Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I loved the scenes of Alex flinging the Roci through space on the thrusters. Also I love his conversations with the AI of the Roci.

I really would love it if they would occasionally do a deep dive into the workings behind the Roci though. It's as much a character as the rest of the crew is.

Episode sort of spoiler...
    The "we?" question was complete gold for me. As Alex was like "yeah, I talk to the ship like she's a person...".

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I mean I can't say for certain but there were a few reactions from the ship itself that certainly shows that the Roci is more than just a piece of machinery. I laughed a little at the ship beeping Alex with a "radio silence" notification.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    How good is AI in this show? Show watcher only.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    How good is AI in this show? Show watcher only.

Earth's AI is very good, and Mars's AI is better, but they're not really like EDI from Mass Effect. They're more like the ME VIs, but with predictive qualities (and no voice acting). Like an advanced version of your phone learns what words you use a lot, and suggests "bang dicks" instead of "bring donuts" when you're texting your mom about what to buy for the party.

Leviathan Wakes (Book 1) spoiler
    Naomi comments that the Rocinante, being cutting edge Martian military tech, is uncanny smart and has lifelike quirks, but it isn't a free-willed entity or anything. It isn't on the verge of "kill all humans" mode or anything.

Abaddon's Gate spoiler
    As usual, these standards don't apply to the protomolecule, as Holden interacts with its AI construct.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    If you're asking about how technologically advanced it is, that's a hard question to answer without filling in some blanks on my own.

That said they've clearly "solved" natural language inputs and in the first season episode when they first have the Roci out on their own there's some pretty obvious autonomous behavior being displayed by the Roci as it apparently builds a profile for each of its new crew members.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This episode made me want to get back to playing modded KSP again. The attention to detail on the interface MFD's is just beautiful in the show.

I've actually crashed ships in orbit like that, inadvertently. Obviously that whole sequence was hugely shortened for the benefit of the viewer, unless RCS thrusters are vastly more powerful and efficient, much like the primary Epstein Drive System.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    This episode made me want to get back to playing modded KSP again. The attention to detail on the interface MFD's is just beautiful in the show.

I've actually crashed ships in orbit like that, inadvertently. Obviously that whole sequence was hugely shortened for the benefit of the viewer, unless RCS thrusters are vastly more powerful and efficient, much like the primary Epstein Drive System.

Naren Shankar, the executive producer, posted to Daniel Abraham's blog about this (contains spoilers for S02E09 and S02E10). Basically, they screwed up, but by the time they realized it S02E09 was already in post production, and they just had to deal with it in S02E10.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

hugely shortened as in the science people behind the show talked about the flight plan taking weeks. But, it was a neat enough idea that the went with it anyway.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Yeah they are not always right about everything on the show but they try hard enough and get as close as possible with the limits they have that I don't mind. I'm just happy that they, and the original writers, understand that physics and such can be just as dramatic and interesting as made up space particles and stuff.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I give them credit for doing the basics of it the fact they sped it up time wise I am pretty okay with.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I too thought about how long it would have actually taken to slingshot through Jupiter's 27 kajillion moons using thrusters only on an indirect course. Even granting that sling-shooting around moons would likely build a not insignificant amount of velocity after the first thousand moons or so...

But then decided it was too fucking cool to let it bother me in the slightest.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The accounting department at our studio often refers to the show as “The Expense”.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Heh, I chuckle whenever I see the credit 'Natalie Jantzi as Perky Tech'. Can I be 'Grumpy, Dour Tech Who Needs A Nap' ?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I too thought about how long it would have actually taken to slingshot through Jupiter's 27 kajillion moons using thrusters only on an indirect course. Even granting that sling-shooting around moons would likely build a not insignificant amount of velocity after the first thousand moons or so...

But then decided it was too fucking cool to let it bother me in the slightest.

I'm just trying to figure out how they would have framed the end scene if Alex's slingshot had taken as long as it should have.
    I mean, evil protomolecule researchers have proto-Grendel packed up for transport to the MCRN ship.
    Holden and Co bust in looking for kidnapped daughter.
    Firefight ensues. evil researchers escape around the corner.
    Amos chucks the grenade back in, freeing proto-Grendel to kill evil researchers and escape to Ganymede's surface to stretch it's legs for a bit of post-murder-workout cool down.

And then Holden and company hang out holding a staring contest with proto-Grendel for a month and a half waiting for Alex to show up.
    I'm pretty much okay with some liberties taken with science when they serve the story.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    To make it work they would've needed to have Alex's long wait involve the slingshot manoeuver immediately (and a shorter one) I think. It would've worked if they'd said "pick us up in a week" and then he took off and put the ship on the trajectory, and just adjusted to land where the MCRN transport turns up.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Episode 11
    The hot potato scene was my favorite scene so far in this television series.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Damn. My feels :'(

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Bobby chowing down on the cucumber sandwiches had me laughing.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    As each episode diverges more and more from the books, my husband and I are becoming less and less enthused by the show. To us it feels like we have to wade through pointless side stories that have no bearing on the plot just to get to the meat of the story. Just a bunch of speed bumps keeping us away from the good stuff.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    As each episode diverges more and more from the books, my husband and I are becoming less and less enthused by the show. To us it feels like we have to wade through pointless side stories that have no bearing on the plot just to get to the meat of the story. Just a bunch of speed bumps keeping us away from the good stuff.

Is it that divergent? The first three books were aaages ago for me, and I have a terrible memory for plot details. But the gist of it definitely feels right to me.

• Options

I'd say that it's actually adapting pretty well. The first season, I think, lost some viewers because they were so faithful to the books that they forgot that their format was serialized. It's not a binge-watch Netflix show; you need episodic plots to go along with your overall arc. It's why shows like Veronica Mars and iZombie have a mystery of the week in addition to their season-long plots.

The show makes some changes that I think are overall pretty good. Books through Babylon's Ashes
    In the books, Mars wasn't obviously in on the protomolecule game; there was just a lot of background stuff about martian factions, and it kinda comes out of left field when Duarte and his people sell half the navy to the OPA and exit stage left through the ring gate. If the show lasts that long, those events will make way more sense, because the show has been doing a better job showing that both governments have elements that are compromised.

Also, I'm liking what they're doing with Errenwright; he feels like way more of a character than he was in the books.

Yeah that was adorable.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    You get retrospectively furious about the events of this episode.
    The entire fucking MCRN and UN fleets are sitting in orbit with easily enough resources to save everyone down there and instead they're sitting at the Sonambulance.

• Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

Is it that divergent? The first three books were aaages ago for me, and I have a terrible memory for plot details. But the gist of it definitely feels right to me.

Yes, there are quite a few very different things in the show. Here's a quick list of a couple of the changes:

Book spoiler, mainly Book 2, but Babylon's Ashes as well:
    - There was a year gap between Book 1 and Book 2, with the Roci off pirate-hunting.
    - Holden gives Fred the protomolecule sample.
    - At the beginning of Book 2 everyone knows the protomolecule is terraforming Venus, it's public knowledge.
    - After Bobbie's squad is killed, they salvage the video from her suit. Everyone sees and knows about the protomonster, they just ignore it for "reasons".
    - Prax doesn't leave Ganymede as a refugee, he spends quite a bit of time looking for his daughter before running into Holden handing out supplies. He leaves with them.
    - Naomi breaks up with Holden on Tycho, after they get back from Ganymede.
    - There's a whole subplot with Bobbie discovering that Crisjen's aide is passing info to a UN Admiral. (I guess this could still happen?)
    - Crisjen doesn't even have an aide in the show.
    - Bobbie is hired by Crisjen after her testimony (no asylum like in the show).
    - Crisjen's spy guy is either not in the books, or very different.
    - There was a running battle with security forces and the Roci crew on Ganymede. The Roci crew actually recruited some security guys, who all end up dying I think.
    - The Protogen scientist was not kidnapped by Dawes in the book, not actually sure what happened to him.
    - Errinwright puts Crisjen (and Bobbie) on Mao's ship and gives them a "blank check" to investigate Venus. It's more to get her out of the way though, and she's effectively kidnapped.
    - There's no "hunt" for the protomonster on Ganymede's surface, I think it just disappears for a bit.
    - As mentioned, Mars involvement with Protogen is not specifically shown until Babylon's Ashes. A hint about a "Mars Admiral" is dropped in one of the novellas I believe.
    - the Somnombulist leaving with refugees sub-plot is not in the book. Ganymede is not in such dire straights as the show is currently indicating.
    - Bobbie doesn't attack her superior and escape and claim asylum in the book. She's just sort of left behind and ignored after testifying.

That's a list I complied from memory. Most aren't really major differences, and some help fill in blanks for things that weren't explained very well in the book.
    I think the show is doing a good job of adapting the story. All the major points are still there. How they handle the end of Book 2 and the beginning of Book 3 will be very interesting.

There is one thing I think they absolutely have to do from the end of Book 2. It's sort of too bad it won't be a season finale, it'll probably be episode 4 or 5 of Season 3 (there is going to be one, right?).
    Book 2 end spoiler, and small Book 3 spoiler:
    The "We need to talk.." line is a requirement for me. It'll be a huge disappointment if it's not there. I think I've mentioned before, I almost wrecked my car while listening that part. Complete shock.
    Followed closely by the "It reaches out, it reaches out...". I'm hoping they find a way to do that, but I'm not sure how they will. If they can do Epstein's story, they can do the "It reaches out" thing too.

• Options
    edited April 2017

The thing is I really liked book 2, and there are a lot of great plot points and character beats in it.
    However, there was no part where Prax is taken off Ganymede just to return, There is no assault on Fred on Tycho, there is no drama with the Somnambulist, there is no hunt for the creature or evacuation drama. That's all added and frankly I don't think it's very good. It's a bunch of stuff that is slowing down the story and preventing it from reaching the really good story bits in the book.

Also they are drastically changing the characters, in some cases making them behave in ways directly opposite to how they do in the books. In the books it's not Mars, it's Earth backing the experiment. The crew doesn't got to Ganymede for the protomolecule, they go there to help, and they don't find Prax hunting by protomolecule leads, Prax finds them, and they help him just to help him. Holden isn't suddenly an angry obsessed douchebag that insists on hunting the creature, he sees a hint of protomolecule and immediately wants to gtfo. Even the father that in the show accosts Prax, mad at him for leaving, is opposite. In the books he is the one leaving, and Prax gets mad at HIM for giving up that their missing children are alive, which influences the motivation of that character when he reappears in a later book.

Falling into a basic formulatic crisis-of-the-week style may be working for some people who didn't enjoy the first season, but I loved the first season, and am finding this season to be a massive disappointment so far.

So It Goes on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Falling into a basic formulatic crisis-of-the-week style may be working for some people who didn't enjoy the first season, but I loved the first season, and am finding this season to be a massive disappointment so far.

It's in a crisis of the week style? I guess I haven't seen it that way.
    They've had to change the timing of events around in a lot of ways.

The Books also had a lot of internal monologues, and those don't translate to the screen. They've had to create characters in order to get those parts across. That changed a lot about Prax's story. Prax's story was heart-wrenching for me in Book 2 (I have three small children, and I think I actually cried listening to that part). But it was all in his head, and they didn't really have the 2-3 episodes needed to tell that story.

• Options
    Selner wrote: »
    they didn't really have the 2-3 episodes needed to tell that story.

If they hadn't spent 2-3 episodes adding in new stuff, they would have.

• Options
    they didn't really have the 2-3 episodes needed to tell that story.

If they hadn't spent 2-3 episodes adding in new stuff, they would have.

The new stuff isn't bad. Adaptations have to...adapt...to their format. The books are awesome, but a lot of it doesn't translate straight to TV. You and I may know how to parse everything because of our book learnin', but everyone else needs character growth and context to get to that point.

Let the show spread its wings and enjoy it as its own thing.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    That ending ... oh shit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That ending ... oh shit.

Honestly I thought that the beginning of this episode would be what turned out to be the end.

They're setting things up for things to end with
    Book 2
    Frying the protomonster. Then the Arboghast goes down and they can still end it with "We have to talk."

• Options
    That ending ... oh shit.

Honestly I thought that the beginning of this episode would be what turned out to be the end.

Book 2
    Frying the protomonster. Then the Arboghast goes down and they can still end it with "We have to talk."

Book 2 spoiler:
    It's can't possible end with "We have to talk..", as that can only happen after the Protomolecule leaves Venus and heads toward the future Gate location. Holden and company still need to go to the next base (I think it's Io?) and rescue May first. Then have the Agatha King stuff, have the protomonsters fired at Mars, have Fred nuke them... then the Proto-ship from Venus can start moving and "We have to talk.." happens.

There's still lots of story to tell. They've been skipping around a bit, but that's too much of a skip. "We have to talk.." will be around Episode 5 of next season, just like Eros/Venus was Episode 5 of this season.

I agree, the season will end with the Arbogast going to pieces. I really want a scene of Fred with the protomolecule sample as well. He needs that bargaining chip next season, and we know show-Naomi moved it from the asteroid it was at. If they could work in a Clarissa/Julie cameo, that'd be great, but I'm not sure there's enough time. And that may better be done in conjunction with "We need to talk..".

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    A marine is a marine no matter if they are from earth or mars

• Options
    edited April 2017
    That ending ... oh shit.

Book 2

Book 2 spoiler:
    It's can't possible end with "We have to talk..", as that can only happen after the Protomolecule leaves Venus and heads toward the future Gate location. Holden and company still need to go to the next base (I think it's Io?) and rescue May first. Then have the Agatha King stuff, have the protomonsters fired at Mars, have Fred nuke them... then the Proto-ship from Venus can start moving and "We have to talk.." happens.

There's still lots of story to tell. They've been skipping around a bit, but that's too much of a skip. "We have to talk.." will be around Episode 5 of next season, just like Eros/Venus was Episode 5 of this season.

I agree, the season will end with the Arbogast going to pieces. I really want a scene of Fred with the protomolecule sample as well. He needs that bargaining chip next season, and we know show-Naomi moved it from the asteroid it was at. If they could work in a Clarissa/Julie cameo, that'd be great, but I'm not sure there's enough time. And that may better be done in conjunction with "We need to talk..".

Disagree. Books 2 to 4:
    The only technical requirement for "We have to talk" is that there be protomolecule gunk in the Roci's cargo hold. It is there now. They can have Ghost Miller be scrambled up until the other important stuff happens, but you want to milk the Thomas Jane contract for everything you can as a hook for the next season.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    This was possibly the first episode where I actually believed Holden had the same gravitas as he had in the books. It feels like this was the episode he went from "kid dressing up as captain" to "actual captain"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    bobby is a ruthless sandwich predator

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017

The thing is I really liked book 2, and there are a lot of great plot points and character beats in it.
    However, there was no part where Prax is taken off Ganymede just to return, There is no assault on Fred on Tycho, there is no drama with the Somnambulist, there is no hunt for the creature or evacuation drama. That's all added and frankly I don't think it's very good. It's a bunch of stuff that is slowing down the story and preventing it from reaching the really good story bits in the book.

Also they are drastically changing the characters, in some cases making them behave in ways directly opposite to how they do in the books. In the books it's not Mars, it's Earth backing the experiment. The crew doesn't got to Ganymede for the protomolecule, they go there to help, and they don't find Prax hunting by protomolecule leads, Prax finds them, and they help him just to help him. Holden isn't suddenly an angry obsessed douchebag that insists on hunting the creature, he sees a hint of protomolecule and immediately wants to gtfo. Even the father that in the show accosts Prax, mad at him for leaving, is opposite. In the books he is the one leaving, and Prax gets mad at HIM for giving up that their missing children are alive, which influences the motivation of that character when he reappears in a later book

You can't directly transpose a book onto a screen. It just doesn't work that way.

If we had a 20+ episode season I could see your problems when it comes to there being extraneous story beats but these seasons are tight, well told, stories. They might not be equal to the books in certain aspects but those are the aspects that don't translate well to TV for various reasons.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    - I really like that Errinwright gets a scene with his kid. He was up to no good, but he wasn't clued in on just how expansive the plot was
    - Uh it's a point well made Holden but that story is definitely not true about not seeing European ships
    - don't talk down to me plant guy <3
    - I like Chrisjen's little baby buddha. Also Bobby and assistant guy's constant dick-measuring
    - "I'll go through you like a door"
    - I love Bobby's little smirk when she notices how little Chrisjen likes taking off
    - I like the martian diplomat. And I like this focus on diplomacy, which the books really never had
    - Whoops, goodbye martian diplomat. I like Sadavir's jerk when he hears that beep, he's desperate but he's still not some cold-blooded killer who can do this stuff without a sweat
    - "Actually, I got her son killed" Ahh, well that's an interesting explanation for his personal loyalty to her. Well done, show.
    - lol Bobbie
    - y'know... That's actually a pretty good play by Errinwright. Screws over Chrisjen pretty hard, but it makes sense. I don't really get why he would know that the defense secretary dude is the key to this whole thing though, it all fits together a little oddly neat, but not bad.
    - The whole refugee scene was really good

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    @Decomposey

Reminder to put book spoilers behind a spoiler tag and label them as such.

• Options
    Shiiit next episode is season finale

sneak peak
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4HMzpxuSJU

• Options
    It's going to be really tough to wait for season 3. There's going to be a season 3, right?

This discussion has been closed.