Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Interesting, and not entirely confidence-inspiring.

Overwatch is an odd case of the matchmaking problem.
    Compared to other team-based action games, a given player's ability to hard-carry is relatively limited. There's no real potential for snowballing.
    Because of this, Overwatch has the potential to provide incredibly consistent NPEs to solo-queue players.

At least they're aware of the problem and are brainstorming ways to attack it.

I'm sure they've been learning from all the sorts of things the HotS team has gone through with ranked queue matchmaking and groups as well as other MOBAs. Developers as a whole are still waiting for the right solution.

This is interesting to me, because I feel like the ability to carry in Overwatch is much greater than in HotS.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Interesting, and not entirely confidence-inspiring.

Overwatch is an odd case of the matchmaking problem.
    Compared to other team-based action games, a given player's ability to hard-carry is relatively limited. There's no real potential for snowballing.
    Because of this, Overwatch has the potential to provide incredibly consistent NPEs to solo-queue players.

At least they're aware of the problem and are brainstorming ways to attack it.

I'm sure they've been learning from all the sorts of things the HotS team has gone through with ranked queue matchmaking and groups as well as other MOBAs. Developers as a whole are still waiting for the right solution.

This is interesting to me, because I feel like the ability to carry in Overwatch is much greater than in HotS.

I was referring less to the ability to carry a team and more about that time the HotS matchmaker put your 5 man group against Cloud9 or another pro-team.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Jeff Kaplan will you be my dad?

let me know, I will file the paperwork

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The other day I mentioned Quake 3.
    Today I find Fatal1ty streaming Overwatch, playing 76 no less.
    His aim & tracking are only very slightly worse than that aimbot video on the previous page. It's horrifying. Can't imagine having to play against that.

I know this isn't the point you were making, but I just tried watching his stream and it was pretty boring. I like watching Seagull because he's an entertaining personality who engages with his viewers. Fatal1ty (I wonder how much he regrets that 1 these days) was just playing the game and not saying anything.

Well, there was somebody in here asking for just gameplay with game sounds and no commentary. Something different for everyone.

The guy is bigtime because he's good, not because he's a internet celebrity at streaming his gameplay.

When I'm way into a competitive game, I don't hardly say anything either, as opposed to when I did Let's Play stuff and talked quite a bit. But one is me playing for me, and the other is me playing for other people.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Man I am not good at this game.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The other day I mentioned Quake 3.
    Today I find Fatal1ty streaming Overwatch, playing 76 no less.
    His aim & tracking are only very slightly worse than that aimbot video on the previous page. It's horrifying. Can't imagine having to play against that.

I know this isn't the point you were making, but I just tried watching his stream and it was pretty boring. I like watching Seagull because he's an entertaining personality who engages with his viewers. Fatal1ty (I wonder how much he regrets that 1 these days) was just playing the game and not saying anything.

Well, there was somebody in here asking for just gameplay with game sounds and no commentary. Something different for everyone.

The guy is bigtime because he's good, not because he's a internet celebrity at streaming his gameplay.

When I'm way into a competitive game, I don't hardly say anything either, as opposed to when I did Let's Play stuff and talked quite a bit. But one is me playing for me, and the other is me playing for other people.

I understand that. I don't see what that has to do with anything.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The most interesting takeaway I got from that Jeff Kaplan dev update was that damn, games are incorporating a hell of a lot of psychology (beyond the basic "how do we get these people to pay us an obscene amount of money very frequently" kind of feedback loop) into their game design.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Holy crap what a rough night. I went from a comfortably positive win ratio to 15+ losses. Ouch.

Add the that every loot box has been a spray, voice lines, or repeats of sprays and voice lines I already have. I haven't gotten anything but sprays and voice lines in over a week.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    So it's been a pretty long while since I played Overwatch. Always felt a bit, yknow, jittery about the thought of playing it so I decide what the heck let's just do this.

Queue up, Offense on Numbani. Okay.

Enemy team stomps us so hard, they push us back to our spawn. We're on Offense.

Right. Well then. Leave game, take a minute, requeue.

Exact same team next game. Fuck. Immediately leave game.

Take a longer minute this time. Requeue.

"DEFEAT" flashes across the screen. The game's already over!

Right. Right. This is why I felt so hesitant about playing, now I remember. Yes.

I get that this is largely due to small playerbase. I get that, I understand. But constantly getting queued up against stompy tryhards and premades, when I'm probably the worst player in the world? That shit isn't fun. That shit isn't fun at all.

Really at a goddamn loss. I like this game. I think it's really fucking fun. But I have to wade through all this bullshit to actually get to the fun.

I dunno. Maybe I should just wait until launch. Ain't no room in a beta like this for a shit player like me, I suppose.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Just only play when you see me on Dibs!

Games better with friendz

• Options
    edited March 2016
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Just only play when you see me on Dibs!

Games better with friendz

I mean, I grouped with some PA dudes moments after I posted that.

But we got matched against the same tryhard team 5 games in a row and got stomped. They had a level 87 on their team, for fuck's sake. I'm only level 11.

I dunno...

It's just shit like this that is actively causing me to like Overwatch less and less. It's not fucking fun getting matched vs the same fucking team 5 games in a row and getting stomped 5 games in a row.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Yeah :( sucks.

I think some nights the matchmaker gets weird with the low game population. Since you were in a group maybe it wanted to put you against a group, any group at all.

• Options
    All I can really say is that before, I was 100% going to buy Overwatch on release. I thought it was great, I was hooked, I was in.

Playing it now, and getting all this bullshit thrown my way, and getting completely and utterly stomped game after game... Is making me reconsider. I'm probably not going to buy it now. What's the fucking point? I think it's fun but I'm completely god awful at it, I don't see myself ever really getting better, and I keep fucking losing games.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    You're in a small beta with a limited user pool at best. It's one thing if you don't believe you're any good at the game, but the rest of it isn't really the game's fault.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    1. Good matchmaking is hard in the best conditions. With a very small playerbase it's impossible, there just aren't enough people to make a balanced game without making people wait for ages.

2. Matchmaking algorithms take time to get right too. Putting the appropriate matchmaking handicap on premades for example is something that they haven't really done yet due to lack of data and other dev priorities.

3. They're actively working on a mode for more competitive games, something like Hero League in HotS presumably. So that will draw more of the tryhard groups away from random pub games.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Be sure to rate bad matches with a negative rating so they know the matchmaking for those games are bad.

In other news, enemy team wants to play lots of squishy DPS while on offense? Roadhog eats them up. Hook, shoot, punch, dead. Run away to heal. Repeat.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Be careful about rating a match negatively because if you do it enough it will start excluding those people from the already small pool of people for matchmaking.

Maybe more so before the most recent wave of invites, but I regularly find that one evening I lose repeatedly and then the next day I get a string of wins. After losing all but one match in 15 last night there's a very good chance I'll win repeatedly tonight.

Only a few of last nights losses were either total blowouts or down to terrible composition thanks to new players versus a team of veterans. I had far more losses that came down to the last 1-2 minutes and were a well balanced hard fought match. Sometimes a loss like that isn't a bad thing because everyone played well, but a series of well timed supers from the opposing team can make all the difference at the end of a match.

Cormac on
  • Options
    Devs have stated that rating a match negatively only provides them with the match data so they can hopefully analyze the match to determine why you rated it negatively. Rating players negatively is what prevents you from being matched with them again.

• Options
    That's good to know. I'll have to make better use of the rating then.

• Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    All I can really say is that before, I was 100% going to buy Overwatch on release. I thought it was great, I was hooked, I was in.

Playing it now, and getting all this bullshit thrown my way, and getting completely and utterly stomped game after game... Is making me reconsider. I'm probably not going to buy it now. What's the fucking point? I think it's fun but I'm completely god awful at it, I don't see myself ever really getting better, and I keep fucking losing games.

You will get better. And you'll figure out which heroes you're best with too. Don't be so hard on yourself!

• Options

You will get better. And you'll figure out which heroes you're best with too. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Yeah i 'm pretty shit at this game so far, but I picked up Zarya last night in my last game to see how she played. Ended up getting play of the game for an ult shot that drew in 4 of their team right next to the payload and I killed them all with a burst shot during overtime to win us the game

Even got a "Nice ult" in voice comms and 5 "likes" at the end for getting something like 14 kills total on top of that.

It's the first hero I really clicked with, every ability made sense, and I was able to use them in what I think was the correct way right out the gate, plus I really felt like I was affecting the battle. I could take hits, keep my teammates alive, and dish out some pretty serious hurt all while defending an objective.

I used to feel the same about D.Va in the last beta but not being able to fire during the shield makes her feel incredibly weak right now.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    So it's been a pretty long while since I played Overwatch. Always felt a bit, yknow, jittery about the thought of playing it so I decide what the heck let's just do this.

Queue up, Offense on Numbani. Okay.

Enemy team stomps us so hard, they push us back to our spawn. We're on Offense.

Right. Well then. Leave game, take a minute, requeue.

Exact same team next game. Fuck. Immediately leave game.

Take a longer minute this time. Requeue.

"DEFEAT" flashes across the screen. The game's already over!

Right. Right. This is why I felt so hesitant about playing, now I remember. Yes.

I get that this is largely due to small playerbase. I get that, I understand. But constantly getting queued up against stompy tryhards and premades, when I'm probably the worst player in the world? That shit isn't fun. That shit isn't fun at all.

Really at a goddamn loss. I like this game. I think it's really fucking fun. But I have to wade through all this bullshit to actually get to the fun.

I dunno. Maybe I should just wait until launch. Ain't no room in a beta like this for a shit player like me, I suppose.

Play with people vs the A.I. until you get a handle on things.
    Choose characters that de-emphasize whichever mechanics you are having difficulty with or finding most frustrating.
    Disabuse yourself of the notion that you need to win to have fun. In a game like this, you need to be able to take satisfaction in your own performance - or sometimes just in recognizing which mistakes you made, where you've improved, or even just understanding what your adversary did to stomp you and thinking about what you could do to beat it next time you see it.

Gotta be honest though. I strongly suspect that post-launch, average player skill is going nowhere but up.
    If you feel that being matched against more capable teams is going to prevent you from enjoying the game, you could be in for a lot more frustration.

• Options

Yeah i 'm pretty shit at this game so far, but I picked up Zarya last night in my last game to see how she played. Ended up getting play of the game for an ult shot that drew in 4 of their team right next to the payload and I killed them all with a burst shot during overtime to win us the game

Even got a "Nice ult" in voice comms and 5 "likes" at the end for getting something like 14 kills total on top of that.

It's the first hero I really clicked with, every ability made sense, and I was able to use them in what I think was the correct way right out the gate, plus I really felt like I was affecting the battle. I could take hits, keep my teammates alive, and dish out some pretty serious hurt all while defending an objective.

I used to feel the same about D.Va in the last beta but not being able to fire during the shield makes her feel incredibly weak right now.

That moment as Zarya when you shield an ally and yourself during Reaper ult and end up with 100 charge.

unlimited-power.gif

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Donnicton wrote: »

That moment as Zarya when you shield an ally and yourself during Reaper ult and end up with 100 charge.

unlimited-power.gif

Hah yeah I did that once. I was a bit shocked though in going up against Zarya it seemed like her personal shield lasted forEVER, but in paying as her it's incredibly short. Her teammate shield lasts quite a bit though which is nice.

Luckily she's beefy enough even without the shield to get the job done it seems.

I definitely prefer to play beefier heroes I think. I played as Roadhog and that felt pretty good. And Reinhardt is fun even though I seem to be pretty bad at him.

I've done some good work as Winston as well but it seems like his melee attacks never hit for some reason for me, I don't think I have the range down right or something.

EdiT: Junkrat is also fun to play, but it feels a bit too easy. It's so easy to sit back and just lob death from relative safety. Even when someone DOES get on me to kill me my death typically kills them as well. I haven't played much mind you but I feel he probably needs to be toned down in some fashion, it's too easy to just blanket an area with explody death. And that ult is super easy to wipe out people with as well.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    FerrousFerrous Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Be careful about rating a match negatively because if you do it enough it will start excluding those people from the already small pool of people for matchmaking.

Maybe more so before the most recent wave of invites, but I regularly find that one evening I lose repeatedly and then the next day I get a string of wins. After losing all but one match in 15 last night there's a very good chance I'll win repeatedly tonight.

Only a few of last nights losses were either total blowouts or down to terrible composition thanks to new players versus a team of veterans. I had far more losses that came down to the last 1-2 minutes and were a well balanced hard fought match. Sometimes a loss like that isn't a bad thing because everyone played well, but a series of well timed supers from the opposing team can make all the difference at the end of a match.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I have found that Monday nights are the worst. I always just get stomped in all the games I play. Not sure why maybe normal people aren't playing as much so its only the Team Try-Hards that are on. So you have a better chance of getting matched against a pre-made. Oddly enough I have felt like there is a similar phenomenon in Heroes of the Storm as well. Not that I have played heroes since I got into the OW beta.

• Options
    Pharah counters Junkrat severely - he will almost never be able to hit an airborne Pharah and he'll have to take cover to avoid her. Winston can also bully him if he has his shield ready. Hanzo's scatter shot can kill him when he's hiding in buildings, or snipers in general can harass him if he's open anywhere else. Reaper, Tracer and Genji can kill him fairly easily as long as they don't fight him on his terms - or at least keep him too worried about them to spend time bombarding your team.

If they're dying to your on-death bombs, that's not Junkrat's problem - that's your MMR. In whatever matchmaking set up I'm in at this point, no player ever falls for that.

The ult... like, you're probably going to kill someone with most heroes' ults. That's the point of them. I'm not sure how Junkrat's is significantly different. If anything it's easier to stop than most because it has a big red warning indicator like McCree's, you can kill it, and if you have surround sound you can hear exactly where it's coming from. You can even blow it up in Junkrat's face to kill him, and/or kill Junkrat while he's channeling it.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Pharah counters Junkrat severely - he will almost never be able to hit an airborne Pharah and he'll have to take cover to avoid her. Winston can also bully him if he has his shield ready. Hanzo's scatter shot can kill him when he's hiding in buildings, or snipers in general can harass him if he's open anywhere else. Reaper, Tracer and Genji can kill him fairly easily as long as they don't fight him on his terms - or at least keep him too worried about them to spend time bombarding your team.

If they're dying to your on-death bombs, that's not Junkrat's problem - that's your MMR. In whatever matchmaking set up I'm in at this point, no player ever falls for that.

The ult... like, you're probably going to kill someone with most heroes' ults. That's the point of them. I'm not sure how Junkrat's is significantly different. If anything it's easier to stop than most because it has a big red warning indicator like McCree's, you can kill it, and if you have surround sound you can hear exactly where it's coming from. You can even blow it up in Junkrat's face to kill him, and/or kill Junkrat while he's channeling it.

Yeah but I feel like any Junkrat worth his salt isn't going to channel his ult out in the open where he can be hit, and manuevering the Tire without being hit seems pretty easy as well, especially if you make liberal use of cover or stick to walls. It also lasts a really long time so you can take round about routes to sneak up on entrenched locations etc.

You are probably right about the counters, but in general it just seems super easy to sit in safety and bombard the enemy with little recourse and their part. I actually stopped playing him because it wasn't any fun and I didn't really feel like I was in the battle. The range is long and you can bounce them around corners and into rooms etc without ever having to be in danger yourself.

And if you draw out their team to chase you down to try and kill you then your own team can typically secure the objectives or flank them easily enough.

Dunno, it just feels way too safe for the destructive power to me.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Kaplan on joining a game right at the end (especially if it's a loss)
    Hi. Sorry you got a loss like that. From our perspective that's a bug and shouldn't be happening. We're working on clearing all of that up right now. We want being added to a game late to feel like nothing but a bonus to you as the latecomer. Our goal is to make it so that you don't receive a loss on your stats but you do receive EXP (and possibly an EXP bonus) for being added late. Hopefully, when we're done implementing our systems, being added late to a game will feel much better.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Borderlands-style mook-massacre evil laughter would be appropriate.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    New patch. Patch notes not up, but here are some changes someone's found:
    Genji health reduced to 150 (was 200)
    Lucio health reduced to 150 (was 200)
    Winston's Barrier Projector cooldown does not start until the barrier expires/is destroyed
    Zarya's Projected Barrier duration reduced to 2 seconds (was 4 seconds)
    Mercy can fly to corpses again
    Zenyatta's orbs now notify you when they return (when the target dies or goes invulnerable in case of Discord)
    Rip Tire health increased to 150 (was 50) but it no longer detonates when destroyed
    Symmetra's orbs move faster now
    Players teleported by Symmetra leave a trail behind them for some time
    Voice lines can now be used without cooldown (up to 4 times)
    Seems that it's possible to only get common (white) items in a loot box.. must be new right?

Genji and Lucio changes I think are good. That Zarya projected barrier nerf kinda hits hard IMO, but I'm pretty sure Zarya's cooldowns didn't start till the barriers were gone anyway. Winston nerf I guess is sort of decent as barriers really break a lot of abilities though I would like a bit of health buff to it to compensate since it can go down super quick with focus fire too. Mercy changes were already expected and Zenyatta orb is QOL stuff.

Edit: Added even more changes. Rip Tire being hard to kinda sucks. His ult charges too easily for how hard that thing is to avoid already without destroying it.

Dracil on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Mei's didn't start until she left the Ice Block. It isn't a change for her.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Zarya nerf?

Vader-noooo.gif

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    weird i could have sworn consensus was zarya was pretty meh

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I dunno. She's my favorite hero. I can consistently get 20+ kill streaks on her.

Then again, I wouldn't say I'm playing at a particularly high MMR (I don't think).

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Yeah that zarya nerf seems a bit much

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Junkrat's tire got buffed to 150hp(from 50). Pretty massive increase. However rumor is that it does no damage now if it's destroyed by a player before detonating. However I would need someone to test this with - I'm not inclined to waste an ult like that in QM.

Edit: on further testing (thanks @UrQuanLord88 ) it no longer does damage if you destroy it before the Junkrat triggers it.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Junkrat's tire having enough HP to live through a direct Pharah rocket hit is a bit absurd.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Gonna see a bunch more Junkrat spam, as if it wasn't annoying enough already, especially since basically all the other nerfs made several popular heroes even squishier.

Edit: Another thread seems to have some people reporting Mei attack buffs. Either faster LMB slow, or longer range, and maybe faster RMB too. That would definitely make me happy.

Dracil on
This discussion has been closed.