As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Echo wrote: »
    Welp, thanks for tossing me into a game just as it finishes and I get zero xp. :rotate:

It astonishes me that some sort of "Stop trying to fill empty play spots if the game timer is under ~90 seconds or one team is about to fulfill their victory condition" feature isn't standard in multiplayer game matchmaking now.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Welp, thanks for tossing me into a game just as it finishes and I get zero xp. :rotate:

It astonishes me that some sort of "Stop trying to fill empty play spots if the game timer is under ~90 seconds or one team is about to fulfill their victory condition" feature isn't standard in multiplayer game matchmaking now.

Eehhh... I think filling a game for next round takes priority over the frustration of 'game just ended'.

What I mean is:

Game is about to end (via timer, let's say). Someone leaves. If the matchmaker excludes that game from the list of joinable games, someone will be in the 'looking for match screen'. 20 seconds pass and that game's new round starts. It opens up for matchmaking. Someone joins at the start of the game, instead of at the end of a previous game, and the time they had to wait to start playing is the same 20 seconds.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Heh, one of Zenyatta's emotes summons his extra arms for clapping, and then he fistbumps one of them.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Kaneski wrote: »

Eehhh... I think filling a game for next round takes priority over the frustration of 'game just ended'.

What I mean is:

Game is about to end (via timer, let's say). Someone leaves. If the matchmaker excludes that game from the list of joinable games, someone will be in the 'looking for match screen'. 20 seconds pass and that game's new round starts. It opens up for matchmaking. Someone joins at the start of the game, instead of at the end of a previous game, and the time they had to wait to start playing is the same 20 seconds.

Honestly I'd rather wait because usually the reason a spot opens up in those kind of games is someone is on a badly losing team and doesn't want to waste their time waiting for the inevitable. It's also generally a really bad feeling to join a game and immediately lose.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    3480 xp Zenyatta win
    2850 xp Zenyatta loss

PotG in both games

I like Zenyatta.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    cptrugged wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    The amount of auto-aim in this game is a bit annoying.

Symmetra's beam, her turrets, Torbjorn's turret, and Winston's lightning gun are the only ones I can think of.

McCree and Reaper's ults, too. Oh and Zenyatta. And Soldier 76.

I'm not annoyed by anything else, though, as much as I am annoyed by Symmetra's turrets.

Manageable once you know where they are, but it's obnoxious to die from behind almost as soon as you step through a doorway.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Reaper's ult isn't so much autoaim as it is AoE damage, right?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Zenyatta's attacks are neither hitscan nor autoaimed. He does know where you are if you get his Orb of Discord, though.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Rius wrote: »
    Zenyatta's attacks are neither hitscan nor autoaimed. He does know where you are if you get his Orb of Discord, though.

I'm sorry, I've never played as him, but doesn't he lock onto you and then his projectiles home onto the lock?

That always seems to be what is going on in kill cams.

kedinik on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Kaneski wrote: »

What I mean is:

Honestly I'd rather wait because usually the reason a spot opens up in those kind of games is someone is on a badly losing team and doesn't want to waste their time waiting for the inevitable. It's also generally a really bad feeling to join a game and immediately lose.

Not an Overwatch video, but pertinent to the discussion: Battlefield Friends episode "Join the Battle"

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited February 2016

That's true.

Auto-aim in flavor, AoE in fact.

kedinik on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I'm sorry, I've never played as him, but doesn't he lock onto you and then his projectiles home onto the lock?

Nah, they're just good shots. Orb increases the damage to you and gives vision but, afaik, doesn't give aim assist.

That's true.

Auto-aim in flavor, AoE in fact.

It's not auto-aim in flavor, he's such a dark broody badass that he fires his shotguns so fast it's practically an AoE!

:p

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

No, the only thing that automatically locks onto you is Orb of Discord. Overwatch has a lot of lag tolerance and you're simply getting hit.

• Options
    Also Zenyatta's projectiles are pretty zippy.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Donnicton wrote: »

No, the only thing that automatically locks onto you is Orb of Discord. Overwatch has a lot of lag tolerance and you're simply getting hit.

Oh, ok.

"lag tolerance"? Is that the client predicting what might happen, and so what you see is not necessarily what does happen?

Or is it something else.

Now that you mention it, I do see a lot of kill cams where the shots don't seem to be aimed very near the guy who ends up dying any ways.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Also also it's pretty much impossible for Zenyatta to not look badass in the PotG.

• Options
    I apologize for besmirching the good name of Zenyatta.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Oh, ok.

"lag tolerance"? Is that the client predicting what might happen and so what you see is not necessarily what does happen?

Or is it something else.

Now that you mention it, I do see a lot of kill cams where the shots don't seem to be aimed very near the guy who ends up dying any ways.

Lag tolerance being like, if on their screen it looks like it hit but due to lag you were actually a bit off to the side, the game might still make that count.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=921u4j16DSk

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

Oh, ok.

"lag tolerance"? Is that the client predicting what might happen, and so what you see is not necessarily what does happen?

Or is it something else.

It just means the Server is doing some fudging of where someone is and where they appear to be for other players to make hits look right, this can cause some weirdness on getting hit when you think you were behind a wall but it almost always looks right for the one doing the shooting.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=921u4j16DSk

Zan-yat-tur.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Oh, ok.

"lag tolerance"? Is that the client predicting what might happen and so what you see is not necessarily what does happen?

Or is it something else.

Lag tolerance being like, if on their screen it looks like it hit but due to lag you were actually a bit off to the side, the game might still make that count.

Ah got it, thank you.

• Options
    Heh, one of Zenyatta's emotes summons his extra arms for clapping, and then he fistbumps one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P1Rx5r8iIw

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    "Oh sweet I got a cool heroic intro for Lucio! Awww yeah did an ult that won the game let's see that heroic play of the game!"

*clip of Widowmaker full charge bodyshotting two people then a third person with 2 hp left*

"..."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    "Oh sweet I got a cool heroic intro for Lucio! Awww yeah did an ult that won the game let's see that heroic play of the game!"

*clip of Widowmaker full charge bodyshotting two people then a third person with 2 hp left*

"..."

I had a good Genji moment. Flanked with with my ult, turned around a losing fight, scattered their team, eliminated 4 people, blew up a turret, took the objective.

But I guess it makes sense that play of the game went to the guy who capitalized on the situation by standing behind me and firing a lot of bullets into five enemies.

Still, :'(

Hard to account for intangibles.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Mmm, got my first play of the game with my Reinhardt Charge intro! But it didn't include me charging a dude into the water and killing us both, which I did like five times that game.

• Options
    I actually think whatever algorithm they got for potg is worse than in beta weekend. Like just so many awful "plays."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The algorithm is awful, it's way more awful than before. They've said they're looking into how to reward Supports better, and I certainly hope so. If I only take 2 deaths and do like 50% of our team's damage taken in healing, and if I amp damage our Soldier 76 who then ults for a quint, I should at least get mention in his PotG highlight.

• Options
    I learned today that you can kill Reaper by deflecting his ult back at him.

~The More You Know~

• Options
    I once reflected Widowmaker for a instant kill.

It'll never happen again

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    What's really neat is deflecting Widowmaker shots into other enemies.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    The algorithm is awful, it's way more awful than before. They've said they're looking into how to reward Supports better, and I certainly hope so. If I only take 2 deaths and do like 50% of our team's damage taken in healing, and if I amp damage our Soldier 76 who then ults for a quint, I should at least get mention in his PotG highlight.

I wonder if the proper way to do this, especially in such a team-focused game, is to make PotG a more overhead overhead view of what's happening on the localized battlefield, and then highlight all the people who were a big part of it. Basically do something like what I saw on Superbowl (and i don't normally watch football). Pause the action at the beginning. Circles the people who are going to make kills and use ults nad maybe draw arrows to the ones who will be affected. X out the ones who are gonna die. And then start the action. This might add an overall 5 or so seconds but will make a lot more people feel good about it. Of course, they'll probably have to take out the intro sequences for the individual characters to do this.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah, instead of trying to find something they can attribute to one specific person they should find something that was awesome and then point out who all was a part of it.

• Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    *Grumble grumble Beta invite grumble*

I've got the whole Crack addict thing going right now. I was in on the stress weekend invite, and ever since I got my free taste I've been itching for more. I haven't been this anxious for a game release in a LONG time. I devour the gameplay on youtube, I read the Reddits, and I casually mouse over the 'play' button in my B.Net launcher for a bit every time I log in to play Heros or Hearthstone.

Even used Overwatch as an excuse to justify a new 144hz monitor. I needed a new monitor anyway, but I went fancy.

I need more.. you guys aren't holding out on me right? Like, your gonna keep talking about your experiences in game? *scratch scratch* Tell us your epic warstories? Yeah?

*goes back to waiting for his tax return to blow $$ on the collectors statue version*

I also want to chime in - it would be neat to have PotG be extra dynamic Anime-bullshit-style replays - highlighting everyone involved with some crazy camera angles and whatnot - but I expect that's too complicated for what ultimately isn't that important of a feature.

Have the Cam start start from the First dead-guys perspective, super-slowmo while the cam zips around to the 'Pharah' about to pop her Ult, does a quick pan around her head to aim back down towards the devastation and then riding the last missle in on the last kill...

Or that crazy Gravbomb starting over Zarya's shoulder, following the bomb in, then cutting to overhead showing everyone getting pulled in, then cutting to the Hanzo over his shoulder and riding the dragon in for the kills, Spiraling the whole way!

It'll never happen, damn if I don't want it to be a thing.

Redspo0n on
    "Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Symmetra's beam, her turrets, Torbjorn's turret, and Winston's lightning gun are the only ones I can think of.

I'm not annoyed by anything else, though, as much as I am annoyed by Symmetra's turrets.

Manageable once you know where they are, but it's obnoxious to die from behind almost as soon as you step through a doorway.

Ah, I wasn't really looking at ults since they're so limited in use. Or the AoE ults like Reaper or D.Va.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    There is no way to join a game as a group yet right?

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

You can group with friends before you start a the matchmaker and then it will put all of you into the same match. Absolutely.

If that's what you mean.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

You can group with friends before you start a the matchmaker and then it will put all of you into the same match. Absolutely.

If that's what you mean.

Ya, I couldn't see anything anywhere to group up or create a party or anything. I guess I'll try to be less blind.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Hmm, I guess you don't get XP for practicing vs. the AI. Ah well.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

But ked, offscreen turret kills are life. They sustain me! Mmmmmm yes.

This discussion has been closed.