As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechwarrior Online] The FWL doesn't pay enough to stay here (THREAD OVER!)

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Doesn't MWO max out at 12 weapons?

Isn't there a build of a Nova floating around with 12 small pulse lasers and 4 machine guns?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Isn't there a build of a Nova floating around with 12 small pulse lasers and 4 machine guns?

NVA-PRIME

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    *sigh* So I know this is an annoying question, but I'm going to throw it out there.

Since I'm just starting, I have access to the trial mechs. Instead of asking which I should try using, how about this: are there any I should avoid like the plague?

Nope

Got nothing to lose but time playing Trials, try them all and find out which ones you like and what playstyle you prefer before you purchase a mech.

This is mostly correct. The Trial mechs at this point have all been replaced with competent, if not completely meta-competitive, custom variants. Some (Stalker with XL engine) are of questionable build status, but none are out-and-out bad. Give a few a try, and get a feel for what you like.

I'd probably avoid the Trial Atlas; Gauss takes getting used to and you don't have much firepower otherwise (unless you keep them between 180 and 270m). If he wants to get a feel for gauss, use the Dragon (although I find that build suboptimal as well). For trying out Assaults, the clan options are much better.

If you run the Nova, DO NOT fire both arms at once. You will explode.

Overheating death is the noobiest death.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Overheating Deaths are awesome, but only if your last desperate alpha managed to core out and destroy a mech at least one weight class above you.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Okay. Am I going standard Urbie or full collector? You Be The Judge <TM>.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »

Do you want one to be a Hero mech, and an extra month of Premium? If yes, $40 goes in the bucket.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »

In for a penny, in for a pound...

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    both teams were pretty bad, theirs was just worse.

swWPXup.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    and then i get treated to this gem. 2 people with 0 damage! how!

EZM9Tvd.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    and then i get treated to this gem. 2 people with 0 damage! how!

[]http://i.imgur.com/EZM9Tvd.jpg[]

5 of them failed to break 50dmg, you cannot carry feeders of that magnitude.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Ugh...tonight has not been kind. Been trying to group up with an old college friend and we're just getting curb stomped like we're goombas in a Mario game...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

NVA-PRIME

16 max; try to add ams and you get a red critical fault with the build and cannot save. Un can't handle it.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Last night was kind to me. 7 of 9 games i played qualified for MC.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

Mind you, this is in group queue (while in a group of 2):

Out of 38 matches....
    5 counted for MC

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    WTF is wrong with the Pub queue. Two teams standing around waiting for the other to ask them to the prom or some shit.

I really admire people who can make lights work. I run between two buildings and my torso is already red somehow.

10 games and I've still got my 2x bonus on both mechs, 2 qualified for MC.

nonoffensive on
  • Options

Mind you, this is in group queue (while in a group of 2):

Out of 38 matches....
    5 counted for MC

The group queue is brutal. If youre 2 man dropping, you either get good games filling in on a 10 man drop, or you become the fodder.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    WTF is wrong with the Pub queue. Two teams standing around waiting for the other to ask them to the prom or some shit.

I really admire people who can make lights work. I run between two buildings and my torso is already red somehow.

Im ok with lights and its rough right now. When 75% of the queue is heavies and assaults, you dont stand much of a chance.

We actually lost a conquest game because a Wang put an amazing shot with his ac20 through my stripped back armor at 450m as i was just about around a curve and gone with the wind. All i had to do was run off and the ticker would win it for us. It was tera therma, so they would have never found me with their remaining 4 mechs. Counter was at 650 us and 200 them and we had 4 of the 5 points. So. Close.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So glad I took advantage of the MC sale in the CN-9D.

LBX machine guns are a thing of beauty.

Just need to save up 3M Cbills for the module. And then maybe the MPLAS module? Maybe I'll get that one first and throw it on my Wubbolt.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Fun matches, me and scorched just had the best pubbies ever, they talked in the chat about the plan and then executed on it for a 12-0 win. It was beautiful.

• Options
    my ELO cant be this high. most games, dropping in a light, i get stuck with 6-8 people that are clearly noobs. all the experienced players are running heavies + i suppose.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    this is what most of my games look like. i also discovered that NARC ammo does indeed explode. :/

PnxluAf.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

connnnnquessssst

it's not the perfect game mode of course but at least it provides some incentive to be aggressive and gives lights something to do for the first third of the game while the assault pilots work up the stones to engage the enemy

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

connnnnquessssst

it's not the perfect game mode of course but at least it provides some incentive to be aggressive and gives lights something to do for the first third of the game while the assault pilots work up the stones to engage the enemy

Or my whole team dies without capping dick and I have to outplay 6 opponents by myself?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    AC20 huggin sounds awesome.

but it clearly requires an extreme fire discipline and ability to aim precisely to maximize ammo usage.

• Options
    AC20 huggin sounds awesome.

but it clearly requires an extreme fire discipline and ability to aim precisely to maximize ammo usage.

So what you're saying is that it's a good trainer for when the Urbanmech comes out?

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Well I got 240 MC this event, not too shabby, seeing as I played 26 games! 12 qualifying is pretty damn good. My first 13 had all my wins though. Last half of that portion was rough. Including one game that had 126 points :(

Anyways, now I have a premium color, cobalt blue, and enough MC to buy another on sale.

Still kicking myself on squandering my founders MC on mechs back in beta. Such stupidity. Ugh.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    do any of you guys drive a trebuchet 5J? Seems like it might be kinda interesting with the Mla quirks it gets

five Mla, some JJs, and a big ol STD engine

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    do any of you guys drive a trebuchet 5J? Seems like it might be kinda interesting with the Mla quirks it gets

Trebs are the most useless of all the useless mechs.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Trebs are the most useless of all the useless mechs.

Hey now! Just because they're not sexy like a Wang, or destructive like a Death Star, or as good as any of the Reseen....

...Shit. I thought I was going somewhere with that.

Any way, I love my Trenchbuckets, but they are definitely outclassed by just about everything. Even the quirks don't really help them measure up. They can perform well, but then you realize that's more on the pilot than the rig.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I'll just get a sparky at some point probably, seems like a better option

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    the event didn't end early, did it? Played a few games that I qualified in, but they don't seem to be showing up on the list after a certain time

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    The event was set to end at the end of January, but the server time is different from standard NA time zones. I managed to pull ~500MC from this event, not sure what to spend it on, I'm thinking more cockpit items.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    That metamech site had a guide to Victors that I found extremely helpful. Behold:

...wait. Where the fuck did my screenshot folder go? There's nothing in the USER folder at all.

Well, in any case, I'm running this VTR-9B "the Chainsaw", and this rather standard 2xERLL/Guass VTR-9K. I still don't know what to do with the Dragon Slayer as the poptarting 2xPPC/AC10 was very unimpressive, and not fun to play. I went 12/28 for qualifying games, which isn't too bad, but there's this annoying bug that has me stuck in the Redeeming Items/Refreshing Data that forces me to restart. I ran the fixing tool followed by a fresh install, but it's still bugging out every other game or so. Anyone else experience this or have advice?

Edit: I found out the problem; the game is trying to deliver my Target Info Gathering module, but I haven't unlocked it yet. Luckily I was able to convert GXP thanks to the event.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    That metamech site had a guide to Victors that I found extremely helpful. Behold:

...wait. Where the fuck did my screenshot folder go? There's nothing in the USER folder at all.

Well, in any case, I'm running this VTR-9B "the Chainsaw", and this rather standard 2xERLL/Guass VTR-9K. I still don't know what to do with the Dragon Slayer as the poptarting 2xPPC/AC10 was very unimpressive, and not fun to play. I went 12/28 for qualifying games, which isn't too bad, but there's this annoying bug that has me stuck in the Redeeming Items/Refreshing Data that forces me to restart. I ran the fixing tool followed by a fresh install, but it's still bugging out every other game or so. Anyone else experience this or have advice?

Edit: I found out the problem; the game is trying to deliver my Target Info Gathering module, but I haven't unlocked it yet. Luckily I was able to convert GXP thanks to the event.

C:\Users\italianranma\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\ScreenShots

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    The event was set to end at the end of January, but the server time is different from standard NA time zones. I managed to pull ~500MC from this event, not sure what to spend it on, I'm thinking more cockpit items.

That blows since the site said 11:59 PM PST... I was wondering myself where some of my matches were.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    How's the Victor chassis nowadays? I almost grabbed one back a year or so ago when they were mean as shit, but haven't seen many in the field lately...

Thinking about using some of this MC to get the mastery bundle but I'm hesitant.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    hjparcins wrote: »
    How's the Victor chassis nowadays? I almost grabbed one back a year or so ago when they were mean as shit, but haven't seen many in the field lately...

Thinking about using some of this MC to get the mastery bundle but I'm hesitant.

I think the complete collapse of the poptarting-based meta hit them pretty hard. The Vic, and the Highlander.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

I think the complete collapse of the poptarting-based meta hit them pretty hard. The Vic, and the Highlander.

Yeah, I figured most of the folks who grabbed one back then were in it for the poptarting. I guess I'm wondering if a light assault chassis is still viable in a mid-long range role.

I generally suck at brawling unless I'm in something decently fast like a Hunchback or a Centurion. Once I get into the heavy+ chassis I prefer something like a K2 with a more deliberate playstyle at mid-long range, but not so slow and lumbering that if I make a positioning mistake I'm stuck with it. Hoping the Victor would fill that role, but if it sucks I'm not really interested in blowing my wad on the mastery bundle.

I like the idea of the mastery bundles, but I've got most of the mechs I'd bother buying one for at this point.

• Options

They are pretty much at Atlas / Stalker levels, but without any quirks.

steam_sig.png