Indoor Security

PrimePrime Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm pretty (99%) sure my Ex is taking some of my things from the house when I'm not there, also now I'm living on my own it would be good to be able to keep an eye on the place when I'm not around/keep an eye on the dogs.

I want to setup indoor video security that I can access over the internet while I'm at work for piece of mind from now on. I have no experience in this can anyone direct me to a brand/style of camera I'll need and pointers to the process. I'm pretty technical and can follow directions to setup most things.

Someone will bring it up so I'll mention changing the locks at this point isn't an option legally as she still requires access to the house.

Prime on

Posts

  • Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    In the past I used Logitech home cameras. They use CAT5 cables. The issue is they have to be plugged into a wall outlet, so is possible for her to just simply unplug them.

    You basically have a reciever box that plugs into your computer and the software, than you can install up to 5 cameras. Can mount them on walls, have stands they sit in, also have a suction cup to place on a window to look outside. They have outdoor cameras as well, never used those though. The software will let you do continous recording or motion detection and will let you zoom in or out if you want to look at a specfic area.

    The nice thing about them is they all came with a micro-sd card inside the camera as a way to back up past 4 hours or so of recording. In case something was to happen to your computer or what not.

    PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    While she may require access to the house, you should still put a lock on a closet and secure things you don't want her taking.

    Edit: What size of objects are you trying to keep track of? It may be easier to start small with a webcam just to see if anything is worth additional investment.

    dispatch.o on
    chr1sh4ll3ttb3ceresCreagan
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Prime wrote: »
    I'm pretty (99%) sure my Ex is taking some of my things from the house when I'm not there, also now I'm living on my own it would be good to be able to keep an eye on the place when I'm not around/keep an eye on the dogs.

    I want to setup indoor video security that I can access over the internet while I'm at work for piece of mind from now on. I have no experience in this can anyone direct me to a brand/style of camera I'll need and pointers to the process. I'm pretty technical and can follow directions to setup most things.

    Someone will bring it up so I'll mention changing the locks at this point isn't an option legally as she still requires access to the house.
    does access require uncontested entry since it could mean you or an agent let her in when she needs to

    camo_sig.png
  • PrimePrime Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    While she may require access to the house, you should still put a lock on a closet and secure things you don't want her taking.

    Edit: What size of objects are you trying to keep track of? It may be easier to start small with a webcam just to see if anything is worth additional investment.

    Well it started off with kitchen bit and pieces, things I was willing to turn a blind eye too. If she's hard up enough to take utensils she was welcome to them. But yesterday (based off a hunch I had after meeting her to discuss some things) I went to the loft/attic to check my snowboarding stuff. Low and behold my good quality salopettes are missing.
    I'm pretty sure she's given them to her new partner (they wont fit her) as she mentioned going on a ski holiday next Feb and I knew she had been in the loft recently.

    Its not the value of the things she has currently taken, its more I want to put up a deterrent to make her think twice, or at the very worst if she carries on, I can go "Stop taking my *&%$, I know you are, I can prove you are"
    mts wrote: »
    Prime wrote: »
    I'm pretty (99%) sure my Ex is taking some of my things from the house when I'm not there, also now I'm living on my own it would be good to be able to keep an eye on the place when I'm not around/keep an eye on the dogs.

    I want to setup indoor video security that I can access over the internet while I'm at work for piece of mind from now on. I have no experience in this can anyone direct me to a brand/style of camera I'll need and pointers to the process. I'm pretty technical and can follow directions to setup most things.

    Someone will bring it up so I'll mention changing the locks at this point isn't an option legally as she still requires access to the house.

    does access require uncontested entry since it could mean you or an agent let her in when she needs to

    I own the place so it would have to be me. But I cant do that as I work 9-6 and she works shifts so she could want access midday. Problem is if I change the locks I HAVE to give her a key.

    Prime on
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Maybe store the valuable things you don't need day to day somewhere else, and put everything else of value in a space (closet, bedroom, etc) that you can lock?

    The Enderceres
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    or take the time to put al the things she needs access to in some separate isolated area

    camo_sig.png
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Also... I can move everything I own in 2 days. There's no real reason she should be using your home as indefinite storage. Cheaper for you to spring for a storage unit for a month for all her shit and give her the key than set up surveillance.

    Inquisitor77
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Or a storage unit for your shit. It might also help you reduce some clutter to go through your things and find what needs getting rid of so it's not cluttering up your place.

    You have my sympathy though, that would be so frustrating.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    dispatch.o
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    If, as OP says, he legally needs to grant her access to his home, moving her stuff out probably isn't an option. There's a process that needs to be followed to evict someone, and simply moving their stuff out can cause pretty big problems.

    I'd hope he's already started the eviction process and can hopefully get it resolved quickly, but springing for a storage unit to move his stuff (if he doesn't have someone nearby to hold onto it) might be the best bet. It's not quite clear how malicious or innocent his ex is being - if things are small or gifts she gave him or whatever she may think it's her property.

    It also might be worth just discussing with her. It'll possibly blow up, but depending on the situation and where they left their relationship she might think she's moving her stuff out instead of taking OP's property.

    That said, if she's already moved out, all bets (may be) off. Ask for a timeline / give her a deadline to get her shit out, and change your locks. If she wants to get in and get her stuff, she can setup a time that's convenient to you.

    There doesn't seem to be much information on where they left things, but it does seem like there are only a few things missing and OP can't prove it, so he may be reluctant to blow things up and then realize 'oops, I put those in the back of my closet, she didn't take them'.

    As the usual disclaimer, a lawyer would be a good idea, document document document, etc.

  • PrimePrime Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    zagdrob wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be much information on where they left things, but it does seem like there are only a few things missing and OP can't prove it, so he may be reluctant to blow things up and then realize 'oops, I put those in the back of my closet, she didn't take them'.

    Yeah this is my biggest issue, dont have the best memory, although after last nights searching im more convinced she has.

    Thanks for all the advise, I did, with her permission, go through EVERY room in the house (including loft space) and put all of her things in a single spare room. Also helped me cut down on my own stuff. I also made an inventory of anything of value I would care if went missing. I think currently that's the best I can do without going security mad.

    I have to keep things nice and happy for now (in the process of buying her out of the house) so confrontation isn't an option. Hopefully putting all her stuff in a single room giving her no reason to go in any other along with a "friendly chatty" comment of being unable to find things will hopefully curb anything before she gets too bold.

    Prime on
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    What's your budget?

    There's these guys:

    https://www.dropcam.com/

    If you want to save video, there's a monthly cost for cloud storage.

    I've set up a Q-See camera system before, and it works okay. If you don't have a static external IP address accessing them remotely would be an issue when your ip changes. We ran cables for that setup, but they have wireless ones too.

    Do you own the home? or are you renting? If you own the home talking to someone like ADT for a comprehensive security system might be worth it.

    again, just depends on your budget and how much of the house you're trying to cover.

    walrus.png
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Have you taken a camera and photographically inventoried everything in the house?

    If not, you should. You should let your ex know that you're doing this, but claim it's to make sure nothing gets mixed up when she moves the rest of her stuff out, since you don't have the best memory for these things. When she inevitably gets help moving her stuff out, you don't want to have to go and bother her several months later after realizing that somebody helping her move accidentally took the wrong stuff. (This happens. When I hired movers to leave an apartment, they accidentally grabbed some of my ex-roommate's stuff, and three bags of garbage.)

    Get a safe, or some kind of really heavy locking storage container. Store the safe in a back closet, and if she asks about it, just lie.

  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    are you able to close off rooms to her? it's a bit extreme, but you might think about putting all of your stuff into a particular room, buying some cheap doorknobs that require a key and close off the rooms with your stuff.

    with the video, sure you might catch her in the act, but then comes the fun of accusing her and potentially pressing charges, etc.

    Creagan
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    What's your budget?

    There's these guys:

    https://www.dropcam.com/

    If you want to save video, there's a monthly cost for cloud storage.

    I've set up a Q-See camera system before, and it works okay. If you don't have a static external IP address accessing them remotely would be an issue when your ip changes.

    Every one of those camera+DVR deals I've set up and I think I've used 4-5 different brands at this point, come with a free DDNS service.

    Do the work, Call People, Have Conversations, Defeat Trump
    https://www.mobilize.us/peoplesaction/event/293197/
Sign In or Register to comment.