don't stream any music.

• Options

Kickstarter

Lol! I can totally afford one I'm just gun shy

• Options

Kickstarter

Lol! I can totally afford one I'm just gun shy

*deletes email draft of me sending you pictures of my arms*

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I've been on T-Mobile for a bit now, and before then was always on a family plan where I didn't pay attention to anything.

I'm looking at other carriers, and... am I missing something here? It's looking to be about $100+ more a month, assuming we get new phones, for a 2 year plan. Couldn't we just.... get new phones ourselves, stay on T-Mobile, and save like $1000 over the 2 years?

Is my math wrong? What advantage am I missing, here?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    There is no advantage. Cell phone carriers are the devil.

• Options
    We went with Verizon's pre-paid plan. $45/month, 1.5GB and bought Moto e.

How do I android?

• Options

How do I android?

Install and learn how to use Swype.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Get Textra for sms.

• Options
    Use Pushbullet to sync your notifications to your desktop if you use chrome, and to enable universal copy and paste

• Options
    What about hangouts?

• Options
    What about hangouts?

If you do any group mms communication at all use hangouts. It's way faster than everything else

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I got the Lollipop upgrade today. It's only 4 months later than HTC originally promised!

If this phone wasn't so great in every other respect I'd make an empty threat to go to another manufacturer next time.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am supposed to be getting lollipop soon on my LG G2

I hope it fixes some of these app stability issues I've been having.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

How do I android?

ew, no, swiftkey.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Which were the good samsung tablets again? I always get confused with their names.

Or any other good <10 inch android tablet recommendations?

• Options
    I think I know how to Bluetooth my really old contacts from my ancient RAZR.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    Which were the good samsung tablets again? I always get confused with their names.

Good Samsung Tablets end in Pro, S or Note.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »

I really like my Nexus 9, but there seems to be intermittent build quality issues with it (some have light leakage, some don't. Some have issues with screen flicker on auto brightness or low brightness, some don't.). My buddy also got one and the memory leaks from 5.0 seem to mess his tablet up more than mine. There's also the issue of it takes forever to charge, because HTC didn't think that was a priority for the hardware for some reason... YMMV.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

How do I android?

ew, no, swiftkey.

I just switched back to Swype. It's way more responsive than Swiftkey, at least on my phone.

• Options
    see, I hate swiping altogether.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Butt... You can swipe with swiftkey

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    I found Swype to have better recognition of words I am most likely trying to use.

• Options
    yes, yes you can.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Apple Watch reviews are coming in, and they are hilarious.

signature.png

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Second coming of Christ or...??

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Linkkkkks to good one please. I hunger.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    The Apple Watch is a beautifully constructed, compact smartwatch. It's feature-packed, with solid fitness software, hundreds of apps, and the ability to send and receive calls via an iPhone.

THE BAD Battery barely lasts a day and recharge time is slow; most models and configurations cost more than they should; requires an iPhone 5 or later to work; interface can be confusing; sometimes slow to communicate with a paired iPhone.

THE BOTTOM LINE The Apple Watch is the most ambitious, well-constructed smartwatch ever seen, but first-gen shortfalls make it feel more like a fashionable toy than a necessary tool.

• Options
    This is the one with the most weird tone-deafness and unintentional comedy, IMO.

http://www.theverge.com/a/apple-watch-review

signature.png

• Options
    Also, it's a five thousand word novella with CREDITS (???) including like twenty different people.

signature.png

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Prescription glasses sit on your face, but improve your vision all the time, so they’re successful.

• Options
    The "Twilight of Attention" (!!!) section is my favorite:
    So far I’ve mostly used the Watch either alone or in an office environment, but it’s really different to have a smartwatch in a bar: here, even small distractions make you seem like a jerk. Sonia’s trying to describe the project to me and find ways to work together, but I keep glancing at my wrist to see extremely unimportant emails fly by.

Paying zero attention to someone trying to have a conversation with you makes you """seem""" like a jerk.
    It turns out that checking your Watch over and over again is a gesture that carries a lot of cultural weight. Eventually, Sonia asks me if I need to be somewhere else. We’re both embarrassed, and I’ve mostly just ignored everyone. This is a little too much future all at once.

Looking at your watch has been social shorthand for "I am bored as fuck" since forever, was this reviewer unfrozen from a block of ice recently?

Also it's the watch's fault that I don't give a shit about what my co-worker is saying.

signature.png

This discussion has been closed.