As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twin Peaks Revival Thread

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    https://www.facebook.com/davidlynchofficial/posts/828067360575486
    Dear Facebook Friends, Showtime did not pull the plug on Twin Peaks. After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done. This weekend I started to call actors to let them know I would not be directing. Twin Peaks may still be very much alive at Showtime. I love the world of Twin Peaks and wish things could have worked out differently.

....Dammit, dammit, dammit.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    ffffffffffffffffff

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Well...shit.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I had a bad feeling. The world of TV can be a harsh mistress, sometimes.

• Options
    DropbearDropbear Registered User regular
    https://www.facebook.com/davidlynchofficial/posts/828067360575486
    Dear Facebook Friends, Showtime did not pull the plug on Twin Peaks. After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done. This weekend I started to call actors to let them know I would not be directing. Twin Peaks may still be very much alive at Showtime. I love the world of Twin Peaks and wish things could have worked out differently.

....Dammit, dammit, dammit.

Dear Showtime,

The correct amount of money to offer David Lynch for a new Twin Peaks TV series is $1 more than whatever the fuck he asks for.

Sincerely,

Dropbear

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Why doesn't Netflix pick it up? They can afford whatever Lynch wants.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    If it's Twin Peaks season 2 coming back I'd rather they just don't.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, I'm about 2 episodes from finishing the series (and if I can find the movie, I need to see that as well), but the first season really captivated me.

Second season, not so much. After a certain point it just became a chore instead of a joy to watch.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DropbearDropbear Registered User regular
    Season 1 (and the first half of season 2) worked really well because the show was anchored in the mystery of Laura Palmer's murder. There was a focus to the show and a feeling it was driving towards something. The latter half of season 2 felt unfocused and gave the impression everyone was just "running in place".

I always got the impression that the writers went "well, what do we do now? Oh shit, come up with something fast" after the killer was revealed.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Blehhhh

• Options
    Sometimes it works. Like I'm interested in the Black Lodge and BOB stuff, and Cooper's old partner/nemesis is good too. The Pagent stuff? Not so much.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Dropbear wrote: »
    Season 1 (and the first half of season 2) worked really well because the show was anchored in the mystery of Laura Palmer's murder. There was a focus to the show and a feeling it was driving towards something. The latter half of season 2 felt unfocused and gave the impression everyone was just "running in place".

I always got the impression that the writers went "well, what do we do now? Oh shit, come up with something fast" after the killer was revealed.

The writers were under heavy pressure from network executives to go ahead and reveal the killer in the second season. In fact, they had been more or less forced to do that, even though they really did not want to. They were getting pressured to do it as early as the first season.

Afterward, they did the whole Windham Earle arc to give Cooper a reason to stay in Twin Peaks, but it still felt really forced. If David Lynch had had his way, the reveal of the killer would have waited until the end of the show.

It's also worth noting that the network moved the second season to a ridiculous time slot (Saturday nights at 10 PM). You might get more people watching that time slot nowadays, or at least recording it on their DVRs, but back then it was a death warrant for the show and ratings plummeted.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Someone clearly fucked up here. Props to Lynch for not letting himself get roped into something that wasn't on his terms, but really, this is shit that should be sorted out months ago, before the announcement. How did this not get locked in?

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Yeah, seriously. This is the type of thing you work out before big splashy announcements of the return, not after.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    The details I've heard is that Lynch suddenly decided because he "doesn't do TV" that he wanted his contract structured like it was one, nine-hour movie, and thus would be paid at the rate a director would be paid to make a nine hour movie.

I mean, the rate a movie director makes vs. the rate a TV director makes is astronomically different. Even when shows get random movie directors, like Harold Ramis doing The Office or something, they're usually doing it because they love the show and don't care that it's a huge pay cut.

I'm curious if Lynch is saying that they're not giving him the BUDGET to do what he wants, or they're not giving HIM the money to do it.

The former is cool with me - if he has grand ideas to do the Black Lodge with crazy special effects and explore this stuff with visions in his head that he feels NEED to be that way, I say give him the money because I want to see that.

If he feels he is entitled to a gazillion more dollars than average because he's David Lynch, sorry - I'd rather we just buy the scripts and have someone else shoot it.

David Lynch should absolutely be paid more than a normal person, by a good amount, to direct TV. I'm curious exactly how much he's asking, because he seems like he can be a pretty cool guy sometimes. I don't think he'd hold a show hostage that people were SO excited for, just to make a couple more million.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I've sometimes puzzled over David Lynch's concept of money. It's been a while, but even the Club Silencio app had some crazy stuff in it. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some spur of the moment decision he had about what Twin Peaks needed to be and that's how we got where we are.

At the same time, David Lynch is also one of those creators who has reached a stage in his career where basically no one gets to tell him what to do, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was at the root of this disagreement.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    David Lynch - great in the 80s and 90s.

But, what has he done lately? He's talking about Twin Peaks for over 20 years now, now suck it up and get it done.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I just want to know who I should be mad at so that all of my future hate mail can be directed to the appropriate person/entity.

Cuz this is super fucking lame.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    darren66 wrote: »
    David Lynch - great in the 80s and 90s.

But, what has he done lately? He's talking about Twin Peaks for over 20 years now, now suck it up and get it done.

Two years ago, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caWXt9lCVrc

Then he collaborated with Moby last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qne3nUj_to

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Less recently, there's also Mulholland Dr (2001) and Inland Empire (2006). (I'm a pretty big fan of both!)

Anyway once or twice I've heard the sentiment, "Twin Peaks was always weird, but in season two it got too weird." And I'm like, I dunno, have you seen Eraserhead/Lost Highway/Mulholland Dr/Inland Empire? If not you don't even know the meaning of the word weird

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I don't think I've ever heard the "Too weird in S2" criticism. After all, the Little Man from Another Plane, the Giant and the Red Room are about as weird as it gets, and those pop up very early. (It's mostly in Fire Walk With Me that things get insanely weird.)

For me it's much more that some directors were able to handle the weirdness, and others weren't. In the second season, the series at times turned into a tacky, surreal soap opera. Now, it always was a take on soap operatics, but Lynch at his best gives the surreal a strangely compelling inevitability, a dream - or nightmare - logic that is distinctly different from bad, cheap, arbitrary "Look how weird we are!" surrealism. The episode in which BOB is revealed is weird, but it isn't tacky, it isn't random, and it's frightening as hell as well as inutterably sad.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Later season 2 desperately needed some "Invitation to Love" interludes to lampshade how absurdly soap opera the storylines had become.

• Options
    The cast is supporting David Lynch and is starting a campaign to get him back on board somehow

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I never actually finished this series, although I remember my dad watching it as a kid and catching some of it. I liked it from what I remember. I plan on watching it on netflix at some point, but can someone spoil for me if they ever revealed not just who did, but the reasoning behind it?

• Options
    Tommatt wrote: »
    I never actually finished this series, although I remember my dad watching it as a kid and catching some of it. I liked it from what I remember. I plan on watching it on netflix at some point, but can someone spoil for me if they ever revealed not just who did, but the reasoning behind it?

They did. The series does not resolve completely, per se, but you do get to find out who killed Laura Palmer and why.

• Options
    It actually illustrates how off the rails season 2 is. They reveal the killer at almost exactly the halfway point of the show. They resolve Laura Palmer's murder then there's another 13 more episodes.

• Options
    InstantPigInstantPig Damn Registered User regular
    Which you can mostly skip, except for the last couple.

PSN: Fading_Vision

• Options
    No, watch them. They are a little directionless, but still relevant.

• Options
    InstantPigInstantPig Damn Registered User regular
    If you are that far, you might as well, but I just thought the stuff with James was dead boring, especially after how great the first half of the season is. In fact it's all I can remember from those episodes. I don't remember any relevant lore, but it's been a couple of years since my last watch.

PSN: Fading_Vision

• Options
    I'm at the last two episodes and I can bring myself to watch them :confused:

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I was really sad when it seemed like that gum I liked wasn't coming back in style

Now it's back and I did a backwards dance around the room

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    @Nocren Get on those last two episodes, son, more is coming

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I need to really finally start Season 2

it's been like a year or two since I saw 1; maybe should start that one again?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »

Twin Peaks is best marathoned and not watched concurrently with other shows, because it is dense with weirdness and details that you'll likely overlook if you're distracted.

So I endorse your plan to start over, is what I'm saying.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

You should watch the first season again....

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This is going to be so, so weird.

People forget that Lynch only directed like 2 or 3 episodes of the first two seasons.

Him directing 9+ episodes is going to be the most insane thing.

Can't wait.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Okay, I just finished watching the show today. Sorry for not responding to people talking to me in this thread (and also for posting things that had already been posted; I wasn't going to risk spoiling myself).

My friend was watching the last episode with me and asked me what I thought was going to happen. I said I figured it was probably going to be a bad ending, and the two most likely outcomes are that either Cooper is possessed by BOB or that he is somehow trapped in the Black Lodge. Imagine my surprise when both my predictions came true!

If I had watched this 24 years ago and found out the show was cancelled, I'd be pissed. I feel like I dodged a bullet by watching it just as a third season was announced. I also feel like with David Lynch directing all the episodes, the odds of it being a worthwhile watch are high. Even if it's not absolutely amazing, it would at least provide some closure.

That was a very creepy final episode, too.

giphy.gif

Nightmare fuel.

fap fap fap fap fap

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The entire season should focus on Kiefer Sutherland.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar