As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Great episode! Although I can’t believe they didn’t end it with:

(Book 2 Spoilers)
    “We need to talk.”

Goddamn I’m gonna miss this show if it doesn’t get picked up.
    I think the we need to talk stuff happens once the gate opens up it is just in the phase of going out to deploy itself

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Great episode! Although I can’t believe they didn’t end it with:

(Book 2 Spoilers)
    “We need to talk.”

Goddamn I’m gonna miss this show if it doesn’t get picked up.
    I think the we need to talk stuff happens once the gate opens up it is just in the phase of going out to deploy itself

Yeah, possibly so. Sounds like it’s coming either way, and it was such a good episode I can’t complain too much.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    A great collection of Avasarala quotes. No spoilers as far as I can tell.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

e: Wait, removing the second one, that ain't official.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Well to be fair that was one of my personal highlights.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    More ass! I mean, more Expanse!

It's getting to the best parts!

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Early rankings had it at 37 for the night.

Start Dur P18-49 F12-34 P18-34 P25-54 M50+ P2+
    EXPANSE, THE SYFY 9:00 PM 60 0.19 0.08 0.17 0.27 0.30 609

Up .03 from initial estimates last week, .01 from final last week, which....well, it's an increase but yeah.

e: Final ratings from last week had it at 45th overall, so THAT's a decent jump at least.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    It's waaaaay too late for ratings to matter. And 45th of what? Only shows on Scifi matter and they don't even have 45 shows do they?

It's all going to come down to if someone buys it because they find the ratings acceptable for the price or if Scifi gets it for cheaper. This is why shows normally aren't saved, people don't want to/can't make it for less and it's not worth it for someone else to pick it up. Have to hope for a deal to be struck behind the scenes.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    45th of shows for the evening across all of TV. 1 was NBA playoffs.

• Options
    Yeah, that never matters to getting a show renewed or not. It's just PR talking points.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Some of the best parts of the episode. (TV-only spoilers)
    • Bobbie telling Avasarala to shut the hell up.
    • Bobbie kicking ass in her power armor.
    • Prax’s declaration of Amos as his best friend in the entire world (and Amos’ reaction).
    • “I am that guy.”
    • Anna’s face when she realizes that the SG is exactly the man Erinwright said he was.
    • dat ass
    • Space Venus Jellyfish.
    I saw that line being delivered from a light year away, and it was still as cool as fuck, because Amos. :D :cool:

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
  • Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Some of the best parts of the episode. (TV-only spoilers)
    • Bobbie telling Avasarala to shut the hell up.
    • Bobbie kicking ass in her power armor.
    • Prax’s declaration of Amos as his best friend in the entire world (and Amos’ reaction).
    • “I am that guy.”
    • Anna’s face when she realizes that the SG is exactly the man Erinwright said he was.
    • dat ass
    • Space Venus Jellyfish.
    I saw that line being delivered from a light year away, and it was still as cool as fuck, because Amos. :D :cool:

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The credits in that sneak peek give it away.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    This is why you never watch previews/trailers!!!

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Dunno if this was mentioned, but during the opening credits, the Nauvoo changes its name :)

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    Woo! fun episode.

Some notable divergences from the book, but somewhat expected. Pieces had to be moved, and they didn't have time to do a couple of things so events were accelerated.

Book spoilers:
    Having Naomi and Alex go to the King was a bit odd, but there wasn't really time for Holden to help find Mei and then go to the King.

A small part of me wanted a more faithful recreation of Holden on the King, but the show has very much shied away from the Zombie Horror aspects. And the way they did it here gives a nice ending for Coytar.
    It would be interesting to see his fight through the King and how he gets to the engineering area to detonate the ship like that though. Maybe they'll have a flashback at some point.

So it looks like, based on episode titles, we'll get "we need to talk" at the end of the next episode?
    It would have been fun to have that be end of season thing, but season length isn't really letting them do that.

The descriptions for the next two episodes are up on the Expanse Wiki.
    Here's the link (spoiler there obviously): http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Season_3

Spoilers based on those descriptions, with book stuff. Pretty big book stuff, so don't click if you don't want spoilers:
    It comes right out and says "old friend" in the description for episode 8. That must mean we see him in episode 7.

It also sounds like we get to see Filip? It says "young belter makes a name for himself". That must be Filip.

And we get Clarissa in episode 8, as "mysterious low-level tech". Woo! Do we know if it's the same actress? Not sure they're going to be able to play up the look-a-like angle.
    Her implants are fairly key, so I wonder how they'll do her getting them so quickly.

Mild book spoilers
    Hrmmm... I don't know how I feel about them compressing the events even further. One of the only things that stops the series from feeling like a whirlwind of a year is that there's some significant time skips both in and between the books that allows the events to have been built up.

Like the time skip between Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate is enough for Clarissa to set everything up. If she shows up right after it seems like it's too fast.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That episode was an absolute blast.

Some Caliban's War book talk
    I thoroughly enjoyed the changes to the Agatha King sequence. Book version is Holden being brave and willingly heading into another Eros, it worked fine. TV version was way more resonant though, with a desperate Alex trying to save Mars, heard his voice breaking a few times in those scenes, Cas Anvar is killing it and he continues to be my favourite character.

Also Cotyar's sacrifice speech was fantastic.

Bobbie's fight with the Proto Monster was better than I expected in terms of visuals. She didn't get to flex her analytical powers, none of the watching of the Ganymede footage over and over to find a weakness, she didn't really have a plan, but it was fun to watch anyway. They cut the scene of her sacrificing her contaminated armour to get back on board the Roci, so I wonder if TV Bobbie is holding on to it...

I'm so excited for the next episode, aaaaAAAAA!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    The credits in that sneak peek give it away.

I'm going to talk about this behind spoiler, so as to not completely give it away:
    Yeah, I just saw the preview and immediately saw the give away. I understand that have to put things in credits, but I'm sure they could've worked something out.

I'm sure the actor wouldn't have minded his appearance not being mentioned until the end credits.
    And it's possible that show-only people will assume it's a flashback or something. There's a lot of dots to connect to get to what's going to happen. It'll still surprise people.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Major spoilers from next episode's preview:
    kaoxqdqo69cm.png

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Its being made more of a big deal, in this thread anyway, by book people IMO. He could just be there for a flashback scene or something.

• Options
    Nice of the guy, but like he says it doesn't necessarily mean anything. And I doubt the prop master is being consulted on anything, so he's just fanning misinformation on how this works. There is no pressure we can exert, unfortunately. Unless you go back in time and bribe a Nielsen viewer!

But, on the other hand, maybe they are hashing out a deal and the delay is about that! Here's hoping.

• Options
    If nothing else, it's nice to get new information instead of just silence.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Just saw that last episode, Amos, godbless!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Just saw that last episode, Amos, godbless!

I realllly loved the last episode, it had just the perfect mix of character development, action and story progression.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    If nothing else, it's nice to get new information instead of just silence.

Oh yeah, the week delay is nice to hear about just keep hope alive!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    This timeline may not be a complete trashfire!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/expanse-revived-season-4-at-amazon-1113803
    Amazon Studios is in talks to revive one of CEO Jeff Bezos' favorite properties.

The retailer and streaming outlet is near a deal to revive space drama The Expanse for a fourth season just 10 days after Syfy canceled the series. Amazon Studios declined comment as sources note the deal is not closed.

Starring Steven Strait and based on James S.A. Comedy's best-selling book series of the same name, Syfy had only first-run linear rights in the U.S. to The Expanse. Amazon Studios had streaming rights to the first three seasons of the show. Sources say Bezos is a big fan of the book and was livid that the TV series went to NBCUniversal-owned Syfy. The move is said to have ignited Bezos' demand that Amazon Studios brass find the company's version of Game of Thrones.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Jeff Bezos has enough money to fund a thousand years of The Expanse and still be in the top 20 richest people alive

• Options
    In "are they out of their minds" news, someone decided to do one of those "put a gopro to the edge of space" things with a model of the rocinante.

It got funded.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/8kzgeo/the_next_step_i_just_had_an_ideathis_would_be/

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The move is said to have ignited Bezos' demand that Amazon Studios brass find the company's version of Game of Thrones.

This makes me wonder what The Expanse will look like with Amazon. Hour long episodes? Even higher production values?

• Options
    This is awesome news. I can see the effects budget getting a substantial increase now. And just in time too, considering what may be in store for Season 4.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Great news about Amazon. This show needs a couple more seasons, to end it now would be a sci fi crime :( .

I was reading this article:
    https://news.avclub.com/amazon-decides-to-revive-the-expanse-proving-that-airp-1826210325

The article is fine, but the picture raised an eyebrow for me.

Some book spoiler stuff:
    What's Naomi doing on the Behemoth? She's wearing a uniform, but it doesn't look like a Belter or Roci uniform.

Is she filling in for Bull or Sam in some capacity? Or, because she's a high-profile character is she doing all new things?
    Is she not going to be on the Roci when it goes through the Gate? She said she was leaving at the end of the last episode, so they might be bringing in her son and he ex a bit early.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Not good news if you are International (outside the US), Amazon.ca is just not good and doesn't give me any faith that the show will even be able to be purchased on Bluray after what happened with Agents of SHIELD years ago :(

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Not good news if you are International (outside the US), Amazon.ca is just not good and doesn't give me any faith that the show will even be able to be purchased on Bluray after what happened with Agents of SHIELD years ago :(

Theoretically, Netflix still owns the international streaming rights. I haven't seen any mention of that changing yet.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Netflix Canada does not have The Expanse.

In Canada it is broadcast on our Space Channel, as well as CraveTV... which is a Netflix competitor run by the Networks, IIRC?

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I am about halfway through Book 5

This
    Marco
    guy
    fuckin' sucks

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Theoretically, Netflix still owns the international streaming rights. I haven't seen any mention of that changing yet.

Netflix treat those weirdly though - as in, they have it, but the episodes come out like 6 months after the US.

Amazon are straight leaving money on the table with the "must be a US billing address" to buy the season streaming passes.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am about halfway through Book 5

This
    Marco
    guy
    fuckin' sucks

Rewatching the show with Lady Raven I was surprised to hear this name pop up in Season 2...
    he (or at least, his people) are apparently at that meeting on Tycho, discussing what to do with the stolen nukes. Naomi is in the room!

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.