As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Because Geebs' Inquisitor is getting too old for this shit

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Alistair is the example of how a Carth can actually be a good character, but he's still a Carth

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I guess I don't know what you mean by it then

I usually hear that described as "boring, flat character with no personality"

which alisair is not

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I've never played KOTOR so have no idea what "being a Carth" means

It's dudes way of saying they're made uncomfortable by a guy who's there for ladies only.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Design plays a big part of it to me

"Bland white guy" is not limited to the personality

When I see a Carth, I see a character a shitty executive would want to have on the box art so "people will relate to it"

Carthness is a spectum, not binary

Basically the scale runs from the low end, Carth/Anders, to the high end, Alistair/Nathan Drake

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I've never played KOTOR so have no idea what "being a Carth" means

It's dudes way of saying they're made uncomfortable by a guy who's there for ladies only.

No that's not it at all

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    It is "bland white guy character" with no personality

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Design plays a big part of it to me

"Bland white guy" is not limited to the personality

When I see a Carth, I see a character a shitty executive would want to have on the box art so "people will relate to it"

Carthness is a spectum, not binary

Basically the scale runs from the low end, Carth/Anders, to the high end, Alistair/Nathan Drake

I don't really get this

do you just mean "guy who is white" then

cause that doesn't really seem fair

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I admit I was being salty with that reply.

But youre explanation doesn't fit either, else Alistair or Cullen or even Anders would never make that list.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    It's not a good list

PSN- AHermano
  • Options

I admit I was being salty with that reply.

But youre explanation doesn't fit either, else Alistair or Cullen or even Anders would never make that list.

I don't think Anders or Cullen is one

I admit I don't know much about anders, I didn't talk to him at all in mine, he might not be

I think Mr. G is being way too liberal with it

• Options
    And even if it's not the entire explanation, I do feel like "this character was designed to appeal to women" characters tend to get a lot more flack than "this character was designed to appeal to men" characters. People do not go on for pages about Bastilla's boringness or her pat, cliche character beats.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    they all kind of look the same

but I haven't played any of those games other than inquisition

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    And even if it's not the entire explanation, I do feel like "this character was designed to appeal to women" characters tend to get a lot more flack than "this character was designed to appeal to men" characters. People do not go on for pages about Bastilla's boringness or her pat, cliche character beats.

I mean

I generally think Bioware does a lot better job making its female characters less boring

Bastilla is boring

but she doesn't represent a template bioware has used over and over again

Ashley, Morrigan, Miranda, Aveline

All of those have way more going on than Carth, Kaiden... the... guy in Kotor 2 whose name I literally can't remember

I mean this is going to be subjective, but I don't think its crazy to say a lot of those dudes have really basically nothing going on

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think Kaidan has a personality. And I've never got the complaint that Kaidan is whiny. He only tells you his backstory if you prod him on it, explicitly tells you not to feel sorry for him or whatever, and has no unresolved issues that he needs Shepard's help with.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Alistair is the worrrrrrrrrrst

"it's so haaaaard to be an elite warrior who could have a legitimate claim for the throne if he had any initiative outside of what the super-protagonist tells him to do"

• Options
    I agree that he's not as bad as Carth or Kaidan though

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I mean I love Alistair to bits but he is way whinier than Kaidan. For that matter Fenris is too. He even has emo hair.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Honestly Sera could be the nicest person ever and I'd still want to bash her head against the nearest hard object whenever she spoke

Delightful!

It would be

the jury might even give me a medal, I imagine

• Options
    yeah but Kaidan is just charisma-less, Alistair does have his moments

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    In other inquisition related gripes I am v disappointed by its soundtrack which I found to be a bit bland, aside from the Temple of Mythal theme, which is fab

Trevor moore is a great composer too, and did great work for the Borgias and Vikings.

But DAII had such a unique soundtrack and DA:I has nothing approaching songs like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJmpkpbCTFM

• Options
    I think Kaidan has a personality. And I've never got the complaint that Kaidan is whiny. He only tells you his backstory if you prod him on it, explicitly tells you not to feel sorry for him or whatever, and has no unresolved issues that he needs Shepard's help with.

Yeah I don't really think kaiden is whiny either

I still think he's super boring though

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I still like DA:I's soundtrack a lot more than DA:O's, though

That soundtrack was mostly just trying to channel Lord of the Rings.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I was going to say Carth's secret past as a Jedi-killer was quite cool but that was some other dude apparently

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    I mean I love Alistair to bits but he is way whinier than Kaidan. For that matter Fenris is too. He even has emo hair.

I think I have a different definition of whiny than other people. To me whiny is someone who complains about things that are really pretty minor (like whining that they have a splinter or that the office is slightly too cold). Whereas if you're crying because your son is missing or your father figure is dead, I don't really consider that whining.

Especially if you only get those complaints because you're close to those people and you asked about it.

• Options
    My only real complaint w/ Alistair is that my Human Noble can't talk more about how all her family died recently (but at least she can mention it, which is better than Luke & Leia in A New Hope).

• Options
    My only real complaint w/ Alistair is that my Human Noble can't talk more about how all her family died recently (but at least she can mention it, which is better than Luke & Leia in A New Hope).

can any of the origins go "join the club" at that

since like almost all of them have their family horrifically murdered

• Options

I wouldn't say there's no backlash against characters like that, cuz there totally is, at least in some parts of the internet.

But speaking for myself, I totally dislike "The Carth"

Not because he's meant to appeal to women per se, but because he always feels like there was a dude writer awkwardly trying to script a romance for women and not really knowing what to do with it.

A big reason for that I think is that a lot of previous Bioware titles suffer from an agency problem. Culturally men are expected to take the initiative in romance, which overlaps neatly with protagonists getting all the agency in picking who they're gonna bang out of the bevy of willing hotties. And then the male writers have to write a romance where it's the lady with all the initiative and agency, and inevitably it means the dude is either going to be a sensitive wounded warrior or just a slumpy milquetoast, because they have to justify the male characters lack of agency in the romance. Or something. Maybe that's just me?

At some point Bioware seems like they've figured this thing out though, because the Inquisition romances are waaaaay better written. Like it feels like they have a give-and-take in most of the romances now that feels way more organic than most of the others they've done.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

can any of the origins go "join the club" at that

since like almost all of them have their family horrifically murdered

Look if you wanna make an RPG hero you're gonna have to break some eggs.

Orphans are scientifically proven to save the world 64% more successfully.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

I wouldn't say there's no backlash against characters like that, cuz there totally is, at least in some parts of the internet.

Not because he's meant to appeal to women per se, but because he always feels like there was a dude writer awkwardly trying to script a romance for women and not really knowing what to do with it.

A big reason for that I think is that a lot of previous Bioware titles suffer from an agency problem. Culturally men are expected to take the initiative in romance, which overlaps neatly with protagonists getting all the agency in picking who they're gonna bang out of the bevy of willing hotties. And then the male writers have to write a romance where it's the lady with all the initiative and agency, and inevitably it means the dude is either going to be a sensitive wounded warrior or just a slumpy milquetoast, because they have to justify the male characters lack of agency in the romance. Or something. Maybe that's just me?

At some point Bioware seems like they've figured this thing out though, because the Inquisition romances are waaaaay better written. Like it feels like they have a give-and-take in most of the romances now that feels way more organic than most of the others they've done.

They've definitely been getting much better for sure

and yeah the milquetoast or woe is me guy is totally what I'm going for there

even Alistair, who is sort of that second one, has more charisma and a bit more depth to him

But the recent romances, especially those in DAI, have been doing a better job of being characters first and romances second, instead of the "romance" first, with their personality just feeling like background info

• Options

Well just speaking for myself, I haven't seen a romance yet that's anywhere near as good as Alistair's. The Alistair romance has many good beats to it and they occur throughout.

Though Cullen's romance is quite good.

• Options
    Alistair has aspects of the milquetoast thing, but he also has a good sense of humor about it and sort of calls himself out on it too.

I don't really mind Alistair

• Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    also alistair does, however reluctantly, step up and play his part in the end, despite the occasional bout of griping and pouting along the way

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I like Alistair a lot because his voice actor invested him with a huge amount of charm and genuine empathy and he is just a really decent dude

• Options
    Alistair is a bit of a chump, he knows he's a bit of a chump, he can live with that

• Options
    The thing that I -really- like with how Inquisition does the romance dialogue is that characters will remember if you flirted with them.

So like if you were all flirty last time, once you hit that next discussion the character will just launch right back into flirty dialogue, and if you declined to flirt then they'll stick to business. It makes it feel like a natural conversation and lets the player choose who they want to romance, without it feeling like the player is like, harassing them into love (*cough*Bastilla*cough*). It makes it feel like an actual romantic story instead of a dating sim.

It's a much better balance than like, ME's system (agree with them until they like you and have sex before the last mission), or some of the bits they tried in previous Dragon Ages, where you can't walk down the street without npcs throwing themselves at you.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I like Alistair a lot because his voice actor invested him with a huge amount of charm and genuine empathy and he is just a really decent dude

Ya, this is a big one too. Alistair's VA absolutely elevates the character. Like when I think about what I like about Alistair, it's way more about the performance than necessarily the written personality.

Alistair could be waaaay less likeable with a different actor. Whereas say, Miranda... Who would even care?
    Sera > Miranda

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Ya, this is a big one too. Alistair's VA absolutely elevates the character. Like when I think about what I like about Alistair, it's way more about the performance than necessarily the written personality.

Alistair could be waaaay less likeable with a different actor. Whereas say, Miranda... Who would even care?
    Sera > Miranda

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that spoiler

• Options

Sera > Miranda

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that spoiler

amen

amen

• Options
    I mean

At least Sera has friends

:rotate:

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    And a better ass.

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.