Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean if you are really crazy into Crucible in Destiny

The three new Crucible maps is probably a bit draw

But I kind of think the Crucible stuff is not very good

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I have never played an mmo. Or Destiny.

But the idea that people are getting multiple dupes of the same raid gear, instead of the things that they actually want to get

in a game that has no trading mechanic

IS FUCKING INSANE WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT.

Let me tell you about a game called Angband. It's a roguelike where many of the best possible items are artifacts. If an artifact is generated on a level and you left that level without picking it up then you could never get that artifact because the game would never generate that item again. Likewise if you killed an enemy and it dropped an artifact. If you refused to leave a level full of dangerous creatures because you wanted to find the artifact you though might be there (there are vague messages that might imply such a thing) and those monsters killed you then you would have to start the the game over with a new character losing 100% of your progress.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The Giant Bomb crew also regularly pay for their video games

They'll play review copies and whatever

But you hear them talk about paying for their stuff pretty often

Last week Jeff mentioned how it was possible they could expense stuff, but I've never gotten the impression that was something they did all that much.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure he basically said if they buy something for the site, they get CBSi to pay for it.

• Options
    "For the site" is not the same thing as "all the games they play in their free time."

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure he basically said if they buy something for the site, they get CBSi to pay for it.

They COULD

They also regularly talk about never turning in the forms

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geez, some harsh reviews for Evil Within and Civ

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah they were a little harder on them than I expected. I wonder how Sunset Overdrive will come out, im guessing 4 stars

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I wonder if Dan will rereview the Wii U version of Smash Bros and then THAT one gets 5 stars

Which now has me thinking

How the hell would that game fare in a GOTY debate

Dan's the only one that likes it

Brawl never even entered the conversation in 2008 because they didn't give a shit

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Aw man saw that there was going to be a Bioshock Infinite bundle and for a split second thought it meant for Ps4 and Xbox One. That game looks beautiful artistically, but old gen consoles really held it back compared to the PC. It would be perfect for a HD re-release just with the PC textures. I dont know who would be handling that kind of stuff if the company is kaput

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Veretas wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I really hope the people on the Murdered: Soul Suspect team get to see that John Carpenter played their game and thought it was interesting

@veretas

Haha, that's honestly pretty neat.

Soul Suspect has fantastic ideas that they completely and absolutely squander.

You know you're saying that directly to someone who worked on it right?

I haven't been following Evil Within, but it seemed generally in line with what I've seen elsewhere about Civ. A lot of it seems to be about how similar it is to Civ V, but considering how much some people like that game I'm sure it's not a problem for a lot of their fan base, three stars or otherwise.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting a 500 error when you try to visit the website?

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I think Jason was great on the podcast this week.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting a 500 error when you try to visit the website?

Yeah, Dave said on Twitter it's likely something weird but the engineers are out celebrating/cowering in fear from riots so the temporary fix is to add "/reviews" to the URL cause only the front page is broken.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I think Jason was great on the podcast this week.

There was a good chunk of time there after he and Dan came over that I thought he would just be a background player and not be much of a personality. Especially when he just did that one Bombcast, and that one Disney Infinity QL. Even the job listing mentioned that specifically, that the position was going to be a background player. But now he's on a bunch of stuff and he seems cool. It's probably a side effect of him being the only video guy at GBWest for an entire month. The Extra Life stream did a lot to endear him to the viewers, too.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    In terms of how you physically play the game, it is basically Civ 5. You build units. You have cities. Your cities have populations which activate hexes for resources for the city. There are wonders. Etc etc etc.

In terms of what you actually do, and how you progress your game, it is vastly different. The tech web and affinities in particular are massive game changers. The quest system is very cool too but I think it is too easy to ignore and leave behind.

All that said I do regret spending 50 dollars on it because just playing regular Civ 5 would have been nearly as satisfying and totally free since I already own it.

I would probably have given it 4 stars over 3 to be honest, but Alex's review isn't too wrong.

• Options
    I'm watching the DeadCore QL right now, and I know it's probably just in my head, but for some reason Jeff/Drew QLs feel oddly novel to me, like maybe they don't do many QLs together. Again, it's probably not true, but it feels like it. Also maybe it's got something to do with Drew coming into his own as a main guy within the last year or so, especially after the loss of Ryan and the relocations of Vinny and Patrick. Like, Jeff was this dude's boss at one point and now they're basically equals. Long way from folding t-shirts.

Edit: They've done plenty of QLs together.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Smash for Wii U will probably get five stars since it doesn't make sense to rate it any lower since it's the version that is basically the four-star 3DS version but with all the complaints fixed. Dan might have it in his top ten but barring a surprise 10th or 9th spot, I doubt it'll get on the general list. Jeff and Brad were not really feeling it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    What should I get Dan to sign in this second Air Force Gator book? I already have him writing, "Metal Gear Solid is Anime." In the first one

"This book is actually about ethics in games journalism"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

Evil Within spent the first two hours killing almost any suspense the game could have by completely screwing up any mechanics it tries to implement. Like, there was a point at about Chapter 4 that I started having fun with it. That ended when I got to Chapter 5. There are 15 chapters in the game.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

Evil Within spent the first two hours killing almost any suspense the game could have by completely screwing up any mechanics it tries to implement. Like, there was a point at about Chapter 4 that I started having fun with it. That ended when I got to Chapter 5. There are 15 chapters in the game.

And then it got even worse with the beginning of chapter 6

Evil Within is a bad game

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Beyond Earth feels in some major ways like it was developed alongside Vanilla Civ 5, without the benefit of the experience they had after working on two expansions.

I enjoy it, much like I did Vanilla Civ 5, but it's definitely a bit of a weird game that feels a bit lacking.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I got the Destiny Expansion Pass in with the bundle when it released and am regretting it. I haven't touched Destiny in 2 weeks. I've been lucky and have theoretical level 30 gear. I'm 27 and am gated by the maddening grind of running around in circles doing nothing but gathering planetary resources to level up the gear that would get me to 30.

Everything else in the game you earn by just playing the game. In the end though, to advance, your only option is the equivalent of going out and picking daisies.

If Brad has stopped playing I can totally relate.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Evil Within is in Redbox which is the perfect place for it

I still wanna try it because I can't get a bead on it

"Polarizing games" is the theme for this year, I'd say

Some people really love Destiny, Evil Within, and Alien Isolation and some people really REALLY hate them

And it's more split down the middle than usual

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Evil Within is in Redbox which is the perfect place for it

I still wanna try it because I can't get a bead on it

"Polarizing games" is the theme for this year, I'd say

Some people really love Destiny, Evil Within, and Alien Isolation and some people really REALLY hate them

And it's more split down the middle than usual

I mean, if you like horror games, yeah, go in and play some Evil Within. It has oodles of atmosphere. I just spent too much time fighting the actual mechanics of the game.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Evil Within has this really weird thing where it has amazing atmosphere, but terrible shooting controls and it insists on throwing you against waves and waves of enemies where you have almost no ammo and the enemies take several shots to kill unless you hit them dead center in the head.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Evil Within has this really weird thing where it has amazing atmosphere, but terrible shooting controls and it insists on throwing you against waves and waves of enemies where you have almost no ammo and the enemies take several shots to kill unless you hit them dead center in the head.

To be fair, if you found yourself constantly fighting streams of enemies, it's probably because you missed something the game very poorly explained that would have allowed you to bypass that.

For instance, I didn't know I could hide under cars untill chapter 13.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Evil Within is a very... confused game. Like, it feels like it wants to be RE4 again, but it also wants to be one of those "modern" horror games that has you avoiding enemies instead of fighting them. And the designers were fighting and tried to cram both in there.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

To be fair, if you found yourself constantly fighting streams of enemies, it's probably because you missed something the game very poorly explained that would have allowed you to bypass that.

The beginning of Chapter 6 is a literal wave-based point defense scenario. You can't avoid it, it throws you right into it. Same with the midpoint of Chapter 5.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

The beginning of Chapter 6 is a literal wave-based point defense scenario. You can't avoid it, it throws you right into it. Same with the midpoint of Chapter 5.

Chapter 12 has one, too. Actually, I think it has two.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I don't see the Destiny DLC as any worse value than any other DLC in similar genres. The value is on par with what you'd get from a lot of shooter or RPG DLCs.

I think the real question (and to tie this to GiantBomb, what Jeff would probably argue) is whether the additional content fixes the fundamental problems that Destiny has, which is its overall sparseness.

Speaking as someone who enjoys the game and will buy the DLC, the answer is "probably not."

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Evil Within is a very... confused game. Like, it feels like it wants to be RE4 again, but it also wants to be one of those "modern" horror games that has you avoiding enemies instead of fighting them. And the designers were fighting and tried to cram both in there.

I can see that, especially with Mikami talking about women in games, and how he's always wanted to make women with purpose in games and not just useless wastes of space, and how he's always fighting with his team over this sort of thing, and then I hear Evil Within has a lot of the issues he says he doesn't like.

steam_sig.png

• Options

Chapter 12 has one, too. Actually, I think it has two.

Yeah I didn't get that far. I gave up at the Chapter 6 one.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I don't see the Destiny DLC as any worse value than any other DLC in similar genres. The value is on par with what you'd get from a lot of shooter or RPG DLCs.

I think the real question (and to tie this to GiantBomb, what Jeff would probably argue) is whether the additional content fixes the fundamental problems that Destiny has, which is its overall sparseness.

Speaking as someone who enjoys the game and will buy the DLC, the answer is "probably not."
    If you're looking to DLC to really fundamentally improve on an entire game then you're doing wrong. The only game I can think of where that happened is Civ V.

If Destiny is going to be fixed at its core that's a base-level patch, not a content pack.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

The issue with the DLC and its price is the single-player in Destiny is anemic, and the multiplayer stuff is nothing but a grind. So this is double the price of most other games' DLC, and adds a whopping 3 (probably, judging on the rest of the singleplayer missions in the game) short singleplayer missions to an already tiny game.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    jclast wrote: »

If you're looking to DLC to really fundamentally improve on an entire game then you're doing wrong. The only game I can think of where that happened is Civ V.

If Destiny is going to be fixed at its core that's a base-level patch, not a content pack.

I basically agree. Destiny reminds me a lot of Diablo 3 at its launch--a game with strong fundamentals but some really glaring problems. Reaper of Souls made D3 into an amazing experience, and it took two damned years and a change of the guard to get to that point. I think Destiny can get there too, but it would take some pretty major stuff, and it's obviously not going to happen with one DLC pack.

I'm not going to defend Destiny, in part because I don't have to--lots of people play and enjoy it, in part because it is a community-focused game, and the PA community playing it is awesome. Playing with a bunch of other people goes a long way to bridge the gap over the chasm of bullshit. That means something to me, but it might not to others and that's fine.

But that doesn't mean I have blinders about it either. Brad probably doesn't either, but he likes these kinds of games and will probably make a pitch for Destiny in some capacity. But in the end, as I would in his position, in GOTY talks he's going to acquiesce to the consensus that on top of Destiny's solid bones, and hidden by its beautiful skin, there are some really ugly guts that can't be ignored.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I really feel like with Destiny they reached a certain point and said, "Ok, we have a base game here, Team B will polish it up for release while Team A begins working on fleshing out what we want to add in Destiny 2."

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options

I can see that, especially with Mikami talking about women in games, and how he's always wanted to make women with purpose in games and not just useless wastes of space, and how he's always fighting with his team over this sort of thing, and then I hear Evil Within has a lot of the issues he says he doesn't like.

Then somebody went seriously over his head, because Kidman is nothing but a giant waste of space. Like, you have to save her twice in the first three times she shows up. She does nothing at all for 13 chapters.

In fact, the most infuriating thing about her is the time she is a follower. Joseph and her will show up and follow you around at certain points. With Joseph, he has a life bar that you need to run over and hold A to refill, but he doesn't really die. With Kidman, she's just straight up invincible, no life bar, no anything.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I just needed to come to grips with Destiny being a different game than what I wanted from Bungie. The base mechanics are great, and I wanted them in an FPS campaign. Bungie instead put them in a very light MMO. I still have fun when I play, but it's not the game I wanted, and ultimately that's my fault for not doing my research.

That's still how I play it as I have no desire to run through the raid as MMO mechanics are pretty gross to me. Strikes are, for me, the best missions. Just the right length and I don't have to attend a lecture before I can be a competent member of the team.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Then somebody went seriously over his head, because Kidman is nothing but a giant waste of space. Like, you have to save her twice in the first three times she shows up. She does nothing at all for 13 chapters.

In fact, the most infuriating thing about her is the time she is a follower. Joseph and her will show up and follow you around at certain points. With Joseph, he has a life bar that you need to run over and hold A to refill, but he doesn't really die. With Kidman, she's just straight up invincible, no life bar, no anything.

Not only that, but after you rescue her, she spends the chapter running around in a see through white shirt with black bra!

You failed there, Mikami!

LxX6eco.jpg
This discussion has been closed.