As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The return of the policing thread (All police news, all the time)

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Ya something akin to the injection sites they have in Vancouver, somewhat broadened, and even with some regulation to allow those who want it to get it, because like others have said, if people want drugs they will get drugs, them being illegal and the war on drugs, has made them easier to obtain for all ages and personalities. Prison is one of the biggest drug markets there is, obviously it would take some work, and probably some trial and error.

But what we have is CLEARLY not working, at all, whatsoever. And while not ideal, Legalization/regulation does work towards undoing a lot of the major problems, which is basically the underground profit market for them, and their complete willingness to sell to anyone of any age.

That's a lot clearer, thanks. I went off on you because I thought you were calling for a full-on libertarian "sell meth at the grocery store" kinda deal, and it's good to see that that wasn't your plan at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I agree that it's not working, but I'd rather see increased border security (focused on drug smuggling) with stiff prison sentences for offenders*. Stiff prison sentences for those caught smuggling drugs into prisons, too.

*this is an -iffy- solution. Increased border security is well and good, but it's hard to damage drug kingpins when all they send across the border are mules. We've tried partnering with foreign governments with mixed results thanks to corruption. Maybe we should try cracking down on the banks next: 10+ years in prison for executives caught laundering money?

lol. A day's profits in fines and a stern talking to.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I dunno, thinking about it...I'm not sure 'selling meth at the grocery store' wouldn't be an improvement over the status quo.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    CNN was on in the break room just now.

Stroy was about someone that was shot when he was confronted four police officers, and he pulled a military knife (emphasis theirs) on them.

I missed the name of the people involved. Any idea which incident this is referring too?

Probably this.
    A man who waved a large military knife at officers and is believed to have been radicalized by ISIS was shot and killed by police in Boston on Tuesday, according to officials.

The suspect, identified as Usaama Rahim, 26, was under 24-hour surveillance by anti-terrorism authorities, said FBI Special Agent in Charge Vincent B. Lisi.

That looks like it, thanks.

And it has a picture of the knife, which is what I wanted.

Article says there's a video of the event, but it's not released?

The video has been shown to the city's Muslim leaders, and purportedly shows the man lunging at the police officer and FBI agent while they were approaching and talking to him. They shot him while they were backing away and he was continuing to advance. Also, after the LEO's told the man to drop his weapon, he apparently responded "No, you drop your weapons".

On the surface, this looks like pretty good policing.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah, pulling a fucking Rambo knife out and waving it at people is a good way to get shot.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Here, in Portland, police attended the funeral of an officer who committed suicide. Dane Reister made the mistake of loading standard rounds into a designated beanbag shotgun. He critically wounded a man and was later indicted on criminal charges, then fired from the police department. Tragic all around but proof at least not every police department blindly defends officer mistakes over public safety.

• Options
    Georgia man found dead in jail restraining chair ruled homicide
    A 22-year-old college student found dead in restraints at a Georgia county jail died from several blunt-force injuries to his head and upper body, the coroner who ruled the death a homicide said Thursday.

Investigators for months have refused to say how Matthew Ajibade died, citing an open criminal inquiry. His body was found on New Year’s Day strapped in a restraining chair inside an isolation cell at the Chatham County jail.

Chatham County Sheriff Al St Lawrence last month fired nine deputies in connection with the death, and District Attorney Meg Heap has said she plans to seek an indictment from a grand jury.

Attorneys for Ajibade’s parents in Hyattsville, Maryland, said they learned Thursday that his death had been ruled a homicide caused by blunt-force trauma from information on the death certificate. The attorneys shared a copy with The Associated Press.

Ajibade’s death certificate is dated May 8. Neither his parents nor their attorneys knew the document had been filed, or what it said about Ajibade’s death, until a photograph of it showed up on social media, said Florida attorney Mark O’Mara, who represents the family.

O’Mara said he didn’t know how the death certificate got online and authorities never told the family it had been filed. Under Georgia law, copies of death certificates can be obtained by relatives and their attorneys, but not by the general public.

“It’s really disgusting to me,” O’Mara said. “They owe anybody the common decency of letting them know first how their son died.”

A student at the Savannah College of Art and Design, Ajibade was arrested on domestic violence charges January 1 after a fight with his girlfriend. Sheriff’s officials have previously said Ajibade became violent and injured three deputies as he was being booked at the jail. One deputy suffered a concussion and a broken nose, according to the sheriff’s office. Ajibade was place in isolation in a restraining chair, where he was later found dead.

Attorneys for Ajibade’s family say he suffered from bipolar disorder and his girlfriend gave police a bottle of his prescription medication when they arrested him.

O’Mara said he suspects Ajibade was having a manic episode at the jail.

“I’m sure he was flailing,” O’Mara said. “They got control of him and beat the (expletive) out of him to get control of him.”

I don't personally give a shit who's what got broken. Once you have them secuired in a restraining chair, you lose all rights you debatably have to use any amount of force on someone.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    They should turn on each other fast after being fired and with official charges looming.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nine officers tied a guy down and then beat him to death when he had no means of defending himself?

Real fucking heroes, that lot.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Nine officers tied a guy down and then beat him to death when he had no means of defending himself?

Its not definitive that all nine struck the guy, but they were all at least involved actively or passively in some fashion. Enough to warrant they be shitcanned.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I think some police officers get confused by the public ' s love of fictional characters who break the rules to get the job done and catch the bad guy.

The audience, obviously, got to see scenes of said bad guy committing atrocities. In real life those actions by the police are the problem.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

Its not definitive that all nine struck the guy, but they were all at least involved actively or passively in some fashion. Enough to warrant they be shitcanned.
    Unless I'm missing something, it's also not definite that he received the fatal wounds while restrained. Head injuries can result in death a fair time after they're inflicted.

Which isn't to say that there weren't a whole hell of a lot of fuckups that lead to a man dying in custody. It's just important not to make a bunch of assumptions that distract us from figuring out precisely what level of fucked each of those deputies deserves to be.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Unless I'm missing something, it's also not definite that he received the fatal wounds while restrained. Head injuries can result in death a fair time after they're inflicted.

Which isn't to say that there weren't a whole hell of a lot of fuckups that lead to a man dying in custody. It's just important not to make a bunch of assumptions that distract us from figuring out precisely what level of fucked each of those deputies deserves to be.

Didn't the report say he died as a result of blunt force trauma wounds? And that received those wounds while restrained? So even if he was removed from the chair before he died, the wounds were sustained while he was restrained, so my point stands.

• Options

Didn't the report say he died as a result of blunt force trauma wounds? And that received those wounds while restrained? So even if he was removed from the chair before he died, the wounds were sustained while he was restrained, so my point stands.
    What I read said that he died of blunt force trauma, and he died while he was restrained.

It did not say that he received the blunt force trauma while he was restrained. That he was acting out due to bipolar disorder and was taken in after an alleged act of domestic violence makes it seem somewhat murky as to when or why that trauma was sustained.

Somebody fucked up big time here, and beating a man to death in custody is absolutely unforgivable. But as far as I can tell, him being beaten while restrained is just an assumption so far. If there is more information available that I haven't seen, then obviously that changes things.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It might change it from beating a restrained man to death to beating a man, restraining him, and then not getting a doctor...

I think those both count as second degree.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    If it were truly the case that the force was applied well before he was restrained, that would have been offered up as a reason/excuse quite a long time ago.

• Options

What I read said that he died of blunt force trauma, and he died while he was restrained.

It did not say that he received the blunt force trauma while he was restrained. That he was acting out due to bipolar disorder and was taken in after an alleged act of domestic violence makes it seem somewhat murky as to when or why that trauma was sustained.

Somebody fucked up big time here, and beating a man to death in custody is absolutely unforgivable. But as far as I can tell, him being beaten while restrained is just an assumption so far. If there is more information available that I haven't seen, then obviously that changes things.

Okay, if that's the case, yes.

So nine police officers beat a man to death, and then restrained him.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    If it were truly the case that the force was applied well before he was restrained, that would have been offered up as a reason/excuse quite a long time ago.

Nah, first they'd have to cycle through the standard list of excuses:
    • Actually, he beat himself to death
    • He was going for our guns
    • Jack Bauer needed to know where the bomb was/who he was working for
    • Didn't you hear, he once shoplifted a comic book when he was ten

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    You're probably right. I'm mostly just pointing out that we're making assumptions that are not directly borne out by the information we have. It could totally turn out that he was restrained and then beaten to death. We just don't know that he was with this wording.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    To me, this is a situation the police shouldn't have been involved to the degree they were. The guy shouldn't have been brought to jail; he needed to go to a well run psychiatric hospital. I wonder how well these 9 officers were trained in dealing with people going through a severe mental health crisis like this guy, and my gut says none at all. I wouldn't even be surprised to learn they were actually following their training.

Also, to be clear because this thread is awful with twisting of words, I am not saying this excuses what happened and anyone who tries to say I am is a goose.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    It's about time this is happening, senator introduces accountability bill .

This bill would create a law "requiring states to report to the Justice Department on any incident in which a law enforcement officer is involved in a shooting, and any other instance where use of force by or against a law enforcement officer or civilian results in serious bodily injury or death."

I really hope this passes. Maybe if this country saw just how many of these occur (and the Justice Department also had hard numbers) something would get done about it. I find it insane that over 400 have happened just this year alone... I bet we are going to hear about how much paperwork this will create too.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    What are the penalties for not reporting though?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    What are the penalties for not reporting though?

Yeah, doesn't this already exist and is just currently ignored/unenforced for many police forces?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Love the way it was said that they got control of him, then beat the shit out of him, to get control of him.

Like how do you say that without giving yourself a migraine.

• Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Guy claims Texas Officers violated his rights during stop when he refused to identify himself

https://youtu.be/JoBgkAmJUn0

In the video description, he cites Brown V Texas where he believed he did not have to identify himself during police encounter and then went off on a different tangent about speeding isn't against the law. Guess he didn't bother to read all of Brown V Texas where it was a guy contacted in a high crime area and no other reason. This guy is driving a car, speeding, improper lane change and driving on expired tags. All of which are civil traffic offenses, until he refuses to provide his identification card, which is required by law on a traffic stop and a misdemeanor in most states. Not so much the Officer that escalated this situation than this idiot who was armed with his Facebook law degree and decided to argue with the officer

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what you're expecting us to respond to here. The cop did his job and nobody died or got injured in custody? Nothing bad happened (so far as we see or hear in the video)? What? What are you angling at?

• Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're expecting us to respond to here. The cop did his job and nobody died or got injured in custody? Nothing bad happened (so far as we see or hear in the video)? What? What are you angling at?

He's posting police news in the police thread. How is that confusing?

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Apparently a Texas police department (McKinney) got a report there were a lot of black children at a pool party, meaning a bunch of weeping kids had to be wrestled to the ground. Luckily there were private citizens with video recorders to keep people safe.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bpWP8aMcOo8

Absalon on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "A lot of black children at a pool party"? WTF?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    "A lot of black children at a pool party"? WTF?

It's a well known fact that black people can't swim. The police were saving lives that day.

USAUSAUSA

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Absalon wrote: »
    Apparently a Texas police department (McKinney) got a report there were a lot of black children at a pool party, meaning a bunch of weeping kids had to be wrestled to the ground. Luckily there were private citizens with video recorders to keep people safe.

Uuuuuugh that's where my mom lives and teaches and is right next to the city I grew up in.

I can confirm that the cops in that area are either useless or awful.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Officer in question has been suspended.

zakkiel on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    No recording, no reckoning.

• Options
    zakkiel wrote: »

It's not what I would call "newsworthy". It is literally a video of cops doing their job in a mostly non-contraversial way. It's what decision people in the newsroom would call a "non-starter".

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

This isn't out of the ordinary.

• Options

No, but it's getting caught on camera more often, and that's just about the grimmest silver lining one could hope for.

• Options

No, but it's getting caught on camera more often, and that's just about the grimmest silver lining one could hope for.

Yeah.

I'm just worried about the people who will see these and still say "THERE'S ALWAYS A FEW BAD APPLES" and handwave it off.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Did that guy seriously just roll up to a pool party and start arresting people?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

It's not what I would call "newsworthy". It is literally a video of cops doing their job in a mostly non-contraversial way. It's what decision people in the newsroom would call a "non-starter".

Well, it did get a news article.

In a broader sense, this is (technically) the [police] thread, not the [police are corrupt] thread, so stories about police not being shitty at their jobs are OK. Sometimes you just post things to have people read them, not because you expect ten pages of discussion on the justification for using lethal force.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

The guy who put that video on youtube evidently thought it showed the cops being jerks. Pretty sure Romero's point was that the motorist is an idiot and his rights weren't violated. Your weirdly hostile response suggests that you have other issues with it besides thinking it's boring.

• Options
    No recording, no reckoning.

We'll see what actually comes of it. Not holding my breath for lasting consequences just yet.

This discussion has been closed.