As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

urban [chat]

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    There's a big difference between "the city" in the sense of a town of 50,000+ people and "the city" in terms of NYC.

I loved living in Chicago and San Fran but the few times I visited NYC I got the sense that it was not for me.

I think I'd quite like Boston or NYC, though the weather would irritate me. Boulder's delightful, though.

Boulder is awesome. My bro lives there doing very Boulder things (teaches piano lessons, plays jazz gigs at local venues, runs a summer music, dance & yoga camp for 6-12 year olds, etc.) I always have a blast when I come visit.

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I have to admit I haven't gotten out of this place nearly enough in the past month. Largely because, living with my best friends, most nights I am hanging out with them here or having other people over to spend time with us here.

On the upside, this apartment is a fantastic place to be trapped for long amounts of time.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I definitely feel I would not like to live anywhere smaller than San Francisco in the near future.

Chicago feels perfect for me right now. If I were somewhere a bit more suburban I would start to feel suffocated pretty quickly.

I may be relatively strange, though, in that I feel much more comfortable being surrounded by people, even strangers.

My parents, who still live in the town I grew up in that has exactly 0 streetlights, always talked about how city living is awful because you have no privacy because it's so crowded.

I've actually found the exact opposite to be true. There are so many people in the city they just don't give a fuck about you whereas, in small towns, your business becomes everybody else's pretty quickly.

It depends what kind of privacy they want.

It's probably talking about "sitting outside and relaxing and having a drink" when most old people talk about it. If you do something like that in NYC, you'll probably be arrested, or you'll definitely have people going "what the fuck?"

1) Many buildings have rooftops. They are perfect for this.

2) many outdoor / sidewalk cafes on slower streets give you nice scenery, some relative calm, and a place to sip on a tasty beverage.

I am not knocking the porch - I enjoy my time on the porch with my dad and some whiskey quite a lot - but there are most definitely replacements for it here. Not the same, but good in their own way.

I think the disconnect here is what people would consider "nice scenery"

Looking at an asphalt and concrete path for, at least me, would be annoying. Looking at my fire pit and maybe have a neighbor hang out and talk to for a bit is a bit better. I think that's what most country bumpkins mean when they say "privacy". But I dunno, both have their ups and downs with regards to privacy depending on what they really mean.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I definitely feel I would not like to live anywhere smaller than San Francisco in the near future.

Chicago feels perfect for me right now. If I were somewhere a bit more suburban I would start to feel suffocated pretty quickly.

I may be relatively strange, though, in that I feel much more comfortable being surrounded by people, even strangers.

My parents, who still live in the town I grew up in that has exactly 0 streetlights, always talked about how city living is awful because you have no privacy because it's so crowded.

I've actually found the exact opposite to be true. There are so many people in the city they just don't give a fuck about you whereas, in small towns, your business becomes everybody else's pretty quickly.

It's probably talking about "sitting outside and relaxing and having a drink" when most old people talk about it. If you do something like that in NYC, you'll probably be arrested, or you'll definitely have people going "what the fuck?"

They are plenty of places to sit outside and have a drink. If you're doing it illegally, they'll give you a ticket but not arrest you (usually; it depends on neighborhood, your skin color, and how far away from the quota they are for the month).

Anyway. My parents never specified what kind of privacy they meant but they don't drink. I think it's just the general idea that, because you live in a small town in the middle of the woods, that you enjoy a certain degree of privacy. To some extent, sure, but this is also largely illusory since the few people around tend to be acutely aware of your presence.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    nuke the whales

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    nuke the whales

gotta nuke somethin'

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

2) many outdoor / sidewalk cafes on slower streets give you nice scenery, some relative calm, and a place to sip on a tasty beverage.

I am not knocking the porch - I enjoy my time on the porch with my dad and some whiskey quite a lot - but there are most definitely replacements for it here. Not the same, but good in their own way.

Looking at an asphalt and concrete path for, at least me, would be annoying. Looking at my fire pit and maybe have a neighbor hang out and talk to for a bit is a bit better. I think that's what most country bumpkins mean when they say "privacy". But I dunno, both have their ups and downs with regards to privacy depending on what they really mean.

I think you underestimate how beautiful the scenery of a city can be.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    nuke the whales

Gotta nuke somethin'

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Why doesn't apple push sound out of the displayport?

The architecture is right there! and it would make my job a lot easier!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ... that's a vista off the Appalachian trail.

edit: and the hike we took to get there was pretty damn interesting and naturey.

Sorry, hard to tell, I don't know trail like the back of my hand. Just from a cursory glance it looked like you skedooted to suburbia and got on a small trail that overlooked the farmland portion of it. But yeah there are some nice areas like that near you I'm sure. I'm litereally surrounded by it.

For you? Going out to eat and having a thousand choices is amazing.

For me? Going out to nature-stuff and having a thousand choices is amazing.

Different strokes.

This is why me, personally, strike out against those people that go "everyone should live in a city, you're all dumb if you don't and making the earth suck rabblerabblerable" (we all know who I'm talking about there I hope).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    it's simple math bowen

we have more culture

you have more rocks and sticks

• Options
    wanker bankers

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

I think you underestimate how beautiful the scenery of a city can be.

I've been to the city before. It smells, the sounds annoy me, and I'd rather not live there and probably wouldn't enjoy it.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy my time there. It was different, enjoyable, I had fun doing what I wanted to do, but when that thing was done I didn't want to stay there.

The options were great though, we don't have many. Like if my girlfriend wanted to get her animes in, we'd be shit out of luck, there's no animes here.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    it's simple math bowen

we have more culture

you have more rocks and sticks

Hold on now, I was totally siding with you city folk until this post

Never underestimate the value of rocks and sticks

Nor the cultural experiences one can have in a place flush with said rocks and sticks

#JustNativeThings

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    This is why me, personally, strike out against those people that go "everyone should live in a city, you're all dumb if you don't and making the earth suck rabblerabblerable" (we all know who I'm talking about there I hope).

d6f368bf91c1caa29ac563ba7d7146fa.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    a thousand choices in nature

oh cool a rock

oh cool another rock

oh cool this rock has dirt on it

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    good morning bros

919UOwT.png
  • Options

oh cool a rock

oh cool another rock

AND THIS ONE HAS A POISONOUS SLUG UNDERNEATH IT

GUYS LET'S POKE IT WITH A STICK

• Options
    See, in the city I live in an animes.

That's how much better the city is.

• Options
    hahaha

i'm enjoying how smug and "i don't give a shit about this" Salmond is being on Question Time

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Dammit city people you had a point until you started pretending like nature was valueless

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    fk ronya that made me laugh

• Options
    hahahahaha

"talking about what policy we'd have is a bit boring"

no shit, ukip

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    good morning bros

what's so morning about it

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    anyway the point is not so much CITY CULTURALLY SUPERIOR ÜRBANMENSCHEN but rather that these have costs and cities are less costly than close-to-rural suburbia

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    one thing i do like about going home, if there is even one thing, is that the silence, compared to the city anyway, is audible

like, i have so much ambient noise that i just tune out because you have to, but once you're out of it

you're like whoa

i'm listening to silence

and then you accidentally spill the bong and everyone yells at you and i feel like i am back home in the city again

Vanguard on
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Dammit city people you had a point until you started pretending like nature was valueless

pretending?

• Options
    the furore is just the (sigh) predictable culture war around policy choices

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    anyway the point is not so much CITY CULTURALLY SUPERIOR ÜRBANMENSCHEN but rather that these have costs and cities are less costly than close-to-rural suburbia

If it were up to me, I'd totally go bearded mountain man.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    the furore is just the (sigh) predictable culture war around policy choices

It's okay ronya, we'll get all those country-folk stuffed into arcologies one way or another

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    part of me finds it incredibly frustrating to live somewhere like nyc with a mere-mortal budget

• Options

oh cool a rock

oh cool another rock

I sure am glad that there's no one around to see me jerk it on this tree

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Hey, narwhals back.

Sup?

• Options
    Although come to think of it I can't think of the last time I really noticed a tree

I mean I have to assume I've passed a few recently, but

The last time I know I for sure saw one was Thanksgiving

There must be, like, dozens on my walk-commute

But they are city trees

Doing their city tree thing

I don't like to stare

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    part of me finds it incredibly frustrating to live somewhere like nyc with a mere-mortal budget

i did it for like the first two years and now i am better off but i also get a large amount of perks from my job

which is great! because it makes this thing i do for a large chunk of time each week actually enjoyable

• Options
    People who prefer living in the country to the city should be dragged out into the streets and shot in front of their boulders.

CONFROM

shit i mean conform

CONFORM

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »

I think the key to NYC is being part of an incredibly wealthy family (so you have a fallback option), or, at least be upper middle class so you won't be too fucked if you get let go and need to crash in your parent's basement.

If you're a poor it's pretty much the worst.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    good morning bros

what's so morning about it

it is just generally sad vari how can u b so insensitiv

919UOwT.png
  • Options

oh cool a rock

oh cool another rock

I sure am glad that there's no one around to see me jerk it on this tree

*focuses binoculars*

• Options
    the key to living in nyc is to not lick people on the subway

if you can manage that you'll be ok

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.