ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I think it's a big fat dumb.
    Oh hey you vote by just saying it now

nvm

BIG FAT DUMB

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Why we observe DST in the Northwest Territories is beyond me. For a period of a few weeks in July we have 24 hours of light.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    There needs to be a much angrier vote option for Anti-DST, my feelings on DST contain at least 4 swear words minimum

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Maybe it had it's purpose way back when, but in today's world, and with 24 hour work shifts (IE there's a lot more swing and mid shifters today then there was back in) I don't feel it does anything but confuse people and they're bodies.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    It really seems like our clock system really is off sync with the earth, even with DST, it feels like it's getting darker far earlier than what it used to as a kid.

I remember even in the winter, it'd never be dark at 3:30 in the fucking afternoon. If we didn't set the clocks back, it'd still be 4:30 darkness, that just seems... off still even. Seems like we should be pushing forward by 5 or so minutes every year to keep pace.

That's global warming for you.

:P

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The only impact DST ever had or will have on my life was making young kid me show up to church at the wrong time twice a year.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I think it's dumb, but I like it when the day is quite suddenly an hour longer. The novelty of that first week is always fun.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I regard daylight savings positively.
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Maybe it had it's purpose way back when, but in today's world, and with 24 hour work shifts (IE there's a lot more swing and mid shifters today then there was back in) I don't feel it does anything but confuse people and they're bodies.

I normally work until 11 PM Saturday, and then start work again at 6:30 AM Sunday. For this special weekend, I basically start work at 5:30 AM instead, so I probably won't sleep at all tonight. All I can think about today is how much I'm going to suffer physically the next two days. Ugh.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Big Fat Dumb

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm awake now. An hour later than normal.

Terrible system.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Fuck

Daylight

Savings

Time

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    In the United States, daylight savings time goes from March 8 to November 1. 238 days. 7 months, 24 days.

65% of the bloody year!

-5 GMT isn't Eastern "Standard" Time anymore, -4 is the goddamn standard. If you only spend 35% of the time in the "standard" time zone, it isn't the goddamn standard.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Had an 8am flight this morning. It was rough. Fuck this noise.

Only thing I miss about Arizona.

Big. Fat. Dumb.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So as expected, I'm pretty miserable right now at work. So tired.

I wish we could just stay on DST, forever. Never push the clocks back, and be done with this nonsense.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I went to bed early-ish last night. I adjusted all my clocks around 7PM, went to bed around the new 10PM...

Woke up at 6:30.. dark out, my body wanted to go back to sleep. So it did a bit.Now it's 10.. and..ugh.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I will enjoy the extra light tonight. You monsters.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    THERE IS NO EXTRA LIGHT.

Biggest. Fattest. Dumbest.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Also, it takes, like, a month to adjust, so each day I feel like getting off of work early.

Woo

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    For some reason my phone's clock updated properly but my PC skipped ahead two hours

Easy there, sport

My mortal coil is not prepared for the rigours of such time travel

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    It's times like these where I'm glad I don't own a clock that isn't computerized and synced over the internet. I look at the time on my various rectangles and they seem vaguely wrong, but I defer to their wisdom so long as they all agree with each other.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Daylight savings time is bullshit!

My head hurts and I'm dehydrated. I feel slightly dizzy and my stomach is unsettled.

Screw daylight saving.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I got off work an hour early because of daylight savings time, haha nightwork!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I had an overnight job before. The spring time change was the worst. Had to get all the work done in an hour less of time. Sure as shit didn't get paid for a normal full night of work either.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I will enjoy the extra light tonight. You monsters.

YOU COULD HAVE ENJOYED IT LAST NIGHT

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular

I normally work until 11 PM Saturday, and then start work again at 6:30 AM Sunday. For this special weekend, I basically start work at 5:30 AM instead, so I probably won't sleep at all tonight. All I can think about today is how much I'm going to suffer physically the next two days. Ugh.

Did you just have a change of opinion over your original choice?

• Options
    Draygo wrote: »

Well, the OP was back during the other time change, so maybe that affected the original choice?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The switch is the worst

I'm pretty sure I have the flu right now

I'm not saying that the time switch caused the flu, I'm just saying that the time switch probably caused the flu.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Conclusive evidence from a scientists that time changes kill 80000 people a year.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The only thing negative about it for me is the cranky week of the loss of an hour of sleep. The extra daylight is a big bonus. Then again I am a M-F 9-5er.

• Options
    Draygo wrote: »

From the fall:
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    The only economic impact is that it kills people. There's an increase in heart attacks right after daylight savings time starts which does not have a corresponding decrease when our hour is given back without interest. There's an increase in the rate of fatal accidents in the spring and fall shifts. There are no benefits. Continuing daylight savings time is murder and it should be eliminated.

Just so you know, you have convinced me changing the clocks is wrong. I think I'd prefer Daylights Savings Time all year though (i.e. dark in the morning, sunny later).

I...I have changed a person's mind on the internet?

*pulls out list, scratches off item* VICTORY!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    BIG FAT DUMB

I hate it, the sheer gall of just going, "Nah, it's not early/late enough" and screwing over everybody's internal clocks (including babies and pets).
    Honestly, I feel that 12:00 noon ought to be when the sun is at its highest, and the time zones should be demarcated at 1/24th of the earth's diameter with some variation for local state/national boundaries.

It's like living in Roman Empire days, when the Emperor could just declare that there was another month and ruin the calendar for everybody.
    Okay, that's going a little overboard, but still! Universal constants shouldn't be at the whim of legislation.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I feel fine. no heart attacks so far

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don't even remember how I voted but it's nice to have the illusion of extra daylight.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Except now I'm tired and the fucking sun is still up.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Okay, that's going a little overboard, but still! Universal constants shouldn't be at the whim of legislation.

Ha, in Sunless Sea, their version of hell is pretty much that. A place where the laws of nature are no different from other laws, and change on a regular basis.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    my alarm clock is saying it's 6 AM, but that's fucking bullshit, it's five in the goddamn morning

this is the worst Monday of the year

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I voted because I like to vote on things.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    http://youtu.be/br0NW9ufUUw

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    It's dumb.

We live in an era where people have LED / CFL lights. I find it hard to believe that having people up and active longer during the peak of the summer days that there is any offset to the energy saved on lighting.

EDIT - Huh. Guess I am in support of it? I've come around to the dark (?light?) side?

zagdrob on