Options

[Destiny] Onward, Guardians, to level 32 and the Dark Below! Eris lives!

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Looks like this is the end for me, Guardians. Between PSN and my internet provoder, I'm unable to connect to online and now unable to play Dragon Age 3 offline.

Fuck my life.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Celian wrote: »
    Celian wrote: »
    I just got the new Game Informer, and inside is an article on TDB. They answer a few fan questions.
    On non-skippable cutscenes:
    "In a connected world where the computing is distributed it's actually an interesting challenge- how do you skip it? Is it a vote system where everybody votes, or just the fireteam leader? And how is that networked? How do you spawn in people afterwards, and does the world reinstate itself? And it's not that simple, unfortunately. That's not an excuse- it's just a reality that is kind of complicated. We are definitely looking at it and it sits in the priority bucket against a bunch of other really important stuff. We're not taking a philosophical stand against it, we're just working on the things we want to work on." - Ryan Ellis, tech director

hahaha, its actually pretty simple

Look at SWTOR. Online MMORPG with cutscenes and dialog choices.

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel and go with what has worked elsewhere.

Right, except the wheel is tens of thousands lines of code. Say you went in and made your networking code to do X, because you didn't consider Y. You can't just splice in Y on top of X because hey, that's how it worked in SWTOR. People look at game features in terms of how it works when they use it. The impact things can have on how you designed your actual code can be kind of crazy. So at this point it's more of an issue that a designer / producer did not think about making that something they need in the game, thus when it was engineered and programmed, it wasn't taken into account and might necessitate more re-write than it's worth.

Edit: Sorry, I get defensive about programming. It's what I do and people soooo often go "Oh, well just make it so it does that instead!" and you can't, cause you spent 2 months making it do what it was asked to be!

I'm a software developer as well. I deal with all types of incredibly intricate and interwoven multiple technology based systems.

I'm in the process of developing my own games on the side and have experience with game engines.

Adding in the ability to skip a cutscene should not be that difficult.

edit: The engine already exists to display the cutscenes. I think the issue from what I've seen is that the cutscenes are independent and unknown by each client. I've been in games where I can hear my buddy's TV and his cutscene is considerably later than mine and I have to wait with a black screen while his finishes. This shows that the world doesn't get "populated" until all currently loaded players cutscenes are done. Add in a button to allow players to end their cutscene. Add a screen saying you are waiting for all players' cutscenes to finish. Its already built to load once cutscenes are done, so all they have to do is add the ability end the cutscene early and go directly to world population.

It can be as stupid as they use the cutscene time to do something valuable. Who knows really. As with everything, I suppose it's one of those things where they evaluate the work to X man hours and they'd rather spend it on something else that seems / feels more important to them. We just don't know what the man hours they evaluated the work to be.

Except that the guy quoted said the issue was none of those thing. The problems they were trying to tackle are:

- Who decides if the cutscene is skipped and how is that networked? This is a dumb problem. Let everyone have individual control. There already exists a system by which everyone watches a cutscene and then the game continues once it is done. Let everyone have control over skipping. Problem solved.
    - How do you spawn in people afterwards? How do you spawn in people now if the fireteam has already watched a cutscene? Again, this shouldn't be a problem.
    - Does the world reinstate itself? What?! Does the world reinstate itself when a player joins in late after a cutscene has already been watched? No. Then again, why is this a problem?

That's my issue with that quote above. Its bullshit and anyone with development experience knows it. What it really means is that they are currently spending their man hours making new content. I know this philosophy in software development: 90% should be spent created ADBB (annual direct business benefit) and 10% towards innovating or fixing old stuff. They will eventually get around to changing this, but since it's not directly creating content that will "make money", its behind a TON of other tweak-type changes that are being bottlenecked by the horrible business philosophy that Activision is pushing onto Bungie.
    I think that all of his points are completely moot given that there is no group-finder outside of the Strike playlists. Unless you are recruiting random people from the tower, you know who you are playing with. There is a 98.465% (randomly chosen) chance that every person in the group is tired of watching the cutscene that has been around for 3 months. If you aren't sure, use that thing strapped to your head called a mic. There have been a ton of games in the past which have successfully tackled this issue. I'm quite confused as to why they believe their situation is so unique that they cannot solve the riddle.

The pretend answers that we were given as to why that ability has not been provided were short of watching a political debate where you hear lots of word, none of which answered a single question, yet only managed to confuse you more. I find it to be condescending.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    Random: Have you ever noticed how Bungie would say "Eyes up, Guardians" before the game released? That seems like the wrong thing to say now, though, doesn't it? I mean, we're going down, down, down to the Dark Below. Shouldn't they be saying "Eyes down, Guardians" now? Only that doesn't sound quite right, either.

Next thing you know, we're in a weird parallel dimension where Tom Cruise is a constantly-respawning Guardian in an adulterous relationship with his ex-wife while they fight the stumpy-alien dudes from Fifth Element and ...

...I think I've gone cross-eyed. ...fucking work. <_<;;

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Definitely cop-out answers.

I just go to orbit before the mission ends, though. *shrug*

*EDIT*
    Except for those couple cutscenes on the moon and I think the first mission on each planet. Kind of boned there.

Remington on
  • Options
    SchlagholzerSchlagholzer Registered User regular
    Why is work a thing? I am jonesing so hard to get out of the office today...I feel like when I was a kid and those big AAA releases that you'd waited YEARS to drop was finally coming out. RNGesus, grant me strength to get through the next two hours.

PSN ID : Schlagholzer
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Did the nightfall with @Shadowfire‌ and friend. Wow that is rough.

So much arc damage, so many melee guys.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    If anybody is looking to start a late night raid around 10pm pst I'll be home from work right about then. We got to the sword/gate part last night before calling it and they will mosy likely complete it while I'm at work. Wouldn't mind starting from the beginning if people wanted to start fresh.
    Xbox one

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Looking for one more on ps4 for nightfall. Step right up, folks!

• Options
    edited December 2014
    @Tommatt : I'm normally a very nice person, but you need to learn to use fucking spoiler tags or I'm going to refer to you as "shitcock" for as long as I know you.

Edit: As much as I don't want to, I might just vacate this thread until after Thursday. <_<

Erevar on
    KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    If anybody is looking to start a late night raid around 10pm pst I'll be home from work right about then. We got to the sword/gate part last night before calling it and they will mosy likely complete it while I'm at work. Wouldn't mind starting from the beginning if people wanted to start fresh.
    Xbox one
    I'm game.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    everyone stop quoting the spoilers

stahp

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So maybe this is a bit dickish of me but I really can't feel empathy for non dlc buyers feeling like some content is being removed.

I mean I honestly can't imagine the human being who enjoys destiny to tje extent they still play it and doesnt want to pay for more destiny.

I'm not saying this unicorn of a man does not exist, I'm just saying I have zero idea how to relate to such a being. Like, does that person eat solid food? Have they heard of Batman? Do they own pants? I just have no idea...

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So maybe this is a bit dickish of me but I really can't feel empathy for non dlc buyers feeling like some content is being removed.

I mean I honestly can't imagine the human being who enjoys destiny to tje extent they still play it and doesnt want to pay for more destiny.

I'm not saying this unicorn of a man does not exist, I'm just saying I have zero idea how to relate to such a being. Like, does that person eat solid food? Have they heard of Batman? Do they own pants? I just have no idea...

I would be that person if I hadn't bought the season pass.

We (wife and two kids) are spending a freaking ton of money to fly back home, have spent a bunch of money on Christmas, just bought a house in June, and have had other surprise expenses as result. All this is leaving us really really tight on cash and I doubt I could get my wife to sign off on $30 for a game right now if it hadn't already been spent months ago.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Blew my mind to play a different map in the Crucible.

I kind of hated it though.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

Yeah if you're still doing the nightfall every week but don't plan to get the expansion then I think you're kind of weird?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Erevar wrote: »
    Tommatt : I'm normally a very nice person, but you need to learn to use fucking spoiler tags or I'm going to refer to you as "shitcock" for as long as I know you.

Edit: As much as I don't want to, I might just vacate this thread until after Thursday. <_<

Err... dude, I think this is a bit of an overreaction to the mere mention of a heavily telegraphed to the point of being nigh impossible to not be included in the raid mechanic.

Seriously.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator Mod Emeritus
    @Tommatt‌ I'd like to join you guys! My Gamertag is Bogestrom.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Is there new +30 light level gear for crucible and faction vendors or just vanguard?

• Options
    Tommatt : I'm normally a very nice person, but you need to learn to use fucking spoiler tags or I'm going to refer to you as "shitcock" for as long as I know you.

Err... dude, I think this is a bit of an overreaction to the mere mention of a heavily telegraphed to the point of being nigh impossible to not be included in the raid mechanic.

Seriously.

As of right now, the only thing I know definitively about the raid is that it takes place on the moon and that it involves the Hive. I don't think it's asking too much to spoiler-flag any information that is raid-related on the day that it is released.

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

People who just started playing can't even experience the nightfall or weekly.

And I bet there are some folks who will be new since Destiny is now one of the free PS4 games you get when you buy the system.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    DUde in this strike with me has the Radiant Dance Machines already :(

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular

Seriously.

As of right now, the only thing I know definitively about the raid is that it takes place on the moon and that it involves the Hive. I don't think it's asking too much to spoiler-flag any information that is raid-related on the day that it is released.
    Reminder that no one was getting called names when they posted "now we're in a stealth section in the VoG! This is great!" Rather, those posts got loads of Awesomes.

So maybe chill the fuck out?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options

Seriously.

Reminder that no one was getting called names when they posted "now we're in a stealth section in the VoG! This is great!" Rather, those posts got loads of Awesomes.

Fine. I'm out until after Thursday.

Good luck, Guardians.

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    Maybe Erevar overreacted but I think spoilers for awhile would be a nice thing to do.

i'm sure you've got 19 extra characters per post in you

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

I think most people would love to pay for more Destiny. It's the $20 asking price which is the concern.

I'll probably get the DLC since I still like Destiny (and MCC is still a broken mess), but at that price I'd expect a whole new planet.

Arteen on
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Is there new +30 light level gear for crucible and faction vendors or just vanguard?
    Per the release notes, all legendary gear in the Tower has been replaced. That means that any legendary gear in the Tower (including Crucible) has been replaced with expansion gear.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular

Seriously.

And since then a ton of people have expressed interest into going into the new raid entirely blind

Erevar was probably too vehement in his response, but I don't think its too much to ask to spoiler stuff. Even small stuff.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

With the weeklies, there were three options. The weeklies include dlc and non-dlc people get left out occationally. The weeklies don't include dlc and the dlc people never see the stuff they paid extra for. A second weekly option is added just for DLC.

For the Tiger strikes, I can understand the frustration there, because it does revert things back to the time when strikes didn't give engrams. And which people were quite justifiably happy to see change. Personally, I think they should have left a lower level loot table in place in those strikes.

I suspect that much of the motivation for not adding a separate DLC weekly option or leaving the engrams in Tiger was specifically to push DLC sales.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    So is the vanguard/crucible gear worth grabbing, or since I'm already level 30 should I just basically be going for Raid drops?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Just did the new strike on normal......Jeebus.

So, uh, anybody want to do the Nightfall?

No way in hell am I trying that with an LFG group.

I'm gonna be farming Helium for a little while, if somebody is interested feel free to drop me a line on PSN.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Just did the new strike on normal......Jeebus.

So, uh, anybody want to do the Nightfall?

No way in hell am I trying that with an LFG group.

I'm gonna be farming Helium for a little while, if somebody is interested feel free to drop me a line on PSN.

Rauhy and I need a third! Come on in.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So is the vanguard/crucible gear worth grabbing, or since I'm already level 30 should I just basically be going for Raid drops?
    Since you are already 30, I can't really say whether the gear is or is not worth it. I was 29 (half-way to 30), obtained 3 new legendary pieces, upgraded each about 2 slot in and am almost back to the same status as before. I don't know if that's helpful to you. What I would recommend is to go do a comparison. Since the patch a few weeks ago, they now show the ceiling limits on each gear, so that'll help the decision process.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    @Tommatt : I'm normally a very nice person, but you need to learn to use fucking spoiler tags or I'm going to refer to you as "shitcock" for as long as I know you.

This is twice you've @'d me, what the duck did I spoil? It's a hive strike, it's below ground, there's hive enemies. Holy fuck what have I spoiled?

• Options

This is twice you've @'d me, what the duck did I spoil? It's a hive strike, it's below ground, there's hive enemies. Holy fuck what have I spoiled?
    A more tactful explanation is "Would you kindly use spoiler blocks when discussing the new content? Even if you think you aren't giving anything away, some people prefer to go in blind."

And about 10 hours later, you discover that I'm actually a mastermind evil bastard who has brainwashed you to do my bidding at the drop of "would you kindly."

• Options

Like the 29/30 vanguard/raid split, the new vanguard stuff can get you 31, raid to 32. So again it comes down to whether to spend resources upgrading the lower tier faction stuff or save it for raid gear. But if the RNG hates you as much as it does me, you'll probably use some faction gear for a while.

• Options
    RNG basically acts like I'm the little brother it never wanted.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    starting crota raid

ooohohh shit

also I will forever call these either scroat runs

or "bag runs"

• Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »
    Squeeze wrote: »
    Squeeze wrote: »
    Exact same skins but with higher numbers. Lazy.

Vanguard gear has new looks. Making new models on this quality level takes a lot of time and work. Theres clearly tons of new stuff/work here and its not lazy to pick and choose the best places for it.

Do you really think New Monarchy rep items was the best place for them to spend their time and not on new stuff for the raid? Besides, the other option was using the same model for that three factions gear as with the Vanguard stuff which would further the amount of people who look the same.

Do you really need to be reminded of the money and manpower at Bungie's disposal? Also, tons of new stuff and work done? You've got to be kidding. Space for the new content was already set out, some of the maps were already mostly done if not done, and some of the armor may have already existed. At launch. You're talking about THREE new armor sets for each class. If Vault of Glass is ANY idication the raid isn't going to be a lot of new mob types either. Bungie is reusing as much or more content than they are adding. I have felt Bungie is being "lazy" with Destiny since day one. Nevemrind what they promised the game to be, it does not stand up to their own pedigree. I'm trying to keep my critique current though, rather than mention things we have alreayd discussed.

If a game drives you to the point of every post being negative through and through I would look elsewhere for time investment man.

it's a good point, i think. like, it's certainly everyone's right to have opinions and wish things were different and bitch about things they don't like. i have plenty of axes to grind!

but ultimately bungie is going to do what they're going to do and if the game is not giving you what you want to the point that you aren't enjoying yourself, it's probably better to go off to other pursuits and keep the good memories of the game you did enjoy.

I would like to think I can enjoy a game and question the direction it is heading in at the same time. At present I am still playing the game and enjoying my time in it. As far as understanding developement goes, it doesn't take a rocket science to look at someone's performance and spot a low point. At the least I should be able to handle it better than someone who can't count right? As much fun as I am having playing the game, "shoot mans" isn't as juicy a topic for me right now as the expansions issues. I am wondering a bit about the pay model at the moment as well. Buying a new "expansion" of this caliber every few months isn't a monthly fee, but it's not much content for price either. Then there is the knowledge a "sequal" is in the works already. How, when, and in what amounts the ten year money trained is planned could very well shape the industry in the future.

• Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Xbox one

I'll be home at midnight PST and I was in the same group as Tommat last night. Really wishing my work hours were better suited but I am really itching to get back in to this thing.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Like the 29/30 vanguard/raid split, the new vanguard stuff can get you 31, raid to 32. So again it comes down to whether to spend resources upgrading the lower tier faction stuff or save it for raid gear. But if the RNG hates you as much as it does me, you'll probably use some faction gear for a while.

However, it also appears that they are requiring a Commendation to purchase the new vanguard helmets and chests. Which you only apparently get one when you rank up faction rep. Which means getting that faction gear is going to be 6+ times slower than before.

SiliconStew on