As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Yakuza] & [Judgment] Thread. Yakuza 7 out and great. Now an RPG.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Oh hey a Yakuza thread, recently been looking at the series so this is handy.

I've never played any of the games so was looking to pick one up. Is it worth starting from the first? I imagine the gameplay of the latter games is better but story seems like a big deal.

I'm just getting into it myself, and I'm told that Yakuza Zero (out in January) is a good place to start, being a prequel and all.

I'm just hoping that between that and a localization of 6, they decide to do a remastered collection.

They did remasters of 1 & 2 on PS3 (and WiiU) already, but they were never localized. Funny enough the later released PS3 version sold pretty well but the WiiU release bombed like few things have bombed before.

They've (1 & 2 PS2) aged, but they're still fun. Yakuza 2 is still a fantastic game especially.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

I've never played any of the games so was looking to pick one up. Is it worth starting from the first? I imagine the gameplay of the latter games is better but story seems like a big deal.

It's probably worth starting with the PS2 games. It's cool to see the gameplay iterations, but you'll miss a lot of the connection to the characters without spending some time getting to know them in earlier installments.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

It's probably worth starting with the PS2 games. It's cool to see the gameplay iterations, but you'll miss a lot of the connection to the characters without spending some time getting to know them in earlier installments.

Well, story wise they could totally start with 0 too, see where the franchise is now, then play them in order. :D

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Have any entries not been localized? I didn't realize the franchise stretches back to the PS2, so maybe I'll look into that -- PS3 is where I'm lacking.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Have any entries not been localized? I didn't realize the franchise stretches back to the PS2, so maybe I'll look into that -- PS3 is where I'm lacking.

The PS3/WiiU HD Remake of 1&2, both PSP games (starring a different character), and both historical samurai spinoffs (Kenzan! & Ishin!) have been skipped over in localization. Also, Japan is about to get 6 while we are gonna get 0 so we're a game behind them.

The first game has a fun movie adaption and the PSP games have a television show adaption if you're curious.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

The PS3/WiiU HD Remake of 1&2, both PSP games (starring a different character), and both historical samurai spinoffs (Kenzan! & Ishin!) have been skipped over in localization. Also, Japan is about to get 6 while we are gonna get 0 so we're a game behind them.

There's also Kiwami, the more recent remake of 1.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Well, story wise they could totally start with 0 too, see where the franchise is now, then play them in order. :D

I'm from the school of thought that if you don't start with the earlier games, it's hard to appreciate how the series improves. Like the Remake of Yakuza 1 combines 5 games with of improvements. If you want to jump in, go for it, but it may be clunky if you try the earlier ones.

• Options

The first game has a fun movie adaption and the PSP games have a television show adaption if you're curious.

But if I just want to follow Zero with 1-5 with North American releases, I'm good in one way or another, right?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

But if I just want to follow Zero with 1-5 with North American releases, I'm good in one way or another, right?

Yes.

• Options
    YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=updSVMy-EVs

Yakuza Kiwami (Full remake of Yakuza 1) coming out Summer next year in English.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life releasing in English early 2018.

Be happy!

• Options
    C1sxaNL.jpg?1

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I'd kinda resigned myself to the news that they'd only bother localising Yakuza 6, so this is incredible news.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    I'd kinda resigned myself to the news that they'd only bother localising Yakuza 6, so this is incredible news.

I'd be pretty psyched to play Yakuza 1 with all the Yakuza 1-5+0 improvements and in Japanese this time.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    What a deluge. I was expecting just 6.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Thank you, Sega, for actually doing some good for once!

It's a Christmas Miracle!

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Yakuza 6 sold 218,168 its first week of Japan, a little less than Ishin (220,698) and 0 (236,329), but also only being on PS4 compared to PS3+PS4 of those two games. Man, console game sales have dropped in Japan. 4, on the PS3 back in '10 sold 383,972 its first week.

Still, it's in line, and was probably cheaper to make without the PS3 port. And everything is better than the WiiU HD release of 1&2 which sold 1,878 copies its first week. Plus, it's still first for the week (something that can beat Pokemon) and beat the shit out of The Last Guardian's sales in the country which also debut'd the same week.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    The Japanese market is in a really dire place. Even Pokemon SuMo, which is the best selling game in the series in most regions of the world, sold significantly less than XY in Japan. On the bright side, I believe the Asia market (which is basically SE Asia minus Japan) has done a somewhat decent job picking up the slack. There's been some good growth over there.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    I finished getting my platinum for Yakuza 0, so thought I'd give my spoiler-free thoughts on the game.
    • Overall, it's a solid entry to the series that I really enjoyed. It has a good story which is a bit more realistic and grounded than the last few have been (although it still has plenty of "wait, how is he not dead?" moments). I'm not sure if it was the greatest prequel, however. The story makes sure to leave things off where they have to be for the plot of Yakuza 1, but it feels a little forced; it didn't strike me as the most natural way to wrap up the story.
    • I played the PS4 version and found it to be a bit of a mixed bag in terms of graphics. At times it was very pretty, but there were also times when the quality of some of the textures took a nosedive.
    • I was a little disappointed that the game didn't do more with the 80's setting as the height of the Japanese bubble is a fascinating period. I wasn't expecting anything as well done as Vice City's portrayal, but 90% of this game could have taken place in 2016.
    • I'm of two minds as to whether or not this would be a good introduction to the series for a new player. On the one hand, they wouldn't know how the story has to turn out, which I think is a positive. But of course they'd also miss out on all the cameos and nods to prior games and the game does include some spoilers for later games (including an epilogue sequence which I believe gives away a lot of the first game.)
    • I missed the hunting, driving, etc. from the last game. This time we have Kiryu acting as a real estate manager and Majima running a hostess club. The former is pretty boring and while I did like the latter I got a little sick of it by the end. The game does have a few other interesting additions, but I won't reveal them.
    • In terms of getting the platinum, I thought the game was on the easier side for the series. Most of the minigame requirements have been significantly reduced and some of the most difficult games like pachinko and golf have been removed entirely (which is a bit strange, now that I think about it, as golf is very strongly associated with the Japanese business world of the 1980s). There are no cheat items this time around, however.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hmm that may have unsold me on 0.

I guess it depends if I have other stuff to play at the time.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I find it a bit odd to hear a few people talk about starting the series with the prequel. Prequels tend to come out after the main entry in a thing. I know some of the Giant Bomb staff have expressed interest in the series for a video feature and they plan on starting with Yakuza 0 unless dissuaded before the time comes.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I find it a bit odd to hear a few people talk about starting the series with the prequel. Prequels tend to come out after the main entry in a thing. I know some of the Giant Bomb staff have expressed interest in the series for a video feature and they plan on starting with Yakuza 0 unless dissuaded before the time comes.

Well for me my issue is I hate prequels and don't want to play it as much because I've already played the other games.

If I were just starting the series I'd absolutely start there.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    It's my first game in the franchise, and I'm enjoying it so far.

• Options
    It's my first game in the franchise, and I'm enjoying it so far.

They are a wonderful and wacky ride.

Welcome to the club!

• Options
    I just found out that in the western version of the first game, Goro Majima was played by Mark Hamill.

I feel like I've just lost 12 years of my life.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Hello ladies and gentlemen. With the release of Zero being two days away I have finally updated the OPs for this thread from the Yakuza 5 release announcement.

I hate every single one of you playing early review copies with every jealous fiber of my begin.

I just found out that in the western version of the first game, Goro Majima was played by Mark Hamill.

I feel like I've just lost 12 years of my life.

Yakuza 1's English dub was kinda charming.

Though with how utterly Japanese these games are, the native language is probably for the best.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Oh, I have no complaints about the Japanese voice acting. As you say, it really helps add to the authenticity.

And yet, had I known Hamill had such a part back then, I might have given it a closer look at the time.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hah. Nugget. That's just wrong.

I did see Jim Sterling talk about the sidequest where you have to help a shy Dominatrix learn how to talk down to her customers.

• Options
    HAPPY YAKUZA 0 RELEASE IN ENGLISH DAY!

• Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Downloading Data Set...

e: does the phys version do this?

Hakunin on
  • Options
    SEGA's dropping into Yakuza 0 Twitch streams, saying hi, and dropping codes for viewers.

Just saw it happen on a stream by the lead level designer for System Shock.

• Options
    Hakunin wrote: »
    Downloading Data Set...

e: does the phys version do this?

The Japanese one didn't.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    So, the English release of Yakuza 0 (still) gives you bonuses if you have an Ishin save on your PS4. That's a cool bonus for importers.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Anyone have a handy guide of side stories. Just in terms of when are where to start them?
    Haven't been able to find one so far, and I'm always worried I'll miss one by advancing the plot.
    Do they mark on the map or anything in this one?

Played through all of Chapter One. This hits the spot.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Anyone have a handy guide of side stories. Just in terms of when are where to start them?
    Haven't been able to find one so far, and I'm always worried I'll miss one by advancing the plot.
    Do they mark on the map or anything in this one?

Played through all of Chapter One. This hits the spot.

Scroll down in my trophy guide.

It is, AFAIK, impossible to miss any substories this time around. There is an accessory that will show them on the map, but Kiryu can't get it until Chapter 5 (Majima can get it in his first chapter).

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • Options
    So... any chance that someone doesn't want their business card holder?

• Options
    Most GameStops are giving out free posters, very nice ones. I'd jump on it if you can.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Dunno if that applies at EB Games here, I'll have to check.

The bind I'm in, so to speak, is that I got a review code a while back, so dropping $80 just for the pack-in isn't especially practical. I'm hoping to catch a deal, but if people check out the game like they should, that may prove tricky.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    If anyone is having any trouble at all with Mr. Shakedown: Stock up on Tauriner and Stamina drinks and use weapon heats. If you're Kiryu, Beast mode's Weapon Block with a large weapon can also easily guard against his charges and give you free retaliation.

Just beat him for the 4th time in Chapter 2 earning over 200mil off him so far.