As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    It's probably a couple of factors why people are such homers for Cara joining GB.

I like her writing, but more importantly, she seems to "fit" well with the rest of the staff, if you want to argue with that GB culture in mind the way people do about Dan. Also she speaks Japanese and is probably one of the hottest voices in freelance right now. If she wasn't a foreigner, she'd have the job already

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm the old man in the room, but after reading a few of Cara Ellison's articles, I really don't understand the obsession.

Yeah I don't remember anything particularly interesting about her any of the times she has been around either.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    It's probably a couple of factors why people are such homers for Cara joining GB.

I like her writing, but more importantly, she seems to "fit" well with the rest of the staff, if you want to argue with that GB culture in mind the way people do about Dan. Also she speaks Japanese and is probably one of the hottest voices in freelance right now. If she wasn't a foreigner, she'd have the job already

Assuming she'd want it. Which is probably a huge assumption, given what she does isn't really what GB does. I'd really enjoy for her to be on GB full time, would make GBEast much more awesome, but I just don't see it happening.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    There's a handful of factors

- They need to finally hire a woman, ANYBODY that's not a straight white guy because they are currently 100% comprised of those
    - Cara has talked about now that her Embed With project is ending she needs a new job, and she'd like to actually have stable employment for once instead of her usual work, which is very much a day-by-day sort of thing
    - Cara has also been a guest on Giant Bomb East stuff and has a nice rapport with Vinny and Alex
    - She would very very easily slide into the role Patrick held of bringing lesser-known games into the spotlight

I would be shocked if they weren't actively trying to bring her on board, she is absolutely a perfect fit

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    They don't absolutely need a woman. They absolutely need whoever is the best fit for the job req they opened. If that happens to be a woman then that's great. If not, they still ought to hire whoever best fits their need.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm not having this argument for like the 80th time

I think they 100% do, they are the least diverse major games site on the entire internet and it's kind of embarrassing

You can think that's not as important, and I will not stop you, because this argument goes nowhere but in circles

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Nah, after this last year?

They absolutely need a woman.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'm not arguing that diversity is unimportant. I'm arguing that fulfilling business needs is more important. For example, assuming 2 equally qualified people apply for the position except for that the man speaks Japanese and the woman does not they absolutely should hire the man because they felt that fluency in Japanese was important enough to put in the job req.

And it's not like they never have women on their shows or that CBSi is a male-only workplace. If they could snipe Mary Kish from GameSpot that'd be pretty great (for me) because I think she fits in well, but if what she brings to the table isn't what GiantBomb needs then she wouldn't be a good hire.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    well yes

if a woman who does not meet the job qualifications applies they shouldn't hire them

i don't think that's what anyone was saying

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    well yes

if a woman who does not meet the job qualifications applies they shouldn't hire them

i don't think that's what anyone was saying

Then we should stop saying things like "they absolutely need a woman" when based on the job req we have a list of what CBSi thinks are the real list of required attributes in their new hire.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if you're choosing to read the posts as

"i hope a woman is picked above all the qualified applicants"

instead of

"among all the qualified applicants, i hope a woman is picked"

i dunno man, that's on you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I'm reading it that way because that's how it is being written. Gender doesn't matter, and no two applicants are going to come in as ideal candidates with only their gender to differentiate them. To consider the gender of the applicant at all is counter to good hiring process.

Further, diversity (at least in the corporate sense) covers more than color of skin, gender, etc.. It also includes things like unique past experience an applicant brings to the job.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    um, diversity means more than hiring a woman who is probably also white

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I'm reading it that way because that's how it is being written. Gender doesn't matter

Yeah, that's right!
    #lifeunderarock

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    I'm reading it that way because that's how it is being written. Gender doesn't matter

Yeah, that's right!
    #lifeunderarock

That was the first thing posted by @Mr. G. He said "They need to finally hire a woman, ANYBODY that's not a straight white guy because they are currently 100% comprised of those".

So I'm pretty confident I read that as written. Further, GB is a small subset of CBSi. Gamespot is also part of CBSi. Being on a small all-male team doesn't make CBSi, as a whole, full of exclusively straight white guys. They are what, 10 people, out of the entire company?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Presumably she applied, so I think she wants the job.

Also, let's not get into this circle jerk again

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Presumably she applied, so I think she wants the job.

Also, let's not get into this circle jerk again

Then I hope she gets it - it sounds like she's well-qualified for the job.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Watching Dan play Stranglehold reminds me of what I had HOPED Max Payne 3 would be.

• Options
    Max Payne 3 was great. Apart from the story stuff.

The multiplayer was awesome.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    It doesn't matter who they hire. There will be a portion of their fanbase that will be pissed off about it regardless.

If you're just interested in ticking off checkboxes for diversity's sake, I'm sure they can find a disabled, mixed-minority race, transgendered gamer with ADHD who's fresh out of rehab out there somewhere. ALL THE CHECKBOXES!

/sarcasm (because it wasn't already obvious)

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    is there something ridiculous about hiring a disabled mixed race trans person with adhd and a past drug problem

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    is there something ridiculous about hiring a disabled mixed race trans person with adhd and a past drug problem

If they fill the requirements for the position, no.

If you're only hiring them because you want diversity points, yes?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    that's not what's going on here

good talk tho

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    man you guys are going to be super pissed when they hire another white dude

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Wow, we're almost at 100 pages already! It doesn't feel like that long ago that a new thread was created, especially for a thread about Giant Bomb.

• Options
    dan ryckert exists beyond race, beyond gender

dan ryckert is a cartoon drawn by the hand of america

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Nah, one of the job requirements should be being different than the rest of the cast as to bring something new to the table.

Being a different gender or having a different cultural background is definitely a plus. An actually bullet point to be taken into consideration.

If two people applied with the same qualifications, except one was a straight white dude that knew German but was exactly like Brad, and the other was a woman who knew only English but had her own take on things the woman should get the job.

She'd be more qualified.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Nah, one of the job requirements should be being different than the rest of the cast as to bring something new to the table.

Being a different gender or having a different cultural background is definitely a plus. An actually bullet point to be taken into consideration.

If two people applied with the same qualifications, except one was a straight white dude that knew German but was exactly like Brad, and the other was a woman who knew only English but had her own take on things the woman should get the job.

She'd be more qualified.

You literally cannot do what you're describing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options

She'd be more qualified.

You literally cannot do what you're describing.

Why not? Is speaking German an actual benefit to the job moreso than being someone who brings something new to the personality set of this cult of personality site?

No I don't.
  • Options
    You can't discriminate based on race, sex, creed, religion, color, or national origin. Giving somebody an edge because of where they are from (the cultural background or nation of origin you mentioned) is discrimination. Considering gender is, obviously, introducing discrimination based on gender.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    You can't discriminate based on race, sex, creed, religion, color, or national origin. Giving somebody an edge because of where they are from (the cultural background or nation of origin you mentioned) is discrimination. Considering gender is, obviously, introducing discrimination based on gender.

Well I don't care. They should absolutely choose the more qualified applicant, which in that case would be the woman.

No I don't.
  • Options

Well I don't care. They should absolutely choose the more qualified applicant, which in that case would be the woman.

2791433.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

2791433.jpg

For a job based around personality I'm pretty sure that is.

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    giant bomb should not feel compelled to hire a man if there's a better qualified woman available

I don't think cara ellison is the hired news editor because she doesn't really break news

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Your new News Editor:

Dave Lang

• Options
    Your new News Editor:

Dave Lang's Horrible Head

No!

NOOOOOO!!!!

No I don't.
  • Options
    It's really not. CBS Interactive is an equal opportunity employer. They have to follow the laws when it comes to non-discrimination.
    http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The video game industry isn't really a "breaking news" kind of industry because more often than not the corporations decide when they want something to be news. Half the leaks ("leaks") out there are part of a marketing strategy.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    BREAKING
    First you dive, then you kick

This discussion has been closed.