Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, Brooklyn 99 was saved at the last minute.

But Scifi is determined to have crap only probably. Hopefully something with the finances is worked out somewhere.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Between Netflix, HBO, and Amazon, I'd eat Echo's hat if one of them didn't pick it up.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    It sounds like Alcon produces it on their own dime and then licenses it out separately for streaming and TV to make a profit. Which is why Scifi only had broadcast license, and there's separate streaming licenses for in the US and outside the US.
    I don't know how much Scifi's deal helped them balance the budget, but it looks like they kept going for three seasons with the majority of the views, and possibly revenue, coming from streaming. It makes me wonder if Scifi was actually necessary to the production costs or if it was just another revenue stream for the show.

Like, could the show actually just keep on going without Scifi and continuing to make their money off streaming, or is the income % from the TV license side actually important?
    Either way it sounds like they're looking for someone to pick up the broadcast license and not the streaming license because they already got that worked out.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, Brooklyn 99 was saved at the last minute.

But Scifi is determined to have crap only probably. Hopefully something with the finances is worked out somewhere.

I am still bitter about Sci-Fi never giving us more Caprica, then they keep canceling shows I like such as Dark Matter and The Expanse. If they cancel The Magicians next I will be both pissed and unsurprised.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Worst thing they did was announce Farscape was renewed for 2 seasons then backtracked when it came to the 2nd.

It's all about money when it comes right down to it, it's not like they WANT to cancel shows just like every other network. They just apparently suck at making profit from them. Or expect too much.

It's always a long shot getting a show picked up elsewhere, so cross your fingers.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    At this point I guess I have no reason to not read through all the books.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Well, if you don't want to be spoiled you may want to wait for a minor miracle possibly. For a few weeks or so.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Should still read the books; like GoT, it's starting to become different yet equally entertaining stories.

• Options
    Not if you don't want to be spoiled, though. Yet. Chances are it won't matter, but it might. At least if you get past book 2.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    It sounds like Alcon produces it on their own dime and then licenses it out separately for streaming and TV to make a profit. Which is why Scifi only had broadcast license, and there's separate streaming licenses for in the US and outside the US.
    I don't know how much Scifi's deal helped them balance the budget, but it looks like they kept going for three seasons with the majority of the views, and possibly revenue, coming from streaming. It makes me wonder if Scifi was actually necessary to the production costs or if it was just another revenue stream for the show.

Like, could the show actually just keep on going without Scifi and continuing to make their money off streaming, or is the income % from the TV license side actually important?
    Either way it sounds like they're looking for someone to pick up the broadcast license and not the streaming license because they already got that worked out.

They almost certainly relied on SciFi for early advertising. SciFi went hard to advertise the Magicians and turned that success into advertising hard for The Expanse.

Now that it’s going though I don’t think they will need it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay fine. I've started to read the books.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Good idea!

• Options
    If that's true then:

DOOM!

• Options
    Who the hell's Jim Murray and why should I take him seriously? Alcor said they were going to shop the show around; not much sense in doing that whilst also taking down and selling off the sets.

Ah, he's the Props Master.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Suggestion for new thread title:
    You know a lot about how series die.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    According to thr above Jim Murray, Netflix is not an option. Amazon’s the only hope for the show.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/154567691728757/permalink/384700638715460/

If we don't hear by Monday, that's probably it.

According to him this is because it's holding up space on a busy set in Toronto, so if they're not producing it's just wasting stage fees and space.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    According to thr above Jim Murray, Netflix is not an option. Amazon’s the only hope for the show.

That's bad news for Canada then, those guys are a pain the ass to deal with in my experience.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Season 3 blu-ray preorders are currently 21 on Amazon's blu-ray bestseller list:

https://www.amazon.com/Expanse-Season-Three-Blu-ray/dp/B07CLRMK6D/

• Options
    There's rumors of a meeting between Amazon and Alcon, and site striking has been pushed to Wednesday, per the same source.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    As an Amazon Prime subscriber, doing my part:
    Hello,

This is Wendi from Amazon Studios.

We appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback about Amazon Studios picking up "The Expanse". We welcome the opinions and suggestions of our Amazon customers.

I've forwarded your feedback along to the team involved in the future development of our Amazon Studios features.

We hope to see you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,
    Wendi R.
    Amazon.com

*cross fingers*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Nooooo!! I had not been able to watch the latest episode until this morning, so I hadn't clicked on this thread yet. I was hoping the 50+ posts was exciting talk about the episode.

Not cancellation... that's terrible. The show is too awesome to be canceled.

Hopefully the discussion with Amazon pans out, that would be super nice.

Now, discussion about the episode. Book spoilers included.
    Sorry to see Souther go :( . I was hoping he'd get off the King. But now we've got the hybrids being launched, and the Roci crew isn't even in the Io base yet.

I wonder if Holden is still going to go to the King to get the tracking codes or whatever. Coytar might do that instead, and send the codes before dying.

• Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/8j830i/netflix_and_amazon_and_sets_and_such/.compact

Producer/Senior VFX supervisor chimed in, agrees that Amazon is best bet. Says site striking on Wednesday isn't the end necessarily, and that they're staging things based off of what's easiest to replace. Calls out the change.org petition, actually.

• Options
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    image.png

Flying over Amazon Studios in Santa Monica right now

Edit: did not realize how ridiculously huge that image was

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Also, this fan-made trailer (warning: S3 spoilers) made the top post on all of reddit this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNjobkmzaOY

• Options
    Cas Anvar (Alex) had a livechat just a short bit ago. Main notes:

He spoke with people at SyFy and Alcon this morning. Apparently they're the #2 show on SyFy and could potentially be picked back up if there's enough of a bump in the Live and +3 ratings. Apparently 2x people watch DVR+3 as live, so it'd be a significant ratings bump if that shifted at all. He also said save your money, because it sounds like the last case scenario would be something directly supporting the show, which I have no idea how the fuck that would work.

So weirdly enough it's looking like SyFy may be back in the picture because of the response. Lack of mention of amazon in the thing (at least secondhand on my part) isn't super optimistic.

Anyway, tl;dr - try to watch live tomorrow if you can.

• Options
    Not that he didn't say that, but watching live at this point isn't going to help anything even if you had a Nielsen box (the only way they know you did). They're not going to change their minds over 1 night.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Great episode! Although I can’t believe they didn’t end it with:

(Book 2 Spoilers)
    “We need to talk.”

Goddamn I’m gonna miss this show if it doesn’t get picked up.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Some of the best parts of the episode. (TV-only spoilers)
    • Bobbie telling Avasarala to shut the hell up.
    • Bobbie kicking ass in her power armor.
    • Prax’s declaration of Amos as his best friend in the entire world (and Amos’ reaction).
    • “I am that guy.”
    • Anna’s face when she realizes that the SG is exactly the man Erinwright said he was.
    • dat ass
    • Space Venus Jellyfish.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »

(Book 2 Spoilers)
    “We need to talk.”

Disagree on spoilers, book 2 spoilers.
    Gate's gotta open first. That's gonna be the stinger. Gate opens, Holden is left alone, and then we need to talk

• Options
    Also, I suppose that was a pretty good episode to get a whole bunch of random people to watch to push ratings if you're trying to hook 'em in :V

• Options
    MASSIVE BOOK AND FUTURE EPISODE SPOILERS
    Episode after the next one is titled The Investigator.

So I expect some talking will be needed next episode.

• Options

(Book 2 Spoilers)
    “We need to talk.”

Gate's gotta open first. That's gonna be the stinger. Gate opens, Holden is left alone, and then we need to talk

I must be mis-remembering the end of Caliban’s War then.
    For some reason I was thinking the structures aren’t even mentioned lifting off from Venus until the prologue of book 3 (which I really hope they depict that scene in the show somehow). Is the ring actually open by the end of book 2? If so, then yeah you’re totally right.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options

(Book 2 Spoilers)
    “We need to talk.”

I must be mis-remembering the end of Caliban’s War then.
    For some reason I was thinking the structures aren’t even mentioned lifting off from Venus until the prologue of book 3 (which I really hope they depict that scene in the show somehow). Is the ring actually open by the end of book 2? If so, then yeah you’re totally right.

I could very well be mis-remembering myself, and now I think you're right. That being said
    For the TV show, connecting to the central computer causing it to blink into existence makes "sense"

• Options
    I'm still watching Episode 6, but this caught my eye and I just had to crop a screenshot, lol
    gv520s059b6g.png

• Options
    Haha holy shit that’s amazing.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Woo! fun episode.

Some notable divergences from the book, but somewhat expected. Pieces had to be moved, and they didn't have time to do a couple of things so events were accelerated.

Book spoilers:
    Having Naomi and Alex go to the King was a bit odd, but there wasn't really time for Holden to help find Mei and then go to the King.

A small part of me wanted a more faithful recreation of Holden on the King, but the show has very much shied away from the Zombie Horror aspects. And the way they did it here gives a nice ending for Coytar.
    It would be interesting to see his fight through the King and how he gets to the engineering area to detonate the ship like that though. Maybe they'll have a flashback at some point.

So it looks like, based on episode titles, we'll get "we need to talk" at the end of the next episode?
    It would have been fun to have that be end of season thing, but season length isn't really letting them do that.

The descriptions for the next two episodes are up on the Expanse Wiki.
    Here's the link (spoiler there obviously): http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Season_3

Spoilers based on those descriptions, with book stuff. Pretty big book stuff, so don't click if you don't want spoilers:
    It comes right out and says "old friend" in the description for episode 8. That must mean we see him in episode 7.

It also sounds like we get to see Filip? It says "young belter makes a name for himself". That must be Filip.

And we get Clarissa in episode 8, as "mysterious low-level tech". Woo! Do we know if it's the same actress? Not sure they're going to be able to play up the look-a-like angle.
    Her implants are fairly key, so I wonder how they'll do her getting them so quickly.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    Woo! fun episode.

Some notable divergences from the book, but somewhat expected. Pieces had to be moved, and they didn't have time to do a couple of things so events were accelerated.

Book spoilers:
    Having Naomi and Alex go to the King was a bit odd, but there wasn't really time for Holden to help find Mei and then go to the King.

A small part of me wanted a more faithful recreation of Holden on the King, but the show has very much shied away from the Zombie Horror aspects. And the way they did it here gives a nice ending for Coytar.
    It would be interesting to see his fight through the King and how he gets to the engineering area to detonate the ship like that though. Maybe they'll have a flashback at some point.

So it looks like, based on episode titles, we'll get "we need to talk" at the end of the next episode?
    It would have been fun to have that be end of season thing, but season length isn't really letting them do that.

The descriptions for the next two episodes are up on the Expanse Wiki.
    Here's the link (spoiler there obviously): http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Season_3

Spoilers based on those descriptions, with book stuff. Pretty big book stuff, so don't click if you don't want spoilers:
    It comes right out and says "old friend" in the description for episode 8. That must mean we see him in episode 7.

It also sounds like we get to see Filip? It says "young belter makes a name for himself". That must be Filip.

And we get Clarissa in episode 8, as "mysterious low-level tech". Woo! Do we know if it's the same actress? Not sure they're going to be able to play up the look-a-like angle.
    Her implants are fairly key, so I wonder how they'll do her getting them so quickly.

about "low-level tech" spoilers:
    Its not the same actor as Julie. Its Nadine Nicole. Yeah, I think they might breeze past any look-a-like angle, but I don't think thats really that big a deal.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
This discussion has been closed.