As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax Prime Newbie 2015

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    There's an IGA Supermarket on 3rd and Pike, much closer than Uwajimaya.

Is that the place with the escalators at the entrance? Because if it is they're pretty good, though I think they close at 10pm.

May PAX be upon you.
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    jumboto wrote: »
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    Okay it was more of a convenience store, and less of a grocery store. It was not a gas station(my mistake)
    I think the Target on 2nd and Union might have groceries (I know the Target in Woodinville does), but there's definitely a grocery story at Uwajimaya in the International District. Just hop a bus going Downtown or catch the south-bound light rail and it'll get you right there.
    There's an IGA Supermarket on 3rd and Pike, much closer than Uwajimaya.

There is also the market up on Pike, just past the entrance of the Homewood, named...

*drum roll*

Pike Grocery

http://www.pikegrocery.com/

I frequented the place the last two years. Not the cheapest place around, but very nice to have that close. And as the Homewood is an extended stay hotel, they never looked at us funny if we walked in with bags of food stuffs. :)

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular

What do you mean by you had it changed to the normal amount later? Where they trying to over charge you?

So, typically some hotels will charge you their normal rate and then reduce the charges later. Or they can also have a "safety charge" which they will charge you and reduce later when they confirm that you haven't vomited all over the walls like a crazy person. We got charged the full safety rate and it pretty much blew my friend's credit limit

• jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    Typically this happens just to reflect the price you were actually quoted. They charge you the regular room cost and change it to the Prime rate afterward. This all takes place after you check out though. Same thing happened to me at the Sheraton in 2013 I was shocked and then swiftly relieved.

I see, also how fast does Sheraton sell out? Do I need to run the badge que and hotel page in tandem to have a shot?

It's been my experience that the Sheraton fills up pretty quick. You may not need to have both pages open at the same time but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Just make sure you don't get so distracted on the hotel page that you forget about the badge page timer.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The hotels are usually open longer than the badges, and critically, you can camp the hotel page throughout the summer and try to change things around if people cancel their reservations.

Through OnPeak, none of the hotels will charge you anything to cancel until, at a minimum, 30 days before the convention. The hand-off from OnPeak to the hotel occurs at that point, and from there you need to interact with the hotel directly if you want to change anything. Most of the rates OnPeak have typically had the same rules as normal hotel rates, i.e., the kind you pay at checkout instead of in advance.

You won't be able to see the PAX rates on a hotel's website or Expedia or whatever, though you may see other options (i.e., pre-pay rates, special discounts for AAA, etc.). Also one year one of my buddies used his Starwood points so that we could stay in the W, so that's also a possibility if you know anyone who travels a lot.

PAX is so spread out now that in some ways maybe getting the former Red Lion or such is better than the Sheraton, as it's between the WSCC and Benaroya, and was where a large chunk of tabletop was last year. (Tabletop keeps moving around, so don't necessarily bet on it being there again this year). Several of the hotels have also had one or more theaters in them, and I will say it's kind of nice to just leave my room, get in the elevator, ride down to the 2nd floor, and then go get in line for a panel.

ASimPerson on
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    I highly recommend The Paramount Hotel for anyone going to PAX. A lot of people don't think about it, and it's about as close as the Sheraton. No hills to walk up when you're tired, the restaurant in the bottom floor has fantastic deals on good food and drinks for happy hour and late night (I'm talking I got a huge meal and drinks for under $15), and the rooms are pretty good too. It's essentially located right behind the annex. It didn't fill up really fast, since I had about 20 minutes from the time I got out of the hotel queue to when I actually booked because I was wishy-washy and indecisive.

Last year, myself and three other cosplayers split a single bed room. It was small for all of us, considering we had totes on top of totes of armor and things, but for the price we payed it was well worth it. One of my roomies and I figured out that in the morning, we would just come in through the Annex about 5-after and pop right up into the expo hall. Super convenient. I'm planning on booking there again this year.

It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url
  • WolfmanASTNWolfmanASTN Registered User regular
    I highly recommend The Paramount Hotel for anyone going to PAX. A lot of people don't think about it, and it's about as close as the Sheraton. No hills to walk up when you're tired, the restaurant in the bottom floor has fantastic deals on good food and drinks for happy hour and late night (I'm talking I got a huge meal and drinks for under $15), and the rooms are pretty good too. It's essentially located right behind the annex. It didn't fill up really fast, since I had about 20 minutes from the time I got out of the hotel queue to when I actually booked because I was wishy-washy and indecisive.

Last year, myself and three other cosplayers split a single bed room. It was small for all of us, considering we had totes on top of totes of armor and things, but for the price we payed it was well worth it. One of my roomies and I figured out that in the morning, we would just come in through the Annex about 5-after and pop right up into the expo hall. Super convenient. I'm planning on booking there again this year.

Do you remember what the rate was for a room there?

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

I second this- I was there for PAX 2010 and loved it. It was also one of the more reasonably -priced hotels on the list, as I recall.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Personally, I really enjoyed staying at the Westin. I found that the customer service here has always been great and that its only a couple blocks walk from the convention center (Even on the same route as a starbucks).

I think I paid $400/night for the 8 of us last year (That would be $200/night for a 2 bed unit), so the prices were quite affordable in my opinion.

pogoplay on
    Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • DasJesterDasJester Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    This is going to be my first Pax event but I've stayed at the Westin for Privateer Press Lock N Load Event. I reserved the hotel room months in advance and had forgotten that I had put a smart remark on my reservation. "Are there any special accommodations?" My Answer = "An awesome pillow fort that can repel Zombie invasions".

The Westin actually set-up an awesome pillow fort by the window with a print out that read "FORT WESTIN".

DasJester on
    DasJester wrote: »
    This is going to be my first Pax event but I've stayed at the Westin for Privateer Press Lock N Load Event. I reserved the hotel room months in advance and had forgotten that I had put a smart remark on my reservation. "Are there any special accommodations?" My Answer = "An awesome pillow fort that can repel Zombie invasions".

The Westin actually set-up an awesome pillow fort by the window with a printer that read "FORT WESTIN".

Can you imagine if everyone attending hotels at PAX Requested this?

Twitter @Pogoplay
  • wyndstarwyndstar West coast CanadaRegistered User regular
    My friends and I drove from Canada and stopped at a Costco (i think it was bellingham) on the way in to load up on stuff. flats of water and pop, muffins, croissants, munchies, and booze. then we didn't have to worry about breakfasts or snacks. You could make sure your hotel has a mini fridge and get things like yogurt and fruit.
    Drink lots of water and eat well to avoid the con crud. have granola bars in your backpack or bags of nuts for when you get peckish waiting in line :)

PAX 2015: got tickets, woo hoo!
    PAX 2014: had a blast.. let's do it again!
    Advice from my first PAX... I was so hopped up on adrenaline that I didn't really eat or sleep at all during PAX (just dinners and 5 hours a night. Rough stuff). Though it was survivable, it was not ideal. Bring water and a protein rich snack with you and you won't regret it! And unless you're getting up early to step into the merch line for exclusives... sleep in :)

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, skipping one meal a day isn't so bad (I recommend lunch if you have to skip one). Skipping two? You're a zombie. With a similar hunger.

Bring a water bottle, some good snacks, remember that a vector bar in the morning is NOT a breakfast (or a lunch, or a dinner) and fuel your body with a decent food.

A big caveat I ram down the throats of anyone who asks for my advice for east (As I'm a grizzled veteran of the BCEC by now) is that while comfortable shoes are key, there's one more element that's just as vital: the shoes need to be SUPPORTIVE.
    I have horribly flat feet (zero arch whatsoever...they're more like flippers, really) so I have to choose shoes carefully if I'm on them all day. A good amount of support in the shoes can make the difference between being tired at the end of the day and feeling like death (I avoid wearning Chucks or simialr shoes. I can get away with the more built-up kinds of skater shoes like Vans, but proper cross-trainers or sneaker-cut hiking shoes are the best for me).

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    Yeah, skipping one meal a day isn't so bad (I recommend lunch if you have to skip one). Skipping two? You're a zombie. With a similar hunger.

Bring a water bottle, some good snacks, remember that a vector bar in the morning is NOT a breakfast (or a lunch, or a dinner) and fuel your body with a decent food.

A big caveat I ram down the throats of anyone who asks for my advice for east (As I'm a grizzled veteran of the BCEC by now) is that while comfortable shoes are key, there's one more element that's just as vital: the shoes need to be SUPPORTIVE.
    I have horribly flat feet (Zero arch whatsoever...they're more like flippers, really) so Ihave to choose shoes carefully if I'm on them all day. A good amount of support in the shoes can make the difference between being tired at the end of the day and feeling like death (I avoid wearning Chucks or simialr shoes. I can get away with the more built=up kinds of skater shoes like Vans, but proper cross-trainers or sneaker-cut hiking shoes are the best for me).

Yeah and break in your shoes if you get a new pair! My sneakers are on the downhill slope towards death so I'm planning on getting a new pair in July before Prime. You do NOT want to have blisters. First year mistake: wearing brand new converse with no inserts. Horrible idea.

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I say it every year - extra pair of socks. when it finally dawns on you that you have been on your feet for 10 hours straight, and you still have 6 hours to go, switching to a fresh pair of socks will make you a new man (or woman). As for how to store gross socks in your bag - quart sized ziploc freezer bag, and if you know your feet sweat, a little bit of baking soda.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • SleepyDustSleepyDust Registered User regular
    If possible, bring more than one pair of walking shoes. From what I have read "on the internet" this will let your shoes decompress (think cushioning and support), and have extra time to air out from any sweat and rain puddles. I hear it can be a bit rainy in Seattle. Additionally switching out to another style of shoe will hopefully not overload any one particular muscle/ligament/tendon etc. and provide some relief for sore feet. I recommend looking up articles for runners, lots of useful information to be found on the care and maintenance of your feet and shoes.

• DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    A good amount of support in the shoes can make the difference between being tired at the end of the day and feeling like death (I avoid wearning Chucks or simialr shoes. I can get away with the more built-up kinds of skater shoes like Vans, but proper cross-trainers or sneaker-cut hiking shoes are the best for me).

I grew up in Chucks. I love my Converse. I have high arches and have finally, after 30 years, admitted to myself that I cannot wear them for long periods of time.

There is, however, a solution. A solution that is guaranteed to make a kid run faster and jump higher.

PF Flyers.

Canvass sneakers with arch support! I have worn them at concerts, walking around NYC for the day, work (on my feet in a kitchen), and they passed the con test at ECCC this year.

But, also using two pairs of shoes and changing your socks at lunch helps save your feet.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    One trick that I learned for my first PAX is to freeze a bottle of water in your room. At the end of the day or in the middle if you are taking a break, roll your feet on them and change your socks. Though they were not back to 100% it sure helped!

And make sure your shoes have good arch support! Go hit a Running Room for inserts if your current comfy shoes just ain't doing it for you anymore. This will save your feet by day 4 and you won't have to take a week off to recover. Well...not for your feet anyways.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
    edited May 2015
    That's a good idea with freezing the water in your room.... I might just do that myself this year.

pogoplay on
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    As a long-time East attendee, is there anything different about Prime that I should know about?

From what I've gotten from friends who go to both, Prime is a lot more spread out so familiarizing yourself with the area beforehand is critical. Even being familiar with the area I totally got lost looking for Benaroya Hall last year and that cost me about three blocks of walking and fifteen minutes. The convention center itself is also pretty convoluted, but if you show up before PAX there's actually a decent amount of it you can walk around to get a little more familiar with it.

If you're getting in even a day before, I highly recommend just walking around and figuring out how long it would take you to make it from location to location at a relaxed pace. Also it'll give you a chance to scope out some of the various little restaurants and such around the area. Be advised that since the area PAX takes place in is in the office district that a lot of spots close around 8 p.m. or so so you're better off stocking up beforehand.

There are a Target and a Walgreen's only 3-4 blocks west of the convention center, but their selections are rather limited. If you have access to a fridge or can bring your own (I bring a mini-fridge with me) I recommend stocking up on fruit, veggies, bread and the like at either Uwajimaya's and/or Pike Place. Both of which you should visit, but will be busy as fuck during the weekend in general so save yourself the hassle and go earlier.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    As a long-time East attendee, is there anything different about Prime that I should know about?

@Alazull has some good ones. The big differences we saw:
    • East there are only a couple hotels close to the con otherwise it is a 20-25 minute walk. At Prime everything is in easy walking distance.
    • Food at East is also a good long walk from the con where as Prime everything is within easy walking distance.
    • East tabletop area is all in one place and well organized. Prime tabletop is scattered out into small rooms between two different buildings. It's hard to find games sometimes or for people to even find the area to play.
    • The expo halls is a bit more cramped at Prime but that may change with the use of the queue room this year.
    • You will be spending time outside walking between the different buildings to get to panels, waiting in line, etc so bring sunscreen if you are white as a ghost like me. :)
    • Con wise, East is easy to navigate but Prime is spread out. Make sure to have a look at your badge at all the different floors and buildings where things will be happening. Ask someone if you can't find something you are looking for.
    • If you are on east coast time, pikes market in the early morning is amazing. We are usually up and out the door around 6am PST so we have breakfast at Pikes Market out by the ocean. It's really pretty. There is a french pastry place and a crumpet place that are to DIE FOR down there.

I'm sure there is more but that's what I have right now. Let me think some more. ;)

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Another note about going into and out of buildings, at Prime there has not been a coat\bag check in many many years, keep that in mind when you leave your room in the morning.

There are indeed many food options within a few blocks of WSCC, but there is a steep drop off of crowds every block you get away. So if you are willing to travel 3+ blocks, you will see far fewer PAX crowds and less waiting to get seated.

Many of the restaurants in the area do take out. For instance I often call Cheesecake Factory from the south lobby, place an order, wait a few minutes, walk down and pick it up, and bring it back somewhere else to eat. Good food, no waiting for a table.

As far as figuring out your way around, there is likely to be some sort of quick reference directory on the back of your badge again, use it, it can be super helpful.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if any of the supermarkets around the area offer a delivery service, e.g. Peapod? I'm coming from Boston, and first time to Seattle...I'm not familiar with the area and would prefer to have the bulk of my provisions delivered.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    AmazonFresh is always an option.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • SleepyDustSleepyDust Registered User regular
    While I was checking to see if Amazon Fresh will deliver to a hotel, somebody already mentioned them. And, yes, they do deliver to a hotel according to an article I read where that was something the writer specifically tested.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular

Great! I will check them out...because I seriously don't want to be lugging a case of water to the hotel.

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular

Great! I will check them out...because I seriously don't want to be lugging a case of water to the hotel.

There is a mom & pop market on the same block as the Homewood called Pike Grocery.

The Homewood, if you happen to be staying there, does offer a "Complimentary grocery shopping service" for it's quests.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png

[*] You will be spending time outside walking between the different buildings to get to panels, waiting in line, etc so bring sunscreen if you are white as a ghost like me.

Yes, bring sunscreen. But remember this is Seattle. While it looks as if we're going to have a very dry summer, that could be the one weekend it just dumps. So remember a light raincoat also. Lines are all outside and not under cover for the most part.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    DashD wrote: »

[*] You will be spending time outside walking between the different buildings to get to panels, waiting in line, etc so bring sunscreen if you are white as a ghost like me.

Yes, bring sunscreen. But remember this is Seattle. While it looks as if we're going to have a very dry summer, that could be the one weekend it just dumps. So remember a light raincoat also. Lines are all outside and not under cover for the most part.

In general unless you're from a really cold climate I recommend bringing a jacket and a few pairs of actual pants.

If you try going all t-shirts and shirts, you're going to regret it.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    This is a small grocery store with some fresh items and basics, located 1 block from the con. I think it's fairly new. Don't be fooled by the picture of the Pike Place Farmer's Market on the landing page, this store is in the Homewood Suites.

http://www.homewoodsuitesseattle.com/market.php

There are other full size stores a short bus ride away (Pike Place Farmer's Market, Uwajimaya, IGA, QFC, Broadway Market)

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pike Grocery opened right after prime 2012 iirc. It's definitely a handy little store. Not a huge selection, but it's generally had the things I've wanted with some serious convenience.

Oh, I just had a thought for everyone!

If you're going to go out to dinner any of the nights of PAX I recommend making your reservations as early as possible. If possible, a month in advance if you're going to someplace really fancy, but a week in advance if you already know your group wants to go out and where, and a day in advance if you're playing it by ear. Always book for two more people than you're expecting, because you never know when you're going to meet someone the day of and invite them to dinner with you, and two seats isn't a gross overbooking. If you are going to be late, call the restaurant and inform the person who handles seating so that you don't lose your table. On a busy weekend in the summer you'll be lucky if they hold your table for five minutes before some regulars snap that up. Don't be surprised if some places ask you for a credit card number or something like that, this is their way of making sure you're a real person and not just making a blanket of reservations to just pick whichever place you want to go or even to troll a bunch of restaurants.

There's some restaurant reservation apps and websites. If anyone can recommend any please link them, and I'll look into them myself. However this is pretty much the industry standard way to make sure you have a decent table and get to eat without being shoved off in a cramps spot near the bathrooms.

• jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Oh, I just had a thought for everyone!

If you're going to go out to dinner any of the nights of PAX I recommend making your reservations as early as possible. If possible, a month in advance if you're going to someplace really fancy, but a week in advance if you already know your group wants to go out and where, and a day in advance if you're playing it by ear. Always book for two more people than you're expecting, because you never know when you're going to meet someone the day of and invite them to dinner with you, and two seats isn't a gross overbooking. If you are going to be late, call the restaurant and inform the person who handles seating so that you don't lose your table. On a busy weekend in the summer you'll be lucky if they hold your table for five minutes before some regulars snap that up. Don't be surprised if some places ask you for a credit card number or something like that, this is their way of making sure you're a real person and not just making a blanket of reservations to just pick whichever place you want to go or even to troll a bunch of restaurants.

There's some restaurant reservation apps and websites. If anyone can recommend any please link them, and I'll look into them myself. However this is pretty much the industry standard way to make sure you have a decent table and get to eat without being shoved off in a cramps spot near the bathrooms.

I used the open table app in 2013 to book a reservation at the Pink Door while in transit to the restaurant. Worked great and had no wait time at all.

• CrodeCrode BC CanadaRegistered User new member
    I was fortunate enough to find a bed at Green Tortoise Hostel at Pike Place so watch out for opening there if you cannot afford expensive hotel rooms. And last I checked all hotel rooms in the area are gone. I don't plan on sleeping much anyways =)

Crode wrote: »
    I don't plan on sleeping much anyways =)

Bad idea. I know I don't get as much sleep as I should during PAX, but if you are physically and mentally exhausted from too little sleep, you are more susceptible to PAX Pox. Make sure you get the rest you need to stay healthy.

PAX_Badge_Sig.png
    DashD wrote: »
    Crode wrote: »
    I don't plan on sleeping much anyways =)

Bad idea. I know I don't get as much sleep as I should during PAX, but if you are physically and mentally exhausted from too little sleep, you are more susceptible to PAX Pox. Make sure you get the rest you need to stay healthy.

Yep. My first PAX I ate only homemade chex mix and slept about 4 hours a night; though at the time I was running on adrenaline and felt fine, when I got home it was like I had been hit by a truck. Not ideal.

I did learn though though I was anxious not to miss a single minute of PAX being open, it's okay to step away from it a bit and take a long lunch, wakeup later, etc! I've had some pretty cool side experiences that were not organized by PAX that I would have totally slipped by if it wasn't for getting away (I'm looking at you Harvard Burger Joint. Yuuuuuuum)

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Keroan wrote: »
    I did learn though though I was anxious not to miss a single minute of PAX being open, it's okay to step away from it a bit and take a long lunch, wakeup later, etc! I've had some pretty cool side experiences that were not organized by PAX that I would have totally slipped by if it wasn't for getting away

Sage advice! I felt a bit guilty when I'd go back to the hotel to dump off swag at PAX South and be inclined to nap for a bit, but it's definitely a fine thing to depart from the con for a while to rest and regroup. I'm looking forward to checking out restaurants further away from WSCC and of course, plenty of after parties.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    For instance I often call Cheesecake Factory from the south lobby, place an order, wait a few minutes, walk down and pick it up, and bring it back somewhere else to eat.
    Why, in the past six years, had I never thought of doing this?

This changes everything.

Fun Prime fact: Despite my diet going to shit for almost a solid week when at Prime I still almost always manage to lose a few pounds just due to the sheer amount of walking. Needless to say, hydrate and eat well new PAXers! You're getting more exercise than you think if you're PAXing hard enough.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, I actually encourage most people to get away from PAX a little bit, even if it is your first time. It's four days, you've got a lot of time. Pick out like maybe two panels/events a day you want to go to, pick a couple of things in the expo hall you just have to check out, and try to work those in. Besides that, don't be afraid to take a lunch, sleep more, or go try something away from PAX.

A lot of people talk about PAX not being like it was, each year calling it the worst PAX ever... They don't realize so much of what PAX is isn't any single item. So try to take it all in, but don't get yourself too wound up with overblown expectations that you ruin the experience for yourself. Your best moments might be while having a beer with friends and accidentally meeting the entire Gearbox staff at the bar, or not realizing you're in an elevator with Wil Wheaton. It might be the people you chat with in line and end up adding each other on Steam so you can play the game you're checking out together long after the convention.

You're going to live in the land of PAX Arcadia for four days. Enjoy it while it lasts, and welcome home.

Alazull on