As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Thought of the GL as more for eliminating priority targets, myself.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But whenever I get my mitts on one, I start channeling the spirit of Junkrat from Overwatch and will only switch over to my bullet hose if I'm already standing on a pile of bodies and I'm getting rushed.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The earliest I've ever seen Wardens has been Round 3. Round 1 is almost always stuff like kill 60 crawlers or 3 fancy Elites, really light stuff that's basically impossible to fail. Round 2 sometimes has vehicles and when those vehicles are Banshees then it's next to impossible to win at that point since those things fly around like drunks and it's almost impossible to keep a bead on them from the ground with a non-power weapon.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Any tactical reason you use the AR instead of say, the DMR? Or is it just a matter of taste?

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Any tactical reason you use the AR instead of say, the DMR? Or is it just a matter of taste?

My tactical reason is that my ability to aim using a gamepad makes Shockwave look like the world's greatest marksman (in case the reference is too obscure, behold Shockwave's Burden!). This is also tied to my love of things that explode (FRG, the grenade launcher, etc...). I tend to swap out the AR for the FRG when grunts start packing those glorious weapons. If enemies close range to include me inside the lethal blast radius, punching is my solution.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    The earliest I've ever seen Wardens has been Round 3. Round 1 is almost always stuff like kill 60 crawlers or 3 fancy Elites, really light stuff that's basically impossible to fail. Round 2 sometimes has vehicles and when those vehicles are Banshees then it's next to impossible to win at that point since those things fly around like drunks and it's almost impossible to keep a bead on them from the ground with a non-power weapon.

Same as my experience. The three Wardens are very manageable at wave 3 (makes since, well, it's the third wave).

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Warzone FF definitely has things that need tweaking imo but it's a good mode, different and separate from old firefight, but meant to fill a different role, so I'm ok with it

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

Same as my experience. The three Wardens are very manageable at wave 3 (makes since, well, it's the third wave).

What matchmaking filter are you using? I have no idea if that has any bearing on what the waves are like, but I've exclusively run with "Balanced" and it's been a fucking nightmare since the very first time I launched WZ Firefight. Wardens may be fine at wave 3...but I've always seen them in Wave 2 or 1 (which means I very, very rarely get to even see Wave 3). As for the "really light stuff that's basically impossible to fail"...well...sucks to be me, then...since I've been in a couple matches that failed at Wave 1 because of the above mentioned "Kill these 2 Wardens".

• Options
    I'm running balanced and I have never, ever seen a warden before round 3

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »

Yup...would be nice playing the same game you guys are. As it stands, first impressions are completely in the gutter and I'm not likely to go back and waste my (or my team's) time with the mode.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Yup...would be nice playing the same game you guys are. As it stands, first impressions are completely in the gutter and I'm not likely to go back and waste my (or my team's) time with the mode.

I'll try and find the Reddit post I read early last week but iirc warden bosses aren't even in the potential hopper until 3 as 3 is meant to be the first difficulty hill

Best of luck! Sad that you won't play anymore based on this weird, very singularly reported matchmaking experience, but do what you've gotta do!

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Personally, I'm not big on all the "kill bullet sponge boss" objectives in Warzone Firefight. I'd prefer just having a bunch of regular enemies to fight.

• Options
    edited July 2016

As T4CT said, balanced, because I never bothered changing it. If anything, running into wardens earlier in the game is a good omen because they're more likely to be alone, and ridiculously more vulnerable. I'd much prefer that to fighting them later.

On the subject of wardens, and rounds. So, I don't care for microtransactions. Because I'm not insane I dislike map packs dividing up the player base even more, but I still don't like microtransactions. I'm also a cheapskate and have never bought anything in Halo 5 accordingly.

So after today's spirited discussion I figured I'd walk the walk and play a couple rounds of Firefight. Except for my daily reward, I didn't have any reward packs waiting for me. So after two rounds (possibly one, as I didn't check between rounds), I checked to see what was in my inventory.

7gz0m0qnxkdj.jpg

So, yeah.

That's a lot of free shit. According to Microsoft, it's technically $12.44 worth of free shit (though that's just one metric--seeing how I refuse to buy stuff, it's hard to evaluate the accuracy of that price). A reminder: I am not a particularly good player, and in fact probably more like a terrible one (though I did come in second in one of the two matches, and I made a point of getting legendary and mythic kills where possible).

So I don't like micro-transactions, but this is okay in my book. And I'd be lying if it wasn't nice encouragement to be a little more adventurous with requisitions either.

Synthesis on
  • Options

As T4CT said, balanced, because I never bothered changing it. If anything, running into wardens earlier in the game is a good omen because they're more likely to be alone, and ridiculously more vulnerable. I'd much prefer that to fighting them later.

Never seen them by themselves. It's always been at least two along with a whole host of infinitely respawning Promethean little dudes running around in addition to the Wardens. So yeah, definitely not alone, and definitely not exactly "vulnerable."

• Options

Never seen them by themselves. It's always been at least two along with a whole host of infinitely respawning Promethean little dudes running around in addition to the Wardens. So yeah, definitely not alone, and definitely not exactly "vulnerable."

"More likely" in the sense that they'll have a smaller entourage and it's a much, much easier encounter than fighting them in the final round. I'd have to study how much likely a round 3 appearance is to be outdoors rather than indoors compared to 5.

• Options

"More likely" in the sense that they'll have a smaller entourage and it's a much, much easier encounter than fighting them in the final round. I'd have to study how much likely a round 3 appearance is to be outdoors rather than indoors compared to 5.

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, it really sounds like I'm playing a completely different set of rules from everybody else. Like I said earlier, failing on Wave 1 is not unusual in what I've played so far, failing Wave 2 is common, and I've only seen Wave 3 twice (the first time was when I joined mid-match on Wave 3).

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Finished the game, made as much sense as 4 which as I half recall didn't make any sense. Oh well, thanks for the free single player Microsoft.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Hilarity is final round boss waves of Wardens inside the bases with everyone rolling tanks and wraiths on top of each other, failing to kill them because nobody can really line up a good shot. <3

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

Hilarity is final round boss waves of Wardens inside the bases with everyone rolling tanks and wraiths on top of each other, failing to kill them because nobody can really line up a good shot. <3

Yeah, it's part of the learning experience--in actuality, you can get those into clear view of all three locations, it just isn't as easy as getting a ghost in there. :D

• Options
    PLASMA CASTER BABY

LEARNED THAT TIP LAST NIGHT FROM A RANDO SHOUTOUT TO MY BOY TUGGER

YOU GET BEHIND THAT BOO AND YOU PLASMA CAST HIM AND THE WARDEN'S ALL NOPE NOPE NOPE

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Yeah, it's part of the learning experience--in actuality, you can get those into clear view of all three locations, it just isn't as easy as getting a ghost in there. :D

The round I played some guy had a tank and just sat outside pegging away at the whatever while I was inside using a pile of discarded plasma grenade launchers on it.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    PLASMA CASTER BABY

LEARNED THAT TIP LAST NIGHT FROM A RANDO SHOUTOUT TO MY BOY TUGGER

YOU GET BEHIND THAT BOO AND YOU PLASMA CAST HIM AND THE WARDEN'S ALL NOPE NOPE NOPE

Regular fire or charged blast?

I know the charged shots are fantastic for all vehicle enemies because of the homing, including the grunt mech.

Does that work for the warden too?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Aye, the plasma caster is a great base clearing weapon. It's really underrated and underused in even normal warzone.

I think the Grenadier armor mod effects them too.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Aye, the plasma caster is a great base clearing weapon. It's really underrated and underused in even normal warzone.

I think the Grenadier armor mod effects them too.

Indeed. I kind of hate it, but I did get a bunch of them in cards and the req. cost is forgiving low. It's my go to for clearing out elites in small buildings and, if I'm really scrapping the bottom of the barrel, the Warden.

• Options
    Or you could just get a mongoose and chuck grenades from the back until WHY ARE YOU MOVING MY MONGOOSE WTF NOW WE ARE DEAD.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I had some random dude INSIST to drive my rocket hog this weekend for me.

By which I mean he shot at me as I drove past him, and when I had set myself up in a spot to shoot the boss ffrom a distance he hopped in the driver's seat and drove us directly into the Warden's sword.

I was very salty after that.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Aye, shooting at a player that's on foot from the back of a 'hog is kind of the universal signal for "driver." But if it's in a spot and the gunner is shooting and engaging a target at a distance... you're not really helping him by moving the vehicle!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Or you could just get a mongoose and chuck grenades from the back until WHY ARE YOU MOVING MY MONGOOSE WTF NOW WE ARE DEAD.

You would think the Gungoose would do a lot more damage, but for some reason the difference doesn't seem that big with the 'goose's rate of fire. Though I'm only comparing the white ghost to the improved 'goose, I don't have a lot of experience with the Oni 'goose.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    For anyone that's kept on with the Halo EU.

Is there any book that contains a halfway decent summary of Halo 3? I ask because I vowed not to play a single Halo game outside of PC, and that vow has stuck.

I really like Halo, the original Halo with humans vs. the Covenant and Flood at any rate. I've seen an LP of Halo 3, and I have the books even up till Contact Harvest. I just want the complete first story on my shelf without shelling out for a game that was greedily decided would never see the light of day except on Xbox.

Past Halo 4... meh, s'alright I guess.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    ... huh.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    They have fundamentally gotten away from the kind of storytelling Bungie did with Halo 1-3, ODST and Reach. They rebalanced Reach for the worse in mine and many others opinion. Personally played about 4 months of Halo 4 which was a far cry from the thousands of hours is sunk into Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Reach. The Halo games are the some of the few ones I bother to get all the achievements in.

Destiny has completely stolen my attention from Halo multiplayer. Halo 5 isn't bad but it... isn't very good either. I can have fun with it, but it doesn't feel like a real sequel to the Halo games I love. Not begrudging those who do enjoy the 343 games, but they make a lot of head scratching design choices. That, coupled with the REQ pack system and how little I care for Warzone... H5 was one huge disappointment for me. And I didn't even buy it, I got it as a gift!

Not trying to bring the thread down or start a flame war over which era is best or try to convince anyone to think the same as me. I just wanted more. Halo 2 Anniversary should have taken up a lot more of my time than it did, somehow they took a game I already loved and somehow messed it up. I say this as someone who owns the Special/Legendary of most of the games, owns action figures and read the books... I am the target market for their games. They just aren't appealing to me much these days.

The best analogy I can come up with is when a band breaks up and then later they reunite...but with every member replaced but the singer. It may sound similar but it just isn't the same anymore.

Yeah I've been playing the campaign during this free period (up to mission 10, probably not going to finish in time) and it's just not doing it for me. Similar to how you describe it, for me it's the thing I fear would happen when I hear people say "this developer's not using a beloved IP (usually Valve and Half-Life), why not give it to another developer to make something with!" and.. yeah that might work, or you might get something with all the surface appearance of the game, but just feels different underneath in a way that might not hold the same appeal. It's hard to put my finger on and I'll be damned before I tell anyone else they can't enjoy it or are wrong for doing so, but it's missing something for me and feels like I'm playing a tribute act, not the real thing.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I burned through the campaign during the free period, and it was pretty good. Still not buying it, though.

The decision to cut all split screen gameplay still feels like a slap in the face. I bought two extra controllers at launch specifically because I was expecting Halo to continue being my party game of choice. Had a couple of MCC lan parties and then found out Halo 5 would have no split screen. I know one sale doesn't mean jack in the grand scheme of things (per my understanding, it set a new halo sales record at launch in fact) but I'm sticking to it.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    mRahmani wrote: »
    I burned through the campaign during the free period, and it was pretty good. Still not buying it, though.

The decision to cut all split screen gameplay still feels like a slap in the face. I bought two extra controllers at launch specifically because I was expecting Halo to continue being my party game of choice. Had a couple of MCC lan parties and then found out Halo 5 would have no split screen. I know one sale doesn't mean jack in the grand scheme of things (per my understanding, it set a new halo sales record at launch in fact) but I'm sticking to it.

It's sad, and it's even sadder that we're seeing it in fewer and fewer FPS as a whole.

There's absolutely no doubt that the game would've gotten its visuals taken apart and dissected by asshole experts on the internet if they had included it, along with the necessary graphical compromise to keep two-person local co-op at 60 FPS in the singleplayer. Does that make it the right decision? No, not necessarily, but we know it would've happened, that sort of thing is rampant. Maybe they should unbolt it from 30 FPS, or maybe make more visual concessions (it'd still be far and away the best looking game in the series visually).

It's a bummer, but I know exactly why they did it.

Of course, in a few years it'll matter less, since virtually no FPS will have that function at all.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I wonder did they ever fix Warzone so that getting the final hit on the last big elite enemy wasn't all that really matters?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I wonder did they ever fix Warzone so that getting the final hit on the last big elite enemy wasn't all that really matters?

Hard to say, since it can be a little vague. If your entire team is pouring into a legendary enemy (much less a mythic one), it's almost guaranteed all of you will get both the medal and the point credit, even if the killing blow comes from someone with a spartan laser, and everyone else was using assault rifles (including those who came in only for the last few seconds).

On the other hand, five of you are taking down a legendary hunter, and it takes 60 seconds of fire--and you're there for forty seconds, only to die in the last twenty seconds--even if you did a substantial portion of the damage, there's a decent chance you won't get credit. Which I'm not entirely pleased with, frankly, since I've been in that situation more times than I care to.

It's literally impossible for only one person to get credit for a mythic or legendary takedown, outside of the entire team holding their fire while the last person blasts away with a scorpion tank. But you can potentially miss the window of opportunity.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I loved the campaign for Halo 5 a lot. It's a slow burner but I absolutely adore the intermission levels. They're there to shamelessly pad out the content but they give the campaign a really, really steady and enjoyable pace that I don't often experience in shooters. The best part is that they're an excellent vehicle for making the world feel more alive and inserts decent lore dumps for those who are looking for it in the game, otherwise they can beeline straight for the next objective. I think the enemy AI design doesn't have that same granularity that Bungie put into their enemies, but overall I think the narrative structure, storytelling and gunplay is a real return to form for the series. I feel like there's a much higher level of enthusiasm in Halo 5's storytelling than there was in 4, and if they can carry that towards the end of the trilogy I think they could make a real winner.

If they keep the pace of Halo 5 for Halo 6 but with a higher quantity I'd be a really happy camper. The icing on the cake would be more character interactions, more content. It picks up very, very well towards the climax of the story in 5 but it could do with a few more peaks in the tone. I hit the cliffhanger ending for 5 being quite annoyed at how Assassins Creed-like it was, but with a much greater level of excitement for the sequel than I was for 4's ending.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

It's sad, and it's even sadder that we're seeing it in fewer and fewer FPS as a whole.

There's absolutely no doubt that the game would've gotten its visuals taken apart and dissected by asshole experts on the internet if they had included it, along with the necessary graphical compromise to keep two-person local co-op at 60 FPS in the singleplayer. Does that make it the right decision? No, not necessarily, but we know it would've happened, that sort of thing is rampant. Maybe they should unbolt it from 30 FPS, or maybe make more visual concessions (it'd still be far and away the best looking game in the series visually).

It's a bummer, but I know exactly why they did it.

Of course, in a few years it'll matter less, since virtually no FPS will have that function at all.

You're right of course, but at the same time, I also just finished playing through Uncharted 4 at 30 fps and that's the best damn looking game I've ever seen. I would be more than happy to trade a little graphical fidelity to get split screen back, but maybe I'm alone there.

• Options
    I loved the campaign for Halo 5 a lot. It's a slow burner but I absolutely adore the intermission levels. They're there to shamelessly pad out the content but they give the campaign a really, really steady and enjoyable pace that I don't often experience in shooters. The best part is that they're an excellent vehicle for making the world feel more alive and inserts decent lore dumps for those who are looking for it in the game, otherwise they can beeline straight for the next objective. I think the enemy AI design doesn't have that same granularity that Bungie put into their enemies, but overall I think the narrative structure, storytelling and gunplay is a real return to form for the series. I feel like there's a much higher level of enthusiasm in Halo 5's storytelling than there was in 4, and if they can carry that towards the end of the trilogy I think they could make a real winner.

If they keep the pace of Halo 5 for Halo 6 but with a higher quantity I'd be a really happy camper. The icing on the cake would be more character interactions, more content. It picks up very, very well towards the climax of the story in 5 but it could do with a few more peaks in the tone. I hit the cliffhanger ending for 5 being quite annoyed at how Assassins Creed-like it was, but with a much greater level of excitement for the sequel than I was for 4's ending.

I give 343i a lot of credit for being willing to take some risk with existing characters (not enough, quite frankly, especially given the pre-game advertising campaign but still more than the previous games in the series). Is there bad, campy writing? You bet there is, like a good 90% of the writing in the original Halo. But the end result was a product that, frankly, was so much damn fun. Even considering my least favorite level in the game (probably "The Breaking") I'm kind of amazed that even the least fun levels in Halo 5 are no where near as unfun as the worst levels in Halo 3 (which I absolutely adore) or Reach, much less the tedious abomination that is "The Library" or the crappy second half of "Truth & Reconciliation" (not to be confused with the very fun first half). There are absolutely weaknesses in the game--but so did every title in the original trilogy, and the level experience was often substantial less clean and polished overall. I'm not going to be that upset with bad writing and lame dialog (not anymore than previous titles anyway) when you give me some of the biggest levels in the game by area and no backtracking either.

"Hey, game, thanks for showing me all that cool stuff in a cinematic that I could be playing." And then the game has you run off the side of a giant fucking guardian robot the size of the Burj Khalifa, shooting dudes the whole way. I don't care what anyone says, that is a fucking cool thing.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I found the optional lore wholly incompetently presented in Halo 5. Lore computers that don't look special, ones that look identical to the ones that DO have Intel... but this one doesn't, audio logs that only play in proximity to the thing broadcasting it.

In other words, embarrassingly worse than games in the same series that came out in 2007.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The intermission levels for 5 were a cool idea. I wish they were in a story I didn't hate so much.

cB557 on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Halo 5 had some interesting story ideas, but the 343i writing staff is oh so very bad.