As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed: Origins - out now!

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Ripper trailer out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtXBdnGdG1s

So thinking about the theory:
    If Jack the Ripper is actually Jacob then Ubisoft is making such a piss-poor job of hiding it in this trailer that I'm inclined to believe it's not Jacob because if it was, that would be so fucking stupid.

Also, pretty sure that's a shot of Jacob at 1:36

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I like that Evie, she looks older than 40 but I guess that's the 19th century for you

I get the sense that Jack is related to the Fryes? A son?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Ripper trailer out

If Jack the Ripper is actually Jacob then Ubisoft is making such a piss-poor job of hiding it in this trailer that I'm inclined to believe it's not Jacob because if it was, that would be so fucking stupid.

Hmm, I think I disagree?
    I don't think anything about this screams that it's Jacob to me
    I think it just as easily supports my pet theory that the Ripper is linked to the Spring-Heeled Jack case from the main game, and that weird cult that they seemed to belong to

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Holy crow are Evie's melee multi-finishers brutal

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    london is both larger and more collectible-filled than paris, though this is not immediately apparent because the rope launcher and carriages let you get around much faster and they don't immediately dump all the collectible icons on the map

The best part of the collectibles is that they brought back "kick a chest to open it"

I never WANTED to open chests before because it took too long and the "flash" of the screen refreshing annoyed me. Kick it, and be done with it. That's what I want.

• Options
    Two things

1) The Reconstructed Data files (especially the audio logs) owwwwwwwwn

2) It is fucking CRIMINAL that you can't play them while running around. Having them locked in a static menu is so, so, so dumb

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    london is both larger and more collectible-filled than paris, though this is not immediately apparent because the rope launcher and carriages let you get around much faster and they don't immediately dump all the collectible icons on the map

The best part of the collectibles is that they brought back "kick a chest to open it"

I never WANTED to open chests before because it took too long and the "flash" of the screen refreshing annoyed me. Kick it, and be done with it. That's what I want.

The even better part is that you don't have to be anonymous to open a chest which was goddamned annoying in the previous games.

And nonsensical.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Two things

1) The Reconstructed Data files (especially the audio logs) owwwwwwwwn

2) It is fucking CRIMINAL that you can't play them while running around. Having them locked in a static menu is so, so, so dumb

The fact that they have audio clips with no indication of how long they are while you're playing them makes no sense to me.
    Games cracked the concept of a moving line to show where you are in an audio clip back by the 16-bit era, hadn't they?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    What reconstructed audio logs? I 100%ed the game but I'm not sure what you guys are even talking about lol

I even platinumed the fucking thing

Drez on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Ripper trailer out

Hmm, I think I disagree?
    I don't think anything about this screams that it's Jacob to me
    I think it just as easily supports my pet theory that the Ripper is linked to the Spring-Heeled Jack case from the main game, and that weird cult that they seemed to belong to
    Jacob is the exact opposite of surgical. He doesn't fit Jack the Ripper's profile at all.

I absolutely believe it has something to do with Spring-Heeled Jack, which was left unresolved in the main story.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jacob is involved somehow. Maybe he infiltrated that cult.

I guess I could see him infiltrating and being somehow brainwashed into becoming Jack the Ripper. I think that would be goddamned stupid, but it fits Ubisoft's modus operandi of being completely shitty to any protagonist that isn't Ezio.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    What reconstructed audio logs? I 100%ed the game but I'm not sure what you guys are even talking about lol

In the Database, either under Present Day or Collectibles.
    The one's I've heard so far are about Abstergo experimenting with the/a Shroud.

They're unlocked by collecting the Helix Glitches.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

In the Database, either under Present Day or Collectibles.
    The one's I've heard so far are about Abstergo experimenting with the/a Shroud.

They're unlocked by collecting the Helix Glitches.

So they are good? I should have them all unlocked. I'll run through them tomorrow.

• Options
    yeah there's some stuff in there

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    If you're into the whole modern day stuff, they're pretty good.
    I giggled way too much at how one of the early ones ended.
    "When can we try it again?"
    "How about now?" *BANG*

• Options
    "How about now?" *BANG*

I'm a huge fan of the modern day stuff.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    say
    "How about now?" *BANG*

Wonder if that's a reference to what I think it is.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I have always been an unapologetically huge fan of the dumb sci-fi bullshit that makes up the series' mythology, and I love audio dramas, and I love collectibles.

Basically Syndicate is scratching all the itches I got

• Options
    are they going to bring back adha or what cause "the chalice" sounds a lot like the sage

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I have always been an unapologetically huge fan of the dumb sci-fi bullshit that makes up the series' mythology, and I love audio dramas, and I love collectibles.

Basically Syndicate is scratching all the itches I got

Also the protagonists are so much more interesting than Arno and Haythem!

Like, even Jacob, who's the big dumb bruiser stereotype, is still pretty likable.

And Evie is the best.

And Henry Green is the cutest.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Yeah, this game is super good. I'm only up to sequence 5, but it's nice that they seem to have the formula pretty good this time. Like, taking back London is pretty fun, zipping around it pretty fun, Evie is fantastic, and Jacob, while not as good, isn't detrimental, and is quite fun.

Trying to set up the huge multi-takedown things is also pretty fun, and the payoff is great.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    If this goes on sale again for 50% during the winter sale on steam I might not be able to resist. Too much glowing praise.

• Options
    Ugggh Evie and Henry are so cute I can barely stand it

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    How many games actually let you play as an older woman, like the Ripper DLC does?

Even the few and far between female lead characters in games are generally like, late 20s at the most

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I cannot name one

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    How many games actually let you play as an older woman, like the Ripper DLC does?

Even the few and far between female lead characters in games are generally like, late 20s at the most

Parts of King's Quest 7

Uh

I think Grace is in her 30s come Gabriel Knight 3?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Kitana is like 10,000 years old

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I just heard an NPC say "How appropriate that I fight like a dairy farmer because you fight like a cow!"

Good job devs

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I still think it's utterly offensive and revolting to use the ripper crimes as the basis for this DLC.

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    If they were being trashy about it I would agree, as my expectation when they announced it, but they seem to be handling it with some gravity and while absolutely ghastly the murders are almost a hundred and fifty years old and not exactly a recent wound

As long as it is Evie being a badass and solving them it sounds good to me

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    this is going to be such a bad movie though

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    this is going to be such a bad movie though
    Eh it could be good

The director isn't bad and has a strong sense of style and it has an absolutely insane cast

The scriptwriters have a not so great record but that doesn't mean much, bad writers surprise with good scripts all the time

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Man. That has to be one of the most accurate movie costume based off a video game costume I've ever seen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Hopefully it's on par with Prince of Persia. That was a fun movie.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I am fucking stoked to watch Fassbender act the shit out of Assassins Creed.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    I hope they accurately show that series-iconic moment where Fassbender tries to run between some people and a wall and ends up climbing up to the ledge over the wall by accident.

• Options
    the thing is jack the ripper only killed like 5-11 people and you will kill several multiples of that over the course of this dlc

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    yo what if the Ripper DLC is just one enormous crime-solving sequence

no combat whatsoever

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    perhaps it will be a story about how the templars use the media as a tool to make people afraid

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.