Assassin's Creed: Origins - out now!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Those fist finishers have got nothing on the fucking murdercane

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    At least once the murdercane does its work all those people are dead and don't have to suffer anymore. Presumably once Fight Club is done all those people she mangled with her bare hands are still alive and have to deal with what she put them through.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Those fist finishers have got nothing on the fucking murdercane

Have you seen my baseball?

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Kotaku has done their Kotaku thing once again

Assassin's Creed is skipping 2016

The next game is codenamed "Empire," and will be set in ancient Egypt

The reason for no game this year is the reception to Unity, Empire was intended for this year

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...Either way I'm fine with them taking an extra year.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Is empire based on that old "Osiris" leak

PNk1Ml4.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I think it's funny that a year with two Assassin's Creed games and a movie still counts as "skipping" in this bizarre franchise world we live in

But I am all the way down for ancient Egypt, yeah

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    ....What if the game for this year is Assassin's Creed: The Movie: The Game

oh I just noticed that article also says watch dogs 2 is this fall and in san francisco

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    oh I just noticed that article also says watch dogs 2 is this fall and in san francisco

Well...that series needs all the help it can get.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I could see Watch Dogs 2 happening this year, and giving AC a break

I could also see them pulling Watch Dogs into the AC universe in a more overt way than they did in the original, as well

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'll say this

Watch Dogs was better than AC1, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they turn it around for Watch Dogs 2

I'll say this

Watch Dogs was better than AC1, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they turn it around for Watch Dogs 2

AC1's story was infinitely better. Gameplay-wise, though, yeah. Night and day.

I'd be pretty okay with a whole game of just the hide and seek multiplayer, to be honest.

It's not like they are incapable of writing likeable protagonists

They just sort of wrote their most wildly unlikeable one for Watch Dogs

If we're not playing as Aiden Pierce, that game will automatically be starting off on better footing than the first one

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...Either way I'm fine with them taking an extra year.

It is more than okay for games as big and dense as Assassin's Creeds to come out every other year instead of every year. I really couldn't handle 1/year. Skipping last year was great, and kept me fresh for Syndicate.

edited January 2016
    I'm not totally convinced that AC is actually skipping 2016, I think it's as likely that the delay of Empire means that 2016 will now have only one game instead of two

Which is probably what they should have done with Unity, let rogue be the 2014 game and give unity more time

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    Empire? Two games?

I feel like I'm missing something here

Also a benefit (drawback?) of buying Watch Dogs digitally on release day is that I feel like pretty soon I'm gonna end up taking it for another spin, seeing how I feel about it this go-round

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

The reason for no game this year is the reception to Unity, Empire was intended for this year

What is their, Kotaku thing?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    They've been leaking AC games for several years and got blacklisted for it by Ubisoft PR

CYpGAPn.png
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Is empire based on that old "Osiris" leak

supposedly so, yes. there's already an Osiris nod in AC, even: one of the character models from the Osiris tech demo was used verbatim in one of the Abstergo presentations in AC4

before it got revived as an AC sequel, Osiris was going to be reworked into a Prince of Persia reboot, too. either someone at Ubisoft believes in Osiris enough to try to save it twice, or they really believe in not spending money on games that don't get sold

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Blake T wrote: »

Apparently, journalism, but you have to like, spit on the ground after saying it, because something something ethics

Anyway, if it's true, kind of surprised, because everything they'd been doing in the last few games had been leading me to believe they were pulling the trigger on WWII.

Also also: reading the actual 4chan rumor that Kotaku was reporting on, I would still take this with a tablespoon or two of salt. They're not just claiming they game is being held because of Unity's poor reception; they're claiming the entire series is getting revamped with a different playstyle, which given the popularity of Syndicate I find very hard to believe.

I dunno, I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love for this to be true, especially the part about pet eagle, but "it's in Egypt!" doesn't seem like that hard a guess to just throw out for AC since people have been talking about it for years.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular

If we're not playing as Aiden Pierce, that game will automatically be starting off on better footing than the first one

But whatever will we do without his iconic cap?

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

Potentially enjoy the game.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Was there any real connection between Watch Dogs and the AC universe? I remember when Black Flag came out, there was a lot of speculation and hype that it was gonna be the modern day AC game, but then all the PR teams started denying that, saying those were just jokey easter eggs and it was gonna be it's own setting, and so I lost a lot of interest in it.

steam_sig.png
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Watch Dogs should go full-on Assassin's Creed.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

True story: Whenever I see something described as "iconic," or even think of something being called "iconic," I reflexively think "Yeah, about as iconic as Aiden Pierce's hat, I bet." For this I blame Ubisoft and Jim Sterling in equal measure.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Blake T wrote: »

Apparently, journalism, but you have to like, spit on the ground after saying it, because something something ethics

Anyway, if it's true, kind of surprised, because everything they'd been doing in the last few games had been leading me to believe they were pulling the trigger on WWII.

Also also: reading the actual 4chan rumor that Kotaku was reporting on, I would still take this with a tablespoon or two of salt. They're not just claiming they game is being held because of Unity's poor reception; they're claiming the entire series is getting revamped with a different playstyle, which given the popularity of Syndicate I find very hard to believe.

I dunno, I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love for this to be true, especially the part about pet eagle, but "it's in Egypt!" doesn't seem like that hard a guess to just throw out for AC since people have been talking about it for years.

Syndicate is popular in the critical sense and among those who haven't learned to take their hands off of the oven once its already burned them a couple times (me, others here)

But Syndicate's sales were pretty down from Unity, so

I could totally see them thinking "time for something new"

Lin-Manuel Miranda is apparently sacrificing sleep to play too much AssaSyn, which is giving me daydreams about shooting the AC3 shit with him

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Guys, it's kotaku reporting a rumor from 4chan. Let's go with something a little more.... anything before we get in a tizzy.

Which they've corroborated with other sources, apparently.

Which we pretty much know they've got sources willing to pass them information about Ubi.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Now I want the White Room scenes replacced with musical numbers and assassination rap battles

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    edited January 2016
    Now I want the White Room scenes replacced with musical numbers and assassination rap battles

PaRappa the Assassa

Poorochondriac on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Yeah, Kotaku is reporting the 4chan thing because it matches up with what they've heard from their own sources

6F32U1X.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Gonna be weird, playing an AC game without a hidden blade. Still, I've wanted an Egypt game since AC2, and if Ubisoft wants to devote a shitton of time and money to my childhood favorite setting, then fuck yes.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    A Room with a View:

Fuck all of that
    I literally just opened that secret door and went straight inside, how the hell did Lucy get up there? Then I defenestrate her and one second after she falls I look down and she's vanished, with the necklace. I guess Templars in the 19th century had teleportation magic. Garbage-ass terrible storytelling. One star.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Finished the story and Jack the Ripper. I thought they were both great!

Then I went back to Unity because I never did the Dead Kings. The game is absolutely gorgeous, but man, that combat. Just awful. Slow and clunky and it doesn't flow at all. And most of the kill animations don't connect, so I'm just stabbing air as the guard falls over clutching his gut.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ancient Egypt?

Assassins?
    pyramids-1.jpg

One step closer...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fuck

An ancient Egypt game sounds completely incredible

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    You need a hell of a lot of lateral movement to Leap of Faith from the Pyramid of Giza into that handy heap of straw below

Maybe it'll introduce the Slide of Faith

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    when in ancient egypt are we thinking because ancient egypt describes thousands of years

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.