As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rocket [chat]coon

LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
What's this? [chat] is in peril from an absentee fire princess? Who will save us from WORKING? Even now the minions of responsibility surround us. But what is that small furry thing over there?
tumblr_m4chjjp1Ji1qzizmho1_1280.jpg

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT WE'RE GONNA DO, LADY

2J4eVVrl.jpg

4174768-7369980887-tumbl.jpg

guardians-of-the-galaxy-marvel-now-3-kablooey-in-your-face.jpg

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN RESUME CHAT

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    @desc we need to set a date for waifumas

the day we celebrate the joy and spirit of waifus

sharing waifus with one another, singing waifu carols

"on the first day of waifumas, Santa desc gave to me,
    a fox-masked waifu named Megumi~"

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So a brand new Twitter account with a Russian name tells me I'm wrong about some random thing I tweeted about the totally-notRussian submersible Swedish navy was hunting. It's the one and only tweet from that account.

Were I conspiratorially minded I'd call it a Russian disinformation op.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So what show should I invest in next? I'm thinking The Walking Dead.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    god damn, this day sucks.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Fuck it is only Thursday.

hqdefault.jpg

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I found the sickest gym in New Orleans

It's awesome

And I think my necks not hurt just bruised

poo
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    sharing waifus with one another

GASP

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    So a brand new Twitter account with a Russian name tells me I'm wrong about some random thing I tweeted about the totally-notRussian submersible Swedish navy was hunting. It's the one and only tweet from that account.

Meanwhile, 4000 miles away:

"What are the odds! I sign up for Twitter on a whim, and the very first thing I see is somebody being wrong about Russia! Truly this is a sign that I must respond. Aren't we lucky that we live in an age where knowledge can be shared instantly, wherever you are?"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I found the sickest gym in New Orleans

It's awesome

And I think my necks not hurt just bruised

has anyone said "Bet you I know where you got those shoes" yet?

Ludious on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I've to go in to fill in a time sheet for the extra hours I worked this month

Woo extra money

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

I dunno, saying you're wrong is a pretty compelling argument.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    sharing waifus with one another

GASP

I'm polywaifuist

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

"What are the odds! I sign up for Twitter on a whim, and the very first thing I see is somebody being wrong about Russia! Truly this is a sign that I must respond. Aren't we lucky that we live in an age where knowledge can be shared instantly, wherever you are?"

I called the NS Concord (the oil tanker that decided to park in the middle of the Baltic) a Russian ship.

"WHARGHARBL it's a LIBERIAN SHIP"

Oh sure, it's registered in Liberia. The owners are very much Russian.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So many furreiners applying today.

Try again when you're a real canuckian plz.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    The first [danger] is Silliness--the silliness of the doctrinaire. It is nothing strange to discover this in movements which have passed somewhat suddenly from the phase of midnight high-flown talk into the field of action. We do not distinguish, at first, between the color of the rhetoric with which we have won a people's assent and the dull substance of the truth of our message. There is nothing insincere in the transition. Words ought to be a little wild--for they are the assault of thoughts upon the unthinking. But when the seats of power and authority have been attained, there should be no more poetic license.

We have, therefore, to count the cost down to the penny which our rhetoric has despised. An experimental society has need to be far more efficient than an old-established one, if it is to survive safely. It will need all its economic margin for its own proper purposes, and can afford to give nothing away to soft-headedness or doctrinaire impracticability. When a doctrinaire proceeds to action, he must, so to speak, forget his doctrine. For those who in action remember the letter will probably lose what they are seeking.

this is neat, if rather awkwardly-phrased

it's relevant to snark and/or smarm but not to the present thread of discussion so Imma post it here nayway so you can observe its neatness

aRkpc.gif
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Liberians have their own ships? I knew those late book fees were bullshit

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that small laboratory websites are universally hilarious, because they foremost represent what one nerdy old PI who doesn't understand web design happens to think is cool.

Also they are updated like once every 10 years.

The legacy of 90s internet lives on in them; it's all low resolution gifs of spinning protein structures and quotes that are trying way too hard to make their research sound awesome.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I called the NS Concord (the oil tanker that decided to park in the middle of the Baltic) a Russian ship.

During my sailing days, I pointed out a strange flag on a ship to my skipper when we were crossing the English Channel.

His response: "Any old piece of shit ship can be registered in Liberia because they don't care about safety regulations."

I guess it's also useful when you're pissing other countries off :)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that small laboratory websites are universally hilarious, because they foremost represent what one nerdy old PI who doesn't understand web design happens to think is cool.

The legacy of 90s internet lives on in them; it's all low resolution gifs of spinning protein structures and quotes that are trying way too hard to make their research sound awesome.

i have a friend who makes these websites as art projects

he laments the loss of autoplay midi like whoa

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

nuh uh

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    The low-level 147S flights were "exciting" by the standards of robot warfare. One suffered a malfunction in its flight-control computer and decided to fly at an altitude of 150 feet (45 m) instead of 1,500 feet (450 m) as planned. The drone made it back safely, though photo interpreters were startled to find out that the images included a picture of a power line tower, taken from underneath the power lines. The picture was posted on the unit bulletin board, with a caption provided by the commander: "The FAA frowns on this bullshit!"

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

how much do you value your time

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I swear to god if I make it through today without tearing one of my co-workers a new hole through which to spew their crap it will be a miracle.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    I wish making games was easy and not hard.

I want to make tons of great games but I have no time next to the one dumb game I make.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Agents of SHIELD.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My manager just used the Batman slaps Robin picture to remind us about filling out our timesheets.

I am watching Agents of SHIELD with Chelle at night and it gets better and better. The first few episodes are kinda..whatever..but it gets pretty damn good.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I wish making games was easy and not hard.

I want to make tons of great games but I have no time next to the one dumb game I make.

If making games was easy, there'd be no point to it...

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Why do private investigators get to design websites for small laboratories?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    In some ways I am glad Tim Cook came out of the closet because the way he did it was pretty classy, but also it will make the people who have been demanding that he come out of the closet to shut up about it.

I am super annoyed at the slice of the population who feels like it is a thing he must do. Same with Anderson Cooper or any other front-facing gay/bi public figure.

If you were an A lister in a heterosexual relationship with a no-name, there is absolutely ZERO fucking pressure to force you to talk about your relationship. None.

And while Cook was never hiding it (his partner showed up with him to apple and other social functions, is in the crowd at keynotes, etc), he never made a stink about it because it isn't anyone's business whatsoever.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Vanguard wrote: »

Professor's websites are a special kind of 90s internet, though.

Like they're clearly trying to look respectable and professional, but no one in the lab is capable of it and/or cares enough.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ludious has changed a fundamental law of the universe and OP'd a [chat] with no Bill Murray.

Things.
    Have.
    Changed.

I'm scared. Hold me.

Ludious wrote: »
    Liberians have their own ships? I knew those late book fees were bullshit

hey ludious after riding on the evelator want to go get some sghetti for dinner

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014

Like they're clearly trying to look respectable and professional, but no one in the lab is capable of it and/or cares enough.

as a 90s college student, professors didn't really have websites. if they did they were hosted by geocities and had fuck all useful class related information. We also had to walk through the quad uphill both ways to get to the dining hall.

Deebaser on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

Why do private investigators get to design websites for small laboratories?

Little known fact, but the title Private Dick lets you do what ever you damn well please. It's covered under the John Shaft Act.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

God

Don't be so detailed. Look at the pretty flag and not the ownership! Mother Russia commands it!!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    In some ways I am glad Tim Cook came out of the closet because the way he did it was pretty classy, but also it will make the people who have been demanding that he come out of the closet to shut up about it.

I am super annoyed at the slice of the population who feels like it is a thing he must do. Same with Anderson Cooper or any other front-facing gay/bi public figure.

If you were an A lister in a heterosexual relationship with a no-name, there is absolutely ZERO fucking pressure to force you to talk about your relationship. None.

And while Cook was never hiding it (his partner showed up with him to apple and other social functions, is in the crowd at keynotes, etc), he never made a stink about it because it isn't anyone's business whatsoever.

It was a classy way for him to approach it though. At least acknowledging that him coming out might help make someone else's life a little easier

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

as a 90s college student, professors didn't really have websites. if they did they were hosted by geocities and had fuck all useful class related information. We also had to walk through the quad uphill both ways to get to the dining hall.

Living in Florida, the "walk uphill both ways" thing has always been inscrutable to me.

There is no "uphill" in Florida.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

Actually, it's about ethics in gaming journalism.

This discussion has been closed.