As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    "Is this going somewhere?"
    "Wherever I GODDAMN LIKE!"

Fixed!

Followed by "Whoever the fuck you are stand down and let her speak."

Her restricted cursing makes it a little more punchy when she uses it, even in PG-13 form. The upside to it being excised.

It is extremely silly to have a show where you can watch someone slowly suffocate after being spaced but censor bad language. Our standards are fcked up.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Warcry wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    Bobby, kinda an exception as most Martian come in this regard, spent a lot of time in power armor on various planets and moons. Seems odd to get virtigo from sky.

Try standing on a bridge and lean out far enough that what you're standing on isn't visible. All your brain sees is empty, open space and it's that very lack of depth that triggers the response. Your brain starts to think that it's falling, and triggers adrenal responses and tries to right itself.

Here, from the Wikipedia article on Acrophobia; the fear of heights:
    "The human balance system integrates proprioceptive, vestibular and nearby visual cues to reckon position and motion.[4][5] As height increases, visual cues recede and balance becomes poorer even in normal people.[6] However, most people respond by shifting to more reliance on the proprioceptive and vestibular branches of the equilibrium system.

An acrophobic, however, continues to over-rely on visual signals whether because of inadequate vestibular function or incorrect strategy. Locomotion at a high elevation requires more than normal visual processing. The visual cortex becomes overloaded resulting in confusion."

Also something that you can very nicely try in VR!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Hey, I got vertigo hiking a fourteener in Colorado last year. I think I can understand how a Martian would puke upon feeling approximately 3 times the gravity they normally feel and a wide open sky

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Man, no other show has me chomping on the bit like this. I never normally watch sneak peaks, because SPOILERS AAGGGHHH, but I can't help myself with this.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Bobby, kinda an exception as most Martian come in this regard, spent a lot of time in power armor on various planets and moons. Seems odd to get virtigo from sky.

Try standing on a bridge and lean out far enough that what you're standing on isn't visible. All your brain sees is empty, open space and it's that very lack of depth that triggers the response. Your brain starts to think that it's falling, and triggers adrenal responses and tries to right itself.

"The human balance system integrates proprioceptive, vestibular and nearby visual cues to reckon position and motion.[4][5] As height increases, visual cues recede and balance becomes poorer even in normal people.[6] However, most people respond by shifting to more reliance on the proprioceptive and vestibular branches of the equilibrium system.

An acrophobic, however, continues to over-rely on visual signals whether because of inadequate vestibular function or incorrect strategy. Locomotion at a high elevation requires more than normal visual processing. The visual cortex becomes overloaded resulting in confusion."

and she has spent thousands of hours on the surface of things.

and seriously, she gets it in her hotel looking out a window. apparently there's no ports in domes.

and they couldn't have just turned up the lights in the shuttle slowly over the days it took them to get to earth.

and the martians are incapable of figuring out jetways, even though they would need airtight ones in every other environment they operate in.

but ok. it's not silly.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Fixed!

Her restricted cursing makes it a little more punchy when she uses it, even in PG-13 form. The upside to it being excised.

It is extremely silly to have a show where you can watch someone slowly suffocate after being spaced but censor bad language. Our standards are fcked up.

Well, my niece will randomly say fuck now just to get attention. I don't think she'd learn to space people. Which was clearly shown as a bad thing.

So while yes, the standards are whacked, that's a poor example.

• Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

and she has spent thousands of hours on the surface of things.

and seriously, she gets it in her hotel looking out a window. apparently there's no ports in domes.

and they couldn't have just turned up the lights in the shuttle slowly over the days it took them to get to earth.

and the martians are incapable of figuring out jetways, even though they would need airtight ones in every other environment they operate in.

but ok. it's not silly.

Correct, it's not silly.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Fixed!

Well, my niece will randomly say fuck now just to get attention. I don't think she'd learn to space people. Which was clearly shown as a bad thing.

So while yes, the standards are whacked, that's a poor example.

Your niece isn't hurting a soul in the world by saying fuck.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I haven't watched the episode yet, but they probably tell them not to look up because if they do, they'll see they're not under a dome. And Martians have lived their entire lives either on ships, underground or in domes. The sight of open sky is terrifying because there's no atmosphere under open sky and i'm going to suffocate and die out here and no amount of intellect is going to stop that instinctive terror.

If the show doesn't make that clear, that's the show's fault. It's not about lighting or exposure, it's about free air.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That's just people nit picking. Show, don't tell. They showed. Simple.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm working my way through the books and so far I am very pleased where the show is diverging.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Hey, I got vertigo hiking a fourteener in Colorado last year. I think I can understand how a Martian would puke upon feeling approximately 3 times the gravity they normally feel and a wide open sky

I spent some time touring a mine in Colorado a couple of years ago. We were inside for a couple of hours I think.

When we left the mine it was the middle of the afternoon, sunny and bright. That was extremely disorientating and I about face-planted when I walked out. I got a terrible migraine afterwards too.
    I can't even imagine how someone who lived their entire life in a cave/dome would react to open air / sun.

I think it was perfectly fine to show the Martian politician person having an issue. It actually would've been odd if no one in the group had issues.

Oh, and spoilers about book 2 from that promo clip:
    A bit of a change from the book with the interaction with the other parent. In the book, that parent is the one who leaves. Prax gets all mad at him for leaving the kids. But now the shoe is on the other foot.
    It sounds like we get to see the chicken hacker guy, which should be good for a laugh I imagine. I'm not sure what he's going to give them that Holden and Naomi didn't already find though.

I'm guessing they'll get a vid of Strickland going into the "unused" tunnels.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    That's just people nit picking. Show, don't tell. They showed. Simple.

I'm watching the episode now, and now I see what all the fuss was about. I rather enjoyed the book's way of showing this better, but the show's wasn't bad, I guess.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So more nitpicking. After the Ganymede
    mirrors were asploded how did they "fall" onto the domes? If they're in geosync orbit they should mostly stay put after being destroyed. Was this something that happened differently or made more sense in the books? I could understand if they cut things down for time simplified to make it easier to follow for audiences.

Seal on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Seal wrote: »
    mirrors were asploded how did they "fall" onto the domes? If they're in geosync orbit they should mostly stay put after being destroyed. Was this something that happened differently or made more sense in the books? I could understand if they cut things down for time simplified to make it easier to follow for audiences.
    Explosions make things not be in geosynchronous anymore. The exploding mirrors flung parts of themselves in all directions. Many of those directions were towards the planet and then gravity takes over.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Explosions make things not be in geosynchronous anymore. The exploding mirrors flung parts of themselves in all directions. Many of those directions were towards the planet and then gravity takes over.
    I guess that makes sense since Ganymede is on the small side with a longish day so a geosync orbit would be fairly low and slow. Just wish they phrased it more as "the domes were hit by debris resulting from the battle" rather than "the mirrors fell".

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I guess that makes sense since Ganymede is on the small side with a longish day so a geosync orbit would be fairly low and slow. Just wish they phrased it more as "the domes were hit by debris resulting from the battle" rather than "the mirrors fell".
    Sure, it may not be as scientifically accurate, but "The Mirrors Fell" is a hell of a lot punchier for a headline.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Gravity isn't that hard, guys! Kerbal Space Program has taught me that if you want to deorbit, you need to burn retrograde, i.e. in the direction opposite the one you're moving in. That means adding acceleration in the opposite direction. A common misconception is that you need to accelerate towards the surface you want to get to - that works if you apply enough acceleration, but that's just not very efficient! Way easier to just stop your sideways velocity. Anyway, an explosion accelerates everything in all directions anyways, so who cares about that bit - some parts of it will be accelerated in the retrograde direction.

If the solar mirrors were in Ganymede-stationary orbit, they'd be, in scientific terms, pretty far out - and considering how visible they were from the surface, hella huge. More size means more potential debris, but that's not as important as the distance. In geostationary orbit around Earth, the orbital velocity is over 3 km/s. That means, if this were on Earth, an explosion would have to add over 3km/s (=11052km/h) retrograde velocity in order for it to fall on the location it is orbiting over. (And that's ignoring planetary spin, which is around 265 km/h, so only 2.4% of the orbital velocity)

And Ganymede has about 0.4 times the Earth's radius, 0.025 times the Earth's mass, and a surface gravity of 0.146g.

Online orbit formula calculators tell me that a Ganymede-stationary orbit has a radius of about 45750 km - it's very unlikely you'd be able to see a mirror from that distance unless it was, as previously noted, hella huge. Conversely, the orbital velocity at Ganymede-stationary orbit is around 0.465 km/s, or around 1674 km/h. That makes it very unlikely that the explosions we've seen in the show actually occurred in stationary orbit around Ganymede in three different ways:

1. They'd be too far away to see with the naked eye, unless they have a diameter of hundreds of kilometers
    2. The damage we've seen did not look like they accelerated any debris by 1674km/h (in fact, they seemed rather serene)
    3. Even accelerated by 1674km/h retrograde, the debris would then take over 2h to be accelerated enough by Ganymede's gravity to reach the surface, and we saw impacts much earlier than that if I'm not mistaken.

There's another alternative: since Ganymede only has a trace atmosphere, the mirrors might be orbiting way lower than stationary orbit, and could be maintaining their position using thrusters. A lower orbit however negates the purpose of these mirrors, which is to still be in sunlight while the station is on the shadowed side of Ganymede. The lower the orbit, the lesser this effect.

Perhaps the mirrors aren't in a stationary orbit, but there is a ring of mirrors, each of which has been spun in such a way as to sync up with their positions relative to the station on the surface, so that of their collective reflected sunlight, some is always focused on the station, while they pass in and out of Ganymede's penumbra.

So honestly, I'd just handwave it and apply the rule of cool here.

Napkin math!

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Yea I had it backwards when I figured the slow rotation meant a lower orbit. But its momentum is still low enough that potentially you'd get debris hitting the surface, with an orbit speed of around 500 m/s it's well within speeds achievable by explosions.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I really like the music in this show, and it's really, really rare for me to notice a show's music at all.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Finally Bobbie has a moment to stretch her legs.

Also Crafty Ashur
    "I'd forgotten what it was like to work for the good guys. It feels good!"

• Options
    Just finished Cibola Burn.

It wasn't nearly as much of a slog, IMO, than was mentioned. The back half of it anyway when shit goes down.

Maybe I missed something but I still don't get the title though. :)

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Just finished Cibola Burn.

It wasn't nearly as much of a slog, IMO, than was mentioned. The back half of it anyway when shit goes down.

Maybe I missed something but I still don't get the title though. :)

Regarding the title, book spoilers obv:
    Cibola is a reference to one of mythical "cities of gold" that the Spanish explorers (aka Coronado) said was in the new world. So, (I think) the allusion was that Illus was the mythical city that would bring riches (to RCE company) or just happiness (to the colonists), and turned out to be false for both. The "burn" just reference the hurry (or maybe more literally the burning of rocket fuel) to get there.

And in relation to last night's episode and the books (through Cibola Burn):
    It was kinda weird that they made Prax the "guilty one" for leaving, and Basia the "devoted one" for staying, but I guess they planned to do it that way since (unlike the books, though unwillingly) Prax left the planet before finding clues to what happened to Mei. I'm not sure if/how that'd change any of the dynamic when they get to Illus, but I Prax doesn't go there anyway, so it probably won't have any long term implications.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Basic looks likes it can't sustain an Earthling. The amount of money given out to the unemployed doesn't meet their needs by a long shot.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

It's probably not just vertigo. When you land in Neo New York 2250 or whatever I imagine there's also a giant dose of sensory overload, like walking from your quiet car into a casino.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v0_fID_jvA

So anyone wanna build a stealth ship?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Basic looks likes it can't sustain an Earthling. The amount of money given out to the unemployed doesn't meet their needs by a long shot.
    When she was wandering through the camp, there were announcements saying something like "sign up for the basic income, etc." So I assumed those people hadn't signed up, for whatever reason.

• Options
    From the books, Basic did not mean money. You very specifically needed to work a job to earn money. (says a random teenager working what essentially is a co-op job at a kiosk to Bobbie)

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Just caught up on the show last night.
    Regardless if the media it is in, Amos beating that guy with the can of chicken will always be satisfying

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I loved the slice of life on Earth this episode gave us.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    When she was wandering through the camp, there were announcements saying something like "sign up for the basic income, etc." So I assumed those people hadn't signed up, for whatever reason.

In the books it explains that there are a lot of people who are kinda undocumented. No birth certificate, no SSN, criminals, children of criminals, etc. And even those who are on Basic, it's BASIC, enough to live, barely, with no comforts like good food, clothing, or nice living conditions. Basic will keep you alive, but not much else.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

In the books it explains that there are a lot of people who are kinda undocumented. No birth certificate, no SSN, criminals, children of criminals, etc. And even those who are on Basic, it's BASIC, enough to live, barely, with no comforts like good food, clothing, or nice living conditions. Basic will keep you alive, but not much else.

This is one of those things that just seems absurd to me for the setting, and that seems to be in place more to try and crank up the tension artificially rather than comes from the logic of the situation.

If you have a global government that is capable of giving everybody on the planet a basic level of living, it would also be able to incentivize people to STOP HAVING KIDS. You don't even need to ban on having kids, just give them benefits for having only one kid and then going on lifetime birth control. If the government can support 30 billion people at a basic level, it could support 10 billion much happier people much more easily within a couple generations.

There isn't even some mustache-twirlingly coporately-evil reason to have that many people around for cheap labor or something, seeing as most people don't have jobs. And where is the massive warfare? A bunch of undereducated folks who think they aren't getting what they deserve are going to constantly be fighting until a bunch of them are gone, especially since it seems like most people lived in cramped conditions. The military would have to be so incredibly oppressive that half the planet would need to be soldiers.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Regardless if the media it is in, Amos beating that guy with the can of chicken will always be satisfying
    Showing him eating from said can a later on was a nice touch.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Showing him eating from said can a later on was a nice touch.

S2E10

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    So I watched the latest episode.

Episode thoughts, some book 2 spoilers.
    Another rather slow episode. Bobbie escapes, goes to the ocean. Errinwright gives Chrisjen files on the protomonsters. Roci crew learns Mei is in the Ganymede tunnels.

Interesting about the protomonster files, as that was not in the book. I'm guessing it might not be Errinwright who puts her on the Mao yacht to Venus. It might be the UN military guy (Agatha King guy, I forget his name).

I hope they don't skip the Mao yacht thing, as that'll be a nice way to showcase Bobbie in her armor. I'm also hoping the Ganymede attack video was in Errinwright's files. As I think Bobbie's character needs to see that video, especially for her fight at the end (that'll probably be the end of season 3?, or halfway through).

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

This is one of those things that just seems absurd to me for the setting, and that seems to be in place more to try and crank up the tension artificially rather than comes from the logic of the situation.

If you have a global government that is capable of giving everybody on the planet a basic level of living, it would also be able to incentivize people to STOP HAVING KIDS. You don't even need to ban on having kids, just give them benefits for having only one kid and then going on lifetime birth control. If the government can support 30 billion people at a basic level, it could support 10 billion much happier people much more easily within a couple generations.

There isn't even some mustache-twirlingly coporately-evil reason to have that many people around for cheap labor or something, seeing as most people don't have jobs. And where is the massive warfare? A bunch of undereducated folks who think they aren't getting what they deserve are going to constantly be fighting until a bunch of them are gone, especially since it seems like most people lived in cramped conditions. The military would have to be so incredibly oppressive that half the planet would need to be soldiers.

The thing is, they DO incentivize not having kids, and regulate the kid having. Last episode Amos touches a bit on the problem this causes, though he explains more in the books:

Having a bunch of kids is now taboo.
    Taboo things get people hot.
    Major market for pregnant prostitutes.
    Lots of unregulated, undocumented, illegal babies (which are often used as more prostitutes).

The TV medium (and the added just for TV stupid crap) cuts down on a lot of the explanations for this stuff that you get in the books.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    The show also missed (or hasn't gotten to yet):
    the sheer amount of PEOPLE on Earth vs. Mars. Bobbie, for all her training and Martian Marine gung-ho-ness come up hard against the realization that invading Earth is useless. Mars will never have the numbers for invasion. They'd just give everyone on the planet a stick, and have them beat the invading army to a pulp.

• Options
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Basic is an apartment, internet access, food, clothes, and medicine (waitlisted, or if its a rare condition lol get fucked)

the people in the area Bobbi was in looked to me like they were part of an underground grey market economy, some or all of them might have basic, but since they still want credits and can't find jobs they operate at the fringes doing anything they can to earn a credit or two

For basic think of a college dorm with a mealplan, with the shittiest selection of available cafeteria foods

complete with dorm quality internet access

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.