• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    it doesn't qualify as irrational under a rigorous axiomatic approach either
    damn u and your knowing stuff ronya
    i was going to make the argument that it doesn't qualify as irrational under a layperson understanding because of the persistent risk aversion observed in experiments but now its just pointless

oh the problem here is that the kind of risk aversion observed in experiments can be inconsistent with rational versions of risk aversion, at least by the most obvious intuitive formalizations of 'rational'
    thats why i'm talking about laypeople's understanding of the word. i'd imagine most people aren't willing to say "oh well everyone's irrational"

well the funny thing is that if you go teaching laypeople the rigorous definitions, they often do embrace it as a normatively superior "rationality". hence the apparent sociopathy of economics majors in lab experiments, etc

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    maebe econ majors are sociopaths maek u think

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    j/k its not like they are in business school

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

What about us Econ minors?

>.>

• Options
    nobody bites at a rational ranking of butts? tough crowd

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I think reactions have ruined my love for D&D. You go into any contentious thread, there's like four people talking down one person, and everyone is hi5ing each other. It just strikes me as meh.

In some threads it can stay pretty civil and fair, like I quite like the middle east thread. There's some posters there who drive the majority nuts, but they'll still get a lot of agrees when they do make a good point.

Too often it feels like everyone just throws the agrees to demonstrate solidarity with like, "their side" of the argument, even if the actual argument being made isn't actually good.

Then it usually just turns into dogpiling.

That is exactly how I feel Kana thank you.

Yeah but I'd argue that's a feature not a flaw

Between 25 little icons under a post or 25 separate posts saying essentially the same thing over and over except with maybe some slight variations, just enough that the person who wants to reply might have to address a dozen of them individually causing them to just say fuck it and walk away entirely, mixed in with people who are literally doing nothing but quoting the post with lime tags added

I'll take the little icons 100% of the time.

A dogpile is always gonna be a dogpile. I'd rather not have to sift through it given the choice.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    does that make sociology majors econopaths?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I click agree because I am terrible with words and usually others say what I am feeling much better than I could myself.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    @jacobkosh i dunno about your thoughts on scarjo being in the new GITS but god damn that sounds like an amazing pick to me

she's really experimented with non-human roles recently and she has a really unearthly facial proportion thing going on too

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    someone explain generalized maximum entropy to me

idgi

is it a cruel trick perpetrated by physicists seeking to taunt us

mranthropy ...?

@‌ronya

Pretty much?

I haven't really used GME in practice, but you can think of it as a dual to maximum likelihood estimation. The basic idea being that GME tries to get you the distribution that makes the least amount of commitments (maximizes conditional uncertainty/information entropy), but fits your observed set of constraints.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    GOTS?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I know that copyright law is based on incentivizing work. To me, it is a moral issue (one of the few true moral issues I recognize). If I take some of my finite time on this earth and use it to create art which I seek to monetize, then your use of it without my permission to make money or otherwise profit yourself is wrong because you have taken the benefit of my time without compensation.

That is a maxim you surely do not apply consistently.

People get benefit from all sorts of things without compensating others. Furthermore, the are multiple possible systems of compensating people and the way copyright works is not it the only way so support of copyright doesn't follow from that maxim either.

I hold that anything which you do for compensation should be something you have exclusive control over. You can contract with someone to give them the right to use your work for profit, but then you should factor that into the price you demand. I like license models better than ownership models because they explicitly limit rights.

It isn't the existence of systems of compensating that I care about as much as it is control. Copyright in some form seems like the best solution because it is literally the creation of a right of control.

Again, the first part is a maxim that you certainly do not consistently apply.

The post as a whole has no relationship to what you said earlier. It's not incompatible, just irrelevant
    spacekungfuman‌

Why do you say I don't consistently apply that. I do.

Well, to choose a fairly obvious exception - employers, not employees retain exclusive control of the work employees do. Individuals who produce physical things.

Though, wait, time out. Does is the "you should" language indicative of giving advice or is it the explanation of an alleged moral principle?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    GOTS?

ghost in the shell, but on

shut up!

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    nobody bites at a rational ranking of butts? tough crowd

Sorry ronya I gave up on your posts long ago

I just assume they are all going to be eldritch economic incantations

(except for the ones that are dog pictures those are neat)

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I ate like a pound of jalapenos earlier and I've been shitting green and pain for the last hour

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    you got got, son

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    I click agree because I am terrible with words and usually others say what I am feeling much better than I could myself.

...which I suppose is maybe ironic since I post so much nonsense in chat.

Should have made THAT one of my resolutions...

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Page 103? When do we go all Lord of the Flies, page 109?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I ate like a pound of jalapenos earlier and I've been shitting green and pain for the last hour

Well I mean when you load your bowels with the fruit version of broken glass....

what did you think was going to happen?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Gim wrote: »

We're already there

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »

What about us Econ minors?

>.>
    ...i have to return some videotapes

• Options

Yes but I stab you in your kidneys and take your booze long before that

Page 105 or so

Hmm I probably shouldn't have warned you

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I know that copyright law is based on incentivizing work. To me, it is a moral issue (one of the few true moral issues I recognize). If I take some of my finite time on this earth and use it to create art which I seek to monetize, then your use of it without my permission to make money or otherwise profit yourself is wrong because you have taken the benefit of my time without compensation.

That is a maxim you surely do not apply consistently.

People get benefit from all sorts of things without compensating others. Furthermore, the are multiple possible systems of compensating people and the way copyright works is not it the only way so support of copyright doesn't follow from that maxim either.

I hold that anything which you do for compensation should be something you have exclusive control over. You can contract with someone to give them the right to use your work for profit, but then you should factor that into the price you demand. I like license models better than ownership models because they explicitly limit rights.

It isn't the existence of systems of compensating that I care about as much as it is control. Copyright in some form seems like the best solution because it is literally the creation of a right of control.

Again, the first part is a maxim that you certainly do not consistently apply.

The post as a whole has no relationship to what you said earlier. It's not incompatible, just irrelevant
    spacekungfuman‌

Why do you say I don't consistently apply that. I do.

Well, to choose a fairly obvious exception - employers, not employees retain exclusive control of the work employees do. Individuals who produce physical things.

Though, wait, time out. Does is the "you should" language indicative of giving advice or is it the explanation of an alleged moral principle?

SKFM thinks this is ok because you you get paid to work.

You agree to it.

Thought I'd argue that the vast majority of employment contracts in the US are made under duress so...

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    GOTS?

ghost in the shell, but on

shut up!

It's good casting.

Surprised she took it, though. When was the last time someone was excited for a western adaptation of a Japanese animated film?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I think it'll just depend on what they actually try to do with the GitS movie. People have done a lot of different kinds of stories with the property, so hopefully they'll at least try to do something smart with it.

And hopefully it'll be her beating the crap out of suckers, and not just twirling around.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Well I mean when you load you bowels with the fruit version of broken glass....

what did you think was going to happen?

this is an amazing description

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

Hopefully Geth has the conch.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

We're already there

Finally, an excuse to wear face paint and eat P10.

• Options

We're already there

Finally, an excuse to wear face paint and eat P10.
    i'm flattered

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 4.7

@skippydumptruck will create the new thread
    @knitdan is backup

This discussion has been closed.