Options

[Destiny] Onward, Guardians, to level 32 and the Dark Below! Eris lives!

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Marikir wrote: »
    So the current outrage is that the Weekly and Nightfall are 'behind a paywall', because they're the new Strike. On one hand, yes, this is technically correct that you can't do this week's Weekly or Nightfall if you've not bought the content, but on the other, most talk I've seen of this has been grossly misrepresenting this situation as "core game content now locked away behind paywall", with no mention that this is highly likely to be just for this week, with normal business to resume next week.

I've seen suggestions that Bungie could've created a second strike option for people who own the DLC, but then that would feel like a clunky solution that'd result in Double Strike Week coming round every few weeks in the rotation (and breaking the economy something fierce as every buyer gets more chances to scoop loot). The other would just be to leave it out, which would immediately make it redundant content.

Basically yeah I feel it's a little bit off, but I'm super annoyed at how it's being represented online as if a part of the game that was central from the start, has now been gated behind a paywall in order to skim money from players.

Well, to play Devil's Advocate...

Core gameplay, meaning being able to run the Weekly or the Nightfall, is, for this week, behind a paywall. If you haven't paid for the content, the strike itself, then you aren't allowed to do either this week. I can see that as being annoying.

This would be similar if they ever did the "Dust Palace" strike as the Weekly or Nightfall. Xbox users would be S.O.L for that week.

If this became normal, where they every now and then use the new strike as the Weekly/Nightfall or even the new missions as the Daily Heorics...then we've got a problem.

And here's the thing: Why wouldn't they? Why wouldn't Bungie want to highlight the new stuff? Why wouldn't they want to push that new content?

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Well that's the thing, I expect that next week we'll be back to reg'lar strikes but some time in a few weeks' time, this one will be back and there'll be another swell of outrage. If this is the reality of the situation, then this is what people should be asking Bungie for a solution to (personally I'll live, but that's just me). My problem is that the situation is being misrepresented as 'forever and all time, weekly and nightfall are behind a paywall' and that absolutely stinks, because it's not true.

On the Dust Palace, well I think that's a good example because I have to imagine Sony customers would love that to pop up in the Weekly rotation, but it likely won't until next year when it's available on both platforms. If Bungie were to use that solution here, you'd have a massive disincentive to buy the DLC when one of the main pieces of content gets consigned to the corner and is overlooked.
    It's not an elegant solution, but I feel like the way the game's been run so far, it's far better than the hate-crime it's being treated as.

edit: not to ascribe that tone I'm complaining about to you, thank you for the reasonable reply!

Oh, I agree that the outrage and hyperbole is perhaps a little too...vehement this week. But, honestly, I can kind of see where they are coming from. I had a similar, though much less strong, reaction to the thought that the Nightfall and/or Weekly would become level 30, making it much harder for my Guardians to do what they had been doing up until now. (speaking of which, did the Nightfall and Weekly become 30?)

ObiFett wrote: »

If this happened I might actually quit playing the game for good

I think the Dust Palace being kept out of the Nightfall/Weekly rotation was a bit annoying, honestly. I like the Dust Palace strike as it feels just different enough from the base ones. I really think that the solution for the exclusive content was to basically make rotations of Xur and Nightfall/Weekly for each of the system families and then merge them after the content hits both MS and Sony. But I understand them removing the strike and the exclusive exotics from their rotations. It's just unfortunate, I think.

I think that the new strike is a different situation than Dust Palace, though, in that those of us who bought the expansion paid for new content to be added in. And that content being forever removed from the Weekly/Nightfall is not a good compromise I think. Yes, this first week, of course it would be the Weekly/Nightfall. They want to highlight the new stuff, give those who purchased the DLC a chance to shine. If your head burns with the Nightfall glow this week, you obviously have the DLC.

They aren't going to only have the new strike be the Weekly/Nightfall every week. But I hope that it is going to be in the rotation from now on. Maybe there are ways to mitigate that for those who don't have the DLC and I hope Bungie can find some acceptable option. But not putting the new stuff into the rotation isn't a solution, in my opinion.

Iron Banner in a week, I guess.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I'm mostly annoyed that the rewards say "armor upgrade" amd then gives me a blue. No you dumb game, that's not an upgrade.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

I think that the new strike is a different situation than Dust Palace, though, in that those of us who bought the expansion paid for new content to be added in. And that content being forever removed from the Weekly/Nightfall is not a good compromise I think. Yes, this first week, of course it would be the Weekly/Nightfall. They want to highlight the new stuff, give those who purchased the DLC a chance to shine. If your head burns with the Nightfall glow this week, you obviously have the DLC.

We paid for new content to be added in for our game, yes.

But at the expense of content being taken away from other players who paid full price for the game? eehhhhh...

That does seem a bit unfair. There has to be a better solution.

edit: The nightfall and weekly are not just about the bonus exp, aka glowy head. They are the primary endgame for any player who doesn't raid. It gives the only reliable way to get legendary gear and exotics. Plus is the ultimate challenge for solo players. This is a pretty big deal.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    New boots that could get me to thirty at last don't require a commendation. Sweet. DAILY QUEST goes up to thirty now for the exact same rewards. The fuck? The Nightfall and Heroic are behind a pay wall. So I don't get to enjoy a nightfall dust palace or buy a hawkmoon because it would hurt the feelings of people on other consoles, but I didn't buy the expansion so fuck me over with a smile on your face? Faction gear has "new" armor. Nifty. Exact same skins but with higher numbers. Lazy. How much "new" armor and guns are we going to be seeing, because variety of existing gear is piss poor enough. I guess you have to paywall existing content if you want people to be an expansion that is a few missions, one strike, one raid, and a handful of new items. Does anyone remember when Bungie was talking up Destiny? How everyone would have unique looking armor that let you know where they had been? How they would be cranking out new items regularly? What happened to that? As it stands everyone is wearing one of the handful of exotics you have "mostly" been able to purchase and the default vendor/raid armor. I had more of a story to my armor in Ragnorak BETA than this game. I know this is a lot of griping, but I led with the good stuff. Not my fault that is it for good stuff on day one.

• Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Celian wrote: »
    I just pulled my first new level purple. Yay!

It's the Prestige. Boo!

Well atleast Edward Norton is awesome. Well crap... wrong magician movie! DAMN YOU!
    And my second! Is also a Prestige!

Bungie is just trolling me at this point.

Well considering the film, it's A-grade trolling.

AH HA! See, I got you thinking about the movie :snap:

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator Mod Emeritus
    Turned in a bunch of blue engrams from last night. One of them upgraded to one of the new hand cannons, Venation III! :D

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    It's pretty typical in MMO-style games for new to mean reskin. It's not often that the developers totally craft brand spanking new things. Borderlands is a total exception and it's not fair to hold everyone up to their standard.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Wait, what do I need to buy from Xur? I just finished all the story stuff and I missed that part.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Brogey wrote: »
    Turned in a bunch of blue engrams from last night. One of them upgraded to one of the new hand cannons, Venation III! :D

I would be much more likely to buy the expansion if I could ever get a hand cannon I didn't buy from a vendor.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

But at the expense of content being taken away from other players who paid full price for the game? eehhhhh...

Two Nightfalls. Keep the old lvl28 rotation for Base Gamers, add a new lvl30 for the Expansion. Add new rewards for the new Nightfall. Make it like VoG hard where if you do the lvl30, you get the rewards for both. No matter what strike is picked for the new lvl30, keep it locked to only people who have the expansion.

You want to hit the new lvl30? Go with other expansion friends. You want to play with guys that don't have the expansion? Play the 28 with them.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    So, I did all three of the story missions. Why can't I do the nightfall?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Someone said earlier in the thread you need an item from Xur to unlock it?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »

Two Nightfalls. Keep the old lvl28 rotation for Base Gamers, add a new lvl30 for the Expansion. Add new rewards for the new Nightfall. Make it like VoG hard where if you do the lvl30, you get the rewards for both. No matter what strike is picked for the new lvl30, keep it locked to only people who have the expansion.

You want to hit the new lvl30? Go with other expansion friends. You want to play with guys that don't have the expansion? Play the 28 with them.

Yeah but you're talking about "expanding" on the existing game. Not caninibilizing existing content to squeeze more money out of people who bought the full retail product three months ago. What did you think the Dark Below was, an expansion? Hell, some of the new content was in the game at launch, the only question is how much of it.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I just pulled my first new level purple. Yay!

It's the Prestige. Boo!

Well atleast Edward Norton is awesome. Well crap... wrong magician movie! DAMN YOU!
    And my second! Is also a Prestige!

Bungie is just trolling me at this point.

Well considering the film, it's A-grade trolling.

AH HA! See, I got you thinking about the movie :snap:

I think you'll find the film's title got me thinking about the film.

- he replied, like a dick.

forumsig.png
  • Options

Something about needing
    Eyes, Heart, Hands of something. They are all located in the Cosmodrome.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Someone said earlier in the thread you need an item from Xur to unlock it?
    No. There are 3 new bounties that open up that requires you to patrol the Cosmodrome and get 3 hive baddies. It's kinda fun and after you turn those 3 ones in, you unlock the Strike bounty.

Gah... late spoiler. Wasn't a big one but sowwy!

Celian on
    PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    You can also just get someone like me who has unlocked it if you want to do a nightfall. Cough cough. Do nightfall with me is what I'm saying.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Yowza. Got a One Way Ticket out of a blue!

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Crayon wrote: »
    You can also just get someone like me who has unlocked it if you want to do a nightfall. Cough cough. Do nightfall with me is what I'm saying.

Wait like 3 hours buuuuuudy!

• Options

Fine. Just for you I will. Gonna go draw hearts on my binder with your name in them until then.

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular

Fine. Just for you I will. Gonna go draw hearts on my binder with your name in them until then.

Is it a Peachee? because if so you might want to send your work into Bungie.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Very interesting dickover that they put in the last mission of the DLC...
    Died fighting the cadre of wizards at the end and since the game doesn't restock expended ammo on respawn, ran and hid at the entry way and figured I'd snipe out the encounter (my Heavy restock was on CD because apparently I forgot how to shoot rocket). Anyhoo, there's a Hallowed Knight that gets spawned back there... a very strong one. They also they instantly pop a venation zone at the entrance.

This Hallowed Knight's shields can withstand 3 golden gun shots (because of course he has resistance), and puts up a barrier wall that refreshes his shields even if you get them down to half.

Ha... ha?

edit: also, protip
    You don't have to fight all of them at once if you don't attack them all at the same time. I guess running out of rockets was a good thing? lol

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular

Something about needing
    Eyes, Heart, Hands of something. They are all located in the Cosmodrome.

Also you get those after the 'kill 25 knights/wizards' bounty

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Just got Molniya Type 0 gloves for my Titan from a legendary engram. I love the flavour text.

"So I ask Wei Ning: what about the Darkness itself? What then? And she says: I'll punch it too." - Pahanin Errata

Damn straight. Punch ALL THE THINGS!

Edit: I also encountered a player with new raid gear while doing Vanguard Roc strikes on my Titan... yet they couldn't stay alive during a level 26 Strike.

I didn't die once, how the hell they managed to do it 10 times over the course of two strikes yet have managed to get new raid gear I do not know.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Just got Molniya Type 0 gloves for my Titan from a legendary engram. I love the flavour text.

"So I ask Wei Ning: what about the Darkness itself? What then? And she says: I'll punch it too." - Pahanin Errata

Edit: I also encountered a player with new raid gear while doing Vanguard Roc strikes on my Titan... yet they couldn't stay alive during a level 26 Strike.

I didn't die once, how the hell they managed to do it 10 times over the course of two strikes yet have managed to get new raid gear I do not know.

Sometimes you don't care.

Sometimes someone else is playing your character.

• Options
    Squeeze wrote: »
    Exact same skins but with higher numbers. Lazy.

Vanguard gear has new looks. Making new models on this quality level takes a lot of time and work. Theres clearly tons of new stuff/work here and its not lazy to pick and choose the best places for it.

Do you really think New Monarchy rep items was the best place for them to spend their time and not on new stuff for the raid? Besides, the other option was using the same model for that three factions gear as with the Vanguard stuff which would further the amount of people who look the same.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular

Sometimes your name is LiKeAbAwSe_2012 and you are presumably two years old and can't hold the controller by yourself. But then you double my K/D in the Crucible and I take a break.

I just want the exotic Titan boots. I want them so badly. I can't even imagine what PvP will be like with them equipped.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    Crota's End loot question:

No guns in the normal mode, only armor right? Can every armor piece (helmet, chest, arms, boots) drop in normal mode?

• Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

No primary guns in the normal mode, only armor right? Can every armor piece (helmet, chest, arms, boots) drop in normal mode?

FTFY

I'm not sure I've seen answer regarding whether or not all the armor drops in normal, though.

Erevar on
    KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options

Vanguard gear has new looks. Making new models on this quality level takes a lot of time and work. Theres clearly tons of new stuff/work here and its not lazy to pick and choose the best places for it.

Do you really think New Monarchy rep items was the best place for them to spend their time and not on new stuff for the raid? Besides, the other option was using the same model for that three factions gear as with the Vanguard stuff which would further the amount of people who look the same.

Do you really need to be reminded of the money and manpower at Bungie's disposal? Also, tons of new stuff and work done? You've got to be kidding. Space for the new content was already set out, some of the maps were already mostly done if not done, and some of the armor may have already existed. At launch. You're talking about THREE new armor sets for each class. If Vault of Glass is ANY idication the raid isn't going to be a lot of new mob types either. Bungie is reusing as much or more content than they are adding. I have felt Bungie is being "lazy" with Destiny since day one. Nevemrind what they promised the game to be, it does not stand up to their own pedigree. I'm trying to keep my critique current though, rather than mention things we have alreayd discussed.

• Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    From reddit, official Activision statement about TDB content in Weekly/Nightfall rotation (link: Activision Statement RE: Weekly Strike & Nightfall):
    "All existing strikes and maps are still accessible. Specific activities like nightfall will periodically feature expansion 1 content on the week the newest content is live. New public events, updated weapons and gear, new bounties, and of course the steady stream of updates are all available without additional cost to all players."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/12/09/you-need-destiny-s-the-dark-below-expansion-for-this-week-s-heroic-and-nightfall-strike.aspxp

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

No guns in the normal mode, only armor right? Can every armor piece (helmet, chest, arms, boots) drop in normal mode?

They said no PRIMARY weapon. I think you can still get special or heavy weapon drops.

Anyway, Crota has been killed once so far and confirmed by Bungie.

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Erevar wrote: »

No primary guns in the normal mode, only armor right? Can every armor piece (helmet, chest, arms, boots) drop in normal mode?

FTFY

I'm not sure I've seen answer regarding whether or not all the armor drops in normal, though.

hm

I guess I will wait to buy vanguard stuff until after I see what I can get out of the Raid.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    Stupid wrote: »
    "Irond wrote:
    ...and realize that you, if you're like me, have sunk hundreds of hours into having fun with bros.
    On the day of the first expansion content drop, this may be relevant comment. I question the use of the word "hundreds". Looking at the app, it reports that I, personally, have sunk 131 hours and 9 minuets into this game. Am I horribly behind the curve on this? (Personally I feel like Destiny has been all-consuming for me for the last few months.)

I'm really not sure about this expansion. It really feels like Bungie is focusing on the hardcore players and casual gamers like me are going to be limited to running open world bounties and low-level strikes forever. I'm usually pretty good at understanding game systems, but I'm just not seeing a logical path of advancement here.

EDIT: If the ascended material rewards for gold tier events are back in the game, then this makes things a bit better since that was pretty much my only way of getting shards/energy.

haha i just added it up on the website and i have 275 hours spread across 3 characters (none of which are L30; thanks random raid loot system!). that would represent about 7 weeks of full-time employment. i've definitely gotten my money's worth of my $90 collector's edition investment even if i wish they'd done some things differently in making the game.

it's reasonable to ask about where they're putting their development resources moving forward: if this patch is any indication it's about 70% endgame stuff and 25% multiplayer stuff. the only bit that you could say is particularly casual-friendly is the new strike. it's also fair to say, i think, that this patch seems anemic in terms of content overall.

to be fair to them, bungie has a reasonably low bar for "end-game content" - as someone who could scarcely crack WoW's 20-man "casual" raids a decade ago, the vault of class is positively accessible. still, i know that the hassle of organizing a raid and committing the time and social resources to get through it isn't for everyone.

i think you've read it right. obviously bungie has the numbers and i don't but i suspect that most of the people still playing right now have either at least dipped their toe into endgame content or else are just had-focused on pvp.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I don't have the new content, and it sucks that I don't get to participate in this week's Weekly/Nighfall, but I totally get why they did it and have no objections.

I figure there will be two groups of people:

1. People who see that and say, "Man, I should buy that DLC."
    2. People who see that and say, "So, wait, you just took away that thing I've been enjoying and put it behind a paywall? Fuck you." Then they stop playing.

I understand the intent. The question is, where will the ratio fall?
    I honestly don't think it matters. Without a subscription model, Bungie isn't making any money off of the people who didn't buy the expansion anyway. So they're not going to alter their behavior to please those people, as unfortunate as that is.

they'd be smart to add an elaborate dolly-dress-up and character customization system coupled with microtransactions. i don't fully know the fiscal health of guild wars II but to date they've supported a surprisingly robust content stream for years using nothing but this.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I don't have the new content, and it sucks that I don't get to participate in this week's Weekly/Nighfall, but I totally get why they did it and have no objections.

I figure there will be two groups of people:

1. People who see that and say, "Man, I should buy that DLC."
    2. People who see that and say, "So, wait, you just took away that thing I've been enjoying and put it behind a paywall? Fuck you." Then they stop playing.

I understand the intent. The question is, where will the ratio fall?
    I honestly don't think it matters. Without a subscription model, Bungie isn't making any money off of the people who didn't buy the expansion anyway. So they're not going to alter their behavior to please those people, as unfortunate as that is.

Hopefully Bungie doesn't have this short-sighted of a view towards their customers/playerbase

• Options

Do you really need to be reminded of the money and manpower at Bungie's disposal? Also, tons of new stuff and work done? You've got to be kidding. Space for the new content was already set out, some of the maps were already mostly done if not done, and some of the armor may have already existed. At launch. You're talking about THREE new armor sets for each class. If Vault of Glass is ANY idication the raid isn't going to be a lot of new mob types either. Bungie is reusing as much or more content than they are adding. I have felt Bungie is being "lazy" with Destiny since day one. Nevemrind what they promised the game to be, it does not stand up to their own pedigree. I'm trying to keep my critique current though, rather than mention things we have alreayd discussed.

Six new armor models. The vanguard gear and then the raid gear as well. And I haven't been in the raid yet, but theres already new models for mobs in the missions.

Regardless, you clearly don't know anything about game development. Of course there was stuff done ages ago for this expansion. Because thats how you get shit done in time. And the months leading up to this expansion I can pretty much guarantee that people were working on shit for the third expansion.

• Options

If a game drives you to the point of every post being negative through and through I would look elsewhere for time investment man.

• Options
    I t
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Sometimes your name is LiKeAbAwSe_2012 and you are presumably two years old and can't hold the controller by yourself. But then you double my K/D in the Crucible and I take a break.

I just want the exotic Titan boots. I want them so badly. I can't even imagine what PvP will be like with them equipped.

I guess it depends on if you run into your nemesis, LiKeAbAwSe_2012 again. :P

• Options

If a game drives you to the point of every post being negative through and through I would look elsewhere for time investment man.

it's a good point, i think. like, it's certainly everyone's right to have opinions and wish things were different and bitch about things they don't like. i have plenty of axes to grind!

but ultimately bungie is going to do what they're going to do and if the game is not giving you what you want to the point that you aren't enjoying yourself, it's probably better to go off to other pursuits and keep the good memories of the game you did enjoy.

Wqdwp8l.png