As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Yakuza] & [Judgment] Thread. Yakuza 7 out and great. Now an RPG.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    If anyone is having any trouble at all with Mr. Shakedown: Stock up on Tauriner and Stamina drinks and use weapon heats. If you're Kiryu, Beast mode's Weapon Block with a large weapon can also easily guard against his charges and give you free retaliation.

Just beat him for the 4th time in Chapter 2 earning over 200mil off him so far.

Or just lower the difficulty to easy and spam knife heat actions.

Do you have the CP upgrade for the Shakedown reward yet? If not, you should prioritize that.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    If anyone is having any trouble at all with Mr. Shakedown: Stock up on Tauriner and Stamina drinks and use weapon heats. If you're Kiryu, Beast mode's Weapon Block with a large weapon can also easily guard against his charges and give you free retaliation.

Just beat him for the 4th time in Chapter 2 earning over 200mil off him so far.

Only just got through the Kuze fight, but I'm thrilled with the game so far. My only issue is that I can tell it'll be a while before the whole area is unlocked for me to do whatever the hell I want. It's kinda like getting through the nine missions in Dragon's Crown before you can play online... it's good practice and gives you all the info you need, but it's basically forcing you to do shit other than what you REALLY want to do.

That would make playing it over again from the start even more tedious unless they shove a lot of amenities in NG+, or whatever this game may have.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Not going to get my hands till next week on this but looking forward to it. It's surprises me that so many people haven't played one game in the series till now.

Great time to jump in though as it's right at the start of all things. Reviews had been quite positive so hopefully going to enjoy this as much as the previous titles.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's nice that you can still get Yakuza 0 for PS3, and that it's just graphics and load times which differ.
    Sort of wish this series would find its way to PC, though. I understand that it doesn't, just would be more convenient.
    Either way, nice to wake up from getting over a fever and realize this is out!
    Edit: Oops looks like the PS3 release was only for Japan...

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Not going to get my hands till next week on this but looking forward to it. It's surprises me that so many people haven't played one game in the series till now.

Great time to jump in though as it's right at the start of all things. Reviews had been quite positive so hopefully going to enjoy this as much as the previous titles.

I think it's because some idiot said "GTA: Japan," and basically ruined it for a lot of people: Those who wanted something like GTA were probably disappointed, while others who don't care for GTA (like myself) didn't give it a second look for the longest time.

I'm just glad that meeting Kiryu and Majima in Project X Zone 2 made me interested in their characters enough that I had to at least look into the series more, in the process learning that a perfect jumping-on point was on the way.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Sort of wish this series would find its way to PC, though.

Hell yes a thousand times, if they release a complete series on Steam for PC I would buy it immediately.

Doubt it would happen but ya never know.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I spent a lot of time stuck on this one Pocket Racer tournament. Better parts seemed locked behind beating it, but finally with the help of an expensive item from the shady merchant and the car from Pocket Fighter's friendship I cleared the hurdle. OMG so many more car parts and races now. I'm going to have to crush all these kids and spend like 250 million yen or more on these car parts.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Amazon's finally shipping this to me today! I ordered it about a week ago but I guess they ran out of stock. Good timing too as I just wrapped up Tyranny. I've never played one of these and I'm kind of excited to see the madness within.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Okay so as yakuza games go, this one is pretty good.

Chapter 2 and I feel at home. I never get tired of heat moves, ever. Also
    the car racing is dramatic and entertaining

• Options
    I'm glad there's a lot of minigames in Yakuza 0, because they're certainly not made equal. I can see a few getting better later on as you level fighting stances, but there's a certain amount for me that are highly entertaining, and a certain amount that are bullshit on a stick.

Also I think my controller is going out and needs replacing. The Karaoke kinda forces me to push the button a half second before the right time, and makes it a bit infuriating to play. Not sure if anyone else has this issue. And the evade minigame just feels like I'm doing something wrong. I'll evade, but the drunk still hits my side, and I lose immediately... it tells me to lock on, but the lock on makes me lose faster. It's like the game is trolling me.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    And the evade minigame just feels like I'm doing something wrong. I'll evade, but the drunk still hits my side, and I lose immediately... it tells me to lock on, but the lock on makes me lose faster. It's like the game is trolling me.
    That one can go die in a fire. I learned that you can just block everything. Simply keep your back to the crowd so that your opponent can't get around behind you and hold the block button. Eventually the weave animation will end and Kiryu will just start blocking.

• Options
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Quiotu wrote: »
    And the evade minigame just feels like I'm doing something wrong. I'll evade, but the drunk still hits my side, and I lose immediately... it tells me to lock on, but the lock on makes me lose faster. It's like the game is trolling me.
    That one can go die in a fire. I learned that you can just block everything. Simply keep your back to the crowd so that your opponent can't get around behind you and hold the block button. Eventually the weave animation will end and Kiryu will just start blocking.

I was gonna see if that worked once I got the Beast fighting style. Glad to hear that's an option. I'll give it a shot sometime.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Apparently VideoGamesPlus is selling a reprint bundle of all four Yakuza games, for those of you with PS2s/3s that never got to play the ones that made it here.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/yakuza-yakuza-prints-c-45_748_892_893.html

This is the same company that also got exclusive selling rights to the reprints of the Etrian Odyssey trilogy, Infinite Space(DS), and the SMT: Raidou Kuzunoha games. I'm not sure how they pull this stuff off but it's pretty nice. They're selling all four as a package for $180CAN(~$137US) which is a bit pricey, but mind you that buying all four used off of ebay would probably run you closer to $200US.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    So chapter six and perhaps I over leveled and was meant for more end game content.
    started the five billionaires quest line and have proceeded to do all of them.

Between hoarding my CP,s and sitting on 8-9 billion thanks to the shakedowns I've done it all and unlocked the legend style fully which has just made me untouchable. Then just hit chapter 7 and got introduced to Majimas equivalent so guess what I've been doing....

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yakuza: Kiwami, the PS4 remake of Yakuza 1 has a release date.

August 29th in North America and Europe. $29.99 / £29.99 / €34.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fF5dahPGO4

Get hype?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Guess we're not getting the song from the JP trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYNOmbx9ZCc
    (Turn on subs for optimal effect.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    madspookymadspooky San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure I'm never going to finish this game. I keep wasting time sitting around playing Cabaret.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I forced myself through the final chapter, because otherwise I'd spend a million years trying to get the CP for mahjong.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    There's some addictive mini-games.

Finishing both Kiryu and Majima,s business options are worth it for.....
    Unlocking the 4th Legend style for both characters.

Near the end and the story has been great so far. Looking forward to seeing how it all ties up.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    There's some addictive mini-games.

Finishing both Kiryu and Majima,s business options are worth it for.....
    Unlocking the 4th Legend style for both characters.

Near the end and the story has been great so far. Looking forward to seeing how it all ties up.

I couldn't quite wrap my head around the

Majima spoilers
    Mad Dog of Shimano style. It was good for crowds and that's really about it, which is fairly disappointing. But maybe I was using it wrong.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Yeah ...
    It's pretty much dash around and stab multiple style. There are some moves that can wipe the floor with a mob, chomp is quick to destroy a group. I agree though compared to say Kiryu,s I would have maybe liked something different. I will say though Majimas group heat move with the knife he kicks then slowly pulls out calling them "Pathetic" is so on point.

• Options
    madspookymadspooky San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    So once I've got 100% in Real Estate in an area and finished it all up, do I still need to put up security in the area or can I save myself the 300-500k?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    You don't need to worry about security in an area once it's at 100%. I don't remember if you can remove security altogether, though; I think I just left my worst guys in those areas.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Finished the game the other day. Have to say they did a real good job with the endings.

If your a new player it's perfect for an introduction to the series.

For me it just added more depth to the two main characters who I already liked. Majima definitely more so.

Just going to say if the rumors are true about them redoing Yakuza 2 I totally wouldn't have a problem throwing my money at it.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yakuza 2 has the best villain in the series and is the only one not available in HD. I'd love for them to remake it.

Plus, it's the game where you punch tigers in the face.

• Options
    Kiryu in Yakuza 2, tiger battle was just superb.

The last after credits movie in 0 was fantastic,
    The fixed broken watch followed by the Dog and Dragon meet up....Kiryu-chan!

• Options
    Yakuza 2 has the best villain in the series and is the only one not available in HD.
    Sure it is.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if they change Sayama's voice in the remake as the voice actress is retired. I've also recall seeing a rumor that problems with her were one reason that Sayama disappeared from the series.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Pheewww...

2TiJuUC.jpg

I only started 0 late last month because there were so many other great games coming out at that time and I was still a bit burnt out from Yakuza 5 but I'm done and I loved it. Second best game in the series IMO, I'd rank them:

2 > 0 > 5 > 3 > 4 > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dead Souls

I love the way Yakuza 5's story came together but at the same time, breaking the game into four different stories and locations absolutely killed the pacing. Just as the game would be picking up at the end of each section, the game would grind to a halt to start the next one and by the time I got to the end of the game, I couldn't remember what the hell happened at the start because I'd spent so long doing each characters side stories and mini-games. Yakuza 0 only having two characters, switching between the two every third chapter and having the short recap completely fixed all of that. It was such a great story, especially the way they filled out characters that didn't last long in Yakuza 1, while leading perfectly into that story.

I think the only things I didn't like is a) They got rid of Shinada's fun baseball mini-game and kept the shitty old one instead. b) You can't play the Legend playthrough on a completed save, making it a LOT harder and more time consuming. Oh and c) Kuze. I don't understand how he kept his other 9 fingers with all the whoopings Kiryu gave him. d would've been getting rid of the cheat items but the conditions were pretty easy and I kinda enjoyed Mahjong by the end.

My Legend playthrough was brutal. I wasted so much time doing the f'n Real Estate stuff again just because I felt like I needed to get Kiryu's 4th style for the final chapter, as well as a bunch of upgrades (turns out, that was a good choice too, the final chapter is insane with Kiryu). Majima I mostly just ran through as fast as possible and it was relatively easy. Mad Dog style isn't worth the effort, his other three styles are so much better (Thug when building heat and taking things cautiously, Slugger to clear crowds and Breaker to cheese some bosses).

Two months till Kiwami comes out but I think I'll leave it till later in the year. I'm not as burnt out as I was after Yakuza 5 but I still need a break.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Yakuza 0's end was kind of meh? Like everything after the final fights felt like they came to nothing. Also, it never explained how Majima became crazy Majima. He just... is now.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
  • Options
    So, I kind of splurged and picked up all the Yakuza games I hadn't played yet:

IT1ykur.jpg

No idea how long it's going to take me to get through them.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Yep. Best Yakuza game is coming out in HD.

If anyone wants to make a new thread for Yakuza 1, be my guest.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    A thread for each game seems a little unnecessary...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Though the yakuza teams newest title may need a new thread....my brain just exploded. Yakuza 2 then this....

https://youtu.be/kBRkpUvWc2Y

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Yeah yeah yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0E4RKA9JQ

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN.

• Options
    Extra Majima content is hype.