As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think Blood Dragon was built on some of FarCry 3's map too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    GSM wrote: »
    Zombies, Vietnam, and... Mars.

DLC undermining the game's thematic aspirations before it's even available. ok.

Blood Dragon was completely unrelated to Far Cry 3 beyond just using the same engine. It's not undermining anything if it's basically just three additional games built on Far Cry 5's engine.

I thought Blood Dragon used a bunch of Far Cry 3's geography and other assets?

You might be thinking of Primal, which used Far Cry 4's map.

It did?

*googles*

Oh wow, I never noticed.

• Options
    Yeah, people were a little mad about it when the game launched for some reason. I just pretended it was prehistoric Kyrat.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, it's Ubisoft. They're one of the big publishers, like hell they'd rather spend money on making something new for players if they can risk some player anger by pulling a fast one on them.

This is the same company still running their garbage middleware, after all, which has looooong since proven to do absolutely nothing to prevent pirating and gives no extra value to the customer.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Eh, it's Ubisoft. They're one of the big publishers, like hell they'd rather spend money on making something new for players if they can risk some player anger by pulling a fast one on them.

This is the same company still running their garbage middleware, after all, which has looooong since proven to do absolutely nothing to prevent pirating and gives no extra value to the customer.

they weren't 'pulling a fast one' though. Blood Dragon and Primal both exists solely because Ubi decided to reuse assets to create smaller titles in-between the franchises main instalments.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

they weren't 'pulling a fast one' though. Blood Dragon and Primal both exists solely because Ubi decided to reuse assets to create smaller titles in-between the franchises main instalments.

Which saves a lot of money in a way your average consumer will never notice.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Except Blood Dragon was priced as the standalone expansion pack it was, and Primal is priced almost full-retail despite a copy-and-paste of the game world.

It's not recycling assets that's skeezy, but recycling a bunch of assets and trying to sell it for the price of an actual new game? Definitely skeezy.

But like I said, it's Ubisoft, so it's entirely normal behavior for them.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Except Blood Dragon was priced as the standalone expansion pack it was, and Primal is priced almost full-retail despite a copy-and-paste of the game world.

It's not recycling assets that's skeezy, but recycling a bunch of assets and trying to sell it for the price of an actual new game? Definitely skeezy.

I've bought played 4 and Primal, and even knowing that Primal used 4's map I never really could notice. Plus Primal managed a very different feel thanks to the caveman and tribe-building mechanics, and all the caves.

I don't feel ripped off.

Edit: In fact Primal's map had pretty drastic topographical changes from 4's map.

cloudeagle on
  • Options

Primal was also a bigger game than Blood Dragon was, hence the difference in pricing between them. honestly, i'd much rather studios re-use assets where possible to save time and money than try to gouge consumers with shitty F2P mechanics in full priced retail games.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    and a story trailer has dropped too.

https://youtu.be/wVbwQ_I5QA0
    I am going to play the FUCK out of that game. Am I seeing this right that it is console exclusive, no PC release?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    and a story trailer has dropped too.

https://youtu.be/wVbwQ_I5QA0
    I am going to play the FUCK out of that game. Am I seeing this right that it is console exclusive, no PC release?

No, you're not seeing it right. I know this because I have Far Cry 5 Gold in my PC Uplay library.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

I've bought played 4 and Primal, and even knowing that Primal used 4's map I never really could notice. Plus Primal managed a very different feel thanks to the caveman and tribe-building mechanics, and all the caves.

I don't feel ripped off.

Edit: In fact Primal's map had pretty drastic topographical changes from 4's map.

Yeah, it has a similar structure I believe, but its redesigned to fit the time period they are going for. It has enough differences that it is totally not just a repeat of the map.

I don't remember much in the way of similarities besides the general map shape. I just watched a video comparing the areas and while they both have mountains in the same area, the shape of those hills and mountains are different enough that I never noticed and it never bothered me.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

I don't feel ripped off.

I was going to say this same thing. I played both games as well, and even knowing that map assets were re-used, I never would be able to tell in-game. There was still a significant amount of new content that went into Far Cry Primal. Worth $60? Maybe to some people. For me, it was worth the $25 I eventually paid for it.

I don't really see recycling assets as skeezy if it's done right. I think they handled it in a way that made sense for FCP.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Primal was also a bigger game than Blood Dragon was, hence the difference in pricing between them. honestly, i'd much rather studios re-use assets where possible to save time and money than try to gouge consumers with shitty F2P mechanics in full priced retail games.

There's saving time and money and then there's Dragon Age II's reuse of the same dungeon map over and over and over...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

There's saving time and money and then there's Dragon Age II's reuse of the same dungeon map over and over and over...

see also Halo's "Oh shit, we need to get this ready for launch and have run out of time to make the entire second half of the game". :P

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Complaints about Dragon Age 2 always ignore the insanely small amount of time they had to put that game together, which is impressive when you consider it still has the best gameplay and writing of any of the Dragon Age games.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Argh I can't afford all these games! :bigfrown:

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I got a lot of tearing up religious extremists (along with racist gangsters) in 100 hours of three-four Mafia 3 playthroughs. What does this really have to offer me as someone who loved Fat Cry 3 but hasn’t bought one since?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Complaints about Dragon Age 2 always ignore the insanely small amount of time they had to put that game together, which is impressive when you consider it still has the best gameplay and writing of any of the Dragon Age games.

Its not fair to blame Bioware, but it is fair to blame EA who decided to ship it in that state with that small development window.

But me on board with the people who could tell Primal was a reskinned 4. I felt they put enough polish into that game that I couldn't notice. Kinda bummed it bombed to be honest. While it may of been the second weakest Ubisoft Far Cry, I felt the historical setting had a lot of promise. Like, give me Medieval Far Cry with the combat of Chivalry.

• Options
    Wait, Far Cry Primal bombed? I thought, as of three months from release, it exceeded Ubi's expectations?

• Options
    Huh, I guess I thought it didn't do well cause it seemed to have a lukewarm reception with reviews and never seem to get much buzz. Glad I was wrong!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I didn't play it because the gameplay didn't look interesting to me personally. At least not enough to pay full price.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I mean, we never got final sales figures so I'm guessing it's one of the lower-selling Far Cries, but getting a shout-out three months after release is a pretty good indication it did fine, considering how front-loaded sales are. It might have also benefitted from lower development costs given the asset re-using.

• Options
    Dropped a preorder on Far Cry 5 gold edition over the weekend. I was going to pick up FC5 anyway because the premise and setting interest me, but that season pass reveal pushed me over the edge.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Dropped a preorder on Far Cry 5 gold edition over the weekend. I was going to pick up FC5 anyway because the premise and setting interest me, but that season pass reveal pushed me over the edge.

yeah, i haven't done it yet but the season pass and FarCry3 bonus have ensured that i will put my money down before release.

• Options
    well played Ubisoft, well played. :lol:

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R4qP8uBTdw

I love that some writer had to come up with a dog's character motivations, same as all the other companions/guns for hire. :lol:

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The way enemies react to getting shot or hit with knives seems super janky to me, like frames are missing. Could just be the build tho. Game looks super fun and explosions look great. So many games don't do good explosions. Explosions!

Prohass on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So, Ubisoft just did this at a press event they set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li73zcedBXk

They really are going all out with their marketing budget. How much does it cost to hire a helicopter? :lol:

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    This sort of crazy marketing budget is why AAA games have to sell a hojillion copies or be considered failures...

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    So, Ubisoft just did this at a press event they set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li73zcedBXk

They really are going all out with their marketing budget. How much does it cost to hire a helicopter? :lol:

A few hundred to a few thousand an hour most likely

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Honestly? That was pretty awesome. I’m glad there are publishers that are still willing to go all out with shit like this.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    This sort of crazy marketing budget is why AAA games have to sell a hojillion copies or be considered failures...

"We need to add real money loot boxes to make up dev costs"

"Look at these 5 live action trailers with Hollywood A-listers and licensed, royalty-bearing music"

:rotate:

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    The people in the crowd joking about killing him was very uncomfortable.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options

Honestly, that kind of event is relatively cheap. All you're really paying for is room and board for the press, plus actors and helicopter rental. This kind of stuff happened all the time in the N64/PSX days.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's... weird. "Why didn't they market this game harder" has been a thing I've read more than a few time in discussions of games that kind of failed too.

There is a glut of entertainment/diversion opportunities these days, so marketing matters way more now.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's... weird. "Why didn't they market this game harder" has been a thing I've read more than a few time in discussions of games that kind of failed too.

There is a glut of entertainment/diversion opportunities these days, so marketing matters way more now.

And it's a valid criticism, marketing's important. But marketing needn't be gigantic live action trailers that cost $texas. AAA studios have a tendency to market stupidly.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    marketing is one of those things that hindsight is always 20/20 on. Not everyone who buys games follows game news media, so stunts like this are a way to end up on news feeds on facebook for a lot of people.

I think its easy to go "look at these ridiculous marketing campaigns they cost so much!" but nobody is really able to point out the magic sweet spot of "just the right amount of advertising"

Advertising is often a go big or go home zero sum deal too, like if you spend just a little less than was needed, you end up wasting your entire advertising budget on a campaign that never broke through, so sometimes you end up saving money by spending more.

Im not saying it isnt all stupid and silly, its just its not as easy as "spend less", even with big name games. Theres a reason coke still spends billions on marketing even though everybody knows about coca cola