As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Game of the Year season in the [Giant Bomb] thread

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Also about the podcast; I usually just listen to it in a browser if I'm on my desktop, but that file is so fucking huge that one pixel on the time slider is 3.5 minutes which is hilarious so I downloaded it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the announcement that Patrick is leaving is - the only mention of it I can find is on Alex's twitter. Nothing on Patrick's Tumblr, nothing on his Twitter, and nothing on the site itself. Is it buried in one of the videos, or am I missing something?

its at the end of the day five podcast

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Patrick's writing is actually what got me interested in Giant Bomb in the first place, so this is a bummer for me. It makes sense since he's isolated from GB all the way in Chicago, and I always kind of got the vibe that he'd want to move on at some point, but it still comes as a surprise. I don't think that anyone can really replace him, but I hope the crew keep what Patrick brought to the table in mind when picking their new news person.

Twitter seems to think/aka there is a rumor that he's going to write for paste

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the announcement that Patrick is leaving is - the only mention of it I can find is on Alex's twitter. Nothing on Patrick's Tumblr, nothing on his Twitter, and nothing on the site itself. Is it buried in one of the videos, or am I missing something?

its at the end of the day five podcast

oh

huh

That seems like maybe not the best spot for an announcement of this magnitude?

Regardless, thanks for the info

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Will they pick a new person though?

Considering how long it took for them to get the greenlight to hire Dan, I wouldn't expect a replacement for Patrick anytime soon.

If they do hire somebody, I would imagine it would be for the NY studio.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    Will they pick a new person though?

Considering how long it took for them to get the greenlight to hire Dan, I wouldn't expect a replacement for Patrick anytime soon.

If they do hire somebody, I would imagine it would be for the NY studio.

Good question!

I look forward to people critiquing their choice to death and then it turning out to be a good one just like has happened the last two times

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a job opening posted in the last couple of months for a news editor? Because that makes way more sense now.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    there's already a posting for a job in new york

• Options
    i forget how fucking articulate vinny is as a writer

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Damn, sucks they're losing Patrick.

No I don't.
  • Options

It certainly does

That said, there are MYRIAD people in the industry I'd LOVE to see at GB, and getting 3 people in the NY office would be great

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm really going to miss Patrick being there. Even though being in Chicago reduced his output and appearances, even him still being involved felt good.

I'll have to keep an eye out for what he does next.

• Options
    Hey so what about all those tweets from patrick the past few weeks like this:

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Patrick is the only giant bomber who bothers to talk about shit like gamergate

If he's leaving they either need to address that kind of shit more or hire someone who serves an equivalent function

• Options

It certainly does

That said, there are MYRIAD people in the industry I'd LOVE to see at GB, and getting 3 people in the NY office would be great

3 people in the New York office means we'll finally get some "Vinney and" content where the and isn't Alex.

That would be nice.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Patrick to become the next PewDiePie

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Losing Patrick is a huge blow.

He's willing to get into a lot of games that the rest of the crew won't touch.

I'm already feeling a bit fatigued over how often games get kinda dismissed by the guys so this sucks for me.

I hope whoever the next hire is, it's someone just as willing to explore different games.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Patrick to become the next PewDiePie

I choose to interpret this as Patrick suddenly having millions of people watching him, absorbing his opinions on things, and enjoying his output so all I can say is yes please.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Considering I was just talking on stream about how Patrick was the main reason I still follow giant Bomb

Hm

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    They def. need someone who is into the indie game scene more

this is another good chance to hire a women writer in the industry since many of them have a lot of experience with smaller games

But again, I didn't exactly think I was going to like dan so... whoever they grab

• Options
    That said: they NEEDED someone goofy

they were down on that and they got dan

I think they are smart enough to know what they will need to fill patricks shoes

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I'm really, incredibly bummed Patrick is leaving.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I would love for Patrick to start up a whole new video-focused site as an offshoot of Cards Against Humanity.

That's a huge blow for GB on a multitude of levels.

signature.png

• Options
    Hey so what about all those tweets from patrick the past few weeks like this:

probably owned by temkin, he'll operate whatever he does outta there

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    They'll do fine without Patrick.

But to be honest it makes sense for Patrick to leave. He's been wasted since he left sf.

No I don't.
  • Options
    jeff hasn't had a bad hire yet, likely because giant bomb is his legacy, and he'll be very smart in protecting it

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Replace Patrick with a Nintendo fan. Rabid, unapologetic, walks in with a Zelda cozy on the 9mm she brandishes wildly while shouting "ARE YOU FUCKERS READY FOR SOME MARIO KART"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    but now he's competition

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

If he's leaving they either need to address that kind of shit more or hire someone who serves an equivalent function

if they just fully jumped into being nothing more than an entertainment video and podcast group they'd probably be fine too, not everybody needs to fill the serious business role (although it's good to, y'know, speak up about that kind of shit, if you are not personally well-equipped to address those kind of issues sometimes a brief mention of your feelings is more than enough)

they've still got this weird, barely-realized pretense of being a news site that makes it weird and uncomfortable when things like that go unmentioned for long periods of time, though

which is pretty much the same situation as every other video games site out there, tbh

• Options
    oh wow

giantbomb.com is crashing under load

• Options

I'm not too worried. A lot of that is because they trusted Patrick to do a good job talking about that sort of thing, so they let him be the one to talk about it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    man a top ten with
    Destiny and Hearthstone is a top ten that is...not aligned with my interests

Those are easily the two games I spent the most time playing this year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    I really, really hope that Giant Bomb without Patrick doesn't go back to what Jeff seems to do whenever big community shit is happening.

Because Jeff's response seems to always be to bury his head and the sand and pretend nothing is happening.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    From an actual entertainment aspect, which is primarily what I go to GB for, Patrick has never been my favorite and in fact doesn't add a lot for me

However he's a tremendous person, talent, and intellect and I really hope he goes somewhere that will allow him to use that a bit more and do what he does best

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Balefuego wrote: »
    man a top ten with
    Destiny and Hearthstone is a top ten that is...not aligned with my interests

Those are easily the two games I spent the most time playing this year.

I'm not saying they're wrong to put them there, I'm saying that I played like 8 games this year, and those are two of those games I played, and I wouldn't put them in my top 10

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    1nzvofrg42td.png

At the risk of thinking about this too much, I found this picture of the new CAH building on Temkin's Tumblr, and there's portions of the picture where you can see brick walls and ventilation ducts that look pretty much exactly like the pictures Patrick tweeted. I'd be very excited for a new indie site headed by Kleppy.

signature.png

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

Alex does too, but otherwise yes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.