As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Loose Pin Posts?

miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Pinny Arcade
Earlier today I decided to finally take all of my pins off their little pin sheet things and start putting them up on a display piece. As I was doing this I noticed what seems to be a problem. On a few of the pins after I took the rubber back off I noticed the pin backing points were sort of loose. It didn't seem too bad but then I noticed my DnD anniversary and Garruk pins were really wiggly in the back. To the point where I'm actually worried about them. Right now the pins are hanging up on my little display currently but I am worried that should I ever need to take them off to switch or customize the display a little more the back pin points might break off. I'm just curious if this has been an issue that others have had. It seems to really only be noticeable on my WoTC Pins so I'm not sure if it is due to poor manufacturing on their part or something else. They are pins in my personal collection so I suppose worst to worst if they break I can hot glue them or something but I love my pins and I'm sad to see sub-par quality on the points. I know it's not due to actual damage I have treated my pins very well and have always moved them around individually wrapped in bubble wrap.

Just curious if anyone's got any ideas or suggestions or had this problem as well.

Thanks guys!
Mike

weZXr66.png
Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
Pinny Pals - Miker525
miker525 on

• JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    13156258855671020703297.jpeg

These bad boys. Buy em in bulk. Or if you're looking for something more durable and permanent, go with these. But the former have never given me any problems, and I highly recommend them.

• El_FunkoEl_Funko Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I bought a baggie of the locking pins pictured above, so far they seem very solid and reliable. I haven't yet put them through the paces of a PAX show, but that will happen in just over 2 weeks.

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Ehh it's not so much a problem with the rubber holster so much as the actual pin part. I'm not sure how to clearly describe it but the metal point that goes into the rubber holder that's loose and wiggly. It's why I'm actually afraid of taking the pin out of my display I'm afraid the pin itself with break.

Sidenote: I am planning on purchasing those back pieces for when I need to take pins to PAX for trades. They look much better than the rubber ones

weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    Ohh.. that's very different then.

The actual join between the pin spike and the flat part of the pin is sketchy and loose?

El_Funko wrote: »
    Ohh.. that's very different then.

The actual join between the pin spike and the flat part of the pin is sketchy and loose?

Indeed. Like I said it seems to only be my DnD pin and my Garruk but it worries me. the spike is quite wiggly especially on the DnD. Was curious if I'm the only one with this misfortune.

weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    Hmm that sucks. I've noticed a few of my pins were bent, but I haven't really seen a loose one like you described.

I was going to say, if it's a pin you bought from the Merch store, you could try emailing them and pleading your case to maybe get a replacement. They also might want to know so they can chase it up with the manufacturer. However since they're pins from PAX shows, they probably don't have a bunch of spares sitting around.

You could try strengthening it with epoxy glue, something made for metal on metal contacts, but you never know how well that's going to work.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Pedants corner: it's called a Post.

If you really wanted to try and fix them, you could use a soldering iron and the smallest bit of solder you can.

edited October 2014
    PedroAsani wrote: »

If you really wanted to try and fix them, you could use a soldering iron and the smallest bit of solder you can.

Thank you. I, obviously, had no idea what it was called and this should presumably help the discuss now that I know what it's called.

Back on the topic, I was considering trying to solder it in place but wasn't sure how bad that may end up. If the post gets any worse I suppose I'll give that a try.
    Hmm that sucks. I've noticed a few of my pins were bent, but I haven't really seen a loose one like you described.

I was going to say, if it's a pin you bought from the Merch store, you could try emailing them and pleading your case to maybe get a replacement. They also might want to know so they can chase it up with the manufacturer. However since they're pins from PAX shows, they probably don't have a bunch of spares sitting around.

You could try strengthening it with epoxy glue, something made for metal on metal contacts, but you never know how well that's going to work.

I may email them anyway just to inform them. If it's just me with the issue, which it seems like it is, I could just be that unlucky with flawed or fragile pin posts. Will see...

Either way thank you to you both

miker525 on
    weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    miker525 wrote: »

Thank you. I, obviously, had no idea what it was called and this should presumably help the discuss now that I know what it's called.

Loose Pins Backs usually means a baggie of the rubber backs, sold as spares.
    miker525 wrote: »
    Back on the topic, I was considering trying to solder it in place but wasn't sure how bad that may end up. If the post gets any worse I suppose I'll give that a try.

For reference, Pins are typically made from either Pewter (170C-230C), Zinc (491.5C), or Brass (900C-940C). Solder can be gotten with really low melting points (60C) but they are expensive. Look for something like this which has a melting point of 139C.

A loose post is typically the result of air bubbles in the metal during casting. What this does mean is that there is space just waiting to be filed with solder, if there is a gap big enough.

Suggested method (NOTE: Untested thus far, based on circuit board repairs)

Required: Flat metal sheet, soldering iron, solder wire similar to above link, small pliers, metal bowls, ice, {Advanced method, tube of bath sealant}

Find a flat metal sheet, large enough to work on the Pin and have ample space for other equipment.
    Place the Pin face down on the sheet.
    Put one metal bowl in each corner as close to the Pin as you can, and fill it with ice. Leave for ten minutes. This should help reduce the metal sheet down a few degrees.
    Heat up the soldering iron (don't play with it in the ice bowls. This is SRS BSNS)
    Place the tip of the soldering iron on the tip of the Post. This will ensure that heat travels down from the tip to the Pin, rather than spread from the base of the Post in all directions.
    Push the tip of the solder wire into the gap, or where the Post and Pin meet. Wait for it to melt.
    As soon as the solder begins to melt, lift off the soldering iron. Keep pushing the solder until it cools and becomes solid.
    You may need to do this a couple of times, using the soldering iron to wiggle the Post and fill the air gaps inside the Pin.
    Once you are satisfied there is enough solder in the gaps, use the pliers to manipulate the Post into the correct position whilst keeping the soldering iron contacted. When you have the correct position, remove the soldering iron. Hold that position until the solder cools.

Repair complete.

{Advanced method}
    As above, but instead use the bath sealant to draw a boundary around the Pin, and another around the outside edge of the metal sheet. Fill the space with ice directly rather than using buckets. The sealant will keep water from contacting the Pin or the floor. IMPORTANT: Soldering iron is electrical equipment. Ice is water. Careful what you are doing.

My only question is: when can we expect your DIY Pin Maintenance podcast and/or YouTube series?

"Now take your number 00 polishing cream, and dab lightly while moving your pin cloth in a circular motion.."

stuff...
    While I don't want to have to do this, if I do need to do this I'm glad to see it's been planned out. Luckily I'm pretty good with a soldering iron...err used to be.. haven't soldered anything in probably a year or so.
    My only question is: when can we expect your DIY Pin Maintenance podcast and/or YouTube series?

"Now take your number 00 polishing cream, and dab lightly while moving your pin cloth in a circular motion.."

Well I can tell ya that if I do end up soldering the pin together I'll try to youtube it so you guys can see how it comes out. I certainly won't be doing the talk through though ;)

weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    Something like this would be a good investment if you have a few Pins like you described. LED readout would let you know when you are reaching the solder melt point, and if you want precision temps you can use the hot air gun rather than the soldering iron.

@PA Jamie this is why we have the Pin materials question still in the FAQ. If the Pins are all zinc and brass (or some alloy) then repairs aren't so fraught with danger. Pewter is a bitch to make adjustments with unless you have lab equipment or pockets full of luck.

• JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    Something like this would be a good investment if you have a few Pins like you described. LED readout would let you know when you are reaching the solder melt point, and if you want precision temps you can use the hot air gun rather than the soldering iron.

Lol, as if people needed to spend more monies on something pin related. XD

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I can't wait to see the officially branded Pinny Repair Tool set announced at Aus.

Juicesir wrote: »

Lol, as if people needed to spend more monies on something pin related. XD

I'm likely to get one when I get the house squared away. That is one kind of tool that I always find useful to have around for those ten second jobs. Same as a Dremel, useful for those odd niche jobs.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    One of my AI pins has a loose post. Common enough I suspect.

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    So I'm resetting my pin inventory after my huge trade, apparently my Aus Gabe has a wiggly post. I don't see any gaps or anything that would make it appear loose. Now I'm scared :(

• 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    When I was packing up from Aus I had 3-4 that had loose post. Honestly, I don't think that it is a huge deal. The fact that none of us noticed that any of the pins had loose post until someone brought it up to me should be indication that it has not caused any harm.

If they were breaking off, then I would start to worry. ^_^

• dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    I think it has more to do with manufacturing practices more than anything else. Sure wearing the pins on your lanyard might add some wear and tear over time, but the main thing is that the pins are made in China. They make thousands of pins so there are bound to be some that are "loose." I agree with @00Fayt00‌ in that it is nothing to really worry about. I mean if you have it displayed somewhere you won't really look at the back. All of my pins are displayed and I don't really move them after displaying them. Now if you were constantly moving them and using the needle all the time then maybe over time it would fall or break off.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
    When I spoke to Brian at Aus he said he would pass on the metallurgical results so I can work out some kind of repair strategy. (The Pins are tested every six months to ensure there is no lead, and so the breakdown of what is in there is a byproduct of needing to test.)

It will be a couple of months before I have an actual repair station set up, but if you all hold onto the Pins I should be able to do something about loose posts.

• grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    I maybe terribly unlucky but I've had a handful of pins with loose posts. 2 of which had broken off, I didn't even notice until the rubber fell on the floor :)

Mostly my pins sit in storage, so it's not even rough treatment or anything. I will wait for the repair info, can't really trade these pins anyway heh.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    grgemonkey wrote: »
    Mostly my pins sit in storage, so it's not even rough treatment or anything. I will wait for the repair info, can't really trade these pins anyway heh.
    top-men.JPG

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Pedro's pin storage ^^
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    The fact that none of us noticed that any of the pins had loose post until someone brought it up to me should be indication that it has not caused any harm.

Umm I noticed before this thread!

• HappendyHappendy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pedro's pin storage ^^
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    The fact that none of us noticed that any of the pins had loose post until someone brought it up to me should be indication that it has not caused any harm.

Umm I noticed before this thread!

As did I. It was on a lookouts pin fortunately so all I needed to do was trade it away.

My granok pin though...